Top Posts Of The Week And Open Thread

The New GameStop Rewards Card Isn’t Worth Your Time Or Privacy

Tipsy Angry Man Dumps 32,000 Pieces Of Mail

Watch Out For The “Dirty Filter” Mechanic Scam

Conan Dares NBC To Sue Him Over Masturbating Bear

Federal Court Shuts Down LimeWire With Permanent Injunction

My dog is dressing as a princess this Halloween. (There was a costume at Goodwill in her size. I took it as a sign.) Are any other crazy people dressing up their pets?

The New GameStop Rewards Card Isn’t Worth Your Time Or Privacy

Comments

1. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I’m so glad it’s Friday. I’m really stressed out right now, and when I get frustrated with people, I revert to sarcasm, so I don’t expect things to get better. I’m dealing with a huge mess of work and people who keep calling all the time with questions I don’t have answers to, and I really need to get up and take a walk or something, but people keep emailing me and I have this Pavlovian response to checking my email whenever I hear my phone buzz. I woke up this morning, at an hour no one should ever have to wake up for work, I might add, and there were already five emails.

2. pop top says:

Tomorrow night is GWAR in Detroit! They’re going to be playing a lot of music from their soon-to-be-released album, “Bloody Pit of Horror”, which will be awesome. We’ll probably spend the day hanging out in Detroit since we found some cool places when we were there last weekend. Finding fun stuff to do in Detroit really drives home how terrible most of the city is because there’s no real downtown or any large areas to walk around; just little pocket areas where you “most likely” won’t get mugged or assaulted and hey, there’s a few cool shops and restaurants too.

Last night was another Rifftrax Live event; they did the original “House on Haunted Hill” and Paul F. Tompkins was a guest star. It was hilarious. Kimaroo, you better have gone to it.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I DID I DID!!!

Do you need some seedatives?

Hehehe. Or perhaps are you going to a paahtie?

• cash_da_pibble says:

We just talking about going to GWAR here in SF.
      You have yourself a bloody good time!

• pop top says:

DO IT. Every metal fan should do themselves a favor and see GWAR at least once. Their music is excellent but their stage show is mind-blowing. This will be our fourth time seeing them live, which is pretty good since they only come around once a year or so.

• cash_da_pibble says:

Hee! I’ve seen them six times- the “Bloody Good Time” was meant to be a reference to their stage show.
          We’re actually trying to decide between seeing Clutch the week before GWAR ( because I’ve never seen Clutch and they always sell out), and GWAR- and miss out on a family party we already promised to go to.

3. segfault, registered cat offender says:

That cat needs its whiskers trimmed or plucked.

4. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

my favorite week of the year. making hallowe’en displays, getting ready for the parties.
    slight damper on the week has been my friend finding out her soon to be ex husband abandoned the cats he said he’d take care of and left them to starve. she found them in time but now i’m taking care of one of them and reteaching him about the fact that people go away and then come back. he’s quit waiting at the door of his quarantine room.
    we’re going to the vet today to see how he’s doing after losing 4 pounds and getting so many fleas that he has sores all over.
    here’s a tip – if you have to be that vile of a person to abandon an animal, call animal control with an anonymous tip that there are abandoned animals so someone will come get them.

• hotdogsunrise says:

What is wrong with people that they would do that to an innocent animal? It’s always unbelievable to me.

My dachshund that I rescued was obviously beaten. She cowers in fear if you make a move at her too quickly. I don’t understand. She’s the sweetest dog I’ve ever met. Why would someone do that to her?

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

the worst part is he took one of the cats with him when he abandoned the apartment and now is living with his cat allergic girlfriend and won’t answer questions about where the third cat is.
        my dog was beaten and left chained on a 6 foot chain with no shelter in PA for the first two years of his life. they were trying to make him a guard dog. now he’s just afraid of men with beards and we can’t play fetch because he thinks i am throwing things AT him, not FOR him.

5. MostlyHarmless says:

Yay friday!!! Anyone heading up to the Rally to Restore Sanity this weekend? I am! Look for a guy carrying this sign:

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I hate that I can’t go, but family chose this weekend to come to town. At least they’re not staying with me.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

sorry, no, it’s the same day as two parties

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Bahahhaha. I will look for you if there is any live coverage (I expect there will be, on Comedy Central atleast.)

• JulesNoctambule says:

I wish I could! Sadly, the spouse gets about one weekend a year off work, and this one is not it.

