Should The Map Updates I Paid For Overfill My GPS's Memory?

C.R, bought a Navigon GPS unit a few years ago, and also paid for a service that allows him to download fresh maps every so often. When he went to install the latest map, he discovered something irritating: the memory that came with his unit wasn’t enough, and he would need to go out and buy an 8 GB microSD card to fit all of the map goodness. Is this fair?

A couple years ago I bought a Navigon 7200T (over $300!). Shortly after I purchased their “freshmaps” offering which allows me to download and install new versions of the maps. Well, after a year or so I was finally able to download the maps from them, but wasn’t able to install it because their software, well basically, sucks. Recently I decided to try again since my subscription was coming to an end soon. I was finally able to get the software installed and talking to my GPS correctly. But it still wouldn’t install the updated maps. Why? Because the update was bigger then the available space on my GPS! I contacted Navigon about this and all they could suggest to me was to purchase a micoSD card for the GPS which is at least as big as the update file. The unit came with a 2GB card.

So, to summarize, I’ve spent about $400 total on this GPS and Navigon wants me to now spend even more for a new microSD card because their update is too large for the one they included with the unit? Do they not know how much space they have available on the units they sell? This just doesn’t seem right to me. I’ve spent a ton on this thing already and they want me to spend more! They should know what space they have available and create their updates accordingly. Right?

P.S. I know an 8GB card is pretty cheap now. It’s just the principal of the matter seems wrong to me.

Comments

1. Danny says:

technology advances… you gotta pay to keep up, suck it up.

• DewBerry says:

$22 from wal-mart, buy it and be happy with your new super-sized map.

Unless, of course, your GPS doesn’t support the SDHC format required to move to 8GB. Then 4GB would be the way to go.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

She did pay to keep up: the company sold her a year of free updates. If they were planning to blow past the capacity of the device with any of those updates they shouldn’t have allowed her to buy it without disclosing she’d have to buy hardware upgrades.

• OnePumpChump says:

This isn’t technology advancing. It is software bloating. There is a difference. In fact, this is the reason you do not gain more benefit from hardware technology advancing.

2. Aedilis says:

A couple of things come to mind here:

- Are you wiping out the old maps that are on there and replacing them with the new ones? If you’re simply just adding more data onto the card, you might find that you’re wasting some space.

- You say that the GPS is a couple of years old. So you’ve got some use out of it and that $400 investment you’re talking about has been spread out over those years. It’s not like you dropped $400 at the store and then were told right away that you had to buy another memory card.

• mattarse says:

Yes but he did also pay extra (not sure on US pricing but the FreshMaps offer in Europe is about 70 euro) to get updated maps over time, the hardware should be able to handle it during the life of the subscription.

• Alvis says:

And then didn’t use any of those updates he paid for over those couple of years – he clearly didn’t care enough about them then to work out the issue.

• nbs2 says:

I agree that the size increase seems a little high, but I suspect it also includes data that his model won’t support (i.e. lane guidance data).

3. blinky says:

I noticed my PC won’t install Windows 7 even though I maxed out the memory to 640K. Is this fair?

• Aedilis says:

I manufactures the K in my own house with common household items.

• jefeloco says:

No, it isn’t fair. Your PC vendor should send you updated equipment to handle advances in software. Why should you be expected to maintain your own system in order to handle updates, i.e. buying more storage space when newer software needs it (or memory for that matter)?

/sarcasm

• Destron says:

Are you kidding?? How is that possible?? Lord Gates promised me 640K would last me a lifetime!!!!

4. ITDEFX says:

Honestly some of these paid map updates are STILL OUT OF DATE! With the no refund policy in stores with these things you are SOL :(

5. balthisar says:

My Macintosh SE only has a 20 MB hard drive, but the latest Mac OS installer says I need 5 GB of disk space. It’s not fair that I should have to update my equipment at personal cost to me to perform an optional software upgrade.

(Hopefully Snow Leopard runs well on a Motorola 68000.)

• jefeloco says:

“(Hopefully Snow Leopard runs well on a Motorola 68000.)”

