Easily Find Your Polling Location With Google

For the quickest and easiest way to figure out your polling location for tomorrow, just Google for the word “vote.” A little search box with a vote button next to it will appear. Type in your home address and you’ll get a handy Google Map showing you your nearest place to go vote.

Comments

1. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Doesn’t work so well in my area:

Your Voting Location
    We were unable to locate this voting place on the map. Please check with your election officals for the exact address.
    This voting location is for eligible voters living at the home address shown above.
    Check your voting location on your state voting place locator

• jeremiah89 says:

Same here. Oh well, I was just curious to see if it worked. I live in a small town, and I knew where to go anyways.

• hansn says:

It seems to work in Tempe, AZ, except for student housing on ASU. Of course, neither the state nor county seem to know where students should vote (I’ve been on the phone with now three people from folks, each of whom types it into the online lookup, only to tell me “that address is not valid” or “it needs to be a residential address”).

• Anakela says:

Same here; it can’t find the address of a public school in New York City.

• Willow16 says:

It listed the address for me and then couldn’t find it on a map. I’m assuming the reason it can’t show me the address on the map is because it also lists where in the building I vote i.e., upper lounge (I vote in the community center of the local college) so it’s not really a valid address according to google.

2. dangerp says:

This is great for those of us that don’t obsess about the elections for months in advance, but still want to have a say in the elections! I particularly like the links to voter information, since my voter information guide never arrived.

3. Jackmojo says:

Polling places, how 20th century…

Vote by mail FTW.

• Jackmojo says:

Now they just need to add a button on my DVR that says I voted early so it can automatically not show me election ads.

• adrienna says:

That’d be a way to get me to vote early! I still get a thrill out of voting on Election Day. I hated the year I had to do an absentee ballot.

• Jackmojo says:

I’m in Oregon, we don’t even have polling places anymore…going on fifteen years or so without them.

• mrscoach says:

If they could do this I bet that 9/10ths of all adults would register to vote, and then vote early, just to avoid the ads.

Maybe they could show footage of kittens playing instead, instead of the political ad, to those households who had voted.

• jeremiah89 says:

Unfortunately, some of us live in states that are apparently still in the 20th century.

Pennsylvania FTL.

4. hills says:

Oregon – my polling location is my dining room table – love voting by mail after living in states that don’t automatically mail you a ballot…

5. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Didn’t work for me, but the link it provided to the Michigan voter’s information site gave me accurate info.

6. kalaratri says:

I was getting ready to look it up, so this post was quite handy. Apparently I have to go about 100 yards down the road.

• mrscoach says:

You got me beat, I have to go a whole six blocks or so. And make a turn! or maybe two, depending on where the parking lot is for the elementary I vote at is. How will I ever go that whole way? LOL

7. Kate says:

Worked for me.

8. PsychicPsycho says:

Really? No link?

9. KyBash says:

Kudos to Google for providing the service.

They’re not 100% (they show me voting in the middle of the street and have no info on which door to go into for the actual building half a block away (the building is the polling place for two different wards)), but it would have been great when I moved here a few years ago and information was virtually nonexistent, even from local election officials.

10. MikeM_inMD says:

Not that I didn’t already know – I actually registered to vote right after settlement when I bought the house 8 years ago – but it got it right. However, when I went to get directions, the route given was 1.3 miles, and the alternate route was 1.1 miles. The route I use, if I drive, is 0.9 miles. Silly Google, still can’t get the idea of shortest route.

11. mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

I typed my home address in Nashville and got this:

Your Local Election Office
    County Election Commission
    PO BOX 650
    NASHVILLE, TN 37202-0650
    Phone: (615) 862-8813
    Fax: (615) 862-8810

I wonder how they fit a voting booth inside a post office box–those things are tiny! Guess it’s a good thing the actual address to my polling place is on my voter registration card.

12. CountryJustice says:

I prefer this method:

• Erika'sPowerMinute says:

Does it mean that I’m thirty, going on eleven, if I’m still snickering because my polling place is, quote, Grace Fucking Presbyterian Church, unquote?

13. snolds says:

http://www.michigan.gov/vote for the state of Michigan.

You can check to see if you’re registered, find your location, and view your ballot.

14. Brie says:

My Google doesn’t look like the one in the screenshot – it’s the usual Google search box with a link below to use Google Maps to find my polling place. So I tried Google maps, put in my full home address, and got a link (not a map link, just a link) to my county elections office, so I clicked through, and got another form in which to type my address.

So eh, for me it *works*, but not nearly as efficiently as Google makes it out to be.

15. lihtox says:

evoter.com gives you not just your polling place, but the actual ballot. I hate it that state government websites don’t make it this easy to see what specifically I’m going to be voting on before I get to the polls.