Dentists Launch Halloween Candy Buy-Back Program

A pair of Philadelphia-area dentists want to pay you cash for whatever Halloween candy you have left and send it overseas to troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Dentists Nalin and Arpan Patel, of Fairless Hills, PA, are offering to pay $1 a pound for the leftover candy.

“Not only will it save your teeth, our troops that are serving our country overseas will be able to enjoy a Halloween away from home,” the dentists explained. “Now during these hard times, the spirit of giving and helping is needed more than ever.”

They are accepting candy from November 1-5.

Dentists offer Halloween candy buyback program [Reuters]

Comments

1. jesirose says:

Someone clearly doesn’t care about the troop’s teeth! Bastards.

• Mulva says:

The soldiers also use the candy as “goodwill” with the local kids in Iraq, etc.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

So they don’t care about the children’s teeth in those countries?

• dolemite says:

I just had to comment on your avatar. “He was number one!”

• minjche says:

It was his hat Mr. Krabs!

Side note, I still get a kick out of the fact that the voice of Mr. Krabs is the same actor who played the lead prison guard in Shawshank Redemption (Clancy Brown / Captain Hadley).

• alana0j says:

Holy crap I know! Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies ever, and Spongebob is one of my favorite cartoons. It’s one of the few my daughter watches that doesn’t drive me crazy :)

• jesirose says:

It was sarcasm, but that’s awesome. So the dentists are trying to ruin the teeth of the Iraqi children.

Still bastards.

• Mulva says:

Yeah, sorry, I got it – meant to phrase my reply better… too distracted whilst raiding my daughter’s stash of Halloween victory.

• MDSasquatch says:

I served in the USAF for 21 years; trust me they take the condition of everyone’s teeth very serious. A few pieces of candy is not going to rot someone’s mouth.

• Groanan says:

I served in the Army for four years on active duty, and trust me, when I got out in 2004, they were too swamped with returning soldiers that they could not see me in the one year period I was there post deployment. They told me to go to the VA later and that I would be covered because they themselves could not see me. I did not have tooth pain for awhile after I got out, never went to the VA (also feared the VA would charge me if they said it wasn’t service related), and then, in 2009, every tooth in my mouth was either failing or on the verge of failure, requiring 3 root canals and 28 crowns. The VA only covers dental if the veteran is 100% disabled, I paid $37k out of pocket to fix teeth that most likely needed to be fixed in 2003 when it would have been free.

I would worry about the troops teeth until the VA expands to cover dental for all veterans.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

My dentist charges $100 for a cleaning. I have no insurance, but make sure to go twice a year and gladly pay. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

• jesirose says:

The dentists in the article seem to think so. “Not only will it save your teeth…”

• Spider Jerusalem says:

That was my first reaction too.

2. minjche says:

Heck if I were in the area I’d give them the candy for free.

3. Mulva says:
  4. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Eating leftover Halloween candy is tradition, one that these dentists hope you’ll share with the troops overseas…cause giving troops candy before Halloween was apparently too difficult?

5. c!tizen says:

If it’s the troops you want to send candy to just go to any store the day after Halloween, the candy is super cheap and you’re not sending them left over chocolate coated razorblades.

• Dover says:

Boy I hope you’re kidding.

• Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Do you know that the whole deadly candy thing only happened once? And it was done by the intended victim’s own father. To date there have been ZERO fatalities caused by tampered candy. I still can’t understand why this country hates Halloween so much.

Maybe the whole ‘fear of candy’ thing is a way to boost holiday shopping sales or something.

• Warren - aka The Piddler on the Roof says:

Amendment: there have been zero fatalities from tampered candy that came from strangers (as far as I know). Every instance of death (there have been a handful) turned out to be premeditated murder wherein poisoned Halloween candy was used to cover it up. My apologies.

6. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

“Here Lewis, try this. It’s corn… that tastes like candy.”

“This tastes like SHIT!”

7. suez says:

My dentist in Shirlington, VA is doing the same thing, and has for some time.

8. obits3 says:

My drill is the drill that will fix all the cavities!

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Haha, this makes up for the miss on the Robot Article. :D

Gurren Lagan would be almost inspirational to me, if it weren’t so damned goofy. Like, FLCL-Level goofy.

• Phil Villakeepinitrreal says:

I see your GL reference and counter with Kamen Rider Kabuto:

“I am the man who stands at the top of defeating cavities!”
      or
      “The man who walks the path of healthy teeth. Tendou…Souji!”

Or maybe some Den-O?
      “The strength of my cavities will make you cry!”
      or
      “From start to finish, my cavities are always at a climax!”

• obits3 says:

“I’m going to tell you something important now, so you better dig the plaque out of those huge teeth of yours, and listen! The reputation of Team Orthogurren echoes far and wide… When they talk about its bad ass leader, the man of indomitable spirit and masculinity, they’re talking about me! The Mighty Patel!”

9. Macgyver says:

So a terrorist walks into a dentist office with poisoned candy, then they go send it to the troops, they eat it, they die, the terrorist wins.

10. Beeker26 says:

And this program will be followed shortly by one offering a discount to active military personnel.

11. Hoot says:

That dentist’s first name is Nalin? Gosh, I wish he had the last name Palin.

It’s already been a long day. Forgive me.

12. Kevin says:

In another report, I heard the troops gave most of the candy to the local kids in the middle east to improve relations there. And to score points with the MILFs.

13. dolemite says:

Honestly…does one mega dose of candy do any damage at all? I could see it if the kids ate candy on a daily basis, washed down with Mt. Dew (like me), but…I seriously doubt eating candy for 30 minutes then brushing your teeth is bad at all.

14. Kevin says:

It’s only a “buy back” if the candy came from the dentists in the first place.

15. Coles_Law says:

Hmm…I can currently buy candy corn for about $0.50/lb.

Hello, retirement!

16. pegasi says:

the kids that the troops interact with see candy so seldom, that to get some is such a treat to them, that they likely ration out what they do get… so a handful of candy to an iraqi or afghani kid would probably last them a while, as they don’t know when they’d see any more.

17. MikieJag says:

We do ration it out. Couple of pieces here and there. If we toss out too much it looks like Marti gra for beads. The kids start to fight and get rough. For some reason if there is just enough, peace, too much, fighting. Either way, they wave and don’t give the finger or throw rocks. I hate rocks..

18. AllanG54 says:

No news here. There’s a bunch of dentists that have been doing this out where I live on Long Island for a few years now.