GameStop Pushed Me Out Because I Refused To Upsell

You can’t walk into a GameStop without having to fend off requests to sign up for a membership and preorder games. A former manager says he refused to take part in the often irritating environment, faced a demotion due to poor upselling numbers and lost his house as a result.

He writes:

I am the ex-assistant manager of a GameStop location somewhere in the eastern United States. I’m writing you to inform you of my horror story with this company.

I started off as a simple clerk (or Game Advisor as they’re called in GameStop land). Three months into my job, I received a promotion to shift leader (Senior Game Advisor). This, in turn, resulted in a pay raise and more hours which allowed me to quit my second job.

Enter recession.

While part time, our hours as lower level management were higher than those of regular employees. I quit my second job with the prospect of a better future with GameStop (and while it was not their fault the hours got shafted, it still made for a struggle to get by).

A year and a half into my tenure, I was approached by my store manager informing me that an opportunity had recently become available in a store 25 miles away. I happily accepted.

Christmas time in 2009 rolled around and I was now “Happily” placed at a smaller volume store as the assistant manager (full time!). Things were great for a while…
As many of you readers already know, if you don’t sell a certain percentage of GameStop’s “exclusive” membership cards (referred to as Edge Cards), and meet a certain percentage of reservations, you are worthless to the company. Let me simply state that I believe the customer’s satisfaction comes first. Apparently, that’s a frowned upon statement in GameStop land as I soon received a nice write-up telling me to “Improve my numbers or be demoted”.

I was faced with a difficult decision; be demoted and lose hours and lose my house, or quit and lose my house. I elected the latter option and soon landed another full time job making less money but with more hours (which ALSO didn’t work out.. but I digress)

“Sell Edge cards and Reservations or lose your job”.

On a much more hilarious and sad note, I now work for Best Buy / Geek Squad.

At least he has optimized his work situation.

Comments

1. Mcshonky says:

you knew the rules of the game before the coach put you in.
    you have no one to blame but yourself.

• Zerkaboid says:

You beat me to it, well said.

• dolemite says:

I’m pretty sure the big push for these lame rewards programs is pretty recent. Sure, they were there before, but there was another consumerist article stating they wanted to force these things on every single customer now, and that is a recent development.

• Akuma X says:

I worked at Electronics Boutique, now Gamestop, 13 years ago and we had to push the cards the same way back then. Don’t sell enough, you’re fired. My manager lost his job due to those stupid cards.

• dolemite says:

Yeah, I know they had to peddle the programs back then, but they have a new program that they basically stated every customer must join, whether they want to or not. In the old system, it was basically: “Do you want to join our game club?” “No thanks” “Ok.”, and that was that.

• Wombatish says:

No, it wasn’t.

It was always “the card is more important than the sale”. Your sales -do not matter-. You could push $15,000 worth of product in a store that normally does 5 and you’d probably get a pat on the back as they hand you your write-up over your edge card numbers.

The Edge Card (they’ve given it some new name now since people finally learned what a trap the old card was – and I’m sure the ‘free version’ has to do with ‘everyone must have one’ but the paid version is still exactly the same as it was) has always been the ‘but’. No matter how well you’re doing in any other area, it can and will sink you. Similarly, no matter how poorly you’re doing everywhere else, it DOES save you and even (often) get you promoted. No management experience? Who cares if you can sell EDGE CARDS!!

There was a guy at a store in my district who figured out how to go through and take other people’s reservations and edge card sales and put them under his ID. He never took all of them, and it took a while to figure out who was doing it. The manager of the store wanted him fired immediately, and corporate actually fought him on it -because his edge card sales were good-. In the end he was transfered and written up. Not fired. Despite effectively stealing (since your hours are tied to your edge card percentages) he got a slap on the wrist because they blindly see him as making them money, even though he didn’t actually do jack shit.

It’s a completely fucked up system and I’m not surprised the OP got the shaft from it.

• jaazzman says:

You dont want to feel sleazy in trying to upsell, so you take a job at Best Buy Geek Squad? You’re obviously a Consumerist reader so you know all the crap that Geek Squad does and somehow you feel better about yourself there? Way to move up in the world.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Well, on the bright side, he’ll certainly be the most competent one there; since he apparently knows how to operate a computer and send e-mail, that puts him head and shoulders above other Geek Squad members.

• technoluster says:

Agreed.

• cheezfri says:

Troll much?

• jason in boston says:

Well said.

• tanyaandkarl says:

Absolutely.
      OP claims to have made a moral decision.
      Though as somebody else points out below his next choice of employer shows his only problem is whether he personally gets his hands dirty.

But you don’t have to force customer’s to buy stupid stuff; just put it in front of them and they’ll buy it.

I used to work in a pet store run by an old hippie who still believed in treating people like people, not morons.
      He told us “Don’t try to force the customer to buy anything. And tell them the truth–if they’re buying something they don’t need, or there’s a better or even cheaper way, it’s OK to let them know.”
      They’d take a bag of “aquarium salt”–about a pound for 1.99. We got the stuff in 50# bags for $3.00 and rebagged it in the back when things were slow. I’d tell them that for $3.00 they could have a lifetime supply of it–or just pick up a carton of Morton’s for $0.25 next time they were in the grocery.

They’d still buy it.

I asked Tom, the owner, why he sold stuff he knew was useless. He said they’d come in asking for crap we knew they did NOT need. If he didn’t have it, they’d get huffy and leave.
      Fine–we tell them they don’t need it, but, if they were bound and determined to throw their money away, he was happy to be the one to catch it.

• 339point4 says:

I was under the impression that Morton’s was iodized and therefore unsuitable for fish.

• Im Just Saying says:

My problem with these upsells is they just repeat the same pitch over and over again:

“Want to get the extended warranty?”
          “No”
          “It protects your purchase for X months…”
          “No thanks”
          “Are you sure you don’t want it?”
          “What did I say?”

Rebutting a denial isn’t just repeating the question. Tell me why I need it, how it benefits me, the value of it, and do it while you’re completing the sale so that a) there’s an implied deadline for me to make a decision, and b) I don’t get detained and annoyed for you to run your speil.

