6 Towns In America Where You Can Get Free Land

There’s still such a thing as homesteading in America. Here’s 6 cities where they’re giving away free land:

Marquette, Kansas; Atwood, Kansas; Elwood, Nebraska; Marne, Iowa; Muskegon, Michigan; Camden, Maine.

Most have some sort of caveat, like building a house of a certain size or starting a business that hires locally, but hey man, that’s not bad for FREE LAND!

6 Places Where Land is FREE [Curbly]

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

If only it was in places I’d be caught dead in.

• cameronl says:

Thread over, man… THREAD OVER!

• prizgrizbiz says:

Believe me, they wouldn’t want you. Even dead.

• gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

Yeh I agree I don’t I don’t wanna live in any of those places. They sound like towns where you live because you grew up there and are stuck there with no other options. Except maybe Camden is not so bad. Have family who are lobster fishermen but it’s a hard living there.

2. Thassodar says:

There’s no way this is true, all those places are FICTIONAL! I don’t even want to know what a Iowa is.

3. UnicornMaster says:

Mame, Iowa. Either a place with great video games or a lot of disfigured people.

4. KatieNeptune says:

Camden, ME is goooooooooorgeous (Portlander here)(Maine, not Oregon).

• bendee says:

I could never live there for the sole reason that I’ve lived my entire life across the river from Camden, NJ, aka what Philly would look like after the apocalypse. I could never be okay with myself or my friends after living in a place called ‘Camden’.

5. umbriago says:

With Kansas, you get what you pay for.

6. pgh9fan1 says:

“Here’s 6 cities where they’re giving away free land:”

Maybe I’m just picky, but a professional writer should know that it’s, “Here are 6 cities where they’re giving away free land.”

• El Matarife says:

I’d go more with annoying/obnoxious than picky.

• balthisar says:

And in writing, one generally spells numbers below 10; thus we’d have “Here’re six cities…” (assuming one were adamant about the use of a contraction).

• Egat says:

If you were able to correct it to your arbitrary standards then the meaning was sufficiently communicated and your prescriptivism serves only as a sad commentary on your priorities.

7. Daverson says:

Camden Maine is a gorgeous little town on West Penobscot Bay. If I had the right business that could create jobs for the town, I’d take them up on that in a heartbeat.

8. obits3 says:

Free is just another name for nothing left to tax…

• longdvsn says:

This is why they’re giving it away…future tax revenue.

In fact, I think there are a lot of cities that will do this for businesses. If you have the right business plan, some cities will take (well, force current owners to sell at market value) property under eminent domain and sell a city block for $1…because over the next 30 years they’ll get their money back in tax revenue (fingers crossed!).

Perhaps the six cities mentioned do it just because they have open fields the city owns and wants to get rid of.

• PunditGuy says:

… and +1 for Janis Joplin remix.

9. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I hear Sunnydale, California could use an economic boost.

10. YouDidWhatNow? says:

I’d like to take this opportunity to point out that Kansas is, indeed, flatter than a pancake. Statistically speaking.

• Nighthawke says:

Apparently you never been to SE Kansas and the Flint Hills region. You get down in that area, you’ll encounter terrain that is comparable to some of the smaller canyon parks. Big Hill region is the southern end a uplift fault, where the hills easily tax any vehicle towing a RV trailer or boat. The Flint Hills is in itself a treasure trove of fossils embedded in chert and limestone deposits.
      And the town I grew up in was on top of a mesa of sorts, well protected from flooding from the nearby river and made for great sledding when winter arrived.

Yeah, Kansas is flat mostly, but the fun terrain is in the eastern part of the state, carrying on over to the Missouri Ozarks.

• Coles_Law says:

I came to say the same thing. Around Lawrence, KS and points northeast, Kansas is fairly hilly.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Hence the “Statistically Speaking” portion of the comment.

I for one will focus my efforts on producing a flatter pancake.

• Talisker says:

If you shrunk the earth down to the size of a billiard ball, it would be smoother than the ball.

• perfectly_cromulent says:

You beat me to it! they actually featured this in Time back when I was in college.

11. blogger X says:

…Are any of those lands in Kansas tornado areas?

