LG Shooting New Phone Ad With Fancy Carousel

I stumbled across a shoot yesterday in Brookyln for a new LG phone commercial featuring a big ol’ carousel they stuffed into a warehouse in the Gowanus Canal area.

I think the concept is that as each customer enters, they have to sign up for a 2-month ride plan where they guess the number of minutes they will want to ride the merry-go-round during that period. However, if they stay on the ride longer than their minutes package, they get 1 carnival ticket per minute. And if they want to stop riding before their 2 months are up, they’ll have to pay an early “aw shucks” fee of 175 carnival tickets. Whee!

carousel.jpg

supernumerary.jpg

Comments

1. Angus99 says:

Or, “LG Phones – The First Choice Among Carnies”.

2. obits3 says:

Wow, that’s a complicated metaphor for the subsidized phone business model…

• danmac says:

I think the carousel is a metaphor for a merry-go-round.

• RvLeshrac says:

You know that the phones aren’t “subsidized,” right? You’re paying substantially higher fees for service that cover the “cost” of the phone.

Except you’re usually paying the major part of the *COST* of the phone up-front (a smartphone which costs $150 to manufacture, and you’re paying $100+Plan).

in the end, it is “cellphone layaway,” excepting that the cost of the product (the ETF) doesn’t decrease as you pay on the contract.

• obits3 says:

As with most things it depends…

T-Mobile has a month to month plan the is about $15-20/month cheaper, so when you get out of your contract and have “paid” for your phone, you can do month to month.

I think that Verizon’s ETF gets lower each month.

My Sprint smartphone plan is under $90/month with tax.

Not sure about AT&T

3. Bativac says:

This is an important consumer issue.

On a somewhat related topic, my LG phone just fell apart after 4 years of use. And I mean it literally fell apart. I was making a call last Wednesday when the 3 key fell off. I thought I’d be okay… then on Thursday, the 6 key fell off. Plus over the past two years, some kind of resin attaching the screen to the phone has started to separate.

So I finally had to replace it and went with a used 2nd generation iPhone. But thanks for the 4 years of being able to make and receive cellular calls, LG! That phone got better reception than the iPhone does!

• obits3 says:

“I was making a call last Wednesday when the 3 key fell off.”

I LOL’d =)

• Bativac says:

I seriously was going to keep the phone and just not call anybody (whose number I didn’t already have programmed in) if their number had a “3″ in it. But when the 6 fell off, my wife told me that was the last straw.

I don’t understand. I mean the phone made calls, it even had a camera (imagine that!). It was probably a fourth of a megapixel but it got the point across. Yet my wife insisted that it was time to move on.

• Portlandia says:

“But when the 6 fell off, my wife told me that was the last straw”

Is there some special signifigance of the number 6, what if the 9 had fallen of or a 1. Would that have also been a deal breaker?

Okay, end sarcasm.

This does remind me of a book called Ella Minnow Pea. It’s a story about a city that has a letter fall off the statue dedicated to their founder. They decide it’s a sign they should stop using that letter. It’s highly satyrical and a good read.

• dangerp says:

It would make phone directory trees very difficult to navigate…

• RvLeshrac says:

It is. Not the ad, but the salient point regarding cellphone contracts.
      —–
      My decade-old Nokia just doesn’t hold a charge. Since a battery for it now costs more than a new phone, I bought a new phone.

The Nokia still gets perfect reception everywhere I’ve ever been. Every new phone I’ve tried, and I’ve been through a dozen now, gets crap reception everywhere. I’m lucky if I can make a call even 1/10th of the time.

4. vmxeo says:

Ben, where in Brooklyn did you find this? Inquiring Brooklyn-based Consumerist readers want to know :)

5. aloria says:

You stumbled across this? You mean you just happened to come across this ad shoot and they let you in and allowed you to take some pictures? And even told you some of the details of the commercial?

Please share your Jedi mind trick skills, because if this were me, my camera would be confiscated and I’d be nursing a boot print on my behind.

• Ben Popken says:

Sure. It’s a place I walk by frequently. It’s just over a bridge so they can’t block the street off. One of the PA’s said that it was for a “phone commercial” – then I noticed one guy had a sheet in his pocket with a lot of phones and LG logos on it. Some actors were holding up whiteboards with their names on it and it said “LG” on either side of their names. When the actors changed, they changed the name on the whiteboard but the LG remained. So putting this all together I figured they were shooting an LG ad. Also I just started taking pictures. If anyone had tried to grab it they would have had some problems. It looked like they were just setting up equipment and getting blocking ready at that time. A sign said that they were shooting the next day as well. So since there weren’t any cameras and stuff they were probably a bit more chill then they might have otherwise been.

6. DanRydell says:

Cool story bro

7. MegFinn says:

This was at The Green Building. They rent it out for events and photo shoots and things like that. Having my wedding there next year!