This is how you close! If companies want their people to close, they need to teach them how to do it.

• Im Just Saying says:

and that was supposed to be a general comment. -1internet to me.

• OnePumpChump says:

But not teaching them is cheaper. You can just fire one low-paid nobody and hire another one of the desperately un- or under-employed.

• MikeM_inMD says:

You can buy table salt that is not iodized – even from Morton’s.

• kobresia says:

The salt in question is not table salt (with iodine added as a dietary supplement), but it’s water softener salt.

• Griking says:

Exactly. Was it a sudden surprise to you that you’d be expected to push their cards and pre-orders? I’m sorry, you’re right, we may not like pushy sales people as customers but that’s unfortunately (or was) your job

• Big Mama Pain says:

Yep. My thought was that if this person is hellbent on barely supporting himself and paying off a home by being a retail clerk manager, it’s a little too late in life to be quibbling over convictions. Doesn’t the Geek Squad get forced to push some crap, too, with a quota?

• ryder28910 says:

Yep — if you can’t do your job correctly, I don’t know what else you would honestly expect.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

Summary =! OP’s Letter

…especially on Consumerist.

The OP doesn’t actually hold GS responsible for anything. He made a bad choice that got him in the end. It’s a free country, we all get to make bad choices. All I see him doing is trying to explain the corporate culture of the place. If it’s no surprise, fine, if it is, fine. I think if you screw yourself over it’s natural to be a little expressive about crappy things turned out in the end, but it’s not like he’s saying, “GameStop ruined my LIFE!”

2. Robofish says:

That sucks for Drew and I do feel bad for him. But at least he has a job which is a positive thing. On the Gamestop note I believe him completely, especially with all my experiences on the upsells and preorders they try to push on you. My games are now bought elsewhere and traded in elsewhere ( gamefly, amazon etc )

3. Skellbasher says:

This happens in every sales job in every profession all the time. Just because Gamestop blows as a company doesn’t mean this is some huge revelation.

To answer the question put forth by Phil, I avoid retailers that use high pressure upsell tactics.

• fatediesel says:

Yep, I used to work for Sears and if I didn’t sell enough merchandise replacement agreements and merchandise protection agreements (aka extended warranties but we were never to refer to them as that) then I got fired. Did I enjoy upselling? Of course not, it pissed off some customers, but my job required I offer them and if I didn’t I got fired.

Regardless, this story doesn’t affect me because I don’t shop at GameStop, I’d rather order from Amazon and have the game waiting for me at home on release date.

• nevetsmr says:

Anyone that says they work for gamestop and is having these write-ups and horror stories is either way over exaggerating or is working in the wrong district. I am the assistant manager of a Gamestop and get terrible card and reserve numbers and not a single write up came from it and I have been with the company for coming on 4 years now. My district is more just trying to keep the customer happy.

• Talmonis says:

You’re a district manager. YOU won’t be punished for these things unless someone from corporate gets a bug up their ass, but the people under you will be.

• cheezfri says:

@Skellbasher: If it happens in “every” sales position “all the time”, then how are you shopping at companies that DON”T give you the hard sell?

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

Ding ding ding.

It was your job to ask. Yes, the GameStop cards might not be that great of a deal. But as long as you’re not being told to deceive customers about their benefits, then there’s no reason to quit a job over this.

But yes, as a CONSUMER, sometimes I just want to buy something and leave the store; a sullen facial expression usually shuts down the upsells fairly quickly.

• farker says:

You don’t have to just “ask”, you have to pressure/cajole/convince customers so that they think the Edge Card is a good idea.

• Wombatish says:

Would all be well and good if Gamestop hired salesmen.

You are told you don’t need sales experience and there are no high pressure sales. There is no commission – instead your hours just get cut.

And you’re not allowed to use high pressure tactics because they want to keep the customers happy.

There is an increased benefit to working sales, that’s why people agree to it.
      There is no increased benefit to trying to be a salesman at Gamestop.

In a normal sales situation you get a chance to make more money, you get bonuses, and you’re pretty much allowed to do whatever to the customer (you can negotiate/sweeten the pot, among other things). They also know they’re talking to a salesman and if they are there to buy anything it is -what you are selling-.

In a Gamestop situation all you get for being a salesman is the number of hours you were offered when you were hired. Not more. Not more pay. You get to get what you were effectively promised, and it’s still considered them ‘doing you a favor’. No bonuses.
      You are only allowed to ask the customer once. Most people break this rule and don’t get in trouble for it, but it’s still the rule and if your manager is a stickler on it, congratulations on losing hours! There is no room for any other changes.
      The customers are in no way there to buy an edge card. They don’t want it. It’s an extremely unattractive product. So you’re being forced to be a salseman of an extremely crappy product, on top of being a retail associate, all for the wages that a normal, non-salesman retail associate gets, after being hired as a normal, non-salesman retail associate.

Gamestop wants all the benefits of having a sales staff with none of the costs. If they would just pay the costs and stop lying when they hire people I wouldn’t have any more of a problem with them than I do any other sales oriented business.

• Rottenjunk says:

Do you honestly think that gamestop is the only company that follows this trend?

• Kuri says:

“The customers are in no way there to buy an edge card. They don’t want it. It’s an extremely unattractive product”

Uh huh. I wanted it, I thought the discount on used equipment and software was worth it, so, nice job being arbitrary.

4. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

It’s weird… my decision to reserve anything is absolutely 100% not determined by the person pitching the upsell. If I’m not asking to reserve something, I’m not going to no matter what they do.

Might as well put in their job description that they’re required to get blood from a stone.

• Bativac says:

Yeah, I’m the same way. There is nothing a store employee is going to tell me that will influence my purchasing decision. I’ve made up my mind usually before even setting foot in the store.

But, some people must be susceptible to it, or they’d lay off the hard sale tactics.

• Shadowman615 says:

Of course some people are susceptible to it. It’s a (low) percentage game, just like telemarketing or spam email. The MBAs figure if they get a person to make the same pitch to 100 people, maybe 5 will buy it. Then at the end of every month they see which employees are getting the best percentages and keep them since they’re worth more. Those people are either better at sales or just more adamant about giving the pitch every time, or just luckier — whatever it is doesn’t matter, it just boils down to numbers. My guess is that it doesn’t come down to “luck” for more than a month or two. That’s why people don’t just get fired immediately and instead get a few warnings to increase the sales first.

