A Nightclub Security Guard Tased Me — What Should I Do?

C, who is in the military, says a Taser-happy security guard hunted him down in the parking lot of a North Carolina nightclub, giving him a 50,000 volt “move along” message, and now he’s weighing his options as to how to proceed.

When the place was closing they turned the lights on and told everyone to leave i left with the buddy I came with there were several people arguing in the parking lot and people pulling out everywhere leaving the club. I then sat down in my buddy’s truck on the passenger side and smoked a cigarette waiting for the parking lot to clear out before we left I then was approached by a security guard and he told me to leave i told him that we were waiting for the place to clear out before we left so nobody was in the way or cars driving all over he then said to leave I said we are just waiting for people to leave he then Tased me in the right side of my chest and grabbed me from the truck threw me on the ground put handcuffs on my wrists and Tased me again.

He told me that I was going to have charges against me and then I asked him for his badge number and name which he refused to give me he wouldn’t tell me anything. I am in the military so I told my buddy that was with me to contact our people to let them know what has happened. The security guard then made me get into his car and tried to take me to the military police on base but he was refused access at the gate by the base security. Then at which point the MPs were called and i was released to them and all they did was just drop me off at my company with no charges filed against me or any paper work done against me. I am wondering if this security guard can legally do this to me and if i was such a problem why were charges not filed against me once I started asking him for his information.

The security company, I believe, is field force police security company I have been unable to find there contact information to file a complaint. I am wanting to know what I can legally do about this situation and if I do go to file complaint or charges against this individual/company or the club could they at that point try to file charges against me because I am taking action against them?

If you were in C’s shoes, innocent or not, what would you do to fight back against the Taser-blasting establishment?

Comments

1. FreshPorcupineSalad says:

Dial 911, seems a lot of people have a problem with this simple solution.

• MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

And tell them to send in the military…. oh wait.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Just to be clear, his friend should have done that at the time, but now he should dial the NON-EMERGENCY number for the police and file a report.

• Murbob says:

Calling the cops when you’re drunk is almost never a good idea. Had he been perfectly sober, he would probably have called them immediately.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

Also, call WRAL or one of the other stations in the area that love doing those hyperbole-laden “special investigations!” and let them know what happened. I’m guessing they’d jump on it.

• metalman420 says:

Sorry…but his post is SO terrible. Ever heard of
      a comma or a period. We have a new generation
      of people who cannot argue for themselves in a
      coherent manner and wonder why they cause
      themselves problems.

DONE……

• chefboyardee says:

I totally agree…except you forgot to end your question with a question mark. [grin]

• GGV says:

I had no problem understanding his story. His punctuation may not have been great, but his post was not “SO terrible”. Also, poor writing skills are common in all age groups and generations. Can we please get over the “kids these days” bit? Life wasn’t better and people weren’t smarter back in our day (assuming you’re a bit older like me). We just filter out the bad stuff.

• SolidSquid says:

Sorry, but why are you using an ellipsis instead of a comma? Ellipsis would imply that you had left words out of your sentence intentionally, but yours just seems to be missing a comma. Also, “DONE” is not a sentence, and as such makes little sense having an ellipsis after it. Having two ellipsis is just redundant.

Honestly, we have a new generation of people who cannot argue for themselves in a coherent manner and they wonder why they cause themselves problems.

• longdvsn says:

Depends on how drunk he was. If he’s pretty drunk, calling the cops will get him nowhere. The cop is going to side with the sober person on the scene and could even cite the OP for something like public intoxication.

• longdvsn says:

though…after reading more, he should have called the police the minute he was tased.

• Clumber says:

Particularly, I want to think, for the security goon to tase him after he was in the cuffs. That seems a bit… what word am I looking for…. excessive.

• uber_mensch says:

Field Force Special Police Inc
      Lumberton, NC 28358
      910-670-9543

2. Runner says:

File charges against the guard for assault, false imprisonment. Sue the guard, his manager, and the company they work for.

Then go after the club.

• Zen says:

You might also include battery, and on the part of the employer (since they have the deep pockets) a negligent hiring, negligent, training, and/or negligent supervision charge.