Hmmm, that is the same main processor in a Sega Genesis…

I should see if I can rig a DVD to my old gen 1 Genesis and Nomad to see if I can get snow leopard on it. Classic Hackintosh for the win!

6. Grabraham says:

Or just ignore the updates. My buit-in GPS runs off a DVD. If I want to update it it would run a couple hundred bucks for the latest version MEH even in the very rare occasion when major construction has taken place and a new road added or whatever the GPS figures out how to get me where I am going or I start reading road signs. =)

But since you paid for the updates it is probably worth spending the $8-$16 dollars to take advantage of them.

7. polishhillbilly says:

A Garmin Nuvi is what you need.
    There are loads of free data http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all
    I support about 200 of these units, and the internal battery begins failing at 4 years of age, which isn’t too bad. The unit will only read 2 GB of data, so having a 4GB or larger SD is not that advantageous.

Look for the Garmin Custom POI loader, and you can load all Sorts of GIS created data that is free and easy for the taking.

Multiple data layers can be loaded, you just have to turn off the layers you are not using.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

I agree. I did extensive research on these and the Garmin Nuvi models were very good – maybe not the best, certainly not the worst, but consistently good in all respects! I bought one (205W) and am quite satisfied.

• TPA says:

I’ve tried quite a few GPS brands. Ultimate conclusion for me is: Garmin is the winner. Not because it’s the best, but because it sucks the least out of the units out there. Still far from flawless, but it’s the best all-around we have to choose from. My two nuvi 765T units currently have a 8GB SDHC cards in them with no ill effects. Trying to remember if the 2×5 series supports this or not.

I think the guy needs to buy a card and stop whining — map data has become larger than the device’s memory. No different than filling a hard drive. I do wish GPS units came with more memory to begin with, but back a few years ago, no one ever updated their GPS due to licensing costs often being close to what you could buy a new GPS for.

8. NCSUSean says:

So basically the OP bought a GPS “YEARS” ago for a whole $300! He couldn’t get the software to install the maps back then because their “software sucks”. Yet, it sounds like he had no idea what he was doing and didn’t even bother to contact tech support. Now that we are in the *FUTURE* where technology has advanced, he wants to get the maps loaded but finds that his *OUTDATED* GPS needs an upgrade to handle the newer maps and is complaining about it?

The OP obviously has no idea about how technology works. I’d love to load Windows 7 on my old computer, and technically it is possible, however I would have to *invest in some upgrades* to make it work properly. Instead, I went ahead and put together a new system that runs it fine.

I don’t see what the OPs problem is. His device needs and upgrade to stay with the times. He can either choose to upgrade (Buy the larger microSD card), or he can choose to get a new device. This is how technology works.

• tmac40 says:

Did the US suddenly get a lot more roads? There is no reason that a map update should be larger than the original that came with it. This is likely laziness by the people producing the maps. This is not how technology works. There is no reason for this company to not produce a map update that fits on the original SD Card. I can’t believe all the of the people defending this. They probably provide new data in the maps for other GPS units that would be wasted space on the OP’s SD Card. If they made a map file once that could fit on the SD card they can do it again.

• MistahFixit says:

^ This is kind of what I was thinking. Unless the map region suddenly got a lot bigger, or a helluvalot more detailed, the file should stay (more or less) the same size, shouldn’t it?

• parv says:

If the files are not being replaced, every little new, additional file would claim space ever more.

• jessjj347 says:

I also suspect that if he used the update previously (back when OP said the software sucked and he gave up), it would have also been too large for the device.

I’m thinking whatever he’s trying to download from “freshmaps” is far larger than what his device has ever supported without hardware upgrade.

• Taliskan says:

Most of these maps are getting way more detailed. Lots of smaller, lesser know roads are added as well as location spots (rest stops, gas stations, etc.), and individual address locations. Just an example, the Google Maps of today versus a few years ago is way different. It has more detail, more roads, and can pinpoint addresses better. This came as a result of tons of data.

The other issue is as you add more data to something, you need more ways to sort through it all. So more programming is needed.

This is why these maps grow in file size.

