Best Buy Online Messes Up My Order Again And Again

John thought he’d take Best Buy up on a 36-month, no interest plan when he bought some appliances, but says the online ordering system repeatedly bungled his order.

He writes:

Just thought I’d relay the stupidity that is Best Buy’s online ordering system.

Best Buy offered 36 months, no interest, on our purchase of a refrigerator, TV, and a speaker system. While I strongly dislike buying from Best Buy, since we just purchased a home, 36 months with no interest was perfect for us.

So, I placed the order, scheduled delivery, and set the speaker system up for pickup (it couldn’t be delivered with the TV/fridge). Two days before the ship date, I receive an email telling me that there’s a billing problem. To my neglect, I did not see the email until the following day, at which time I called the 800 number. Apparently when the pick up order was processed, it charged us for the entire order (speaker, TV, and fridge). Then, since we only to picked up one of the items, Best Buy issued a refund for the cost of the TV/fridge. Problem is, they immediately then tried to charge the TV/fridge again, and, because our credit line with Best Buy only covered the original purchase price, the charge was denied. So I said, if I just give you a new payment method, will that cure the issue so I can get the TV/fridge delivered (we really wanted to get a fridge–seeing as how that’s an often used appliance in a home)? BB said, probably, yes. They then told me to contact the store to ensure that they would deliver it. Okay, cool. Well, I then called the store, and they were very confused as to why the 800 # would say to talk to them about delivery–as they have no control over orders placed online. They contacted the warehouse, who told them the fridge/TV would not be delivered.

At this point, I’m a little annoyed. So I call the 800 # again to say, I want to just cancel the remaining order, so I could pick my delivery date at a later time. The original delivery date was the only convenient date for a few weeks–and I needed to coordinate when someone could be home for delivery. Well, they say, no, your order can’t be canceled at this point (of course). However, I was able to switch back to putting all the charges on the Best Buy card, and today I noticed that the refund has gone through. So I guess I can just reschedule delivery for another date, and at worst, we have to live without a fridge for a couple of weeks… but really?

How difficult is it to process an order? I don’t understand why a pick up order of one item required the charge of all 3? Anyway, Best Buy is clearly crazy.

How would you have handled Best Buy’s bungled order?

Comments

1. Alvis says:

“since we just purchased a home, 36 months with no interest was perfect for us…”

More perfect than saving up and feeling that your new appliances, once you’ve put away enough to afford them, are well-deserved?

• Holybalheadedchrist! says:

Yes, you’ve stumbled onto his secret: being out of money after closing on a house. Jeez, it’s not like this is the first time it’s happened. Offer something constructive.

How long should he wait to buy a fridge to please you? Arrogant much?

• ShadowFalls says:

I know, it is called being smart. As long as he ensures he pays off the balance before the end, you end up with being able to use something for 3 years that you can really use now while paying it off slowly.

• c!tizen says:

What?

• mergatroy6 says:

Do you have any idea what condition the current appliances were in?

I just bought a house as well and it came with an avocado green stove from the 60s that had a leaky pilot and a fridge that was just filthy. Guess what, I put them on an interest free store card.

Sometimes you have to float a purchase.

• jeff_the_snake says:

you should have gotten the stove fixed instead, only because those old 60′s appliances look awesome!

• MMD says:

I knew someone would chime in with that attitude.

Maybe you could apply that logic to whether a new TV is necessary – but how do you even know that the new house had a fridge in it? You don’t. You just needed to be judgy.

• Harry Manback says:

Um…yes? It’s more perfect because the financial situation is the same (it costs nothing extra) while you can enjoy and use the appliances now (what if the current ones aren’t functioning properly anymore?) instead of having to settle on an inferior product that you don’t really want. Not to mention, that allows for the emergency fund to remain intact should something bad happen.