• cheezfri says:

Agreed. If he isn’t an actual policeman, he can’t hold you against your will unless you are committing a felony and in immediate danger of hurting someone. Not sure about the tasering. And although the MP’s didn’t witness any of that directly, they might be able to testify to the fact that the guy was being a jerk or something. And to the fact that you were in the guard’s custody unwillingly. Get an appointment with your unit’s JAG office. They may or may not be able to help you but it’s free and they can point you in the right direction if needed.

• PackerX says:

Actually, this would be kidnapping. False imprisonment is essentially when you refuse to let someone leave. But as soon as you actually transport them to another location, that’s kidnapping.

• 3skr1mad0r says:

While you’re at it, tase your friend for not stomping this guy’s guts in while this was going on.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Battery, assault and kidnapping. If the cops have a problem filing these charges then I suppose it would be okay to sap the guard, put him in a rucksack, take him to Afghanistan with you and turn him over to the tribal elders for a proper stoning. Clearly he needs to be turned in to the anti-freedom group he belongs to for discipline. But I’m no lawyer and you’d have to make sure no part of that plan runs afoul of any laws.

• Nisun says:

Charges are in order. If they have reason to tased you, then they SHOULD HAVE had reason to call the cops… Its pretty obvious they didn’t have reason so. You were kidnapped and assaulted. If they let you go after the fact its irrelevant to the crimes committed. File a report and lawyer up. I’m sure someone will take you case.

• kc2idf says:

Yes. Under the circumstances, it is pretty clear that a club that would employ such an individual needs new ownership. Does C want to own a club?

3. JakiChan says:

Fnd th cp nd shw hm wht -rnd-brst frm n M wld d t hs hd.

• MaliBoo Radley says:

Re-vowel the disemvoweled!

Fnd th cp nd shw hm wht -rnd-brst frm n M wld d t hs hd. = Found thee cap and show home whitey -round-burst firm in My wild doo tea has head.

• cortana says:

‘3’ is a vowel?? I NEVER KNEW!

4. Ilovegnomes says:

Contact the local law enforcement on a non-emergency number and ask if security guards are allowed to do this under local law.

5. c!tizen says:

wtr-brd hs ss!!!

6. humphrmi says:

First, I would learn how a period works in sentences.

Then, I would hire a lawyer and ask him.

• user765 says:

Also, to capitalize “I”, have some respect for yourself!

• c!tizen says:

“First, I would learn how a period works in sentences.”

… then you should work on singular vs. pluralization.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Actually, his/her use of pluralization was perfectly correct.

• StutiCebriones says:

Actually, it should be either “how periods work in sentences” or “how the period works in a sentence.”

• Timbojones says:

I’d say all of these are correct usage:
            “how periods work in sentences”
            “how a period works in a sentence”
            “how the period works in sentences” – in this case, ‘the period’ refers to the class of all periods.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

His use of “there” instead of “their”, however, was incorrect.

• c!tizen says:

I believe it should be:

- how a period works in a sentence -or-
          – how periods work in sentences -or-
          – how periods work -or-
          – how a period can ruin a man’s week

If you have one period separating multiple “sentences” then you have a sentence and a never ending statement. Grammatically speaking, of course.

• RandomHookup says:

Lawyers aren’t much better at figuring out punctuation.

7. obits3 says:

In addition to all the legal stuff, I would call the nightclub and tell them about the problem. Get this security company removed and run them out of business. I have no patience for sudo cops who abuse people’s rights.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

*pseudo-

Sorry, but that was really bugging me for some reason :( As for your remark though, I completely agree. The minute they stop doing this will be the minute we stop letting them.

• cardigan says:

In this case, the Taser acts as the sudo.

• UnbelieverDjak says:

If it was me, I’d send the club a letter explaining what kind of (reasonable) restitution I would like, and if they don’t respond to my satisfaction, I’d take it to the ombudsman, first shirt, or what have you.

Speaking as a former patron of such fine establishments, if a GI was there, a lot of their business probably comes from GIs. Unless he was underage or otherwise acting inappropriately, report the issue to the command. Let them handle it (it’s their property they’re damaging, after all). Either the club fixes the problem or the place gets red-listed.