Big picture, I’m not sure if that’s really the best strategy — another angle to think about is the constant hard-selling drives away customers like the kind of people who read this website and always turn down pitches for things they don’t want. It’s obvious from the story that the OP’s numbers weren’t in simply because he didn’t want to make the pitches, and that was the same way he felt about it. Unfortunately, that wasn’t his decision to make.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Good point. Not sure about other people’s shopping habits, but, thanks to work, I’m pretty consistent in days and times. Whoever’s shift at Gamestop* is at whatever only day and time I go is going to get the blood-free stone.

* Theoretically… I haven’t been in a Gamestop since I had a controller emergency. B)

• roguemarvel says:

it is a numbers game, if you don’t ask the answer is always no. If you asked there is a 50% chance they will say yes.

I have done lots of sale and I just always ask, I don’t push (unless someone is clearly on th fence or it would clearly benefit them) and I’ve always had really good sales numbers.

I’m getting the impression the op didn’t even like asking

5. wellfleet says:

Dear Drew: your job as assistant manager (and as regular employee) is to maximize profots for your for-profit employer. You were not good at your job and were threatened with demotion/termination. You chose a sales position and didn’t make sales. I’m not sure what your beef is.

I can throw this out because the *exact* same thing happened to me as a sales manager at Best Buy. Although some of my metrics were best in our territory/district, some weren’t and I couldn’t get those numbers to move. This means I was unsuccessful at managing sales. While it was a blow to my ego at first, I completely understand that the company’s raison d’etre is profit, and that it won’t employ people who can’t help it stay/become profitable.

Some people hate upsells and some people actually purchase “upsells” because they want/need the other item/service. All you’re required to do is offer. My guess is that Drew decided that GameStop’s offerings were bullshit and didn’t offer and that’s why his numbers suffered.

I may get flamed, but this is 100% true. Unless you work on Wall Street or are CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch, you actually have to turn a profit to keep your job.

• Anonymously says:

I, for one, prefer to solicit companies that treat their employees like human beings. I appreciate this information as another reason to avoid GameStop.

• TheGreySpectre says:

Good luck finding a company who’s goals are not improving profits.

• Anonymously says:

Thanks, though I already work for a company whose primary stated goal is employee satisfaction.

• figaro1010 says:

Seriously?

Well in that case, I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

I’ve read all about high pressure sales tactics, but I really don’t see it when I go into the GameStop nearest me. I get all the same pitches, but for some reason, all I have to do is say “no” (or even “YES” if I am interested) and they stop asking.

For some strange reason I have been shopping at the same GameStop for over 2 years now and they continue to keep the same staff.

• JJFIII says:

If that is their “primary”

• MB17 says:

You don’t maximize profits by berating your customers. That’s how they become ex-customers.

• wellfleet says:

Who said berating? My spiel: the computer you’re buying qualifies for a three-years Black Tie Protection Plan from Best Buy (hand them brochure), we cover accidental damage, hardware failure like hard drive, and offer one battery/power supply replacement. We don’t cover for for software issues, that’s up to you. Would you like to add that to your purchase? Customer says yes, I rang them up. Customer says no, I responded with “ok, you have 14 days if you change your mind, thank you” and ring them up. The people who sell the most are the people who berate the least and give an honest review of what’s covered and not covered.

• roguemarvel says:

this is the truth and this is how you do it!

• AlphaLackey says:

> Would you like to add that to your purchase? Customer says yes, I rang them up. Customer says no, I responded with “ok, you have 14 days if you change your mind, thank you” and ring them up.

Which Best Buy do you work at? Never once have I had that experience. Every time I’ve declined, I’ve gotten “May I ask why?” Three minutes of tirade later, I make them regret asking that question.

> The people who sell the most are the people who berate the least and give an honest review of what’s covered and not covered.

Out of curiousity, does your “honest review” include the claim that it’s a good decision, good purchase, good choice, etc? Because it’s impossible for that claim to be accurate, a highly paid actuary makes sure that’s the case.

• wellfleet says:

I haven’t worked there in a year. That said, some employees find it helpful to ask “may I know why” because it helps them address customer objections. Customer objections are sometimes based on misunderstanding/misconception. I think it’s a perfectly valid, non-aggressive question that eventually helps a business tailor its offerings.
            Honest review is an honest rundown of what the plan covers and doesn’t cover. Yes, actuaries make sure that the price point vs. redemption works out generally in favor of the company, BUT, so does auto insurance and health insurance. It’s banking on the “what if”. I personally think it’s a good choice for many products. I am extremely clumsy. If it’s fragile and expensive, odds are I’m going to drop it. Plans on cameras, phones and iPods have paid for themselves many times over. I bought Apple Care on my Mac and I was glad to have it even though I never used it.
            Your opinion may work for you, I worked with enough customers for who the plans were a good idea. Your results may vary.

• jason in boston says:

As a shareholder of Abercrombie, I have been trying to get this guy out of office for years. He is such the creeper and ruined what used to be a good name (plastisol instead of real ink! rich kids aren’t going to pay for that shit) and actually have quality.

• mixmeupone says:

Being in a metrics driven position myself, I understand why Drew lost his job. He didn’t do it. He wasn’t fired for his failure to meet goal, he was fired for not doing the things to achieve that goal. As a MANAGER I’m sure he had people working for him. What steps did he take to ensure they were executing the job? Drew did a good enough job (achieving those same metrics) to get promoted, but did not have the abilities to get others to do them.

• hammond egger says:

You aren’t required to just offer, you are required to upsell. You could offer every single person who makes a purchase for a year but unless some of them buy something, you would end up with the exact same upsell numbers as someone who never offered at all and you would both probably not be working there any longer.

6. wrjohnston91283 says:

Drew did not lose his house because he refused to upsell. He lost his house because he didn’t pay his mortgage.

7. Watcher95 says:

Lost his house because of Gamestop?

Hyperbole much?

