What's Your Debt Free Date?

If you die owing money, that means you won the game of life. But some folks harbor a silly fantasy of actually clawing their way out of the imploded Chilean mines of debt they’ve created for themselves. They put themselves on a budget, hope for job security and the eventual reinstatement of raises and map out exactly when they might taste the financial freedom all too few get to taste.

Personal Finance blogger Girl with the Red Balloon, who is chipping away at more than $16,000 of student loan debt on a $24,000 salary says she’ll be out of debt June 1, 2013. She uses the far-off date as encouragement to stay focused on her frugality.

How much debt are you in, and if you plan on getting out of it one day, when do you hope that will be?

Debt Free Date [Girl with the Red Balloon]

Comments

1. madanthony says:

August 1, 2040.

Well, that’s when the last payment on my recently-refinanced 30-year mortgage is due. Of course, that assumes that I don’t pay it off early, refinance, or move between then and now.

At this point I can’t really see throwing extra money at it, since I put a bunch of extra cash in when I refinanced, and since the interest rate is low and the interest is tax deductible (making it effectively even lower).

• clint07 says:

We are in the same boat, we just refinanced a little less than a year ago and the effective interest rate (once the tax deduction is factored in) is so low that it makes more sense to invest extra money than to pay additional payments on the mortgage

• zzyzzx says:

Are you upside down on your loan yet?

2. Hil-fish says:

We’ll finish paying our student loans in 18 months (April 2012). We still have 28 and a half years on our mortgage, but I don’t mind that so much.

3. ALP5050 says:

Last year! XD

4. GTB says:

I’ve never been in debt. Of course I don’t own a home, and i’ve never owned a new car, and I only have one credit card with an absurdly small limit. So maybe im missing out on the finer things.

5. kalaratri says:

Assuming no major disasters, our mortgage and hubby’s student loans will be done by Jan, 2025. Just in time to help put our kid(s) through college.

6. George4478 says:

No debt left except mortgage. I have 26 years of a 30-year refi remaining and the extra I put toward the payments will pay it off in 13 years, the summer of 2023.

7. Supes says:

Sometime in 2019, as my student loans are on a 10-year repayment plan…. though I’m paying extra when I can, hoping to knock it out around 2016-17….

That’s depressing.

8. Pixel says:

Been debt free since I paid off my student loans in 2002. However living without credit cards, car payments, etc. is now screwing my over because I have a completely blank credit report. No one is even interested in talking with me about a home loan. Apparently living within my means and not having had to borrow money for anything since college makes me a bad risk.

• frank64 says:

You don’t need debt to establish credit. All you need is a couple of CC cards. Just have them, use them for your daily expenses and pay them in full every month. If you can’t get them right away you can get a secured card. Your score is calculated like it is an unsecured line.

Your student loans debt stay with you for about 10 years, I don’t think it will hurt you too much when it falls off.

• Hoot says:

My student loans are not on my credit report, and I have both a private loan cosigned with my parents for undergrad and a federal loan in just my name for grad school.

Is that strange?

• frank64 says:

I think it is, maybe you could try to get the federal loan to report?

I think the student loans is a small matter, you still should be able to get something, a store card or a full CC card. Try to get 2.

• oloranya says:

If they’re in repayment they should be on your credit report. I have both private and federal loans and they all show up on my report.

• Hoot says:

I completely agree. I want to close a credit card of mine (which is a GOOD thing) but how can I when it’s about the only thing on my credit report? It’s stupid, ridiculous, terrible, *insert expletives*. Makes me so mad when being responsible and not in debt is worse than being responsible in debt.

• George4478 says:

Closing a credit card is automatically a good thing? Why is having no available credit (this sounds like your only card) a good thing?

You’re not running a balance and paying interest. Closing it would hurt your credit since your credit report is sparse. So, don’t.

Having credit card debt is a bad thing. Having credit cards can be a good thing.

• Hoot says:

Why would having something open just for a credit report be a good thing? I don’t need it for anything else. If I actually needed some money for something like medical bills or something, I would take out a loan or pay on a payment plan. I would not put it on a credit card.

• TasteyCat says:

You can’t take out a loan if you don’t have any credit.