• Silverhawk says:

That’s pretty much all of Kansas, along with much of the Heartland.

• Coles_Law says:

“Kansas tornado areas”=”everywhere in Kansas”, so yes.

• Saltpork says:

You’ve never been to Kansas, have you?

Tornado alley covers most of Kansas & Northern Oklahoma, as well as a happy chunk of Missouri.

When the sky turns green, hide.

• Snaptastic says:

All of it is tornado prone. I live in Colorado Springs and it’s interesting to see a small puff of cloud start up on top of Pikes Peak, then slowly grow and migrate east where it turns into a massive thunderstorm spitting lighting–all within a couple of hours. I’m sure from there it moves on to drop a tornado or two in Kansas or Oklahoma.

12. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I had some former neighbors in the 90’s who went homesteader in Twenty-nine Palms, CA. They had to put in a “house” and live in it for I forget how long… most people just brought in a mobile home and some trailers. Big, empty southern CA desert, lots of mountains.

13. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

I just saw The Cell so I was wondering where I could set up my water tank of torture.

14. Talisker says:

Marne is within easy commuting distance of Omaha. Do they have a giant pig farm or a nuclear waste dump or something that makes it so they have to give away free land?

• Gail says:

I’m guessing the problem is that the kids have to be bussed all over Iowa to get to school.

Or, there’s a pig farm. But I expected it to be much more out of the way than that – its even right off I-80!

15. RxDude says:

Worked in Wichita with a guy from Marquette. He commuted an hour and a half each way every day (to be at work at 1 AM ferchrissake!). I didn’t get it. NOBODY in KS commutes an hour and a half…

• rugman11 says:

I’ll be commuting an hour after I get married in the summer. Future wife works in Wichita, I work in Emporia, so we’ll have to split the difference. I also work with someone who commutes an hour because his wife works in Kansas City. It’s rare, but it does happen. As for these two towns, though, they’re outside of Kansas’s triangle of civilization so, no, I won’t be moving there.

16. Bob Lu says:

While you can get a condo, 10min away from Minneapolis, with (shared) pool, for 30 grand? I think I will pass this

• Shadowfax says:

What? Where? I’m not sure I could get a cardboard box in the Mpls ‘burbs for 30 grand.

Citation needed ;)

17. Rhizzo says:

At first glance I thought the last place on the list was Camden, NJ. I was going to say.. you’d have to pay me to take your free shit from that place.

Some of these places don’t look too bad. If only I didn’t have 60k in student loans and could afford to build a house.

Throw in a free house on the free land and provide me with a free Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 Spyder to get to stores where I’ll be provided with free living essentials and we’ll call it a deal. :P

18. mariex05 says:

I’m pretty sure Oldham, South Dakota has free lots of land too.

19. majortom1981 says:

Besides maine you could build your house and 2 days later have it destroyed by a tornado

20. mythago says:

Giving away land to businesses isn’t exactly homesteading. It’s about the same thing as giving them tax incentives.

21. AllanG54 says:

Just like the Oklahoma land grab of 1898. If you have to give people free land there’s got to be a reason that they don’t want to go there on their own.

22. _UsUrPeR_ says:

Muskegon isn’t THAT bad. I have a lot family that lives there.

23. tjthayer says:

I was ready to pull the trigger on an Elwood, Nebraska lot, until I ran across this in the covenants: “No noxious or offensive activity shall be carried on upon any lot, nor shall anything be done thereon which may become an annoyance or nuisance to the neighbors. The lots shall not be used in any way for any purpose that may endanger the health or reasonably
    disturb the quiet of any owner of adjoining lots.”

I mean, if I can’t open up my dream biker-bar-strip-club-meth-lab-brothel on my new lot, what’s the point?

24. olderbudwizer says:

“oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam….”

25. lihtox says:

I gotta think Detroit has land you could pick up for dirt cheap, no?

• bwcbwc says:

Not to mention Flint. I’m surprised Muskegon is the only Michigan (or overall Great Lakes area) city on the list.

26. AnthonyC says:

Keep in mind, if they’re giving away free land, you probably won’t be able to sell easily it you decide to leave.

27. soj4life says: