AT&T Won't Give My iPhone, Microcell Service, Nor Let Me Out Of Contract (Updated)

UPDATE: Courtney said AT&T let her out of her contract without having to pay an early termination fee after seeing this post.

Courtney can’t get service for her new iPhone 4 at her house, and no matter what hoops AT&T had her jump through, including ordering a cover and MicroCell service extender, she’s stuck with a useless-at-home brick and an expensive contract.

AT&T said she has to pay an early termination fee to break free.

Here’s her story, picking up from where she tried the cover:

I ordered a cell phone cover and waited a week after I received the cover to see if it helped at all. Unfortunately, it didn’t help the service of the phone at all. I then called the store again and they suggested that I look into purchasing one of their products called the 3G MicroCell.

This MicroCell is supposed to plug into your internet and make your house like a cell phone tower, so you can get better service at my house. I then called the AT&T customer service number and talked to two people about purchasing the MicroCell. The first person I spoke to assured me that the MicroCell would work in my area and that I could get a rebate for the item without subscribing to any other monthly fees. I had to call back later to ask what rebate it was so I could print it off and fill it out when I went to buy the MicroCell. I was told which website to view to see all of the rebates, and was again told that I could get a rebate without subscribing to any other monthly fees.

I waited another week until I got paid and then I went and purchased a 3G MicroCell. The MicroCell was $150 without tax or any other monthly fees. They employees at the store kept trying to register the MicroCell online so when I got home I could just plug it in and it would be working. They kept getting an error message that the MicroCell wasn’t supported in my area. They then called the customer service, after asking 5 times for my information over and over again, to see what the problem was. I spent 2 hours in the store, for something that could have taken 30 minutes at the most. They assured me that if I went home and called the customer service to set it up myself, that it would work. I did so, and as soon as I told the customer service representative what the problem was, he informed me that the MicroCell wasn’t going to work in my house.

Of course, I was very upset because I had been reassured again and again that it would work. Not only this, but when I was in the store, I was told that I could NOT get a rebate without paying more monthly fees. Like $100 a month for a phone isn’t enough of a pain. I’ve had my phone and contract for around 2 1/2 months. Apparently, I’m over the 30 day trial and can not void out my contract without having to pay $300, not to mention the fees I’d have to pay to start a new contract else where and to purchase a new phone. I’ve argued with store employees and customer representatives and no one will void out my contract for free when it isn’t my fault that I’m over the 30 day period. I was told by AT&T employees to wait and try things, things that didn’t work, and now I’m going to have to stick with this service that doesn’t have any reception in my house. I have to go outside to talk on the phone, and it’s going to get cold soon.

If you’ve managed to escape a bad cell phone contract without paying an early termination fee, let us know how you pulled it off.

Previously: 6 Ways To Cancel Any Cellphone So You Can Get An iPhone

Comments

1. common_sense84 says:

Civil court case is your only option here.

You will easily win the right to return everything and get all your money back.

• mdoneil says:

I have to agree. Dealing with idiots and clerks is pointless. SImply sue them.

• nallanos says:

you won’t win in civil court. This is your own fault for not taking care of it in the first 30 days. Read your contract and customer service summary, I says you understand that not all places in the coverage map have coverage (no guarantee).

2. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

Did OP live in this location when she purchased the phone and plan? If not, then she should be able to get out of the contract ETF free, in my experience and that of several of my acquaintances. However, if she lived there and did not report the problem within those 30 days, then she may be stuck with a useless phone.

I have an iPhone and when I discovered that I didn’t have any reception in my apartment, I contacted AT&T immediately and was given the option of returning the phone and plan at no penalty, but that there was nothing they could do about the reception. I chose to keep the phone (I love my iPhone, I admit it), and it worked out as I’ve since moved to a better reception area. Unfortunately, failure to report issues like this immediately can result in a consumer having to take the fall.

Also, there’s an app for the iPhone that allows you to report reception issues to AT&T. I use it whenever I’m having an issue and I have noticed a change in certain areas that I’ve reported for poor coverage multiple times. It seems that they may be listening.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Issue a BBB complaint. If that is not resolved appropriately, issue a charge-back. Or, file a small claims court case.