• Hoot says:

I know! This is exactly why I am cursing the system! Like the OP. :)

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

The system makes sense. No sane person (or company) is going to loan someone a large amount of money without first knowing that the person is responisble with credit, paying it on time, etc.

• Mom says:

You’ve never needed to rent a car or stay in a nice hotel? You need a credit card for those things.

• Kate says:

You need a credit card to show that you can be trusted in some situations, as noted, such as renting a car or staying in a hotel room. It’s curious that you don’t know that, have you never stayed in a hotel?

• TasteyCat says:

This is the flaw in the credit free philosophy. It will bite you eventually because it is used for mortgages, cars, rentals, hotels, insurance, and sometimes even jobs. I pay everything I can with credit. I’d be paying it anyway, so I use credit for the rewards, ease of management, and protection. Then I pay in full at the end of the month.

Not having credit cards does not help you any because available credit does not equal debt. Everybody should have at least two credit cards.

• sonneillon says:

Well you need to establish some credit. It sucks but I got a credit card for that purpose. I went with discover because everybody else wanted to charge me 75 dollars right off the bat just for signing up for their credit card.

• ldub says:

Think about it this way: Does it make sense to you that the first time anyone is going to lend you money it’s going to be for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars? Of course a mortgage company wants to see if you know how to use a credit line wisely. Having a credit card and paying in full monthly, or building up a balance and paying it off ahead of time would be great ways to “prove your worth” to the mortgage people.

• Eyeheartpie says:

Having a credit card does not mean you are living outside of your means. It is very easy to live within your means while having a credit card. Just don’t carry a balance. Don’t charge more than you can afford to pay back, same as you won’t pay more in cash than you have. Just think of a credit card as a way to keep track of your cash, and you should be fine.

The people who get in trouble with cards are those who think of it as free money that they can spend, and they don’t think about how they’re going to repay that bill at the end of the month.

9. sonneillon says:

With an income contingent repayment program for my student loans? 25 years after repayment begins. 10 years if I work for the fed.

10. human_shield says:

Until a job loss, we had no debt aside from our mortgage. Now we’re trying to widdle down a small $3k debt, which should be paid off by next year, we hope.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Kudos to you! Also, “widdle” is a really funny word, but you actually meant “whittle.”

11. shuffle69 says:

never been in debt. cash cash-ola only, baby. rented until i saved up to buy the place from the owner…

12. jenjenjen says:

I have 29 years to go on a 30 year mortgage (ugh, but at least it’s still right-side-up so far) but otherwise zero debt. Didn’t have one penny of debt going into the mortgage.

13. GoodBytes says:

the day I was born

• GoodBytes says:

and no I am not Bill Gates.
      I just never got any loans. If I use my credit card, the card is paid immediately after.
      Less stress, no reminder, no worrying, and yes I do have nice things. By not spending more than I make, i live very comfortably. I assume I’ll get perhaps a dept when I buy my car and home.. and maybe 1-2 things, but other than that… no owing money to anyone.

I have a fine CRT tube 27inch Trinitron Sony TV.. I don’t have 2 xillion channels (in any case there is nothing on TV.. I just have to watch movies or news) nor have digital TV, I don’t have a cellphone (OMG I can live without one without any trouble, like the past millions of years that we were on this planet). I don’t smoke, I have a high-end (well used to be) laptop.
      As I have no debt, I live very comfortably and can afford very nice things as well, which is my entire computer setup. And no I don’t eat a can of tuna everyday.

• Hoot says:

My my, aren’t we special.

• kung fu lola says:

Indeed. Pure and unique as a snowflake, this one is.

• frank64 says:

He is living humbly, by stating it it may look like he is being preachy, but it is a great way to live. It needs to be stated because the concept is strange to many people. There are many people who choose not to live this way and then when they hit an unexpected expense or lose their job, it isn’t there fault. I think often these people could have made better choices. Looking at someone who lives differently is very helpful.

• Gulliver says:

No, what it says to somebody considering loaning you money is you have no history with it. It says you might be the type who will pay off your loan, but it conversely says you could be the person who once in debt may never pay it back. It actually would send up a red flag to me that prior to now you never used credit, and NOW you want to? WHY? Did you lose a job?
            I will also point out that this philosophy can hurt you with employers, insurance, opening a business, and many other things that use credit history.
            The main issue I have with credit bureaus is not those who admit to not using credit, it is those that use it, but there are mistakes on it.

