Dish, Fox Hug It Out, Give Customers Back Channels They Were Paying For

Ending a standoff that lasted nearly a month, Fox and Dish decided late last week to stop bickering over viewers’ subscription fees and return It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and related inferior programming to the masses.

Variety reports FX, National Geographic Channel and Fox Sports Net are back on the Dish Network after Fox pulled the channels Oct. 1.

Judged in light of the whipping Fox put on Cablevision, it only makes sense to figure Fox got more money in its Dish deal thanks to the hardball ploy.

If you’re a Dish customer, how did you survive without Sunny and Sons of Anarchy for that long?

Fox, Dish Network reach carriage deal [Variety]

Previously: Cablevision & Fox Put Differences Aside, Work Together To Screw Customers

Comments

1. Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

Please, Fox, don’t hold back– tell us how you REALLY feel.

2. fluffernutter09 says:

I’m a dish customer, and didn’t even notice these were gone. Hoping this doesn’t mean dish passes higher Fox fees on to me as the customer, but I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised when that happens. Still in the first year of a two year deal, so regardless, I’m still paying way less than I was with cable and loving it…

3. LogNoggin says:

How did I survive? I downloaded Sons Of Anarchy. If I’m paying for it, I feel justified. Ooh! Justified! I look forward to the next season of that on FX, too.

4. doesitturnoff says:

while i appreciate that fox is manipulative and advantageous to other networks, I have to say that I think “it’s always sunny” is hilarious. so… leave them out of it, amirite?

5. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

*sigh*
    I’ve said it a million times. Dump the dish, cut the cable. Put up an antenna to get free OTA HDTV, and view most everything else you can’t with an antenna online. When enough of us do it, their subscriber base drops, and their prices will drop also. Pay TV has a hard time competing with FREE TV, but their advertising has convinced many that the only way to see TV is to PAY.

As long as you are all convinced you have to pay for TV, Pay TV will continue to pick your pockets.

6. vastrightwing says:

Like insurance, TV programming is using a 3rd party payer system, which… yes, you guessed it results in higher costs. Why? Because you’re not being billed directly. FOX bills the carrier, Dish Network in this case, and they in turn, simply jack up your rate. Because they won’t offer a la carte pricing, you either pay or don’t subscribe at all. The same in health insurance, you don’t know the price of anything and you have no choice of what services you pay for: you either get it all or you get nothing.

This Barbara Streisand (BS) will continue until us consumers accelerate abandoning pay TV to the point where carriers (like Dish, Comcast) are forced to cede to the demands of the consumers.

By the way, this is really why content providers don’t want a la carte programming. This wrecks their revenue model by giving consumers too much control. They would never be able to pull this scam once a la carte is available.

• JoeTheDragon says:

TV programming is not like insurance as they do alot more then just being a 3rd party and you can buy some stuff on your own but then you need like a dish farm to do it and maybe even alot more stuff if you want to record with out have to move a dish and not being able to view / record a other show on a differnt sat.

also the dish / directv and cable fiber in channles that you can’t get on C-band.

• frank64 says:

The way the pricing increase works the same though. The analogy doesn’t have to be perfect to show they proper dynamic at work.

An expensive piece of equipment the hospital buys gets passed along to every policy holder to the point of say $1.50 a month. Same for drug increases. If one person had to pay for the test or the drug it COULD costs thousands of dollars. It is much easier for health care and drug companies to get the increased price when everyone pays a little. That is ONE reason that our health care being so expensive.

7. Scurvythepirate says:

Too little, too late for me. They also pulled the plug on MSG over contract disputes but that isn’t getting much coverage. With no MSG, I can’t watch the Sabres game as they are the only channel that caries them (occasionally VS does, but only for like 10 games).

I am having FIOS installed on Wednesday. I could care less about Fox programming. Give me my damn hockey!

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

NHL Center Ice would make more money for the NHL if it wasn’t subject to idiotic blackout rules. We’re lucky in DC that we get nearly every home and away Caps game.

• Scurvythepirate says:

I agree, I was excited that they gave a couple weeks free of Center Ice and thought I could at least watch the away teams broadcast. Till I turned to the channel and got the blackout message.

I have been resorting to watching feeds off of websites on my computer.

• lizk says:

Too little, too late for us, too. We canceled Dish over this issue because they refused to refund us for the missing channels. They could’ve retained $110+ per month for a $4 goodwill refund, but they wouldn’t do it on principle. On principle, I don’t do business with companies that treat their customers like that.

8. PSUSkier says:

How did I survive without the channels? Simple. Torrents. Hear that Fox? I’m not going to watch your networks and in protest I’m going to continue this practice because News Corp is run by nutsacks.

9. Tim says:

I bet cable and satellite providers will start putting a clause in their terms of service saying something to the effect of “all channels subject to cancellation for contract disputes.”