Love the sign — aside from the general humour, I long to teach the masses that ‘chai’ is the same as ‘tea’ and ‘masala chai’ is the drink they had in mind! Which, of course, *still* isn’t ‘masala chai tea’. Do these people order cafe au lait with coffee and milk as well?

• Magspie says:

I’ll be there. If I see your sign I’ll say hi. My husband will be handing out garbage bags with a sign that says “Restore Cleanliness” on one side and “Free Garbage Bags Here” on the other side plus the reddit alien.

6. HogwartsProfessor says:

GAH!

Laptop charger seems not to be working. Does not register that it is plugged in. It’s frayed up near the connector, so it seems a new one is in order. What scares me is if it’s not the charger but the port. Please please please please please please be the charger! The computer place said that’s fixable, but it’s $189 to fix it. I could not even get a new charger until today because I didn’t have the money (today is payday). I wanted to get a new router because mine is kind of old but now I have to spend the money on this instead. Damn damn damn!

Other than the fact that it can’t get any power, it’s still working perfectly. I have a little itty bit of battery power left but I’ve been using my ancient Insignia desktop instead. And the chair back there isn’t very comfortable. But at least I have something to use, so it could be a lot worse, I guess.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

try different positions of the charger cable near where the plug is. a common laptop charger problem is the cord being frayed from being in a particular positions. my former laptop had that AND the port was kind of getting worn from the angle. so when i turned the charger to be input from a slightly different angle i got my power back. still needed a new cord and then the laptop got stolen anyway but at least i learned something

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I did try that, actually; I think it’s just separated to the point that it isn’t carrying enough juice to be connected. The computer repair place I called said it sounds like a 99% chance that’s the problem. If it is the port they can fix it but it’s a lot of money!

Please please please please please. I want my laptop back! I want my couch surfing back!

• HogwartsProfessor says:

UPDATE: Just went to Staples and got a universal charger. When we plugged in the test one it lit right up. So apparently it WAS the frayed charger and not my laptop port.

THANK YOU GOD, BUDDAH, UNIVERSE, ETC.!!!!!

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Good luck with the laptop. I hope it’s just the charger! Need to keep it going so you can chat with your FriendBoy ; )

• HogwartsProfessor says:

LOL oh yeah!! Lucky I have the desktop, but sitting on that uncomfortable cheapo office chair I have, even with pillows, does not make for a relaxing chat. :P

7. HogwartsProfessor says:

Laura, we want pictures of the cute goggie costume please! :)

8. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!

This has been the longest week EVAR. I’ve been at work a lot more than usual, and over the past couple of weekends (and this weekend) I’ve been working on a website for a local business. It’s turning out well, dispite all the limitations they have put on me, but this weekend it’ll be as done as it will be so it can be published online. Woohoo! And just in time to give me a free birthday weekend next weekend. Phew.

Last night was fun though, I went with my dad to see the MST3K crew do Rifftrax on the movie House on Haunted Hill. The short films they showed before the movie were scarrier than that movie. I have been looking online to find “Paper and I” but have been unable to find it. Sadpanda.

More web design this weekend, and hiding from Trick-Or-Treaters.

I need some time off, very badly.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Aww. Relax this weekend. Enjoy your Halloween. And happy birthday early! :)

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Thanks : ) I will try to do some relaxing. Mr. Aroo is off all weekend (he normally works Saturdays) and that usually makes me feel lazy. Heh.

• pop top says:

GIVE ME YOUR PUDDING CUPS

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I don’t deserve oatmeal : (

So hillarious. My dad and I got back to my place and decided to have sandwiches for dinner, and he put the meat and cheese away before I got a chance to get to it and he said “What have you been doing this whole time?!”
        “Spreading!!”
        “*shows squirted mustard on his bread* SEE! It’s FAST!”
        “Well MAYO doesn’t squirt, unless you buy the FANCY MAYO in the squeeze bottle and that COSTS MORE and it’s too FANCY”

I don’t deserve fancy mayo : (

Hehe.

9. You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

Blah. My office is moving to a temporary office that is a few blocks away while our current office will be renovated. It has been a clusterf*ck since the very beginning.
    No one knows anything, no one tells us anything, no one is accountable for anything. We were supposed to move to the temporary space 2 months ago. The move coordinators tell us one thing, then a different move coordinator will tell us something different. It’s a pain in everyone’s neck!
    Personally, I have moved to new apartments 3 times this year! I’m sick of moving!

10. Bativac says:

Fellow Consumerists, I’m taking a desperately-needed vacation in a week or so. My wife and I are driving from Florida to Canada. Any must-see stops along the way? Particularly stuff north of Virginia.

