Dollar Tree Recalls 682,000 Halloween Lanterns Because 'Burning Child' Is Not A Great Costume

With only days to go before Halloween, Dollar Tree has issued a recall for 682,000 Pumpkin, Ghost and Skull Halloween Lanterns over fears of a possible burn and fire hazard.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the bulb in the battery-operated lanterns can overheat, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers.

Dollar Tree has received one report of the bulb in a lantern overheating. Luckily, no injuries have been reported.

From CPSC:

This recall involves plastic Halloween-themed lanterns designed to resemble a pumpkin, ghost and skull. The lanterns are about 6 1/2 inches tall and were sold in orange, white and black. Model number 954437-13096-003-1005 is printed on the bottom of the lanterns.

These lanterns were sold at Dollar Tree, Dollar Bill$, Occasions, Deal$ and Dollar Tree Deal$ stores nationwide from August 2010 to October 2010.

CPSC says consumers should take the recalled lanterns away from children immediately, remove and properly discard the batteries and return the lanterns to the store where purchased for a full refund.

For additional information, contact Dollar Tree Stores Inc. at (800) 876-8077 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s website at www.dollartree.com.

Dollar Tree Recalls Children’s Halloween Lanterns Due to Fire and Burn Hazards [CPSC.gov]

Comments

1. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

if i had kids i’d dress them as the scariest things: recalled products. or the affereffects of recalled products. and no, i don’t plan to have kids.

2. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

I wonder how much they cost.

3. pecan 3.14159265 says:

But how will they learn to appreciate Burning Man in the future?

4. Macgyver says:

So, they’re recalling them because of only one report. Maybe someone put in a higher wattage bulb the they were supposed to.

5. Hoss says:

Yea, looks like someone could toss that into a window and watch the house go down in flames! My gawd, I don’t think kids sleep with them. 700,000 recalled because of one complaint?

6. Bativac says:

Cue Irwin Mainway, courtesy Dan Aykroyd:

This happens to be a favorite of mine, because it’s a low-price Halloween costume. It’s really one of the more exciting ones. You take the rags, you just pin ‘em on there like a hobo, you know? And then flame on, lights up the night! It’s a beautiful costume, I think.

7. Mimet says:

“Burning Child” is a terrific costume!

8. Blueskylaw says:

“the bulb in the battery-operated lanterns can overheat”
    “remove and properly discard the batteries”

Why throw the batteries away when the bulb is bad?

9. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

When I was a kid (cue groans and yawns)…

we used to carry real oil lanterns cuz they were spooky looking at night. Once my brother, when he was about 9 had a troll costume where he carried a real, lit torch. In my neighborhood, people used to put portable firepits in front of the houses where candy was available.

I did burn myself one time. But I got over it. Man, lets just have the neighbors bring the candy to the kids who can sit safely inside their homes covered in bubble wrap.

10. Razor512 says:

Costumes are expensive but fire is not, “burning child” is the economical choice for celebrating Halloween during a recession.

11. JonBoy470 says:

Most electrically operated items sold at the Dollar Tree are complete crap. 50% failure rate inside a week, I’d say. When you take these things apart it becomes glaringly obvious how cheaply made they are.

12. stevenpdx says:

What do you expect for a dollar, something safe?

13. Red Cat Linux says:

I’m sorry to say that I don’t have high expectations of stuff sold in Dollar Stores. I know – shocking. I know your mileage may vary, but consumables, personal care products and the sort? Yeah.. not touching that stuff from a dollar store.

But something simple like a lantern, you’d think might be safe. How big can that bulb be? Like a flashlight bulb? How do you mess that up?

14. retailriter says:

If you feel safe buying your kids things from China Tree, I mean, Dollar Tree, for your children, you deserve what you get.

Most items in Dollar Tree these days aren’t even WORTH a dollar, in my opinion.

15. Pooterfish says:

A failure rate of 1 in 700,000, no one got injured, and there’s a recall?

16. AllanG54 says:

With all the crap they sell, and all the recalls they seem to have…from toys to food products, how the hell does their stock value and store sales keep increasing?

17. lucky13 says:

“Burning child” = best costume EVER!
    Why doesn’t Dollar Tree and the CPSC understand that? They could make a killing selling those.

I wish I’d of thought of that costume when I was younger…”burning older guy” just sounds kinda creepy…but not in scary cool Halloween kinda way.

18. lucky13 says:

“Burning child” = best costume EVER!

19. lucky13 says:

“Burning child” = best costume EVER!

20. lucky13 says:

“Burning child” = best costume EVER!

I wish I’d of thought of that costume when I was younger…”burning old guy” just sounds kinda creepy…but not in scary cool Halloween kinda way.