Personal Finance Roundup

How to Become Wealthy [Free Money Finance] “Want a guaranteed way to become wealthy? Read on.”

9 strategies for this (or any) market [MSN Money] “Even in scary economic times, investors who stick with the basics — indexing, diversifying, dollar-cost averaging and more — are usually rewarded.”

10 Things We Overpay For [Kiplinger] “You can save a lot by buying cheaper alternatives.”

5 Reasons Why You Should Give Kids Cash for the Holidays [Wise Bread] “Here’s why I’m sending cash for Christmas, and you should too.”

20 Favorite Dirt Cheap Meals [The Simple Dollar] “20 of my favorites.”

FREE MONEY FINANCE

Comments

1. Supes says:

In the “10 things we overpay for article,” one of the things listed is gift cards.

This is totally true. I’ve always been leery of purchasing them on eBay (too afraid they’ll be redeemed right after I receive it), but recently I’ve gotten in the habit of buying gift cards for myself though SmartyPig (good selection of retailers, most with about a 3% discount on cards, some as high as 14%). Coupled with 2% cashback from my credit card, it works out to a pretty nice discount on any purchase.

SmartyPig has been great to me…. I just make a new “goal” with the amount I want to put towards the card (minus the bonus) and redeem it right away.

2. Bob Lu says:

In the “10 Things We Overpay For”, it says low-flow shower head i a good idea.

I have to disagree. While I am usually a supporter to all kids of energy/resources saving devices, I think the low-flow shower head is the WORST idea we human being ever came up with.

The showering experience is so not satisfying that I have to double my shower time, eliminate the benefit of the low-flow shower head, and I still feel miserable after taking this kind of crappy shower.

• Hoss says:

I agree. At least we don’t have one of those ten jet showers that shoot water into every crevice, or a huge soaking tub. A regular shower head with a massage feature for when I pull my back is saving plenty.

• Hoss says:

3. kalaratri says:

I still think giving cash to kids is lame and impersonal. Teens and up i would give cash to, though, since it’s so darn hard to figure out what they like at any given moment.

Part of being the cool auntie for me is giving the awesome thing that their parents didn’t (or couldn’t) get them. Within reason of course, I won’t buy junior a drum kit if mama says no.

• Hoss says:

I thought one of the 5 reasons would be that gift cards are utterly stupid but it was not. I agree, cash is a bummer when youre a kid. It’s not empowering at all — mom is going to dictate the rules. It’s better than a crocheted blanket from granny though

4. blinky says:

And it makes you look like you were too uninterested to find something personal.

5. BETH says:

Most of the dirt cheap meals sound absolutely revolting. If someone served me scrambled eggs and black beans for breakfast, I think I’d throw up. Clearing all the leftovers out of the fridge and heating them in a pot is not the way to make a meal.

The only one I’d recommend is the toasted cheese sandwich. It’s especially good with tomatoes,