If nothing else, I don’t know of any base that doesn’t have free legal services to consult.

• kc2idf says:

Off topic, but are you a UNIX administrator, by chance? (sudo?)

• obits3 says:

LOL, no. I am just a Linux enthusiast. I dual boot my PC at home with XP and Ubuntu. I find that Ubuntu is very stable and never have any real problems (except compatibility issues). =)

• kc2idf says:

Just curious.

I’ve been an almost completely exclusive Linux user (Ubuntu, RedHat, Mandrake, Slackware) for over a dozen years.

8. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Skip contacting the employer, file charges against the individual. You were not acting like a threat (based on this reading) so the security officer would face assault charges as well as anything else a lawyer can think of.

9. midwestkel says:

I would’ve told the MP’s to call the local police and file charges right then. The fact that the MP’s didn’t do that is a little surprising to me.

• Unclaoshi says:

The fact it happened off post you would have to go to the police off post to file a report the on post MP’s cant do anything about it because it happened off post.

Source myself a former MP

• Darren W. says:

And having someone brought into your domain while being held and transported against his will, in handcuffs by a person with no authority to do so isn’t sufficient reason to make an arrest?

10. Skellbasher says:

Call the cops.

Being assaulted by private security isn’t exactly a consumer issue. If you need a website to tell you not to spend money at establishments with over-zealous security guards with tasers, you have larger problems.

• jmurphy42 says:

How is this not a consumer issue? He was patronizing a place of business when he was assaulted by one of its employees. If a shopper had been assaulted by Wal-Mart security for not leaving their parking lot quickly enough, would you still be saying it wasn’t a consumer issue?

• Skellbasher says:

Assault is a legal matter.

If he was assaulted in a Wal-Mart parking lot, I would say the same thing.

Deal with the authorities. That’s it.

• thrillhouse says:

Assault and consumer issues are not mutually exclusive categories. There’s no reason why this can’t be a consumer issue, even if the right response is to go directly to the proper authorities. It’s both a consumer issue and a legal issue (see this).

• c!tizen says:
          • apd09 says:

Do you see how there are certain aspects of information that make it more relevant to a consumer related issue as opposed to the legal related request for advice provided by the OP since we have no name or location of the club?

• apd09 says:

not sure why my comment was missing somethings it should say

But every link you posted was from a named establishment, CVS, Wal-Mart, Forever-21, Target, Kroger, Kohls. That makes it a consumer issue when the name is provided and not too mention those are main stream stores that 90%+ of readers on this site frequent. This is a non named club, in a non named North Carolina city or town that most likely less than 1% of readers have potentially ever been a patron.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

So if it doesn’t impact me directly, I need to whine about it here? Damn all those NYC stories to hell!

• apd09 says:

but how does this impact you? someone was assaulted a nightclub, and as a former bouncer in 3 different states I can tell you that this happens quite often in cities around the country. I and others are just asking how this assault affects you as a consumer, that is all. Please help me to see how someone being assaulted at a club by a bouncer is a serious consumer issue when it happens almost every weekend. I have personally legally detained people in the same manner that the security guard did, albeit without using a taser, but I have handcuffed people and waited for the police to arrive.

As stated this seems like an assault issue not a consumer issue. Overzealous security guards and bouncers is nothing new, but when it is in a consumer setting like Wal-Mart, Target, etc… it is a completely different story than at a night club. Wouldn’t you at least agree to that point?

• Mom says:

If the establishment were named, would it have made a difference. It was obviously some low life bar in North Carolina. Living in California, I don’t actually care what the name of the place was. Dealing with overzealous bouncers at a bar (or a Walmart) is definitely a consumer issue.

• c!tizen says:

“The security company, I believe, is field force police security company”

Better?

On a side note, I was completely astonished that nothing was redacted in this story.

• Geekmom says:

Yay a new troll!

• apd09 says:

right, I am a troll because I do not agree with what you or others believe. Everyone has different opinions and I am entitled mine. I did not make a ridiculous statement like you did, I made an educated statement on how the comment above was about stores that were named while this is not. Try to be a little more tolerant of people and not so quick to dismiss them just because my opinion is not toeing the company line like yours seems to be.