• Brian Cooks says:

You’re usually out of luck on a charge back after 30-60 days. It depends on your card. It can’t hurt to call and ask though.

• mdoneil says:

The BBB is completely useless in my opinion. They are funded by the businesses they ‘regulate’.

• JGB says:

True that. The BBB doesn’t care what a company does as long as they pay the fees. I found that out when I tried to report a mover that personified every ‘bad mover’ story you ever heard. The mover told the BBB that everything was fine and that was good enough for them

• Extractor says:

Ive filed 2 complaints with the BBB over the past 25 years. In 84 GM was ordered to Buy Back a Pontiac firebird thru arbitration. I paid 10k and 3 years later I was refunded 9500, during which time I had full use of the vehicle.
          And the other case was resolved in my favor less than 5 hours after I filed the complaint.
          If you handle your complaint in the proper manner, the BBB is an excellent route to go.

• Johann says:

I’ve only filed a BBB complaint once, and it was against a smaller company, but they immediately resolved the issue after they were notified of the complaint (whereas they’d been stonewalling me for weeks beforehand.) Just saying.

4. wrjohnston91283 says:

Should have returned the phone within 30 days.

• sfldan says:

Wow. Great, snarky reply. Too bad you didn’t take the time to read what she said.

• Big Mama Pain says:

It’s true though! Thirty days is plenty of time to ascertain whether the service was right for her or not. The line “apparently I am over the 30 day return…” is a clue that she probably didn’t even know there was a 30 day warranty. She waited over a month to even report the problem (if the time line of getting the cover and waiting a week, then waiting a week to get paid to buy the microcell is accurate), so trying to pull some crap about it not being her fault that she was beyond the 30 days is just plain false. I think this is a case of having to pay an idiot tax, we’ve all been there, and it sucks-live and learn.

• jefeloco says:

You pretty much said what I was thinking, she lists a time line of events that covers 2 weeks that end with ownership of about 2.5 months. She had the phone for well over 45 days before seeking a solution, this isn’t At&t’s problem anymore.

Even if she lived in CA (with their 60 day state mandated remorse window) she would be hosed. I do apologize to the OP, but this qualifies as a life lesson to me.

5. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

If the online service map shows coverage at your house, call the FCC. I did this to Sprint years ago because calls kept getting dropped despite solid coverage according to their maps. They weren’t very interested in helping me until after I contacted the FCC, and then suddenly they had a real person call me back and they gave me new phones for free. (This was a family plan, and the new phones did have much better reception.)

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

(Yes, I realize new phones probably won’t help her, but my point was that the FCC takes that specific kind of misrepresentation seriously, and they can make the carriers much more responsive.)

• nallanos says:

you are wrong. You don’t have any guaranteed coverage within the map. They did exchanged your phones as a courtesy but it’s not required.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

So wait, are you saying that Sprint just spontaneously offered me the new phones out of the goodness of their hearts, and the fact that it followed the FCC complaint was a happy coincidence?

6. Caveat Emptor! says:

No sympathy. 30 days is a long time to figure out your phone doesn’t work at home.

• uberbitter says:

The company kept having her try things which took time to troubleshoot, order, receive, and test, which made the process longer than 30 days. I don’t think she cares about your sympathy anyway, just her money.

• Caveat Emptor! says:

Yes, you are uberbitter. I thought every consumer writing to the Consumerist was here for sympathy. Hmmm…?

• jtheletter says:

You still failed to respond to uberbitter’s very valid point that the AT&T reps and their suggested troubleshooting are what took the OP over the 30 day period. We have read plenty of stories on Consumerist where companies have displayed this strategy to stretch troubleshooting past warranty windows to trap the customer. Why is this any different?

But I’m sure you’ll just make a snarky comment about my user name and avoid the point entirely.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Well, AT&T has the IPhone and they are Gods, so they are immune from being decent. Didn’t you know that?

7. productfred says:

Normally, if you have no service in your area, that’s enough to get you out of a contract. However, AT&T will likely counter that argument by saying that there is service in your area, whether or not the signal penetrates the walls of your home. I never understood how someone can’t have Microcell service in their area.