• frank64 says:

I think you may be responding to the wrong post because Goodbytes DOES have at least one credit card. Probably another one two, so he has enough trade lines for any loans he needs. But the good news is he probably won’t need one(unless he want to buy a home), he thus saves interest expense and even earns it.

To your point in general, yes a person should have some credit cards to establish credit for many reasons. It does not means you need to carry a balance. I also agree that the banks make mistakes by the hard and fast rule. Different ethnic groups might only need credit for a home. Their savings and life history show responsibility and debt is more likely to be repaid than many who have debt. I hope there are some banks that cater to these people, but I don’t think so.

• ryder28910 says:

I actually made significant money having taken on a 0% car loan instead of paying in cash. Not all debt is inherently bad, and those who see only in black and white on this issue are completely delusional. Oh, and give your parents my regards next time you head up the basement steps.

• frank64 says:

Your debt isn’t really debt in the context of what is being discussed. The concept is still valid. Most people would be better off if they at least tried some of his concepts. If I took advantage of a 0% offer without having the savings to back it up I would have had my car repossessed. You have investments, which is the way to do it.

Your exception really isn’t an exception, and does not negate the debt free concept. Sure there are times when debt is going to be advisable, but that does not mean that trying to live debt free shouldn’t be discussed, especially in a country that is way over extended.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Okay, but you can have “nice things” and not get into debt. I don’t see how you can possibly correlate having new or updated things with being in debt. I have a new TV – I didn’t get into debt to buy it. I have an iPhone – no debt there, I pay my bill on time every month.

14. alstein says:

2008.

That said, I will be back in debt for a house in a couple of years hopefully.

15. frank64 says:

I have 12K in CC debt and have been unemployed for 18 months. My car is paid for, which has really saved me through this ordeal. I had the debt before I lost my job from a previous sales job in which commissions didn’t pay the bills. I had been paying it off and had low expenses before I lost my job. I have been using my cards for daily expenses for convenience and paying that amount and a little towards the debt. My low expenses, and not having a car payment has allowed me to look like I am employed to my CC companies.

I did find a job! I start in January which will allow me to pay off my debt in just over 12 months. I then will start saving for a car, but may be able to get 3-4 more years on it. I will also need a 6 month cushion, which should take 8 months to save for. If I make it through the first year of the job, I should have strong job security.

Saving up for a car beforehand is a great idea. As I said it saved me during this layoff, but more than that it is very liberating. Saves money on interest and makes for better decision making. Instead of ” [upgrade] will only cost me $50 a month”, you think ” [upgrade]will cost me 5K, is it worth it?”. Much more likely to say no. Not having a car loan does not hurt your credit score much, and helps your DTI for any home loan. Especially if you are in the middle of saving for a car because that cash can be counted as reserves.

16. 1hooverville says:

We only have our 30 year mortgage which we just got so that should be 2040. Oh, and by the way we will both be 96 years old. Good luck with getting it paid off before we die, he he.

17. the_didgers says:

Good job on the Girl with the Red Balloon. I hope she has a few milestones along the way to encourage her when that far-off date looks too far off.

As for me, I got car payments for another 3 1/2 years. It’s zero percent interest, so all my payment is for the car, and nothing else.

18. OnePumpChump says:

4 grand, student loan. New GI bill didn’t kick in until I found myself needing a loan. Apart from one semester a decade ago when I carried my tuition bill on my credit card for 1 month (knowing I’d have the money about a month after I needed it), this is my first debt ever.

I’ll have a job (GS-9) starting 1 month after I have to start paying my loan. I’ll probably pay it down a few hundred bucks the first couple months, until I have my savings starting to build again, and I’m settled. Then I can pay the shit out of it. I expect I’ll be done before next June.

19. HogwartsProfessor says:

Never. I’m royally screwed and have no one to blame but myself.

20. Alisha Gray says:

I have student loans that should be payed off in a year, and a car payment that should be paid off in four unless I do more than the minimum payments. I’m trying to keep my outgoing payments down though, so I can save for a couple of necessary surgical procedures since I don’t have health insurance. I also have a credit card with a balance of around $300 that my ex-roommate racked up.