• coren says:

It’s a consumer issue regardless of how many people do or don’t frequent the business. Just because I don’t go to that particular venue doesn’t mean I don’t need this info. Overzealous security can happen anywhere.

• apd09 says:

but the name of the bar was not provided. So it is no longer a consumer issue because we have no idea what place we should think twice about going to.

It just says a North Carolina Nightclub, make it a consumer issue by providing the name of the club, this is just a story of assault and someone looking for advice on what to do.

• Matzoball says:

Clearly from the article it was clear that the OP knew in advance that the guards were trigger happy taser hounds! WTF? My only guess is you were trying to be funny or sarcastic and just failed to pull it off in a way that is convincing. If no threatning language was exchanged I would be really pissed to. Better to go a legal/complaint avenue though than one of revenge.

• Skellbasher says:

Yes, I was going for sarcasm. Guess it missed.

I fail to understand why the guy felt the need to email The Consumerist about his situation. That’s what I was going for.

• apd09 says:

Nt t g ll wh dd ths mk t nd mn dd nt, bt t yr pnt snt Cnsmrst smthng Strd ftrnn, thn gn ystrd rgrdng th Trd Dt Plns fr Vrzn nw bng vlbl, FY $ bcks mnth fr mb. Y cn bt swtchd m phn vr Strd ftrnn ftr fnd t Frd nght. t hs nw bn dys wtht th lgtmt cnsmr rltd ss frm cmpn tht hs hd mn ngtv strs pblshd bt t n ths st nd nw tht pstv str bt thm ddrssng th nmbr ss frm cnsmrs, tht ws prt f pll tkn n ths st, s nt wrth pstng. cn s hw t s cnsmr ss fr ths prsn f th nm f th plc ws prvdd. Snc thr s n nm tnd t gr wth y bt hw ths s lgl mttr nd nt cnsmr rltd.

11. Opdelt says:

North Carolina is tricky. It sounds like the security officer works for one of the many private security companies in North Carolina that has been granted special police powers by the State. If he really wants to fight this, and it wont be easy, it would be best he contact the State agency that oversees these companies.

• Antrack13 says:

But the police aren’t allowed to tase under these circumstances, so the private security company can’t either.

• ludwigk says:

Holy shit, what kind of dystopian hell is N. Carolina? Mental Note: never go there!

• u1itn0w2day says:

Some states and insurance companies require security guards to be certified for non lethal weapons light batons,hand cuffs AND tasers. I think there are states that require civilians to be licensed to carry a taser.

The only courtesy the guard showed the op was to take him to the base rather than get local law enforcement involved. But while doing so he basically as others said falsely imprisoned or kidnapped him.

Lawsuit time, if nothing else it might stop it from happening to someone else.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

it seems like it happened in a military town [based on the proximity to the base] and the majority of businesses cater to the military or to their families. so it wouldn’t have just been courtesy but also good business sense to take him back to base. as in the security guard might not get fired for tasing a soldier but would probably get fired for turning the soldier over to the cops and making the MPs come pick him up.

12. dolemite says:

I read the story but it didn’t make a lot of sense I think I had trouble reading it because of the lack of punctuation but I could be wrong perhaps it was an aftereffect of being tased the author is unable to use punctuation of any kind except in extenuating circumstances I would contact a lawyer and proceed from there A security guard or policeman cannot just taser people for the fun of it

13. Thyme for an edit button says:

I would ask friends for a suggestion for a good lawyer, or call the county bar association for a refferal. I would want to sue for assault, battery, false imprisonment, and negligence.

14. dgm says:

File a criminal complaint with the police in the municipality where this happened. Assault, battery, kidnapping and false imprisonment.

Then file a civil suit against the thug and his employer.

15. farcedude2 says:

I’d guess go consult your JAG rep, or the legal assistance office. I don’t figure they had the right to detain you/haul you back to base, although without a recording of the incident at the scene, it’d be your word against theirs as to your and their conduct at the scene.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

The nice man gave you a free ride back to base. He normally tries to clean out the place as fast as possible so he can get home and watch WWW and RAW on his TiVo while perusing Playgirl mags but he took the time to give an inebriated serviceman a lift. How sweet.

