Comic Strip Ponders Horrible Future Of The Grocery Shrink Ray

Team Consumerist aren’t the only ones with a watchful eye out for the Grocery Shrink Ray. Cartoonist Jen Sorensen of Slowpoke Comics recently noticed the phenomenon, and illustrates a bleak future for beloved products as the shrinkage continues. The fate awaiting the iconic plastic honey bear is too horrible to imagine.

foodpackaging.png

Incredible Shrinking Groceries [Slowpoke Comics] (Thanks, Lafin!)

Comments

1. bluevideo says:

“Hole wheat”… I see what you did there.

2. Murph1908 says:

Cheerios with bigger holes would be great! Then I could more easily ring them around the pretzel sticks in my homemade Chex Mix.

3. discounteggroll says:

I’d buy a tub of ice cream if it had a vinyl gnome in it. Now that I think about it, I don’t recall typing the words vinyl or gnome before in my life

• Murph1908 says:

I have typed vinyl and gnome in the same sentence before, but that’s a time in my life I’d rather forget.

• Bremma says:

I would too! It would be so awesome! And not with donuts, but I’ve seen skinny large holed bagels. It makes me sad.

4. obits3 says:

Does this mean that I will get bigger donut holes?

5. dolemite says:

Heh, that’s great.

6. Blueskylaw says:

I predict that in the year 2020 some soup company will have an advertising campaign bragging about their “same low price” but not mention that their can size is now 1 ounce.

7. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

The generic honey bears at my store already look like the stage 2 dismemberment one. I don’t think I can take it if they… they… *sob*

8. Slave For Turtles says:

I still remember when they started whipping 3 Musketeers into fluffy nothiness. Suddenly, their candy bars weighed a lot less, and as someone who really likes that nougat-stuff, I was very disappointed with the new texture. Oh, you say it’s got fewer calories now? Yeah, air does that (duh), but funny how the price didn’t drop. As far as I’m concerned, it qualifies as a shrink-ray example, one from many years ago.

9. AllanG54 says:

Well even the bags at the supermarket have downsized so I still fill up as many bags even though I have less product.

10. Hungry Dog says:

I’ve always wondered that about the honey bears. I always thought the limbs were shrinking through years of non use.

11. Hakib says:

You know, this really wouldn’t be all that bad…

We’ve been super-sizing everything for the past 30 years. I think we could use a decent belt-tightening on certain classes of food.

12. hypochondriac says:

Wonder where they will draw the line, and just start raising prices

• ScarletsWalk says:

I’d rather that they had done this all along. It throws off recipes that call for “one can” or “one package” and don’t indicate ounces or whatever.

• Firethorn says:

I’m getting to the point where for one of my recipes I may have to toss TWO cans of cream of chicken into the casserole rather than one. The older bigger cans had enough, but the new ones, I swear they’ve chopped them down even more than what the label says, somehow.

Making a double batch and using 3 cans or the ‘family size’ might work better, but do I need that much casserole?

• ihatephonecompanies says:

More likely in a couple of years they’ll introduce a “jumbo” size the same size as the regular used to be…

• catnapped says:

They already do that…shrink ray + raise the price.

Their rationale “well if we hadn’t value-sized the product it would be even more expensive!”

13. Vandil says:

Many “honey” bear/beehive containers might not even have honey in them any more. Many have converted to honey-flavored corn syrup, hoping the bear or beehive container shape fools you.

14. Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

I just noticed yesterday that the toilet paper tube in Scott’s TP is bigger than it was the last time I bought it. The old tube slides right in the new one, with a few microns to spare. First they made the rolls shorter and now this. So f**k you, Scott’s — I’m going generic/bulk.

• LucasM says:

Yeah… and the toilet tissue is also narrower… and since each “sheet” is square that means that there’s less length too. Argh… I get tired of being manipulated.

15. mxjohnson says:

2 Musketeers, hah hah. I’m guessing the author of Slowpoke Comics has no idea there used to be three varieties of 3 Musketeer bars in every package. That shrinkray hit during WWII.

16. diagoro says:

Just heard some comedy from Mitch Hedberg (the Mitch All Together cd)…..”the kit kat bar has the name Kit Kat imprinted right on it, that’s a chocolate saving technique. I went down the the factory, you owe me some letters”..

In this case, wonder how large/deep the letters will gonna eventually get……