• TheGreySpectre says:

no we did not get more roads however we do get higher resolution satellite pictures (which take more space) and new features for GPSs, which also take up more space. I would guess the company uses a unified mapset for all it’s GPSs so the new data probalby includes some features that he can’t use but take up extra space.

Technology moves on.

• notserpmh says:

Actually, yes, we did get a lot of more new roads. Depending on how long “a couple of years ago” is, it could be quite a bit. The neighborhood I live in, with about 2,500 homes (and probably at least 100 winding roads) didn’t exist 5 years ago. There are probably at least 20 neighborhoods like that in my area (D/FW) metroplex alone. If you are getting maps for say all of the US or even all of North America, I would expect it to be a lot more. Before the recession, new home construction was at one of the highest levels in history. To build new homes, you need new roads. New roads need new maps.

Also, these new neighborhoods bring new retail, food, services (hospitals, etc) as well. So if your GPS includes waypoints/points of interest, that would also add a lot of extra space usage. Next to my neighborhood, there is a new shopping complex/center with probably 10 places to eat, 30-40 retail stores and again, more new roads.

I guess the better question to the OP is, what do you want them to leave out? I am sure there is lots of bloat in their software/code, but it was there before and has to keep expanding. I would just buy the $15 MicroSD card and move on.

• FrugalFreak says:

It doesn’t have to be like this, but the tech industry made it so they could afford BMWs and such. They could build a longer upgradable system but they like we have to put out for same crap every year or so. that is why I buy my stuff only at the lowest price when it is old.

9. sanchezizme says:

Most gadgets that require expanded memory cards (phones, cameras, etc.) are notorious for being outfitted with small cards. On the plus side, if you ever get rid of the GPS, you can reuse the 8GB card in another device.

10. damageinc says:

I have an 8GB ipod but I’ve bought more media than can fit on it. Should Apple have to send me a new, larger capacity ipod because of this?

Ok, I know thats not quite a fair comparison, but your GPS is a number years old. If this were a matter of months it would be different, but technology advances and support for older devices ends.

Oh, and “but wasn’t able to install it because their software, well basically, sucks.” sound like user error to me.

• AnthonyC says:

There is a fine line between user error and badly designed software. Installation of most applications should be no more complicated than clicking a few buttons; heck, even modern OS software manages to accomplish this nowadays. Obviously this wouldn’t apply to software intended for use and installation by professionals (server-type stuff, etc.), but installing GPS maps and/or software ought to be painless.

Anecdote: My girlfriend and I are both technically savvy people. We’re our families’ go-to people for all things technological. Two years ago my dad bought by grandma a digital picture frame, and asked us to load the pictures onto it’s internal memory (he hadn’t bought a memory card yet). To do that, you needed to use the software it came with. We read the instructions installed the software, and then spent 2 hours repeatedly failing to transfer photos between the computer and the frame. The software was buggy. The UI was despicable. Nothing did what it looked like it should do, and there was no guidance for the user.

11. crazydavythe1st says:

It sort of reasonable to expect that something a few years old would eventually be rendered obsolete.

I’d complain though about the update service. It sounds like the OP paid for the update service and never was effectively able to use it. As an aside, I don’t travel that much, so I’m not the ideal market for a GPS – but it costs pennies to print out directions from Google and you know that they are almost always updated, even showing things like traffic accidents and construction in larger cities.

12. SJPadbury says:

Here’s a different way to look at it:

The new maps are so much more detailed than what you had before that you need more space to store it.

Basically, you’re complaining that they’re giving you *more* than you originally paid for.

13. Runner says:

You bought a service to keep the maps updated, not the hardware.

Should I get mad because some computer I bought 10 years ago no longer includes a hard drive big enough to install the latest Microsoft OS?

• nbs2 says:

I think it’s closer to, “I bought my Mac with 10.6 installed, and the HD isn’t big enough for me to install 10.6.4, even though I haven’t added any software or data.” That’s still not the same, as the update isn’t a paid upgrade, but on the other hand the maps were advertised as compatible with the owned model. I would suggest the company include required SD card size when offering updates.