16. crazydavythe1st says:

I am not a lawyer, so don’t take this as legal advice of any sort. That aside, I recommend you hire a lawyer. That’s what they are for.

17. Antrack13 says:

The police aren’t allowed to tase you under the described circumstances, and private security can’t either. Definitely contact your local police department – the private security officer committed aggravated battery and false imprisonment. If the police won’t listen, consider a civil suit. Even if you don’t want the money from a suit, you would prevent that security guard from abusing others in that manner.

• oldwiz65 says:

The police will most likely side with the private security people; they tend to stick together and some of them are often off-duty police officers anyway. Do not assume the police will help you.

• MrEvil says:

Most of the cops I’ve met look down upon and often ridicule private security officers. The term “Mall Ninja” comes to mind or “Whacker”

18. Norvy says:

Please use the settlement money to take an English class at your local community college.

19. hewhoroams says:

I’d probably just get some friends and go back to the club and tase him back.

20. Murbob says:

There are two sides to every story and we’re only hearing his side.

The bar is going to say he was drunk and disorderly or some version of that.

If you go to a public place were the general idea is to drink and get drunk, don’t get upset when you become a victim of the environment.

The story doesn’t add up.. as most drunk people’s stories don’t. The security guard told you (the passenger) to leave? How could he expect you to take control of the vehicle if you’re not the driver?

You could sue but you’ll just get beat up with attorney’s fee’s.

You drink, you loose.

I hear alcohol is the most dangerous drug there is. Perhaps you should switch to something else.

• Antrack13 says:

You don’t lose (not loose, btw) all your civil rights just because you’re drunk. No one – not the cops or private security – is allowed to tase you for being disorderly or even for trespassing. Unless the other side of the story is that he attacked the security guard or another patron, the security guard had no justification for assaulting him was a potentially deadly weapon.

• Tim says:

“A drunken man is as much entitled to a safe street, as a sober one, and much more in need of it.” Robinson v. Pioche, Bayerque & CO. 5 Cal. 460 (1855)

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Maybe I missed it, but where exactly did the OP even STATE he had even ONE single drink? Let alone that he was “drunk” which for some would constitute multiple drinks (especially over an entire night). Don’t ass-ume [sic] that you know what his state of being was at the time without any evidence to suggest it.

You’ve been RTFA’d!

• Murbob says:

Military guy at a bar until the bar closes?
        LOL.

Ya.. I’ll admit there’s a snowball chance in hell I could be wrong but I doubt it. Had he NOT been drinking, he probably would have clearly said so.
        Sometimes it’s not what they say, its what they don’t say.

• HideYaKidsHideYaWife says:

“Because drinks and late-night machismo were involved, take his story for what it’s worth:”

was that not part of the article?

Maybe you need to RTFA Loias.
        “C” also needs to work on his grammar. That letter was a giant run-on.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

First, that statement you quoted was written by PHIL the writer, not the OP.

Second, I prefaced with that I read the article and did not see his admittance of alcohol use and/or abuse.

I know you REALLY want to “get” me by proving I didn’t read the article as an ironic situation against my username. But sorry, you failed miserably and I simple must laugh at your feeble attempt.

Read The F&*%ing comments.

You’re been RTFC’d and RTFA’d!

• HideYaKidsHideYaWife says:

was that not part of the article?

Maybe you need to RTFA Loias.
        “C” also needs to work on his grammar. That letter was a giant run-on.

• wanpakumono says:

In the article it mentions that his buddy was with him too. That means he has a witness to the events. This should help should the OP decide to take further action.

• Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

loose=not tight
      lose=to not win

Smugness is the most dangerous drug out there, my friend.

• common_sense84 says:

“The bar is going to say he was drunk and disorderly or some version of that.”

There is nothing they can say that gives them the right to pull a guy out of the passenger seat of a vehicle and slap cuffs on him.

21. duxup says:

Cripes I would think being teased would be a pretty traumatic event. I would have been calling the cops right then and there, or at least hoped my buddy would do so.

22. travel_nut says:

pg:cr

Poor grammar; couldn’t read.

