Nissan Recalls 2 Million Cars Worldwide Over Ignition Issues

October continues to be a bad month for the auto industry. Following recalls from Toyota and Honda over braking issues, and BMW because of fuel pump failures, Nissan has announced a massive recall of 2.14 million vehicles for problems with the ignition.

From the AP:

A problem was found in an ignition-system part called the relay for vehicles produced from August 2003 through July 2006, including small cars like the March, Cube and Note, and about a dozen other models, such as the Tiida sedan, Titan pickup and Infiniti QX56 luxury model.

In extreme cases, the engine will stall and won’t be able to start, said Nissan spokesman Mitsuru Yonekawa.

Nissan says the fix for the problem should only require 30 minutes to fix.

Nissan recalls 2 million vehicles worldwide [Detroit News]

Comments

1. travel_nut says:

I’ve never even heard of a March, Note, or Tiida.

2. FrugalFreak says:

And THERE is my NISSAN. Wondered where they had been.

• Taliskan says:

My first thought was you when I read the headline, lol. I’m constantly amazed at what information I retain. :P

3. Captain Walker says:

Can a return (for nostalgia’s sake, of course) to the Datsun name be far away?

• FrugalFreak says:

I loved Datsuns and Nissan Hardbody Trucks, I still own one. I have owned 4 different Nissan cars and loved them all.

• swarrior216 says:

I had a 96 Hardbody Kingcab. Best truck I ever had. With I had it still. I also like the Datsun 620 and 720.

• travel_nut says:

Maybe it’ll be like the Pepsi/Coke throwback thing and they’ll produce a whole line of “Datsun Throwback” cars.

4. Macgyver says:

It’s a relay, they go bad sometimes. That doesn’t mean that a recall has to be issued.

• peebozi says:

I agree…they should be able to install any shoddy parts they want…they’re a corporation after all.

You should have consulted with ford/goodyear prior to them settling those ford explorer lawsuits…i can hear it now. they’re tires, sometimes they go bad. suck it up and mourn your dead already.

• kjherron says:

It’s a safety issue. If the engine stalls at high speed, you’re in for an exciting time.

• chiefbozz says:

It’s not a safety issue. The ignition does nothing but start your car. Once it is going the alternator takes over. The recall is issued because the age of some of the vehicles will definitely make this out of warranty work. I say good call on Nissans part for the recall and kudos for only having a minor problem rather than something making it dangerous to drive.

5. Zerkaboid says:

My 2007 Versa has had ignition issues for a couple years, it often takes 2 or three tries to start it. Everyone I’ve asked about it basically just shrugs and moves on. It’s not included in this recall but it certainly sounds like it should be.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

What kind of noise does it make? Is it a clicky noise like the battery is dead, or a sputtering like you haven’t turned the key all the way? Not that I have an answer for you, but I’m curious.

• Zerkaboid says:

No clicking, it sounds like it’s turning over but then it doesn’t. I’ll hold it for a few seconds, pause, try again and it starts up like normal. It seems to do it more in hot weather but I may just be selectively remembering.

• Itsatrap says:

Are you sure it’s not? The recall says “produced through July 2006,” that’s not the model year. Your 2007 Versa was probably manufactured in 2006. This time of year dealers already have the next year’s model, as evidenced by dealers of every brand having 2011 models on the lots now, in 2010.

• Zerkaboid says:

That’s a good point, there was no mention of Versa so I just assumed it wasn’t included. Do they send out letters for this sort of thing? I’ve never been part of a recall…

6. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Before everyone panics, the pre-2008 generations of the Cube (also known as the March) were only sold in Asia. It wasn’t until 2008 that the Cube was sold in Europe and North America.

The Tiida is the non-North America version of the Versa. It was only sold in some Asian and European markets. The first North American introduction of this car was the Versa.

The Nissan Note has never been sold in the US, to my knowledge.

7. Arcaeris says:

There’s no listing of specific models, so is this every car from August 2003 to July 2006?

8. The cake is a lie! says:

I’m just waiting for Subaru to get in on this and start recalling some of the things that they have issues with. Unfortunately ‘poor quality’ is the norm these days. They recall it if it is dangerous, but if your paint is chipping or if your carpets are so crappy that you get holes in them after 6 months, that isn’t grounds for a recall. They can use cheap materials everywhere else (windshields, leather, paint, etc) but unless it is leaking out of something mechanical or affects the performance of the car, they won’t do a recall. The quality level of the whole industry has been crap since the 2005 model year.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’m not convinced things are worse than they were 5 or 10 years ago. I just think recalls are getting a lot more publicity. Off the top of my head, between 2000 – 2005 there were major recalls for…

- GM Dex-Cool induced headgasket failures
      - Subaru headgaskets
      - Ford power steering issues
      - Honda automatic transmissions (esp. on minivans)
      - Toyota frame rot

and the list goes on and on…

• zzyzzx says:

“The quality level of the whole industry has been crap since the 2005 model year.”

IMO, it’s because all the automakers are using more Chinese and Indian parts.

9. chocolate1234 says:

Luckily my Nissan doesn’t fall into the recall territory. I’ve had it four years, and love it. Great gas mileage, reliable, and only minor repairs have been required so far, and I’m well over 100K.

10. littlefisker says:

I work in the Service Department of a Nissan dealership in Alaska… I wish they wouldn’t announce these things like this. All day we’ve had people calling us, panicking, and all we can tell them is to relax and call us back if they get a notice in the mail. If your vehicle is affected by the recall you will be sent a notice based on your VIN #. If you bought your vehicle used from an individual or have some reason to believe Nissan doesn’t have your address, then you should call your local dealer, but they will need your VIN# to run NissanNet on it and check for recalls.

If you are NOT having any trouble with your car I would suggest simply taking it to a Nissan Dealership for your next oil change, the Nissan Service department will check for recalls every time you bring your car in. Other repair shops/dealerships don’t have access to NissanNet, which is why I suggest taking it to an actual Nissan dealership.