14. Etoiles says:

It’s also possible that there’s some kind of file corrpution going on. We kept crashing our newer TomTom on firmware update earlier this year and eventually figured out something had gone badly corrupt and it was trying to make a 1gb file into a 4 gb file, basically, and couldn’t cram it all on the SD card and so on.

But barring that… yeah, file sizes and storage capacity pretty much both inevitably increase over time.

15. EverCynicalTHX says:

It could be worse, think of that poor time traveler from the 1920s trying desperately to use a cell phone when no cell towers exist!

16. UnicornMaster says:

asked and answered

17. whgt says:

Those map updates will contain updates to your old maps as well. On my Garmin Nuvi I browsed through the onboard memory via Windows Explorer and deleted ALL of the old maps (well backed them up). Then I used my Garmin updater to load current maps of all 50 states (and parts of Canada).

If you don’t delete the old ones off, you’re going to have 2x copies of a LOT of this data. Some the original, some the up to date.

18. Thassodar says:

You can get a 4GB MicroSD card for literally $10! What’s this guy’s problem? $20 for 8GB isn’t going to break the bank, homeboy.

19. zombie70433 says:

could the extra data be business locations? My friend has a gps that will let her search for businesses, and map a route to the closest one.

20. sirwired says:

The maps get bigger usually because they have more Points of Interest loaded. Would the OP rather not have the new POIs added? Because making the maps less complete would certainly make them smaller.

Alternatively, I know Garmin will let you pick and choose which maps you want loaded… maybe Navigon has that option too?

21. aloria says:

I suppose you complain when your several years old computer needs a new stick of RAM to run the newest software, too.

Technology advances at an incredibly rapid rate; if I were in your shoes I would be happy that it’s only going to cost me $20 or so to keep my unit current. The only way I’d sympathize is if the GPS units Navigon is presently selling also come with only 2GB cards… then it would seem like they’re trying to force people into upgrades.

22. jiarby says:

what a whiney bag! Just upgrade the memory or delete the old stuff.

On a similar note…
    In 1990 I had a Packard Bell 386SX16 with a 40mb HDD. Windows came on 6 floppy disks. A couple years later I wanted to update my software but I discovered that I was out of disk space!

Shouldn’t Packard Bell have given me a computer with a HDD that would hold an infinite amount of future updates!?

• dr_drift says:

So what if you bought a Windows Vista computer in 2007 that came with Office 2007 and you paid $100 to upgrade to Office 2010. Office 2010 comes out and requires that you upgrade to Windows 7 if you want to install it. So what, just pay another $100 and upgrade? I guess it is your fault for not having the newest OS, right?

23. mattarse says:

There seems to be alot of blame the OP here which I think is misguided. I have a Navigon, and the point that you need to upgrade hardware overtime, the computer and Ipod comparisons etc I don’t think are warranted.

When you buy a Navigon and register with the site, the first thing they do is try to get you to buy the FreshMaps updates for a 2 year period. This upsell is done for the specific device you have just registered. I think it’s fair to assume that when you do this that the updates should work with the hardware (remember you just registered that hardware) you have bought.

Here is the Navigon page concerning the FreshMaps service – I don’t see any mention here that you may need to buy additional memory.

That being said – I also have a Navigon and all of Europe is only a little over 2 gb. He probably needs to delete the old maps off of it – but I’m surprised the software doesn’t do this. I would recomend doing a full backup using the Navigon software, then deleting the map folders, and then trying the update. Worse case you’ll have to restore the device from the backup.

• dr_drift says:

Wow! Blame the OP to the extreeeeeme! I think the OP is being reasonable here. He paid for a service to update his specific device for a certain period. If the performance of that service is dependent on him buying additional items that weren’t originally outlined in the agreement, I think he’s right to be upset.