I switched to Sprint from AT&T both because of the pricing and the customer service. For whatever reason, T-Mobile and Sprint signal doesn’t reach the inside of my home (AT&T and Verizon are perfect though). I called them up and explained my issue and they sent me an Airave for free (the Sprint microcell).

You can pay the ETF, then sell off the iPhone 4. Off contract, it can sell for $600-$800 depending on what capacity it is.

8. blacknoi says:

If you can’t get out of the contract, pay the ETF, and ebay the phone. You’ll be close to a net zero and only be out the time and effort it took to throw the phone on ebay. Apple products have an EXCELLENT resale value.

Jailbreak and unlock it too with the latest tools like limera1n or greenpois0n to increase the value even more.

• dragonfire81 says:

The only problem with that is cell phone sales on ebay are fraud city.

• pz says:

I don’t see how — I’ve sold nearly half a dozen phones on Ebay, all without any problems. Just make sure you’re only selling them in the US or Canada, and you’re fine.

9. Macgyver says:

If you buy a phone, and it doesn’t work, return it within the return window. If you wait, it’s nobody’s fault but your own.
    People known since day one that the iphone reception sucks. But yet, people still buy it and then complain about it.
    You shouldn’t need a third party accessory to get reception.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I agree up to the last sentence. Some homes simply don’t penetrate well. While the majority of homes shouldn’t have this issue, larger building such as apartmet complexes may need a boost.

• thor79 says:

This is true…my apartment has the same issue, though I have a bit better coverage. Most of the time I have one bar in my apartment, whereas outside I have 5 bars. I get dropped calls a lot. I tried to get a free Microcell based on that but couldn’t convince the manager to give it to me. And since I can’t afford a Microcell, I’m stuck with crappy coverage in my home until I can afford it.

• jason in boston says:

Don’t forget older (pre 1900) homes. They have plaster that acts as a faraday cage.

• jefeloco says:

“Some homes simply don’t penetrate well”

I hate it when my home tries to penetrate others’ walls, it’s so embarrassing…

10. muralivp says:

Not providing the service in the contract is also a breach of contract. So small claims court?

11. VA_White says:

My iPhone hasn’t been ringing for two days and AT&T only tells me “network engineers are looking into it.” I pay a zillion dollars a month for cell service and my phone will not ring or send text messages.

• Macgyver says:

So you automatically blame ATT, and not Apple.
      I used to think that it was ATT fault, until this whole “antenna gate” problem, now I really think the problem lies with Apple, not ATT.

• TyLeR_v2 says:

What job do you have that makes a zillion dollars? I need that job.

• v0rt says:

I suspect you’ve already tried this, but I’ve had friends who had this very problem on AT&T after having not restarted their phone for months. Electronics can get very wonky if they haven’t been rebooted for a while.

• VA_White says:

No, he confirmed that it’s everyone on our switch or whatever. None of the phones on our family plan (four of them) will ring or receive text messages. It’s incredibly annoying. He said that our switch (in Texas) is affected and they also have some people affected in New York on another switch.

12. productfred says:

Well considering most of these iPhone issues don’t exist in other countries, yes, it is AT&T’s fault. I’m no iPhone fanboy. I’ve owned the first iPhone and now an HTC Evo on Sprint. Touching the antenna aside, AT&T is an extremely crowded network with a lot of problems. Yes, they’re trying to improve but in the long run, the service hasn’t been great. The amount of signal you have is not an indicator of the quality of service you’re getting.

13. productfred says:

14. ElleAnn says:

I got out of a 2 year contract once by telling the company that I was moving out of the country. Of course, I was actually moving out of the country…. but maybe it would work for you.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

But if the OP wants to port her number to another carrier, AT&T would realize that she wasn’t actually leaving the country.

15. TyLeR_v2 says:

The customer is completely at fault here. She was given 30 days to evaluate the phone and service. If she wasn’t able to determine that it didn’t work at her house for 30 days then she should just shut up and realize her stupidity. If she moved to this location after the 30 day trial period, she should have used coverage viewer to determine if she would have service. I think all she was interested in was the “eye”phone.

