Santa's Elves Had Better Get Cracking On Retina Displays

Parents looking in the aisles of the toy store where they sell hula hoops, baseball gloves and baby dolls will want to start looking elsewhere to buy Christmas presents for their ungrateful ankle-biters. In face, they may want to avoid the toy section altogether and head toward the electronics department.

According to the Duracell Toy Report, which surveyed 2,138 children and parents, kids between ages 5 and 16, youngsters want to Apple-up their lifestyles. The iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad swept the top three spots in the survey. So the elves in the North Pole had better either pull out their credit cards or brush off on their microchip constructing skills.

The top 10 on the list:

1) iPhone 4 (14%)

2) iPod touch (13%)

3) iPad (12%)

4) Kinect for Xbox (6%)

5) Zhu Zhu Pet Hamsters / Kung Zhu Hamsters (5%)

6) Flip Video Camera (4%)

7) Toy Story 3 Jet Pack Buzz Lightyear (4%)

8) PlayStation Move (4%)

9) LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 Video Game (3%)

10) Barbie Video Girl (3%)

The list doesn’t have much good news for Duracell, since few of the products take standard batteries. And Nintendo can’t be too pleased that both of its competitors’ motion controllers made the list while the Wii has been forgotten.

Children want gadgets not toys for Christmas [Telegraph via Kotaku]

Comments

1. UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Forget the Apple stuff.

Kids still want Zhu Zhu Pets?!

2. eccsame says:

Why would Nintendo be surprised? The only thing it had going for it was the motion controller. Now that the PS3 and Xbox have them, why would anyone want a Wii?

• AstroPig7 says:

Do the PS3 or the Xbox 360 have motion-controllable games worth playing, though?

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

To be fair, most of the best games on the Wii would be perfectly playable without motion controls. Or sadly, even better.

Zelda? Mario Galaxy? New Super Mario? They could all do just fine without the Wiimote.

I do think, however, that it will be a while before anything really compelling shows up on the Kinect or Move.

• AstroPig7 says:

I’ll give you Zelda, especially since it’s a GameCube title with motion controls slapped on top of it, but Super Mario Galaxy would have been less enjoyable without motion control. Sure, it would have been playable, but it’s one of the few games that uses motion control without treating it like a gimmick.

• Genuineduck says:

For the awesome games? I’m trying to save up to build a $2k rig for diablo 3 but the Wii games coming out and the limited edition Wii is trying my willpower to spend my money. I can think of 10 games right off the top of my head which are Wii must buys.

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Why in heaven’s name do you need $2K to build a rig to play D3?

It’s Blizzard! It will run at highest settings on a computer from five years prior to release!

• Genuineduck says:

For diablo 3 doesn’t mean exclusively for diablo 3. I am a le PC gamer, just a poor one right now hence my bad pc.

and why do you people always say this? It’s 100% not true. I have a 2 year old rig, sporting GTS 250, 6 gigs DDR2 and Q6600 @ 2.4 GHZ..Outdated to say the least but that can’t run WoW at full settings with steady 60 FPS in 25 man raids.

For casual gamers FPS may not matter but I demand 60+ FPS which yes, you do need a decent rig to pull off.

Oh, and $400 of that is going towards a 27″ monitor, so really a $1500ish rig

• jesusofcool says:

Yeah, I prefer the Wii game selection. But I was never a first person shooter person, I’ve always preferred the kid games/adventure games.

3. Blueskylaw says:

Sorry, but if my kids (when I have them) are in school, they will not be getting a “smart” phone only to be sucked into a texting vortex when they should be studying, they will get a dumb phone that makes calls.

• jamar0303 says:

Hope you can keep an eye on their shopping habits… functionally similar fakes on eBay run VERY cheap. Or, heaven forbid, the Chinese-made “Apple Peel” software+hardware combo that gives an iPod touch voice call and text functions.

• Conformist138 says:

By the time your kids are old enough, there might not BE any dumb phones left. I mean, if you had a kid *today*, you’re looking at, what, a minimum of 10-15 years before a phone makes any sense even for limited use. Think about it, the *first* text was sent in 1992, less than 20 years ago. Considering the rate of changing and evolving technology, a “smart phone” might be the future’s equivalent of a “dumb phone”, rendering a “dumb phone” equal to a brick from the 1980s.

4. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Your pretentious kids can have whatever they want. My kids are getting toys that garner learning.