21. Macgyver says:

What’s with the comment about the Chilean mines? You were joking or something? Cause it’s not funny.

• DH405 says:

Why? They made it out safely. It’s not exactly a hugely tragic soft spot. Get over yourself.

• Eyeheartpie says:

I dunno about the OP, but I thought that the line wasn’t funny either. Not in an offensive way, it just didn’t make me chuckle or anything. It was poorly delivered, and overly complicated for a quick 1-liner.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

My Halloween-party going, trick-or-treating friends reported seeing a bunch of people dressed as Chilean miners. I think they thought it was pretty funny.

22. Not Given says:

I hope it will be by 4/21/11 and I hope my bankruptcy will be final by then

23. One-Eyed Jack says:

Zero debt for us – Our credit card debt was paid off in 2007, then in April 2009 we made our final house payment! I highly recommend the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University course, or at least his “Total Money Makeover” book for anyone who wants to be debt free.

24. TasteyCat says:

I have 3 years left on a 48 month car loan. Hope to have it paid off next year.

25. Nighthawke says:

What is known about this beatingdebit.org? I just scoured my resources only to find they registered through a third party to invoke privacy rights, but not much else was discovered. Their webpage appears to be honest, if not more professional than the usual non-profit sites. This reeks more of corporate backing if anything else IMO.

26. parliboy says:

I’m about ten years out. Got good terms on my student loan consolidation, and it’s only two percent. I’ve got better things to do with my leftover money than pay down a 2% loan.

27. Wade says:

Our date is about 2.5 years ago. That’s when we paid off our final debt (mortgage). I can’t really explain the freedom we’ve felt since that day… especially in this troubled economy. We’ve diverted our attention to our daughters college fund and it’s really fulfilling to know that we will be able to help her when the time comes.

28. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I was hoping to be totally debt free by the end of 2012. The last big debt in my life is a Parent Plus loan and it’s down to $13,700. I took it out so my daughter could go to college and get out of this area. I’d do it again.

My plan was to start paying $600 per month starting in Jan 2011, but the company I work for has been sold to another company, so my employment future is unsure.

Right now, I’m paying myself & stuffing every available dollar into savings.

29. valleygirl_18002 says:

Not including the mortgage: about $26K with an estimated date of repayment of June, 2012. I’m aiming for December, 2011 if I can get an extra job to throw more money at the debt.

I’m following Dave Ramsey’s plan, just not to the letter. I like contributing to my company’s 401(k). I can’t wait to only have household expenses to pay!

30. Rask says:

I was on track to being debt free within 3-4 years (other than a mortgage) however we decided to have another child. (daycare for 2 kids is a bitch and a half.)

31. Gulliver says:

I really get sick of the holier than thou attitude of those without debt. Not all debt is bad debt. If I can make more money with an investment I will gladly take on debt. A zero per cent loan for me to buy a car a TV or furniture that I would have bought eventually is a good thing. The funny thing is, if you look at most companies they all have debt. They would rather use the money from debt to make a profit (open new stores, invest in new technology) than wait around for something good to happen. The key is balance and return on investment.
    I also look at people like Warren Buffett, who takes on debt all the time. It is how he buys companies. You use OTHER PEOPLE’S money to make money for yourself.
    Finally, if the entire country went to the no debt philosophy the entire economy would collapse. The lack of consumer spending would cripple the car industry, housing (even more than it is) and all consumer products from TV’s to computers to furniture.

• Me - now with more humidity says:

Brilliantly said!

The “I have no debt… you do so you suck” crowd has no concept of how economies work. Of how entrepreneurs grow businesses. Of how successful enterprises and rich folks become rich. Debt is not evil. Smart debt is the key to fiscal success.

But enjoy your tiny lives, holier-than-thou miscreants.

• Eyeheartpie says:

As has been already stated, that’s strategic investment debt, or using someone loan money to make money. The people who are looked at disparagingly are those that spend way more than they can afford to for luxury items, i.e. the guy making 40k a year buying a 60k mercedes on a 10% APR, or people who spend their entire paycheck for trips to Vegas, and those people whose rack up 20k in CC debt buying TVs and game systems and other such items.