• somegraphx says:

This really is a blame the consumer crowd here. It SAYS she was working with AT&T and they kept telling her to wait and order new things. They were stretching it out so they’d lock her into her contract.

I had Verizon do the same thing with my phone. In my 30 window, my battery continually died and they kept telling me to do different things to make it work (it was too hot, too cold, let it totally drain, let it charge for 3 days, etc.). Then, after my 30 days were up, it said my phone was faulty and outside of the exchange period and that I needed to buy a new one.

I totally believe they jerked her along until it was too late.

16. MaytagRepairman says:

I bought a Microcell recently. The people you dealt with don’t know squat. A few things:

(1) It has to be registered with your home address. It acquires your location through GPS and compares it with the address you register with on AT&T’s web site to verify your location for 911 purposes. If the two don’t match up, then it fails. This process also takes about 10-20 minutes so it could be mistaken for not working. If the device isn’t close enough to a window and can’t get GPS signal then it fails. You can log into your account to verify the address it is registered at. There is a light on the box that indicates if GPS is being received.

(2) Your phone number has to be registered or it fails. It only allows the phone numbers you specify. You can log into your account to verify the phone numbers registered.

(3) It really says on AT&T’s web site that you can only get the rebate if you pay the monthly fee for unlimited blah blah blah through the microcell. I declined and paid the full price. I am guessing the employees at the store didn’t get proper training. They should have known that.

• lemortede says:

What the Monthly is is a $20 charge that allows you to have unlimited minutes while you are using the Micro cell. You are NOT locked into a contract with it. I signed up for the unlimited minutes, waited until I got my rebate, stockpiled some roll over minutes then canceled it as soon as the rebate arrived.
      Now, back to the Micro cell, I have had mixed feelings with it since the last Iphone OS update. My ppone is jailbroken and my wifes is not. We both have trouble making calls when connected to the Micro cell some times. Prior to the 4.1 IOS it was great, now……not so much.

• hypochondriac says:

So your not getting a cellphone signal, but the microcell is supposed to get a GPS signal? Maybe my garmin is just obsolete but I’ve never gotten a gps signal indoors

• MaytagRepairman says:

I was worried about the GPS. The instructions with it said it should be within 3 feet of a window to receive the GPS.

17. neilb says:

I had a bunch of issues with AT&T while trying to do the same thing with iPhone4s.

-No company is to be trusted past the 30 days. If the service is poor, then take the phone back and get a different one (restarting the 30 days–be sure to get this caveat noted on your account and have them read it back to you). AT&T will issue credit for things that they did not make right if they are noted.

I determined that AT&T was incapable and unwilling to resolve the 70% dropped call rate that my wife and I were getting with our iPhone4s. I jumped through the hoop of trying out a different phone and then they let me out of an existing contract (the iPhone4s were an early upgrade) a few months early. We had so many caveats on our account that such bad service that AT&T was undesirable to us.

Then I did the below (call retention, explain the situation).
    1) “What would you do if you were in my situation?”
    2) “I think it is reasonable to expect to make calls reliably, and I think I have taken all reasonable actions suggested by AT&T to do so. What else can you suggest?”
    3) “I know AT&T wants to do so, but every wireless company cannot provide every person service. It might make sense for AT&T to label my case as such and let it go.”
    #1 and #2 encourage the rep to do his/her job…if s/he cannot help, then use #3.

Sprint, for as bureaucratic as it has been, seems to allow me to tell them how to provide me with mutually-beneficial service (most of their reps do an exceptionally poor job of helping if left to their own judgment). I now have a free (purchase and service) femtocell that generally works most of the time. We have simple (no more limits/overages to worry about) and reliable service on our Evos.

18. muenginerd says:

If you just started a contract and service never worked right you are pretty much stuck. Sorry but it is your fault for not closing this out in the 30 day window.

However, I was in a very similar situation. Had AT&T for 4+ years in my current location, storm came through knocked out our tower. AT&T replaced a tower but the new one was pointed in a direction that did not cover our house. AT&T wanted me to buy a Microcell but thankfully the store employees agreed with my issues and gave it to me for free.