8. Harry Manback says:

If upsells make you uncomfortable, then I’m guessing a SALES job isn’t the best choice. I hated doing the upsell at Best Buy, but I was good at it because I was still honest with people and I knew what I was talking about. I also knew that after that summer job was over I didn’t want to work retail ever again.

• iesika says:

When I worked in retail, I never minded upselling – the part I didn’t like was scamming customers into buying something completely worthless. Pretty sure that was OP’s issue, too. If he were told “try to sell them on an inexpensive used game they might like based on the new game they’re buying” he probably wouldn’t have felt so sleazy.

9. Cicadymn says:

Just because you don’t like a portion of your job doesn’t mean you don’t have to do it.

10. davidc says:

“and lose my house” …

A retail clerk, working two jobs, owns a house. Really? How in the world did you afford the 20% down payment. Oh wait … how did you afford the 5% down payment. Oh wait … How did you afford the closing costs on your 0% down, 1st and 2nd mortgage to buy the house your about to lose?

I purposely don’t shop at gamestop because of prior bad experiences just walking through a store so no love lost there, but to blame them for your poor financial decisions is probably why your facing financial issues.

Seriously, we need to get back to the days where home ownership is for people that are not only fiscally responsible, but have the where-with-all to actually afford a home.

• Harry Manback says:

That’s making an awful lot of assumptions (even if many of them do turn out to be true).

• Shadowman615 says:

And the overall societal benefit to having less homeowners is…?

Don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater.

• chuckv says:

Allowing people who can’t afford houses to have them drives up prices for people who could actually afford them.

• Snapdragon says:

Some blame has to lie with the banks who permissively rubber-stamp these applicants. OK, a lot of blame. Don’t get me started on sub-prime mortgage predatory lenders…

• Emerson7 says:

Also look at the politicians who demanded lenders lower their qualifying ratios so more po’ folk could get homes. I think the end game on that was to simply give them the homes when it all fell to crap.

11. GamestopInsider says:

So they’ll publish this junk non-story and they won’t even post my Confessions of a Gamestop employee?

12. Andy says:

Hello Amazon.com and Steampowered.com

13. pop top says:

Phil, this is a ridiculous article, even for you. If you don’t do your job you get fired, end of story. I didn’t like doing the upselling when I worked there, but you know what? That was my job so I did it. You can upsell AND meet your customer’s satisfaction. I can’t believe that Drew would be so stupid as to think that his upselling days were over when he got promoted. You did that as part of your previous position, why would things change?

This article is a joke and I can’t believe that it’s on this website.

• wrjohnston91283 says:

Agreed, this is by FAR one of Phil’s worst articles. I mean, why don’t we make the title “My family froze to death because I refused to upsell and Gamestop kills babies”?

• MaxPower says:

He didn’t even get fired.. he quit. I mean… take responsibility for your choices.

• NF says:

I for one appreciate knowing about unethical corporate behavior. There a few knuckleheads on this site who are constant apologists for this type of behavior.

I like to know how corporation treat their employees and customers, and I’ll use my own measuring stick, thank you very much.

• Sumtron5000 says:

They wanted him to do his job, and he refused. He knew upselling was a part of Gamestop. It’s not like he tried and failed to meet the quotas- he never tried. So he quit. What did they company do wrong again?

14. Sword_Chucks says:

You wont sell me on a reservation or the edge card. I know what games I want to waste my money on, and Ill go make the reservation myself. Retail is the worst thing. it was expected that I get customers to fill out credit apps at the jewelry store where I worked. The problem was the traffic we got in the store was either non-existent or there because of an already established relationship that formed before I worked there. There were days when nobody entered the store. How am I supposed to get credit apps that way?

15. c!tizen says:

I am the [redacted] of a [redacted] location somewhere in the [redacted].

fixed.

16. lupis42 says:

“My point of this writing is not to receive your sympathy, but simply to give you some insight into the workings of the company.

“Sell Edge cards and Reservations or lose your job”.”

Seems like he understood the choice he was making. I will add that it’s that exact corporate attitude that keeps me away from both GameStop and BestBuy…

17. El_Fez says:

While I cant stand sugesstive selling (at least when I was in the McTrenches) and I wouldnt do it if I were in command – if you’re a Register Monkey, you gotta play by the rules. Bravo for having the scrot to walk away from the gig, tho.

18. sirwired says:

While it may be poor customer service to keep pushing this crap, it isn’t unethical. He was pushed out because he refused to meet a reasonable request from corporate to do something that they (correctly or incorrectly) believe will enhance profits.

In a business, customer satisfaction NEVER comes first; profits come before customer sat. While customer sat MAY improve profit, this is certainly not always the case. (See: Spirit Airlines, Ryanair, etc. Their customer service sucks, their profits are decent, and they are proud of it.)

He has nobody to blame for ending up with a lousy job and losing his house but himself.

• roguemarvel says:

I disagree, sometimes the stuff you are shilling can in fact help the customer. Being a former GS employee I have seen several situations where customers earned an additional $15-40 after getting an edge card.

Just because someone is trying to sell you somthing doesn’t mean its bad

19. minjche says:

“I was faced with a difficult decision; be demoted and lose hours and lose my house, or quit and lose my house.”

Or a third choice would be to upsell. It’s not desirable to the OP, but in the situation I’d put my house as a higher priority.

Here’s the choice I see:
    A)Upsell and follow Gamestop’s policies, keep my house and my job, lose a bit of dignity,
    B)Don’t upsell, and risk losing house/job.

That little bit of gained dignity doesn’t keep the rain off your head or food on the table.

Anyway I hope his new job is a better fit for him.

20. GraphicsGeek says:

Dear Consumerist,
    Why do you continue to post stories like this where someone is trying to blame someone else for their shortcomings? This is the problem with this country today; no one seems to want to take responsibility for their own actions. The person who wrote in CHOSE his job, CHOSE to accept his position and the job description, CHOSE to ignore it and CHOSE to face the consequences for not paying his mortgage. This is of no fault to GameStop. The person did not appreciate the fact the he simply HAD A JOB when millions of people are unemployed. He CHOSE to be stubborn and not do his job.

• Cicadymn says:

Personal Responsibility has become an Oxymoron.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

I’m reading, I’m reading, I’m reading, I’m reading, I’m reading….