If I bought a car that included a free set of tires once my original tires wore off, only to find out that, if I wanted the new tires installed, I’d have to buy the optional bigger wheels, then I’d be upset. But hey, $200-$300 for a set of wheels, that’s a drop in the bucket compared to the purchase price of the car itself! Just buy them and move on, geez! Right? By the way, the dealer has a great set of wheels on sale, fresh from the factory…

• SpamFighterLoy says:

You’re missing the point that the maps are optional. A set of basic maps comes with the GPS. She bought an additional service of downloadable maps, failing to read up on it. In almost every GPS out there, you have to buy a memory card to download any additional maps or map updates. It’s pretty much stock / standard for the item and industry.

• mattarse says:

What did the OP fail to read up on? I don’t see it mentioned on the freshmaps page that you need to buy an additional memory card – am I missing that?

24. Delta1 says:

Yes, it’s fair. When I filled up my MP3 player, I bought a MicroSDHC card. When I filled up my hard drive, I bought an external drive. Your device is not special.

25. Gravitational Eddy says:

Never fails to surprise me how people will not replace the outmoded older tech stuff they have, even when the replacement is FREE. Google Earth has been up now way over 5 years, yet people are still dragging ancient GPS units around.
    I read a tech article some time back that suggested Garmin was running for it’s life because of Apple’s Iphone. There’s this little app called Safari (a browser) that supports all the features of Google Earth, and that pretty much obsoletes the Garmin units.

• misterfweem says:

Unless, of course, you don’t want to be saddled with monthly cell phone and data charges just to get directions. Just because technology marches on doesn’t necessarily mean everyone has to keep in step.

That said, the OP needs to suck it up and buy that 8GB SD card. He could even go 16 GB for only $26. That’s cheaper than an iPhone, last I heard.

• Firethorn says:

not to mention that the screen on my tomtom is still larger than that of my brand new GalaxyS.

It wouldn’t even take a year for the various subscription charges to equal the cost of the occasional new model or map update.

• TPA says:

My first car GPS system was a PC running Win98 with Delorme Street Atlas going. With all the extra hardware & an interface meant for PCs = not a good driving system.

TeleNav/Google are fine as long as you’re not going to be in areas of spotty cell phone coverage OR aren’t planning on using your phone at all during the trip.

I reluctantly bought a standalone GPS for those two aforementioned reasons. Then I discovered how well Garmin had thought out much of their product to be useful WHILE driving. The Android phones’ navigation capabilities are quite nice, but still suffers from the same two flaws I mentioned above, as we found out on a trip in IL outside of Chicago earlier this year. No cell phone coverage and you’re screwed.

26. Jacquilynne says:

I have the same problem with my Garmin, but Garmin’s loader gives me the option of updating only a portion of my maps, and a few different choices of how to do that. So I choose to update the Eastern half of North America, which covers almost all of the driving I do, anyway. And most of what I do in the Western half is in my home town, where I don’t particularly need a GPS.

If I end up renting a car on the west coast, I’ll either have to do with slightly out of date maps (and really, it’s less the maps and more the business information that changes) or rent a GPS, which is unfortunate, but hey, I have an old piece of new technology — things have been changing fast in the few years since GPS went retail. I am not surprised that it has limits.

• whgt says:

I posted this above:

• Jacquilynne says:

I’m not sure if I have the ability to deal with the files on my garmin simply as files — I’ve never tried it. I update it via specific software.

27. Anachronism says:

I don’t get the gripe. What keeps you from just loading the maps in the area you are reasonably expected to visit (and spending 5 minutes updated maps at some future point in case you visit someplace else)?

Furthermore, an 8 GB card is cheap, IF you so desire to have every map ever for some reason.

28. LanMan04 says:

Mmmmm, ferrite core memory.

It had destructive reads! Weird stuff…

29. Anonymously says:

All of the people making analogies to music players and computers are off base.

They are selling proprietary software for proprietary hardware. If they disclosed that a hardware upgrade may be necessary to use the “freshmaps” service, this is fine. If they did not disclose that upfront, this is wrong.

• dr_drift says:

Wow, you, like, thought it out. Using your brain and everything! I guess that’s too much to ask for everyone else… “JUST BUY THE STUPID MEMORY CARD AND FORGET THAT THE COMPANY LIED TO YOU AND TOOK YOUR MONEY.”