• aloria says:

Plus, if he doesn’t have a functioning fridge currently, getting one on a no-interest plan *now* would SAVE him the money he’d end up spending on gas used to go buy fresh food more frequently, increased consumption of takeout, etc.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Because in the meantime, who needs groceries…

• JohnDeere says:

maybe hes gonna pay it off with his tax return. he has that option. and its just as well deserved without the hassle of saving.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I think the assumption that people only finance things when they can’t afford them isn’t always true. I always jump all over 0% financing, even when I can afford to pay in cash. I’d much rather let my money work for me.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Everyone is right to chastize you for your moronic statement.

However, just to play devil’s advocate, while I understand charging the fridge, I assume we agree that a new TV and speakers were not urgent purchases.

• mobiuschic42 says:

Yes, because living without a fridge for months is really feasible.

• NeverLetMeDown says:

Even if you have the cash in the back, 36 months no interest is a deal, since you earn money on the float (assuming, of course, that you are getting the best deal, etc.).

• Murph1908 says:

Sure. Save up for another year to afford all the appliances. That way:

1. The house you wanted wouldn’t be there anymore.
      2. The buyer to your house would be long gone.
      3. Interest rates will go up, costing you thousands of dollars more over the life of your mortgage.

But nah, go ahead and bask someone who’s good enough with their finances to afford a new house.

• gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

And what use a cooler till then? How does that make any sense at all whatsoever?

• failurate says:

This person just throws out the same canned response for everything even remotely involving consumer credit. He’s a Dave Ramsey drone.

• Trick says:

What a stupid statement. Are you trying to be funny or trying to act smart?

36 months of no interest means you either keep the money you already have for such a purchase in the bank, earning something which is better than nothing or you let Best Buy give you money for free as long as you pay them back.

Utilizing no-interest payment options has *made* me money. I earn numerous rewards and get cash back regularly and though I generally carry no credit card balance, I have roughly $1900 with a couple of companies that offer no interest options. If you are smart with your money, this is a great option to use.

And do go on about if all of sudden I can’t make payments… in my case that won’t happen. The money is sitting in a bank account is being used to pay the bill right now. The only way I will get hit with an interest charge is if I stop paying my bills…

• Gulliver says:

What the hell is it ANY of your damn business how he chooses to finance his home, appliances, or any other damn thing? I guess people should save to buy EVERYTHING in the world. No more mortgages, no more car payments, pay 6 months worth of insurance IN ADVANCE. Guess who uses credit ALL THE TIME. Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, MicroSoft,.Google. They seem to be doing ok. I guess it takes a sanctimonious person who thinks they have solved finances to believe they know the way for everybody. Go away

• Pax says:

… and if the home doesn’t HAVE a refrigerator already?

• Difdi says:

Might be kinda hard to do without a refrigerator for that period of time…

• jayelle says:

We discovered on move-in day last year that the fridge we had thought was included…wasn’t. We financed it through Lowe’s with no interest for 6 months (the ONLY way we could afford to get anything, and we did not get a fancy one) and paid it off with my husband’s annual end-of-year bonus. Shit happens, people need stuff. Don’t be a dick.

2. c!tizen says:

Ummm… am I missing the part about charging interest? The title doesn’t match the article at all, or am I smoking crack?

• marlathetourist says:

I think the problem was that he placed his order on a iPad.

• agent 47 says:

Look who wrote it.

• DanRydell says:

I can’t even figure out WTF is going on in the guy’s story.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Here’s the low down – he got financing through best buy for the total of his order for a fridge, a television, and a speaker system.

The speaker system couldn’t be delivered with the TV and Fridge, so he set a date to pick it up while also setting a delivery date for the other items.

For some reason, he surmises due to the pickup being arranged, BB charged the entirety of the cost of the order to the credit line he had set up, but then because only part of it was being picked up, they refunded the difference for the TV/Fridge.

Here’s where it gets tricky. BB had exhausted the credit line and refunds usually take 48 hours to take effect. But the delivery also attempted to charge the amount for the TV/Fridge to the credit line, which was full and now got declined.

Better?

• c!tizen says:

No, I understand that part, what I’m confused about is the title to the article. When you get something on store financing it is charged to the account immediately. The account is created and charged, the first payment is usually due a month from that time. Also, nowhere in the article does the guy mention interest being charged due to this snafu…

…so, “Best Buy’s Online’s Idea Of Zero Interest Is An Immediate Charge” makes no sense at all. Also, I just realized you may be replying to DanRydell, but I’m too lazy to hit delete so, yeah.