Nope. I still don’t see where he actually blames GS for anything except creating an environment he chose not to work in. Nowhere does he say Gamestop is responsible for his problems- except in the summary, which the OP didn’t write.

21. Bladerunner says:

The real title of this post should be “I didn’t want to do my job, so I quit.”

He even says it in his post, that he quit rather than possibly be demoted. I also like how he says demotion or quitting were his only two options, not “work hard and bring the numbers up”.

I wish I could afford a house, but I can’t because it would be fiscally irresponsible of me until I have more savings. Perhaps you should have done the same.

22. billybob9280 says:

Worked the summer of 2001 at Best Buy. We had to upsell cell phone warranties/accessories and MSN Dial-up internet. I knew it wasn’t a right fit when the manager said I was too ethical to work there.

23. mexifelio says:

I guess there isn’t much that won’t make it as a story on consumerist.

On a side note, people complain about strict mortgage guide lines such as steady work history for at least 2 years and preferring someone be in the same line of work for around 5 years. This helps in the situation that if the borrower loses their job, they will have a better chance at getting a new one as quickly as possible. (Yes I know, this is not a guarantee that they will find work immediately).
    Another borrower complaint is having 3-6 months reserves of mortgage payments in the bank so that if someone does lose their job, they can continue to make mortgage payments while they find new work.
    When banks get lax on these guidelines and waive them, this is one of the types of situations that happen.

24. Black Bellamy says:

Does no one appreciate the sacrifice?

I don’t either. Let me decide if I want the card or not. Do your job and say your little speech.

25. Doubts42 says:

Same thing happened to me. I worked at a McDonalds but they wanted me to sell salt laden, fatty foods. I felt i was above this and refused to sell burgers and fries to the customers. At which point, with no justification or provocation, they fired me. Help me consumerist.

26. Outrun1986 says:

It always goes like this when I buy games:

No, I don’t want to buy the used game at gamestop, its probably overpriced, and by purchasing it I am just telling them they can easily sell more games to unsuspecting customers. Not that they won’t do tons of this already, but do I really want to support a company that keeps getting worse?

No, the new game is just as bad, developers and publishers are greedy, and they will do anything they can to kill the used games market, which means less cheaper games for me (and a lot of other gamers that rely on the used market). Killing the used market means that I would have no choice but to buy new games, even if I never buy used games at GS.

I think I will wait it out and buy the game on ebay or amazon, at least if I buy with amazon (if I absolutely have to have that new game) they aren’t as bad as gamestop, and if I buy from a small ebay seller or a certain video game forum I belong to I know the money is going to a private sale, into the hands of another gamer. Putting the money into the hands of another gamer, so they can afford to buy games they haven’t played yet, is the best option for me.

27. RTWinter says:

Headline should read “I didn’t do my job and my bosses didn’t like that”

Sorry to blame the OP, but you knew exactly what you were getting into beforehand.

28. James Sumners says:

“…how does GameStop’s upsell-happy culture affect your choice to shop there?”

Because of the way GameStop does business I refuse to shop there. Which is really annoying when games are released so that the only way to get all of the content (I’m looking at you Forza 3) is to “pre-order” specifically at GameStop.

29. ChilisServer says:

I have a job that also requires upselling – I’m a waitress. We can get written up if we don’t push certain items. Too many write-ups gets you fired.

I upsell when I feel like the table is receptive, but I too believe that the customer’s satisfaction comes first. If they want to be left alone, or seem annoyed, I will not badger them with a 4 minute spiel about what they should order for an additional charge.

Companies are desperately trying to increase traffic and profit in these hard times, but too often they end up alienating both employees and customers.

• ToddMU03 says:

So, you don’t want to give customers the “specials?” I don’t know, even if the server starts I politely decline. It isn’t a big deal.

• ChilisServer says:

We don’t have “specials” at Chili’s. I don’t want to insist that a table get a margarita just because my manager wants me to. Even if a table says they don’t drink or don’t want one, I’m supposed to ask three times. If someone says they don’t drink, why should I offend them by continuing to ask?

• AlphaLackey says:

I’m sorry, that is ludicrous that you are required to ask three times. Not saying you want to martyr your job for the greater good, but a well-leaked scan of that document would do a lot to blow away all that “we’re a fun place to eat / nine pieces of flair” attitude they seem to be erroneously spreading.

• ChilisServer says:

There is no document detailing that guideline, and I’m not sure it’s the case at every store. It’s all verbal, in any case, so I don’t think I could ever prove it. I even asked a manager the following: if the table is comprised of only an underage kid and a pregnant woman, am I still required to ask if they want a margarita? The answer was yes. Are you kidding me? In cases like that, I chose the route of common sense and mentioned the promotion but quickly added, “But I know you can’t take advantage of our promotion right now — maybe next time!” My manager didn’t like that very much, but he couldn’t really say much about it.

• RTWinter says:

I worked in a restaurant sometimes. If I like our server and I have the time, I’ll ask them if there’s any drinks or something that they have a quota for, and get one of those.

30. Alvis says:

He didn’t lose HIS house. The bank took ITS house back.

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

A lien is different from ownership. A lien allows for ownership by the bank if certain events transpire.

But it is not ownership. Representatives of the bank aren’t permitted to use the house for sleepovers, or sell it out from under the occupants. Now, they can sell the loan, but that’s different, because that’s what the bank actually owns.

• JJFIII says:

He didn’t lose his house. He knows where it is, he is just not allowed to live there anymore.

31. skapig says:

Sucks, but that’s how sales/retail generally works. Gamestop chooses to go with an aggressive upsell strategy that many find unappealing. As the commenters here demonstrate, they lose customers as a result. Enough people must be buying to make the effort worthwhile though.

You’d think with all of the competition on the Web, GS would wise up and try to offer superior customer service in the store to keep people coming back.

32. rayblasdel says:

Won’t touch the place. The manager at my local GameStop continually harassed me because I wouldn’t preorder or buy their crummy discount cards. And when I needed to replace a damaged game disk (new), he wouldn’t exchange it. I had to drive to a different GameStop two towns away to find a manager who would exchange it for me.