“I then sat down in my buddy’s truck on the passenger side and smoked a cigarette waiting for the parking lot to clear out before we left I then was approached by a security guard and he told me to leave i told him that we were waiting for the place to clear out before we left so nobody was in the way or cars driving all over he then said to leave I said we are just waiting for people to leave he then Tased me in the right side of my chest and grabbed me from the truck threw me on the ground put handcuffs on my wrists and Tased me again. “

Run-on sentences make my head hurt.

23. Hoot says:

I bet this wasn’t all to the story. I doubt the OP was being an innocent angel. And I’m making that judgment based solely on the fact that he was clearly out being a hoodlum instead of sitting in class during elementary, middle, and high school English.

Also, if someone assaults you for absolutely no reason, aren’t most people smart enough to call the authorities? And not get in their car? Either this person was too drunk or too stupid to act like a rational adult.

• Michaela says:

I am glad I am not the only one who questions the man’s supposed perfect behavior. Drunk people aren’t always the best at controlling their emotions, so this man could have come off a bit more threatening than he believes (however, we unfortunately don’t know the details about how drunk he was that evening, or his typical behavior under the influence of alcohol).

Also, I am a bit confused as to how the cop tased him. Did he reach up and do it through the car window?

24. Unclaoshi says:

Source myself a former MP

25. rhys1882 says:

You should sue the club and security company.

All companies operating within a state have to register with the secretary of state for that state an agent for service of process, i.e., a person to whom notice of a lawsuit can be sent. Look up the company name on the secretary of state website. If they are not registered they can be fined by the state for operating in the state without registering their business with the secretary of state.

If you still cannot find their contact information, serve the night club and then propound discovery on the night club to get the contact information for the security company.

26. Anri says:

Was he still drunk when he wrote this? I couldn’t even finish it.

27. Angry JD says:

He can’t. You sue him and the nightclub for assault and reckless endangerment.

28. Gravitational Eddy says:

Let it slide and try to grow some hair on them balls son.

Just because some redneck taser-happy local used you to get his jollies
    doesn’t mean you have to reciprocate -right now-.

Get his SS number, I.D. him and send him a Christmas card every year,
    to his home address. Even include your picture. But just remind him of this incident each and every year.
    DO NOT threaten, make any promises, try to claim damages or anything else.
    Just ask him to remember tasing you and handcuffing you. Hell I’d even provide the time and date it happened.
    Just remember, he’s probably counting on you NOT remembering anything about it, and if you force him to remember what he did, it could wear on him really well.
    I guarantee he’ll freak out ten times more if you continue this on down through the years.

I did this to an idiot I had on my case in high school some years back. He was very cocky after he beat me up in the parking lot at school. (it wasn’t a real fight: he used his “friends” to hold me down while he kicked at me)
    After about 10 years of birthday cards, he was very less cocky and quite a bit more non-combative. A talker as it were. I did let him know I didn’t forget what he did, and that I’d been thinkin about how he fought with me all those years back…I even let him know I’d been kicked out of the Marine Corps for anger management issues.
    I let him know where I lived, and continued sending the cards, always marking them “this is because of you” as a short note.
    Hell, he even tried to get a restraining order against me because he was convinced I was going to kill him. I had to stand in front of a judge and declare I’d never done anything to him, or tried to contact him other than by mail and he had to swear that that was true. I’ve totally freaked this clown out and I actually -did- contribute to his divorce…
    And I did this with birthday cards. Just your average Hallmark moment…

• travel_nut says:

That’s seriously creepy, man.

• stevenpdx says:

Obsess much?

Sometimes, you just gotta let things go, man.

• therealchriss says:

This is one of the creepiest things I’ve ever read on the internet.

• dolemite says:

Well…after 10 years, he’d be almost 30, so I’m guessing he kind of grew up from that insecure 18 year old that beat up people in the parking lot. Maybe had a family of his own?

• CookiePuss says:

“After about 10 years of birthday cards, he was very less cocky and quite a bit more non-combative.”

Maybe that’s because most people don’t hold such grudges over a high school fight. People also mature quite a bit 10 years after their high school days.