• mergatroy6 says:

sounds boring

• Blueskylaw says:

They will thank you later on. My mom used to take us kids to the library when we were little and leave us there for a few hours while she did her chores/shopping. I don’t think I would have my love for knowledge and reading if it wasn’t for that.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I always give books. This makes me the giftgiver kids sometimes dislike, but I like to think that they’ll silently and reluctantly thank me for it later, and maybe they’ll be happy to thank me in a few decades when they’re accepting a Nobel Prize or something. I can hope.

• Blueskylaw says:

Hello Pecan, I was just reminiscing about when your name was Pecan Pi and I responded to one of your replies with Pecan 3.14159 and you liked it so much you changed your name.

• portishead69 says:

Examples? Thanks.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Legos, man. Greatest toy on earth.

• portishead69 says:

Agreed! I still have my collection – going on 30+ years now… will be going to my boy when he is old enough.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

When I actually have kids, I hope I have space to build a toy room out back, filled with Legos. My kid can go in there and build whatever he wants…. as soon as I’m done building my awesome robot!

Plus, there are more adult lego stuff, too, with computer programming that can teach your kid computer language and basic robotics.

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Legos are great.

Video games are also great.

I had the best of both worlds, and I like to think I’m better off for it. :-)

• Alvis says:

Legos are too structured. My kids are getting numbers. It’s up to them to figure out what to do with them.

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

My kids are going to make their own mathematical systems at home. That way they’ll really truly learn the value of a well-designed algebra and calculus. None of this modern corporate stuff. We’re goin’ back to “one stick, two stick,” baby!

And when they’re done, they’ll sell it for a meager but meaningful profit.

• BomanTheBear says:

i lol’d.

• UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

How about a little of both? I had video games and Legos, as well as books and little science labs. I spent a lot of time doing all of them.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Haha. My friends love the gifts I give their kids because I always give fun, yet educational, things. The kids’ grandparents always get them “fun” toys for Christmas and I balance it all out with science sets and nature documentaries geared toward kids.

• craptastico says:

i bet you hand out raisins on Halloween, don’t you? nature’s candy…blech

• BigHeadEd says:

Interesting that you use the word pretentious and then go on to say your kids only get toys that “garner learning”. I suppose they only get soy milk and whole grain bread sandwiches as well?

• Outrun1986 says:

iPod and iPhone have tons of educational apps geared towards children, and even very young children. I don’t see any other video game system that has stuff like this, there might be a handful of learning games, but if you have a young kid and they are itching for a gaming system iPod touch is the way to go!

5. Genuineduck says:

Man, if I was a 6-16 year old and asked my parents for a $300 phone with a 2 year contract of minimum $80 monthly payments I’d probably be laughed out of the house.

Did they survey only kids whose parents pull in six digits?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

When I was 16 I wanted the latest gadgets, too. This year’s 16 year olds want iPhones. When I was 16, I wanted a new computer (and I got one, too!). It’s not that different.

• colorisnteverything says:

My parents made six figures and I STILL didn’t get any of that. I got a computer for my 18th birthday and didn’t have a cell phone until I was 16. And I can still remember how cool it was to have your own phone.

My parents didn’t see the point.

6. nybiker says:

I read the linked article, and I would still like to know if this “Duracell” is the same as the battery company? Yes, I see that Phil indicates it is the same, but inquiring minds still need to be sure. ‘Cause what battery company is doing a toy survey? And if you want a survey to be accepted, you need to have independent people conducting it. Even those bastions of truth in broadcasting, the tv networks, usually at least partner with a ‘reputable’ organization to conduct surveys & polls. Of course, who they partner with might still have a bearing on how the results turn out.
    I wonder how the folks at PROCTER & GAMBLE got the kids on the phone? First call mom & dad and ask to speak to junior as to what they want for a holiday gift?
    Does the bunny battery company put out their own survey? And what about The Shack?

7. NashuaConsumerist says:

‘In face’? Did you mean ‘in fact’?

8. mowz says:

Holy crap kids sound like they have it good these days. When I was a child all I got for Xmas were clothes that my mom had stockpiled years in advance because they were on sale. For example, when I was 13, my mom and dad gave me clothes they had about about 10 years prior because they believed clothing prices would rise and said clothes were on sale at the time. I was a fashion nightmare. But I got smart when I turned 16. I thought to myself, “I should just ask for money.” I did.