What I learned:
    -AT&T phone support have no real interest in helping you, they were completely unresponsive to me and hung up on their own store employee 3 times. Go to your local store and plead your case with your local rep.
    -I found out after getting escalated to a certain level they will open a ticket for your exact address and send a tech to check the signal strength at your home. Now this is outside in your yard and infront on your door. They do not necessarily check within your house.
    -If you can prove that service was fine when you signed your contract and now they are not providing service in your main residence (which was my case) AT&T is required to release you from your contract.

Sadly it sounds as though you didn’t have established service before the new Iphone. I agree with others, ebay the phone. It should cover phone and ETF fees.

19. thehammer says:

Ok, legally AT&T has to let you out of your contract if you can’t get service at your house. One option is to call their corporate office and tell them what is going on and that you would like to be let out of your contract early. Number for their corporate office is 404-236-6000. When you call explain everything to them and try to be nice, they are regular people just like me and you.

Another option is to sell your phone and use the money to cover the early termination fee. You can sell the phone on eBay or craigslist for around $500+ (I am assuming you have an iPhone 4).

Your last option which would be to fake your own death and have a “relative” call in to AT&T absolutely hysterical about your death and get it canceled for you. They might want a death certificate but if the person calling is obviously distraught they probably wont even ask. If they do have the person pretend to fax it in several times and become even more hysterical because the fax just won’t go through.

You still have lots of options, personally I would fake my own death. It could be embarrassing down the road if you try to get another account with AT&T and they have you listed as dead, but I think the reward outweighs the risk.

20. muenginerd says:

What I learned:

21. Span_Wolf says:

I had the same thing happen to me. I moved to a location with bad service and Verizon told me to pound sand. I asked them if they were essentially telling me to either pay for bad service or pay even more to escape bad service, and the rep actually said, “Well if that’s the way you want to put it, yes.”

I spent months fighting them and going nowhere with rude reps that flat out told me I wasn’t going to get what I wanted. I eventually filed with the BBC, threatened to call my State Attorney General, but what finally did it was an email to the VP of customer service. A little while after sending that email I got a phone call from his assistant saying he read the email, I was in a location proven to have bad coverage, and that I would be let out of my contract without an ETF.

22. Hi_Hello says:

i’m guessing 100/month for the phone wasn’t enough pain that you went through all this.
    Next time, if it doesn’t work on the first day and the problem takes more than a few minutes to resolved, cancel and return everything.

but like blacknoi said, cancel, pay the etf, and ebay the phone. should help you recover.. it’s 300 vs 2400 for 2 years of no service… it’s up to you.

I would cancel first and then email the higher up and see if I can get a refund.

23. yesohyes22 says:

i did the same thing. i took them to small claims court. they settled out of court.

24. davidsco says:

I have a VERY hard time feeling bad for fools and their money. You bought an Ipudphone as an early adapter because you’re not smart enough not to follow the herd. This DESPITE the fact that it’s overpriced, restrictive and comes tethered with the second worst Cell service in the country. You were even STUPIDER enough to spend ANOTHER $150 to get the thing to do what it’s supposed to do. Sorry, don’t feel sorry for you. You have now have an Ipud Touch. Enjoy

• MamaBug says:

wow, judgmental much? it’s her damn choice what phone or provider she prefers. I’m pretty sure she didn’t submit the story to solicit your pissy opinion about Apple.
      Try adding something constructive to the conversation. Something like, “Maybe if you called your AG, filed a complain with the BBB, this might help you resolve you problem.” or “I went through a similar problem, and i just ate the ETF fee because it wasn’t worth the headache.”
      Sorry you hate Apple, or anything different from what *you* like.

• XTC46 says:

The iPhone is a great phone, and is only restrictive for people who want to do more than it provides. Not everyone wants or needs 10000 apps, tethering, or a number of other things that can be done once unlocked or jail broken.

In most places, the phone works great (I have one and hae no problems at all)

So feel free to have your opinion (and trust me, its an opinion not a fact), but dont be a dick.