Those people deserve to be looked at disparagingly, because they have no self control.

• frank64 says:

The debt we are talking about is not strategic. It is spending beyond ones means. It is most about credit card debt and not having a cushion for things like car repairs. It is about being planning and being ready for the surprises in life. Many Americans have problems due to being over extended, this has a negative affect on their lives and in expensive because of interest payments. It is said many were not taught basic financial management. This is what we are talking about.

We could put disclaimers in everything posted that talks about responsibility, but it just obscures the point. I often write “in general” to hopefully reduce these types of posts.

• frank64 says:

P. S.You are talking about investment debt. Way off topic.

I am betting Warren Buffet does not have credit card debt or a car payment. He lives in a small houes way below his means. Likewise his car is what WE would call a beater. Funny you would pick a man who is an example of exactly the point we are trying to make.

• madanthony says:

I would expect that the world’s 3rd richest man could pay cash for his caddy and whatever other stuff he needs to buy. So while true, I don’t see that as proving much.

• frank64 says:

True, but neither does the fact the Buffet uses debt financing for investing mean that one should not try to take control of over spending. Many rich people spend a lot and get in trouble. He doesn’t. The way he lives is an example to many.

It was a poor example to start with. I just went with it and was able to find a pearl of wisdom. (;

32. exit 10 says:

Debt free September of ’08.
    Paid the 30 year mortgage off in 18.
    Had no other debt. Always pay cc in full each month.

33. BelleSade says:

I’m already saving up the money I make at my job to put it towards my 5,000 student loan (in my third year of uni). Unfortunately the MA degree I want will put me in about 80,000 in debt. So I’m still wondering whether it’ll be worth it or not.

34. lordargent says:

8 years ago

/got a promotion/bonus
    /paid off mortgage
    /bought the condo before the crazy price runup
    /currently looking at houses so that I can be in debt again :P

35. Astrid says:

January 2nd 2012. I can not wait!

36. Harry Manback says:

I’m probably in 23,000 worth of debt, but my income is 68,000 a year. That doesn’t include the 185,000 worth of debt for my house…

37. Event_Horizon says:

I am paying off debt with a job that is about half the salary of one I had 12 years ago. I assumed that I will only get 2.3 percent raises out of this company. Under that system I extroplated out that my salary will never come into parity with my previous one. I have to find a better paying job.

I would like to be out of debt by 2012. But my income would have to increase by about 35-50 percent. Realistically 2014 or 2016 under current payments.

To deal with my seemingly lifetime of depression I buy cd or dvds and go out socially a couple times a month not to mention buying too much fast food. My weight seems to yo yo about 5-10 pounts per quarter.

I could cut everything to the bone, e.g. “ramen”, never do anything social for a meager trade off – paid by 2013. I figure that isn’t worth it as the spartan induced misery would drive me into an early grave. I have a bad habit of avoiding things I enjoy because they are not money generating activities. (therefore a waste of time).

Since I have income it seems wrong to declare bankruptcy. Even if i wanted to I don’t know how that affects my job which requires a clearance.

At least I did just pay off a card that I cancelled five or six years ago.

38. FrankReality says:

No debt other than a small mortgage with two years left – payoff is less than $14,000. I could pay it off today, but due to employment uncertainty I’d rather keep the cash for now.

I’m not smug or egotistical about it, just frugal and value conscious.

I guess according to some here it’s all my fault the economy is sick. I didn’t take out a huge mortgage I couldn’t pay back, my house is not new nor in a fashionable neighborhood, I didn’t buy new cars and traded them every three years, I used debt responsibly throughout my life, I saved for my future retirement and insured myself against risk, but somehow the recession is my fault.

Go figure

39. George says:

November 2012.

40. lisbet says:

Well, never at this rate. I’m not an excessive spender, but with $78k in student loan debt and currently on a grad student stipend of $18k, it’s not looking good. I also have a mortgage and a car loan. I’m saving a lot of money over rent with the house in this town, so I went that route deliberately. The car payment was necessary as my car died recently and we have no reasonable public transit between my house and school (or much of anywhere here).