I haven’t been these since, and I’m perfectly happy ordering my games online. For what it’s worth that company should burn to the ground. They treat their employees like crap, and the customers worse.

33. common_sense84 says:

There is no story here, why was this published?

34. Extended-Warranty says:

Phil wasn’t forced out because of not high enough numbers, Phil was forced out because he REFUSED to do what was expected of him and felt that he should run things his way. Two completely different things.

This tells us something about your work ethic when the job after didn’t work out either.

• minjche says:

Phil is the editor at Consumerist who posted the story. The original story was submitted by a guy named Drew.

35. Spooky says:

I try to buy as little as i can from gamestop b/c i dont like being asked 30 times to join useless programs designed to take my money and give me little to nothing. Steam and amazon are my good friends. They don’t ask annoying questions and take my money for pointless programs.

36. Kanjimari says:

You seem to have missed the option of “Do my fucking job”

37. djkrztoff says:

I will only go into GameStop with my headphones on, and even then only rarely. I’d much prefer to shop online anyway.

38. g051051 says:

I never really liked GameStop since the big shift to selling primarily onsole games, but I’ve simply abandoned ever shopping at GameStop. If I don’t buy games from Steam, I get them at Best Buy of Fry’s. GameStop provides no value add at all to my game buying experience, the stores are tiny, the selection limited, and the sales force all using high pressure to get you to sign up for their “free” dreck. I had moved to shopping at Rhino Games, but they got bought by GameStop, and were immediately ruined.

I can’t shop at Play-N-Trade, since they won’t even sell to you without their “membership”.

I really miss Babbages.

39. Sorry4UrInconvenience says:

shame on gamestop for expecting its employees to meet goals and generate profits.

40. Penn20 says:

Lots of great stories on this site. Lots of dumb ones too.

41. Abradax says:

So translation of article title:

“Gamestop threatned to fire me for not doing my job”

Well….duh?

42. MaxPower says:

I’m into video games, good prices, and minimal upselling. I shop at Amazon.

43. kittytreats says:

Oh man, I used to work for Gamestop for a few years (it was called Software Etc. at that time). When it was Software Etc, they weren’t as harsh with selling reserves and magazine subscriptions. I ended up getting a full-time job so I quit Software Etc. 2 years later I wanted a part-time job so I stopped by Software Etc. turned Gamestop. All the old staff were gone! To make this short, I got fired because I wasn’t selling enough. I can’t really complain because I already knew about it. It’s sad how they operate. They break a lot of gamers hearts who become employees there *lol*

Amazon is a great place to buy games. I don’t step into Gamestop anymore because it’s a little over priced. You don’t have to worry about buying the last opened new game which is the display case. Employees are allowed to try out new games so they take home the new games then these get sold as new. We even took consoles home to try out. I chose a Dreamcast & Seaman.

44. westhinksdifferent says:

I don’t know why Consumerist would even post this story. GameStop PAYS you to do a job, which includes the upsells. So, why should they continue to pay you when you’re only doing a portion of your responsibilities? You knew your responsibilities prior to the management position–especially because he started off at the bottom, and they’re the ones who actually have to push the upsells.

If it comes down to you losing your job and in turn, not paying your mortgage because you’re too afraid to annoy a stranger with an upsell–an annoyance they probably forgot 10 minutes later–that’s your fault. I see nothing wrong with what GameStop did.

On the other hand, if foot traffic in the store was really low and you had no problem with upselling people when they did come in, that’s out of your control.

45. westhinksdifferent says:

46. kajillion123 says:

It’s pretty clear from these comments that people seem to really hate the working class for some reason.

• Abradax says:

I hate the working class who likes to define their own rules, then complain when the company they get paid to do a job for gets pissed because they refuse to do the job they are paid for.

47. Theslapshotkid says:

When you work in sales, you got to do what your boss does. not like its morally wrong

48. LightningUsagi says:

ie, either I don’t do my job and get fired, or quit because I don’t want to do my job.

49. initforthelulz says:

I used to work in the Baby section of a major retailer. Part of our “goal” was to upsell the hell out of customers. If they wanted crib A, but crib B was $75 more we were to push crib B. Same with strollers, car seats, high chairs… anything regardless of whether the higher priced item was more useful or beneficial to the customer.

I took the opposite approach. I sold people what they wanted or needed and gave honest and brutal reviews of products if asked. Sure some people wanted to throw money at things that were more expensive just because they could, but they were the minority.

My average sales were lower per transaction, but I had more return customers than anyone else. My goal was to build relationships for long term sales, than to wring someone for their entire budget, sell them crap and hope to never see them again.

If the OP has a similar approach in building more of a relationship with his customers than shoveling crap down their throat and having a negative impact on the sales experience, I do have some sympathy. But we don’t really get that much information.

But a job is a job, and in order to keep your job you need to do whats expected of you within the confines of conduction business ethically. If OP failed at that, I hope he enjoys Best Buy.

50. RvLeshrac says:

So, here’s th deal: Every single person on this page who wants to blame the OP is no longer ever allowed to complain, bitch, moan, or whine about ANY upsell on *ANY* product, for the rest of their lives.

And then I’ll take you seriously.

Deal?

• RvLeshrac says:

And, of course, I wonder if all the “Do your job and stop complaining” people feel the same about all the mortgage-bankers who were forging contracts and signatures. Because, you know, that was the way they were ordered to do their jobs.

• Abradax says:

I don’t complain about any upsell, they are doing their job. It is no hassle to me to tell them no.

And on your next point, what an idiotic point. There is a BIG difference between asking someone if they want an Edge card and breaking the law.

• KrispyKrink says:

Not really. He can offer all the damn cards in the world. The fact is, if he made a million dollars in sales but if every customer refused the card, he’d get shit canned.

51. retailriter says:

The higher ups at these companies make you push this stuff because they make a lot of profit selling the information they capture when you sign up for these cards. (If THEY had to do the obnoxious pushing on customers themselves, it would not be a requirement. But it’s easy to hand out these directives from the “board room”.)

Unfortunately, it is a turn-off to most customers, resulting in less customers in your store shopping for merchandise, so sales go down.