In b4 “poor you, blah, blah, blah,” and “at least you got stuff” and “stfu” comments

9. jesirose says:

Toys kids want vs things they’ll actually get, very different lists.

• Outrun1986 says:

That is true as well, not too many parents are gonna spring for an iPhone 4 for their kid, but they will probably spring for an iPod touch. I am sure if you look at lists from years past, that all the big expensive things were in the top 10, walkman’s, cd players, sega genesis, super nintendo, nintendo, computers… etc.

• jesusofcool says:

I was thinking that as well. We used to like all sorts of stupid things, that didn’t mean we actually got them. We got whatever my parents thought would be most practical and most used – and generally we ended up forgetting we had ever asked for anything else.
      What’s funny is I can’t remember ever asking for or receiving anything more electronic than a boombox…mostly the same traditional stuff that was around when my parents were kids.

10. Outrun1986 says:

This does not surprise me at all, every kid in my family has gotten an iPod at age 8, at which point they pretty much stop playing with toys and its all iPods and video games. Kids just stop playing with toys a lot younger these days.

Honestly though, for the amount of money parents waste on toys that get played with once or twice, you could have an iPod touch + iTunes Giftcard or a Nintendo DS and a few games. For a lot of parents, this is the better purchase because kids don’t get bored with the iPod, when they outgrow stuff you just load new content onto it. With the Nintendo DS, the parent can sell the old games and buy new ones if their kid outgrows the games. Toys on the other hand get played with for a week or 2 and then they are tossed to the side. The resell market for used toys is non existent unless you have something really rare, and SA and Goodwill (at least here) do not take Toy donations anymore because of recalls and the risk of being sued if a kid gets hurt on a broken toy.

The exception here is Lego’s, they just don’t get outgrown as easily as other toys! Plenty of older kids that play with legos.

11. Cantras says:

My friend and I are big fans of the gift-tree at Barnes and Noble, because (obviously) it’s all about books — 9 year old boy named Marcus wants a book, he likes scary stuff. 6 year old girl named sara wants a book, she likes horses. The year we discovered it, we were talking about those, compared to the ones you see in other stores, which range a gamut from “socks, size 6″ (heartbreaking need) to “PS3″ (not so much).
    She pointed out that her 4 year old cousin had declared she wanted an iphone for christmas (the year they had just come out). She had no idea what an iphone was, what it did, or what it cost — but everyone wanted one so it must be really cool. She theorises that the kids asking for these things have no idea what a PS3 or Xbox or whatever costs — they just know it’s somewhere in the cloud of things they can’t afford, so maybe it just costs a little more than that pair of shoes.

It’s a little more heartening than believing that a 10 year old is hoping for a complete stranger to buy him a $300 device and maybe some games since he’s not likely to be able to afford those either.

Really, though, making the range 5-16 is a bit dumb. 11-16 probably make up the majority of those apple things, and 5-10 will want more battery things, which is what Duracell wants to know.

12. tiz says:

pffffff i’m asking for the sony touch e-reader. please, santa?

13. TheGreySpectre says:

I though the age group of this study was rather ridiculous. What 16 year old wants the same thing as a 5 year old? There are roughly 3 different age groups in this study.

14. Torchwood says:

And, for how many kids this year will their entire list of presents consist of nothing from this list, but what they actually need (clothing, shoes)? Why? Because the parents are barely making ends.

Of course, we have to deal with the obligatory story of a brat of a parent who is selling off a Xbox system minus box on Craiglist, then posted the video on YouTube of the kid opening the present, thinking that they got a Xbox, only to find clothing.

15. bkasrel says:

MSFT has a MONSTER hit on their hands here. Here is why:

1) Kinect ranks above all other non-Apple products
    2) It is not even out yet
    3) Ad blitz has yet to be in full swing yet
    4) You have to have a Xbox to use it – limits the size of the target audience
    5) Virtually no one has seen it actually work yet in a live demo; everyone is betting on the PROMISE of the product

Just wait until this get word of mouth of actual users and people using at friends houses. This is going to be HUGE for their bottom line. Would not be surprised to see this move their stock price a reasonable amount once word hits they are out of stock in a day or two after launch.

PS – I used to work for MSFT (not in the Xbox Div). I really dont want one of these as I dont play console games. If they had asked me I would have said I want an iPhone 4 on Verizon. So take that into account when reading this…

16. nocturnaljames says:

Kids already have Wii’s. MS & Sony are playing catchup. They are on the list because they are NEW products. Wii is very old..