In an unrelated matter, I bought a used iPhone. The old flip phone finally gave up the ghost. I am apprehensive but the iPhone was only $50 from a friend so I couldn’t resist…

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Wow. Florida to Canada? That’s a loooooong trip. Are you making longer stops or are you looking for suggestions for day trips? Annapolis, MD is nice for a day trip. Amish country in Pennsylvania is nice, though you might be sticking exclusively to the coastline. The coast of Maine is gorgeous.

• Bativac says:

We’re definitely spending some time in Maine. Our itinerary includes a few days in Washington DC (we’ve never been), Boston (we’ve never been), Maine (I once lived in Portland), NYC (my wife loves it and I’m happy as long as we get the obligatory stop at Ghostbusters HQ), and I’m considering a stop in Rhode Island, because, why not?

We may veer off our path and check out Amish country. I am intrigued at the thought of spending time among the Amish.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I live in DC. It’s a great city. Don’t listen to people who say it’s dangerous…it’s not, just don’t be stupid. Be aware of your surroundings, and know where you are. Dupont Circle is a great place to walk around. If you love Mexican food, Oyamel is one of the best restaurants in the city. Jaleo across the street is hands down the best Spanish tapas ever. U Street is great for vintage stuff. I also encourage you to venture outside DC a little. Arlington has a great bar scene, Silver Spring has AFI theater, and Old Town Alexandria attracts a lot of tourists, but also has mostly original and locally owned restaurants, and great antique shops.

Oh and if you ride our illustrious metrorail system, please remember: stand to the right, walk to the left. All the people who work in the city will appreciate you just for that.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Ha ha, when my college choir went on tour in the DC area, some of us sneaked out and ran around on the Metro. Because I had been to London and used the Underground there, I was the only one who knew how to read the map. I definitely scored some cool points that day!

And the Smithsonian was fricking awesome. I’d like to come back someday and spend a week there.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I had Amish neighbors for a time. They’re generally really good people. Very nice and SUCH GOOD COOKS.

• pop top says:

It depends on what route you’re taking. If you are heading down I-75, stop in Newport KY (right over the river from Cincinnati, OH) and go to Newport on the Levee, which is their big restaurant and shopping district. It also has a one of the coolest aquariums I’ve ever been to, featuring the world’s only captive breeding pair of shark rays. It is a must-see. Driving through TN on 75 is a treat since you’ll be going through the Smokie Mountains; they’re gorgeous and there’s a ton of parks and scenic stops along the way. Pigeon Forge/Gatlinsburg, TN is fun too. OH is hell to drive through and I hate it, but the Toledo Zoo is pretty cool. Michigan (my state) is awesome as hell and there’s a lot of great scenery. Frankenmuth is a little ways off of the highway but it’s a cute little town, and EVERYTHING north of Clare is gorgeous. If you can, stop off and go to Mackinac Island, which is right over the Bridge.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:
  11. JulesNoctambule says:

I’m dressing my cat for Halloween, but that’s no so unusual because she’s had to wear a onesie since last April because of cancer. We’re going to doll up her usual onesie for the night with some fairy wings and let her greet the trick-or-treaters in her little costume — she loves attention.

12. CrankyOwl says:

Taking the day off for my birthday. Went to Powell’s to sell some books and buy new ones, but I couldn’t find any fantasy books that aren’t part of an unfinished series. When will the frigging Wheel of Time series *finally* be done? And WTH is George RR Martin futzing around with that he can’t finish his series? Meh.

CrankyOwl, formerly known as Dustbunny

13. czadd says:

My bank rocks! I got a call yesterday from Visa’s risk management division. They noticed that there was a strange pattern of charges on my debit card to various merchants. I confirmed that they weren’t mine and they instantly killed my card. When I called the bank they told me that they would send a new one ASAP and that I won’t be responsible for the charges. Sure, it was less than $10, but it’s good to know they are willing to help. I’m pretty sure my old bank (the one with the stagecoach on the logo) wouldn’t have done anything to help. The way they treated me when I was a customer, they probably would have made up special fees just for me. Once again, best…bank…ever…

14. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Well, the company I work for was sold. Still don’t know if I will be employed or for how long. At least our office staff was told to report to work on Monday as usual.

I’m just plain scared.

15. Not Given says:

I think my husband’s favorite cat just died. I’ve been giving him antibiotics, nutritional supplement and subQ fluids and laying him on a heating pad. He did seem to perk up a little, but he made a little noise and I checked on him and I think he’s dead now. I’m not gonna wake up my husband.