It’s a no-win situation if you are in retail-management – and it is happening at a lot more places than Game Stop.

It’s getting absolutely ridiculous. Customer service takes second seat to these upseeling “goals”, unfortunately.

52. MrEvil says:

Oddly enough, I got fired from Best Buy for the same reason. However they didn’t do it in that many words, they found some fuck-ups another tech had made that he didn’t sign and then pinned them on me.

I’m hoping Karma is getting back at that asshole manager for me.

53. Piddles says:

I must have beat out the new initiative. The last two trips I made to a Game Stop were memorable because I wasn’t pitched 5 up-sells. I bought my item and left. It was amazing. In fact they were the only people in town that had what I needed. I would also suggest getting out of retail. If you stick around long enough, everybody you worked with will be gone.

54. sopmodm14 says:

if those whiz heads at corporate are so smart, have them run the damn stores

i’ll bet if all store managers walk-out on the company, lets see them recover from that

i think its funny that the numbers equate to worth for the company, yet those executives haven’t sold any edge cards them damn selves

same goes with all retail corporate execs

• minjche says:

And how is your international store chain going?

I ask because you really don’t sound like you have any idea how to run a business. This upselling policy used by Gamestop isn’t attractive, but they still have a global store with almost 50,000 employees at 6,500 locations and over $9 billion in sales.

And what have you got? As far as I can tell all you’ve got is a crappy attitude and a broken SHIFT key.

55. EcPercy says:

Hum lets see… You didn’t do what you were told by your employer and now you don’t have a job. Sounds like it’s your fault.

You have to play politics no matter where you work. Sounds like it’s a hard lesson to learn since you already lost your new job.

56. Good43 says:

I am disappointed that the Consumerist would post an article like this. It seems more like trying to pile on the easy target of Game Stop rather than providing me with any insight on consumer issues. Unless the lesson is “careful, if you don’t do your job you will get fired”.

57. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Oh no, do your job or be fired. How crazy of them to have expectations of their employees.

58. The_IT_Crone says:

Well, it’s the nature of retail. Apple does the same thing. It drove me crazy that Apple cared more about the upsell than about the customer, but I’m starting to see that it’s the same way everywhere. It doesn’t make it RIGHT anywhere, but not particularly surprising, either.

59. MacBenah says:

So… He knew the company rules, he willingly signed on, he didn’t cooperate (doesn’t matter the rules suck – they weren’t concealed from him), they dumped him. So what?

60. BanzaiBrittany says:

I used to work at Gamestop…I didn’t care enough about annoying people to stand for losing my job. Sorry, bills and roof come first for me.

The “upsell-happy” thing doesn’t bother me. You go in the same store often enough, and the people working there get to know that you don’t want something. If it’s at a store where they don’t know me, I won’t explode just from waiting from them to give a 1 minute spiel and for me to say “No thanks.” I almost never buy games new cause the used game return policy is much better, and I usually wait until the used prices drops to $30 or less, so…no problems for me.

• AlphaLackey says:

If saying “no thanks” actually ended the upsell attempt, there wouldn’t be so much free-floating rage towards GameStop.

Just because YOU stopped there doesn’t mean that all GameStop jockeys stop there.

61. poco says:

This article should be retitled “Gamestop fired me for not doing my job”. Then it should be taken down. Millions of people have sales quotas, it’s part of retail.

62. eleemosynarify says:

I’ll be the next to say this is a ridiculous post. That’s corporate life dude. You worked for a corporation, and corporations sell discount/charge/membership cards, and you have to sell a certain amount to be worth keeping. Does it suck sometimes? Yeah. I’m a lower-wage associate for my second corporate job now. But I’m not going to whine on Consumerist if I lose my job because I didn’t meet quotas.

63. KrispyKrink says:

This is why I do not shop at stores that force their employees to up-sell crap like this.

In the early 90’s I was an assistant manager for an electronics store, I wont name them. The place was a revolving door for sales associates because no matter how skilled, CS orientated, and knowledgeable they were, if they did not tack on a certain amount of warranty sales, they were fired.

After being there for 6 months the district manager came in and fired the entire staff from manager and down, everyone. Why? Because for a full week every customer that came in flat out refused all up-sells.

64. privax says:

As what others have pretty much already mentioned… You worked in a sales position. You didn’t meet the sales numbers set by your management.

As being a consumer I cannot stand being upselled and offered additional things — I make most of my purchases online because of this.

65. stuny says:

Is this Consumerist or Employerist? Are we now posting job complaints here? If so, I got a few.

As a teenager, I worked at a car dealership and my boss asked me why I didn’t paint he fence as he had instructed and I told him that it was about to rain. He insisted, so I painted the fence, it rained, and all the paint washed through the parking lot in a beautiful white deluge. The paint river was still visible in the parking lot a decade later.

I had another boss who forbade me the unnecessary use of bold fonts in internal documents.

The point being, jobs often ask us to do things we don’t want to do. But our continued employment depends on us doing as we are told.

But at least now I get to share this BOLD story with everyone.

66. BBP says:

Moving on to “Geek Squad” is a step back.

But yeah, pretty much what everyone else says – you weren’t happy doing what was expected of you, so why is this even here? It was part of your job and you simply didn’t want to do it. To top it off, you come here to complain about it and make them look like the bad guys…

All of that presell, reservation crap is bull, I will agree, but it’s part of their job description and you agreed to it, plain and simple.

67. dush says:

In other news a local santiation engineer refuses to pick up the really nasty trash and gets fired.

68. narcs says:

“Game Advisor” thats about as laughable as “Apple Genius”. When will people learn that there are other means to get your games other than Gamestop?

Seems like all the Gamestop hassle occurs only in the US. Its still EB Games here (with the exception of a few newer Gamestop stores) but there is no Membership or No sale here, they do still ask if you have edge card and how it benefits you if you don’t. They’ll still try to sell you the protection for a year but thats pretty much the extent of the harassment in canadian stores.

69. invisibelle says:

I worked at GameStop for a few years during college (and in the corporate office after college, but i digress) and got threatened at least like 6 times about my numbers being too low. Just ignore it, haha. It takes them forever to do anything about it.