• DanRydell says:

I bet it’s already there… which would make Phil’s article title inaccurate as usual.

• Scurvythepirate says:

Changes in Services Offered. We may add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming, programming packages and other Services that we offer, as well as the prices and fees related to such programming, programming packages and Services, at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment period to which you have agreed. If a change affects you, we will notify you of such change and its effective date. In the event that we delete, rearrange or change any programming, programming packages or other Services, we have no obligation to replace or supplement such programming, programming packages or other Services. You are not entitled to any refund because of a deletion, rearrangement or change of any programming, programming packages or other Services.

10. kamiikoneko says:

wait wait wait. Inferior programming? I think FX is coming up fast, Sunny is funny, Sons is pretty good, Louis CKs show is awesome, and Rescue Me has always been good. As far as regular cables stations go it’s pretty great, only beat out by AMC. Inferior to WHAT?

11. theduckay says:

“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia and related inferior programming to the masses.”

Now now, Consumerist. Lets just stick to the issue, hmm? Some of us like Sunny!

12. tjustman says:

I had DISH for the whole month of October and didn’t miss a thing. And I actually really like Sunny, but I just watch it on DVD.

13. SG-Cleve says:

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia is not inferior. It’s the only show on TV worth watching.

I’m canceling my Consumerist subscription.

14. Tarceinus says:

Sunny is inferior? Charlie Day should kidnap consumerist people and keep them locked up until they retract this article!

15. heismanpat says:

I’m glad Phil could enlighten us with his *inferior* writing skills. I was worried that he might have turned the corner by writing a whole article without misreporting any major details of the original story. Luckily, he decided to interject his opinion on one of the funniest shows on TV and make an ass out of himself anyway. Kudos to you Phil!

16. InconvenientDeuce says:

Too late! I left and signed up for DirecTV. I had been a Dish Network customer for 3 years – originally choosing them because of their superior hardware. Well – DirecTV has leapfrogged them with their whole house DVR and H24 line of boxes.

Not saying DirecTV is perfect – I had the standard HORRIBLE installation experience – but I think Dish has lost the one advantage they had – superior hardware. I think they’re in trouble…

• CookiePuss says:

Yeah, I signed up with DirecTV for the “advanced hardware” and they sent me 5 year old refurbished boxes as a new customer. If you want new hardware you better get it from a 3rd party.

And the whole house DVR sucks. They charge you an additional monthly fee to use your own wireless LAN connection. Pretty awesome eh?

• InconvenientDeuce says:

I made the tech show me the boxes before he installed anything – luckily they were HR24 and H24′s. That was the only good moment of my installation day. Sorry to hear you got refurbs – all previous generations to these boxes that I’d seen were SLOW and just kinda awful in general – that’s why I’d been with Dish for so long.

Still love the whole house DVR, it works great for us. Helps that I have my wifi router on my AV rack so I can easily plug in.

17. jason in boston says:

Is there any way to get an rss feed of non-phil articles?

18. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Great (sarcasm)…now they just need…scratch that…must get MSG back…I must watch the Sabres games you bastards.

19. TheCorporateGeek Says Common Sense Is The Key says:

I for one switched to DirecTV due to this. From what I heard, Dish lost 14million customers.
    If you went in thinking you would see any of your home team games on NHL Center Ice then you are naive!

Blackout rules exist because your home team’s game can be seen in your area on your regional channel as in the Caps case CSN Washington. No different than my home team’s games on Fox Sports Southwest.

When I switched, I didn’t even ask for any concessions only told them to shove their service where the sun doesn’t shine. I’m happy with my DirecTV as I’m getting more channels and it is cheaper.

I keep hearing all you fanatics saying dump sat and dump cable and go it online. Well that’s nice and fine but if you like sports you’re screwed. Yes there is NHL Gamecenter Live but if I want to watch a TCU football game……too bad.

Secondly, you fanatics don’t address the issue of multiple televisions either. So what…I’m supposed to drop a crap ton of money for dedicated media pc’s for 5 televisions? Don’t think so.

20. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

I was a dish customer — Not anymore. They sent generic ads to our residence (when we already have service), would always forget to correct the spelling of my husbands name, charged us $15 per box to return DVRs, and expect us to remove the Dish hardware (some specific piece of the antenna) — or else they’ll charge us a minimum of $60.00 to send a technician out to do so.

So, wish me luck on my roof ! !

21. Joseph S Ragman says:

I watched episodes of original programming on FX’s website

22. AliciaB_DISH Network says:

Hi, this is Alicia Brink. I’m with the Executive Offices of DISH Network. We appreciate everyone’s patience with this dispute. Since we are dedicated to providing the lowest cost to our customers, there may be times we lose a channel when we are in a contract dispute with a network provider. We understand that this may affect current shows you are watching so we work hard to fight for a fair deal on behalf of our customers and get the channel restored as quickly as possible.