30. Rachacha says:

The alternative would have been for the OP to spend $700 “a few years ago” to get the GPS with more internal memory, but he chose to go with the less expensive $300 model. New roads and POIs are being added all the time, and this takes more room to store. As time goes on, you will eventually run out of room. Fortunately the manufacturer provided you with a mechanism to upgrade your GPS.

Spend $15 and upgrade your GPS and it will give you many more years of service. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208506&cm_re=microSD-_-20-208-506-_-Product

31. SpamFighterLoy says:

I bought this computer from Dell years ago, and I keep downloading new software … and now I can’t because no more new software will fit. The only thing they suggest is buying a new hard drive!

Imagine that.

$300 is not all that expensive for a GPS unit that will accept downloaded maps and yes, you have to purchase enough storage for them. Maps are optional, that is why memory is not included with the base GPS. Knuckle down and buy a cheap flash disk.

• dr_drift says:

I don’t think you understand the nature of the problem. The customer paid for the map updating service that the company upsold him on when he bought the device. Now they’re saying that it wasn’t enough for him to buy the service alone, he’s going to have to buy more memory for his device as well.

So it’s like buying your Dell in 2007 with Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007, and then you paid another $100 so that you can upgrade to Office 2010 when it comes out. Then, when Office 2010 comes out, they say that it’ll only work on Windows 7. But hey, I guess it’s your fault for not keeping up with technology, right?

32. dr_drift says:

• LatinoGeek says:

I suspect some level of user error at play here. The OP can buy a memory card of sufficient capacity from anywhere. The OP paid to *get access to map updates*. Which he/she got. The OP did not pay to get a free storage upgrade every time the map data exceeds the capacity of the unit.

These devices are designed to be upgradeable for the very reason that with time, map data will likely grow and the amount of memory in the unit is finite and will run out. Some amount of management of the storage will be necessary.

• Anonymously says:

The OP contacted tech support. It was their solution was to upgrade hardware, so you have to assume the ruled out the easy stuff that didn’t involve buying more hardware.

33. Froggmann says:

I’ll just say it. OP: Stop bitching and just go upgrade your freaking hardware.

34. tonyhuk says:

I’ve been a Garmin user for many years, and to keep it short and simple…. Garmin maps keep getting bigger and bigger due to the amount of new information added to the database. Load ONLY the areas of the map you need, and you shouldn’t run out of memory (half the US IS reasonable).
    Or, for those times when you need an alternate GPS, virtually all smartphones today include GPS technology… and it works well!

35. Graymalkin56 says:

Navigon obviously underestimated the real estate industry’s ability to keep adding new streets and subdivisions even in the teeth of the worst real estate market in the history of mankind.

36. jro2020 says:

umm duh more roads and more poi equals more data.
    Drat that company for doing the right thing and offering up datable maps.
    Maybe you should have a talk with the government and have them stop making new roads, parks and hospitrals, and companies to stop opening new stores.

37. Gravitational Eddy says:

It’s like the old joke that you have to buy a new car because the ashtray is full….

38. common_sense84 says:

Nothing wrong here. SD cards are cheap.

You would only have a case if the device had no SD card slot.

39. Torchwood says:

Yawn…. this is a non-issue. The poster should be happy that it can use off-the-shelf memory cards and not proprietary memory cards sold only that the manufacturer.

I purchased a Garmin nuvi 265WT. The manual and the website explicitly states that you may need additional memory for future updates. The nice thing is that the Garmin appears as a standard drive when hooked up to my computer which means that I could go in and delete all the voices and help files in languages that I do not use.

40. Clyde Barrow says:

Is this fair? LOL,,go buy a new card you whiny ass bitch. And next time do some research before something so you can plan for changes.

41. Razor512 says:

Sometimes you need to delete the maps and other map related data before updating since the update process on navigon GPS’s are not clean updates.

42. Jay911 says:

Does C.R, need the entire country or whatever is contained on the map? The maps that come with my GPS (which is a more common brand; I’ve never heard of Navigon) can be broken up into segments – just the lower 48, or even just the midwest if you want. But if you want the location of every Starbucks in the nation, you gotta get some more memory as the map gets more detailed.