Why didn’t you just kick his ass back in high school when he wasn’t with his buddies? You would’ve saved quite a bit on postage.

• webweazel says:

Yup. This is very creepy. I LOVE IT! I’m going to file this one in my cranial file cabinet under “payback”. Thanks for the tip!

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

ROTFLMAO Love it ;^)
      Too bad I can’t start that now since most the bullies I had to deal with ended up in prison for things like stabbing a cop to death and firebombing a school.

29. rpm773 says:

A Nightclub Security Guard Tased Me — What Should I Do?

Well, as this is Consumerist.com….

Chargeback?

30. ajaxd says:

Let it go. I watched two of my neighbors feud it out over some lame argument. In the end they had nothing to show for it except for police records for both.

31. guymandude says:

Blanket party.

32. TerpBE says:

That first paragraph had fewer periods than The Golden Girls.

33. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

How do you get tased on the right side if you are sitting in the passenger seat?

34. tweeder82o says:

send troops to the location of the security guard, and go to war for the better part of the decade

35. RosevilleWgn says:

I’d check in with your CO, and get a checkup at your assigned MTF.

36. Hollihocks says:

I worked at a popular Atlanta nightclub for two years and dealt with these incident reports all the time in the office. File a police report to press charges for assault. The club WILL have cameras or some sort of log or something for the parking lot, especially if they own it. The club WILL try and fight it and play dumb, dumb dumb, but don’t let them.

If they don’t own the parking lot then it’s not their jurisdiction to police (for instance, the lot next to ours was owned by Parking Co. of America)

Asshole security guards ALWAYS get what they deserve. Just start the police proceedings and BE HONEST. Don’t try to get more than you’re worth or overblow the details or story or what you do/don’t remember.

37. kenj0418 says:

You need to have the base CO or someone else high up to back up the OP and threaten the local sheriff that he will bar all base personnel from visiting local town (and thus severely hurting the local economy). Sheriff will then go crazy and make up false charges against the OP’s kid and send him to a work camp. Then OP will need take his Sherman Tank and take matters into his own hands. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088224/ )

38. Jfielder says:

Holy crap… Step one, file assault and kidnapping charges… now… do it now! Step two, hire lawyer, use his help for criminal prosecution and then also sue the bejesus out of the individual, the company he works for, then the club, if you’re feelin’ it.

39. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

what if it turned out to be this place?

that’d be some bad luck to have security busy accosting a person who was behaving himself while a crazy gunman is shooting up the place.

i am not saying this is in any way related, i just happened to have read that story earlier and was thinking to myself “did the sports bar have anyone working security that night and if so where were they while this was going on?”
    although, incidentally, that bar is in fayetteville, NC which is a military town.

40. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Am I the only one disturbed by the fact that our country is being defended by someone who can’t write a coherent letter?

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

They’re the expendable ones, like the red shirts in Star Trek. While you’ve been soaring in your elitist circles, you may not have noticed that ~45% of American kids can’t pass basic English when they finish high school. Hell in a hand-basket, I tell you.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

Tell me about it. We are doing employment testing for factory jobs and at least half of the applicants can’t test above 8th grade in reading (which includes grammar) and math. It’s sad. All of these people graduated from high school but didn’t get anything much past elementary school.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Long ago we were hiring for our computer store and gave applicants a blank sheet of paper. We instructed them to write a paragraph explaining their capabilities. The results were very revealing. Many applicants failed miserably. I’m poor at grammar but at least I’m coherent.

• Scuba Steve says:

This isn’t the UN, we don’t rely on strongly worded letters to defend ourselves.

• Erika'sPowerMinute says:

I’m gonna go out on limb here and guess that he’s a 22 year old E2 from Fort Bragg or Camp LeJeune. This is not a demographic whose members got where they are by virtue of their mad communication skillz.

41. common_sense84 says:

The security guard just kidnapped you. You need to report this crime to the local police.

Because he used cuffs and actually detained you, this sounds like he was pretending to be a police officer.

42. OnePumpChump says:

This is a club near a military base? Is the base the biggest thing going on in that town?

If so, go through your first sergeant and/or officers. Get the club placed off-limits for military personnel. Any discussions your superiors have with the club owners will have that implicit threat behind them. Depending on the specifics of the local economy, that could be a death sentence for a business like that.