70. pyrobryan says:

So you refused to do your job and opted to quit instead, and somehow this is the company’s fault? Personally, I hated upselling when I worked in retail, but it was part of the job so I did it. I wasn’t good at it because I knew that extended warranties were a waste of money. How can I be expected to sell something that I wouldn’t buy? Yet, I offered these programs to all of my customers, explained them to those who were interested, and sold them to those who wanted them. I didn’t lie or obfuscate. I just offered them for what they were, and I slept fine at night knowing that I hadn’t cheated anyone out of their money. More importantly, I took “no” for an answer. Just offer it if it’s part of your job. If the customer doesn’t want it, leave it at that.

71. FlashFlashCarCrash says:

So you were fired for not doing your job?

that’s crazy.

72. Chaosium says:

“If you’re into video games, how does GameStop’s upsell-happy culture affect your choice to shop there?”

Absolutely. I’ll occasionally scrounge through the used titles, but I can’t stand the upsell. I’d rather deal with online shops.

73. WickedCrispy says:

I got my hours cut to 4 per week. That’s right, 4 per week, as a Senior Game Advisor, in charge of opening and closing and bank drops, aka manager, all because I didn’t sell enough Edge cards or reserves. When I still didn’t quit due to lack of hours, they said I shoved my boss so they could fire me and I couldn’t collect unemployment.

74. WickedCrispy says:

What I want to know is how Gamestop can enforce these policies without giving compensation in the form of commission?

• ashtear says:

I worked for the company for four years, and never had great numbers. But, I made an effort, and that was enough until the end.

Yeah, the upselling sucks, but at least it wasn’t terribly hard to sell game reservations. The Edge cards themselves aren’t necessarily a hard sell, but once I told the average customer that I needed their address for the magazine (a required part of the deal), they would back out. Sometimes literally. People don’t like giving out their personal info, and I don’t blame them.

75. Kuri says:

For all the horror stories and stories of aggressive salespeople or customers getting badgered for these cards or for pre-orders, I have NEVER personally encountered any of this. The worst I get is being asked if I want to pay extra for a warranty.

I’m not saying these things don’t happen, just saying it doesn’t seem as widespread as people claim, and many seem to blast the entire company for one or two bad experiences.

76. Admiral_John says:

When I worked at Radio Shack I was expected to sell a certain percentage of extended warranties on the crap I sold. This was a condition of my job. I didn’t like it and would never buy an extended warranty but I still sold them.

When I worked at Sears I was expected to sell a certain percentage of extended warranties on the crap I sold. This was a condition of my job. I didn’t like it and would never buy an extended warranty but I still sold them.

You may not like it, but it’s part of your job. If you choose to quit rather than up-sell that’s fine, but the consequences of that are yours and yours alone.

77. Talmonis says:

I can see where he comes from for sure. I sold tires for Wally World in my past for 6 years. Nobody in our district (which included a large swathe of demographics; City, Suburb, Sub-rural & Rural) could come close to my numbers. I was in a rural area, so 90% of my business was repeat business. My sales tactics would only involve things that the customer needed, or might have wanted. Simple things like “how are the tires treating you?” went a long way. Even moreso, telling them (or better yet, showing them!) when they didn’t need something that they were out to purchase and saving them money almost always created repeat customers.

Then, some time around year 5, we got a new district manager, and new policies to go with him. Policies like giving a full speech to every customer about why they need new wiper blades, air filters and fuel system cleanings. Let’s just put it this way, if you start giving a speech to an old farmer, who is only in to have his tire fixed and leave, he will get angry. Repeat this issue with a good 70% or so of my customer base. So I refused to give the little speech.

Shock and amazement, my sales numbers were untouched, while the rest of the shop’s plummeted. Meanwhile, I was hammered weekly for “secret shoppers” looking for the speech. I got a nice monthly chat with the DM for such a disgression, in which I calmly showed a full spreadsheet on how my numbers were just plain better, confounding and angering little napoleon, but insulating me from his wrath (my regional manager was a results man). I stayed on for a further year, until I finally had enough of the little napoleon and his terrible mandated speeches.

Now, when I visit the old store from time to time, I see very few people in the shop…when it used to be hopping. Forced upsells are bad for business. Organic sales are the true way to go. Sadly, corporations refuse to pursue it.

78. xamarshahx says:

wait, wait… he didn’t do his job and is now complaining for being fired for not doing his job? why is this even posted? I worked at Best Buy as a kid, I didn’t like all the upselling, but I did it because it was my job! it’s not like they asked him to steal money (well sorta).

79. huey9k says:

Gamestop sucks donkey cock. They devalue their employees, and their customers. I refuse to shop there.

80. LastError says:

“You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.”

81. Dyscord says:

You know, the two Gamestops in my area must be the exception, because I’m never harassed there. I walk in, they ask if I need help with something, I say no (or yes if I do), they leave me alone (or help) and that’s that.

82. dwtomek says:

I for one applaud this man. Upsells are one of the two reasons I do not and will not shop at Gamestop.

83. JJFIII says:

So you were hired to do a job which included upselling, and you refused to do it. Good for Game Stop. They were not telling you to trick people, lie, steal or use their credit cards illegally. If you can not sell, then it is obvious you should not be in a sales position (retail clerks and manager are sales people). Would you write this same letter if you were hired as a manager and part of the job was filling out HR forms, but you thought the forms were ridiculous and a waste of time, so YOU unilaterally made the decision to not fill them out.
    If you felt upselling was wrong, you could always show EVIDENCE that it makes for less profits and fewer customers. THAT is how you change things.

84. k1b8sn1 says:

THIS JUST IN!!! Retail establishment expects it’s employees to make as much money for them as possible! What has this world become?!

Next thing you know, the retail establishments will fire people who can’t make quotas and hire those that can. bastards.

85. chargernj says:

At no point do I see the OP complaining about how he was treated, why then is everybody giving him a hard time about this? It’s like you’re all mad at him because he gave us a peek into what it’s like to work for Gamestop and you mistook it for bitching about it.

86. Nyxalinth says:

The people here telling him “Well what did you expect, not doing your job and all?” would be the first to whine and cry when someone tries to upsell them, I’m sure.