And as another poster right at the top said, a 2 year old piece of electronics is getting close to being obsolete anyway. Principle (or principal) or not, pony up and get another GPS.

43. parabola101 says:

YEP! The same thing for TomTom. Sucks!!

44. StevePierce says:

Yes, it is fair. Be grateful, I had a Garmin, they wouldn’t even offer updates three years after I purchased it.

45. sakanagai says:

I had to update the maps on my Navigon 5100 recently with similar issues. The 2GB SD card was too small to allow copying the new files. The solution was easy enough, though. I just copied the contents of the SD card onto my computer, deleted the I was replacing from the card, and then loaded the new maps now that there was enough vacant space.

46. Chigaimasmaro says:

I think there might be a technical mix up here. I have Garmin Nuvi 200 that I purchased a year or two ago, and I’m still able to get the entire NA maps update installed onto just the internal memory of the device. The user might want to call technical support or look into forums for how to properly install map updates for his GPS, maybe due to how the software is laid out he’s adding additional maps or something that he doesnt need which is taking up the 8gb of space.

47. ned4spd8874 says:

I’m the OP here. I just saw that they ran my story!

First things first. I’m not an idiot. I’ve been in the I.T. field for over 13 years now. I know about technology and how to use it. True, I haven’t spend every hour of the day trying to get the crappy software to work on my computer and then to properly talk to my device. I do have a life.

Yes, I did contact support. Well, I tried. You go ahead and try to find a contact phone number or email on their site. I don’t remember how I got it, but it took me quite some time to just find an email address for them the last time I tried this about a year ago. This is their reply to my email inquiry:

“Thank you for your inquiry.

NAVIGONFresh does not recognize your device, please try it again.”

I responded that I did try it again. I tried it on multiple computers running multiple OS’s. They responded with the following:

“It could be possible, that you have a wrong NAVGONFresh download, please delete your NAVIGONFresh and all the files and download and install it again.”

I never responded back to them because they were obviously not reading my emails and understanding the problem. Shortly after this I got my Android phone and used that for navigation. It was just recently when I was having problems with my phone at the same time we were taking a drive to Chicago that I realized that I would like to use the Navigon that I paid so much for and still couldn’t get updated.

Comparing this issue to your home computer or mp3 player is not an apples to apples comparison. The GPS is proprietary hardware that runs proprietary software. I understand that if I want to install Windows 7 I might have to upgrade my hardware. Microsoft does provide a minimum hardware requirements. I can install Windows 7 on any computer I own so long as it meets those requirements. I understand that the 2GB mp3 player I have only will fit 2GB of songs on it. I understand that when my SD card gets full for my camera, I need to empty it or delete pictures.

Now I also have an Android phone from Verizon (I know and I do use the Google navigation, but that’s not what this story is about). So let’s say that the new Froyo version of the operating system that Verizon was pushing down to my phone was too big for the phones memory. And to get the latest version of the software, for the phone that I purchased from them, that I pay them for service on; I was going to have to buy a new SD card to install in the phone so I could get the latest software. Is that acceptable? According to what I’ve read here, yes it is.

Why is that? That makes no sense! If you buy a product and you purchase the warranty or subscribe to the updates. And then the company that you paid, regardless of how big or small the amount, now says that you can’t benefit from your added purchases because they somehow forgot the device specifications when they made the update; how is that right? I’m sorry if I find that unfair. I’m obviously not in consensus with everyone else I guess.

I know the cards are cheap, and I have already ordered one. But again, it’s the principal of the matter. I’m someone that does not like big business thinking they are above everything and everyone. Just because they have more money than me, I shouldn’t just bend over and take it.

I paid for something and they failed to provide it. End of story. Period.

• asamtoy says:

I agree – the other posters critical of this have no concept of the difference between the hardware and the service. Their analogies fail because they can’t understand what was purchased.

Have you heard of this happening to others?

48. kujospam says:

For me it was. They warned me upfront about it for my GPS