Also, “over priced” is highly relative. 300 for a phone that does everything I want is not over priced. Markets set prices, and the market obviously thinks it is a fair price.

25. KrispyKrink says:

You’ve got 30 days, the fact that it’s been over 30 days is your own fault. It only takes a few minutes to take a phone home to see if you actually have coverage. You should have taken it back that very same day. Yeah, they stalled you to keep you baited. That’s your problem for not seeing it for what it was. Enjoy the iBrick.

26. lettucefactory says:

No worries, I love the image of concerned British television personalities coming to your aid.

27. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

She should have returned the phone the minute she saw you didn’t get good reception. Trying to make things work usually never works. It’s like trying to put those heel pads in shoes that rub blisters on your feet. You end up paying extra money and they scrunch, up fall out, and leave you pissed that you let the salesman talk you into it. If it doesn’t work the way it should straight out of the box, forget about it. Take it back.

28. thatsiebguy says:

It’s easy to blame the OP for waiting past 30 days, but I think the problem here was ATT kept pushing solutions. 1. They had to wait to get a case from ATT. 2. Had to wait to get the Microcell. There’s easily three weeks right there working with ATT to figure out a solution. Granted, they still should have thrown their hands up and taken everything back on the 29th day, but still. I’d double check the contract to see if there was a clause to get out of the ETF if ATT failed to provide the service you signed up for considering they say you can’t even use your Microcell in the area.

All else fails, call your CC and dispute the charges until you work something out with ATT or pull the sim and sell the phone and microcell on ebay and use that to pay the ETF.

29. Ben_Q2 says:

It was easy for me. My plan was 450 mins. I would roll over 440 mins each month. Plus over 3 years I was given 20 month’s free. I also has the plan since 99 it was not till I moved into my home that it would not work. They give me a problem in the end I told them they really should talk to their lawyers. If this went to court the Judge would rule in my favor (you do not give someone 20 months free out of 37).

30. mikells43 says:

haha thats why they have the 30 days. if u cant decide in 30 days that it dont work in ur home or it dont meet ur standards then TAKE IT BACK!!! and att sucks, once vzw gets the iphone att will die i think….

31. icy_one says:

First, return the microcell for a full refund.

Second, start an EECB. Specifically, mention how much you currently pay per month, how much your ETF is (mine drops $5 for every month into my contract) and how much a microcell is. Then run the math for them to explain that paying the ETF is cheaper for you than to pay for no service (which it is!) and that once you’ve paid the ETF, AT&T will never see another dime from you. Then offer to allow them to set up the microcell, free of charge to you, in exchange for your continued patronage if they get it to work.

This is exactly what I did to AT&T, and it worked. I was having nightly phone calls with their VP of Network Operations and even though they had to send me 4 microcells we got it working, and through that time I had executive-level technical support. A side note: the microcell is designed to prevent tampering and will brick itself at the first sign. This means if you set it down on the table too hard, busted. You’ll have to treat it like glass to keep it working.

32. pot_roast says:

uh… why isn’t the microcell working? and how are you so sure that it would only take 30 minutes? (“I spent 2 hours in the store, for something that could have taken 30 minutes at the most.”)

So she has service outside the house, but for some unknown reason the microcell “wasn’t going to work in the house” yet we have absolutely no information why. She has had the service for 2 1/2 months. (“I’ve had my phone and contract for around 2 1/2 months.”)

I call shenanigans. Besides, she can easily sell the iPhone 4 for more than $300 on craigslist.

33. kiminminn says:

I have had very good customer service with AT&T online. The local AT&T store sucks… I have pretty much gotten anything I wanted online or the main customer service number. Going to the local store was a total waste of time and the employees not helpful or friendly at all.

34. mmmcgee says:

When I purchased my iphone in April 2010 the instore sales rep told me that our text messaging plan (1500 for $15.00) would be shared between my husband and I. He spent about 20 minutes researching which plan would be best suited for us based on our previous text usage… On our bill, however, we have two separate texting plans. I have repeatedly called AT&T and have asked to talk to Sipervisors and they have refused to pass me along. A woman named “Anisa” actually just hung up on me.