It’s so much student loan debt that I just dutifully make $500 monthly payments each month, but I can’t be more aggressive, and that just barely surpasses the interest, even after consolidating 2x. Anyone want to adopt a poor but promising student?

41. Vandil says:

I was debt-free this summer, until I had to purchase a car. Now I’m back to 14k in debt, which will be paid off in 5 years, if I pay the minimums. Considering it’s a car payment and the car helps me go to work and live, I don’t think of it as “useless debt” like credit card debt.

42. BurtReynolds says:

My student loan should be gone in 3 years, if I keep paying the same amount. If interest rates go up (its adjustable, but currently low), I’d probably speed things up.

Of course I might have to buy a car within those 3 years, so I’ll just be replacing one payment with another.

43. Know Power says:

This list of debt reads like a funeral dirge. I hope I can make it out of debt. One day I’ll get out of debt. Everyone sounds like they are scraping away at a piece of gum stuck on the concrete. Look, trying to get out of debt, not having any debt and hoping and praying to get out of debt will get you know where. I haven’t read all of the previous 71 comments that were left on this topic, but I will have to say. Scrimping and saving to pay someone else is not worth it. If your back is already against the wall, then break the wall and do something different. Why pay these charlatans and hustlers when you can find a way to pay yourself first. To the people who are bragging about not having any debt, what are you doing with your money? This is not the end of the Great Depression. Burn the mattress and find another place to horde your money.

44. patrick says:

My wife is going back to school, so I paid off 8k of student loans last week. I wasn’t really in debt to begin with, as my assets outweigh the previous debt by about 80k.

45. ElleAnn says:

Our “get into debt” data is September 30, 2011. Our apartment lease is up that date, and our goal is to be first time homeowners by then (probably by Aug. 15th so we have time to paint).

46. dolemite says:

I’m hoping to have all credit cards and auto loans finished in 2 years (for wife and myself).

Of course, there is still about 40k in student loans between the 2 of us, and the mortgage after that…

47. jasw says:

15,000 in student loan debt. Joined the AmeriCorps for the education award and will have approximately 11,000 paid off of my student loans within the next 2 years. Don’t own a car or have a credit card. Paying off approximately 1200 bucks for all the stupid shit I did and all the accounts I opened my freshman year of college. Nothing too disastrous yet.

48. greatgoogly says:

currently, no credit card debt, last car payment is set for 2/11. At that point barring any disasters the only debt my wife and I will have is the mortgage…Unfortunately that puppy has 29 years to go!

49. jsfetzik says:

If you include the mortgage on the house we live in it will be somewhere in the 2025 range. If you don’t include the mortgage, the loan I took out to pay for some dental work will be paid off in a couple months and the car in another year. Then its just the mortgage, which as others have said, at the interest rate we have we are better off investing any extra money.

50. Sheila says:

Our debt free date was 6/18/09. $70k paid off in 2.5 years.

Our house will be paid off at the end of next year.

51. UnicornMaster says:

2007, and then I bought a house :(

52. romoish says:

No idea. I had student loans paid down to 14,000$ and was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Then I had to go to the emergency room and have my gallbladder removed resulting in 30,000$+ in medical bills.

So, 25 years old, $45,000 in debt and nothing to show for it other than a degree and a jobless economy.

53. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

I paid off my car in June of this year and am paying down a (very low balance) credit card. I was so excited that I would be out of debt by my birthday in late July. Then I got sick and ended up spending four days in the hospital.

Still – it could be worse – I plan on being debt-free in late July 2012.

54. NumberSix says:

Not much debt at all. I’m on the tail end of an auto loan so I should be debt free (again) by 1/31/2011.

55. Kate says:

I don’t know when we will be debt free – sometime in the next 10 years or so. Our home loan should be paid off then. We have a car loan that probably has about 2 years to go. We don’t carry credit card debt, although I use credit cards for almost everything to get the percentage back.

56. Chip Skylark of Space says:

If one of our cars doesn’t blow up before then, we’ll be out of debt (minus our underwater mortgage) sometime in 2013. That’s not likely to happen at this point.

57. bridge47 says:

I’ll graduate next year with $150,000 in student loans from a 3 year doctorate program in physical therapy. How fast I get rid of that is dependent on the job I get and health care “reform”.