43. GMurnane says:

Why do people not contact a good lawyer ASAP??

44. Pax says:

Armed Assault charges with the police.

Also, civil suit against the bouncer and whatever establishment he was working for at the time.

45. Tim says:

Holy run-on, Batman!

46. Scuba Steve says:

Step 1: Lawyer up. If you can’t do step 1, Then drop it. People get away with stuff all the time, just don’t visit that bar anymore.
    Step 2: Ask the lawyer what your options are. Its basically his word against yours, and he wasn’t drunk. Cops and Judges often times side with the sober party. Actually you’re lucky, because if the cops were called, you would have been arrested. Its not fair, but if a cop gets called he’s most likely going to write some tickets or take someone to jail. Drunk and Disorderly would have been easy to prove, while Battery would not.

Step 3: If there’s video evidence, or evidence by more than 3 credible witnesses, then you might have something. Again, the lawyer would be more experienced in this sort of thing. I don’t give out legal advice and you shouldn’t pursue any legal action without the help of an attorney thats qualified to practice in your state.

Step 4: Find a new place to drink.

47. framitz says:

A sober person would have called the police immediately when the ASSAULT happened.

48. TTFK says:

As a former bouncer, this story reeks of One Sided Syndrome.

The likely truth: The “victim” got mouthy, told the security guy to mind his own business, and threatened to “get his homies and take his ass out” before , in bouncer parlance, “Being safely neutralized in the least harmful and most efficient manner available.”

Bar parking lots, even “public” pay ones, are also private property. Security personnel are perfectly within their rights to incapacitate someone when they feel violence is imminent.

At this point, the OP should be lucky he doesn’t get his ass handed to him by his superiors, never mind the security company.

• Greely says:

A big part of the job is to not beat every drunk with a mouth’s ass, especially if it’s some tool sitting in the parking lot (in a car no less) after close.

49. sopmodm14 says:

best answer is to have your DELTA/DEVGRU connections to address him and his issue

a legal course-of-action should be explored, but since you may/not be on leave or redeployment, it might take a long time for it to goto trial or someting

50. StarVapor says:

Too late now, you had broken no law, but you could have called a cop to come and assist you in a citizens’ arrest of the guard for assault and the apparent kidnapping when you were made to get into the guard’s car.

51. Not Given says:

Rule #1, when you get in your car immediately lock the door.

52. Darwin says:

Do yourself a favor and do your drinking at home. You obviously can’t handle your liquor in public.

53. Kibit says:

Why is it that if this story had been a consumer talking about a situation with a retail business then Consumerist would automatically believe them, but since it was a solider who was at a club and had a few drinks they don’t seem to believe him?

54. tehbob says:

hey C, just be careful about this so that you dont get an ARI

55. Buddha says:

This has nothing to do with this website. Call the real police and call a lawyer.

56. gargunkle says:

Unfortunately, this is basically unreadable due to the complainer’s inability to type.

57. davidsco says:

Don’t taze me, Bro

58. thrashanddestroy says:

Look, I tried reading the first sentence until I realized it was a paragraph long. Until this guy learns to use proper punctuation, I think he deserves to get tased a few more times.

Why are you even posting articles like this? Yeah, he has a valid argument, but if he can’t muster the effort to sound halfway literate, who cares.

59. mydailydrunk says:

Question for OP – to clarify, you’re saying he reached inside the truck to taze you and then dragged you out of it to handcuff you?

60. DragonThermo says:

I second the motion to sue the club and the security company, as well as file a police report.

Even if the OP was being belligerent earlier, it sounds like an ex post facto tasing. Clearly, the rent-a-cop tasing people out of the blue is not qualified to be carrying a taser.

61. mcgyver210 says:

If any private Security makes any attempt to touch me I will defend my self with the force needed to repel their attack period. So if they have a deadly weapon such as a taser they may find I have a equal or better defense. Private Security is out of control & seems to think they are real cops.

62. jwissick says:

Should have called 911 and had the asshole guard arrested.

63. Mcshonky says:

It is assualt plain and simple.