3. Marlin says:

Cancel full order and go else where.

Lowes, Sears, HD, local shop, Online, etc…

4. Holybalheadedchrist! says:

On a completely different note, wouldn’t this have been a great story for a girl with storm trooper head shot? Maybe I just miss her.

5. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

As usual with BBY, the best strategy here is to chargeback everything, return it, and go somewhere else.

6. SuperNinjaâ„¢ says:

A more accurate headline: “Sometimes, mistakes are made that annoy people. This happens tens of thousands of times per day. Here is one of them.”

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

This was a consumer’s problem and this is the Consumerist site.

What the fuck is your problem?

7. Macgyver says:

What’s the problem here. Just ask BB to delivery the fridge and TV, end of story.

8. Darrone says:

Does the title have anything to do with the Article? Where is the problem with interest?

9. fhahnel says:

cancel order, they did u a favor, go ANYWHERE else to buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. balthisar says:

Strange. I recently placed an online pickup order wherein I had to go to three different stores to get everything I wanted (not every component I needed was available at any one or two stores. Luckily there’s a Best Buy every few miles). Nothing was charged at all until pickup, and then only the items that I picked up at each individual store. Trust me, I was concerned that there’d be problems, but was surprised that it went flawlessly. Oh, and I’m not a Best Buy shill; ordinarily I wouldn’t shop at Best Buy at all, but it’s a long story.

11. LightningUsagi says:

I’m confused…when I’ve taken up BB on the no-interest bargains, they charge my BB account immediately, and my payments for the items go to the BB account. I’m not sure why it’s so odd that BB would charge you for items you purchased, but I might be missing something. Yes, it’s sucky that the system refunded you for the delivered items, and caused a mess, but the headline and lead-in insinuate that the big issue is that your account was charged.

12. wellfleet says:

Umm… of course they charge you for the full amount when you buy something. Then, every payment he sends in to the Best Buy card goes directly to pay that amount and the OP doesn’t accrue interest.

Honestly, I worked at BBY for years, and even I have no idea what the customer is talking about as far as being charged interest. And the headline is misleading. And Phil is just… Phil. But hey, you got a page view AND a comment. Congrats!

• props says:

I don’t think you read the submission.

It’s not that they charged me, it’s the ORDER in which they charged. Charge for full order, then issue refund for part of the order, then immediately charge again for remaining order before refund can be processed? How does that make sense in normal-world?

13. props says:

As the person who submitted this, let me clarify.

The title is misleading, and not what I intended. It wasn’t that they charged me, it was the order in which the charges hit my Best Buy credit account.

And as an update, I have asked Best Buy to deliver the fridge and TV. And so far they cannot confirm a delivery date. It is a mystery as to why. In their systems, they have my delivery scheduled for October 23, 2010. Seeing as how Best Buy probably does not have a time machine for a delivery truck, Best Buy is still utterly confused regarding my order. I was told today that someone in their delivery department would call to schedule delivery.

And to those urging me to cancel, Best Buy iterated that I could not cancel my order. So, I’d have to take delivery and then seek a return. I am choosing between two very inconvenient options

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Submit a BBB complaint. This should be received by BBY within a few days and may well force an escalation and get it resolved faster.

It’s just due diligence on your part, since the company is not doing theirs.

• BannedInBrittan says:

Just send a tweet to Twelpforce and Coral_BBY. I’ve seen many a snafu fixed that way.

• MeowMaximus says:

Look, I am sorry you are having problems with your purchase, but since you are obviously a reader of this blog, why the hell would you ever buy anything from Worst Buy, or trust them to keep up their end of the bargain? Since at this point they have delivered nothing to you, cancel the order, do a charge back, and NEVER go to Worst Buy ever again. Don’t believe them that you “can’t cancel” that’s just bullpuckey. Of course they want to keep your money, so they are going to lie to you, and string you out as long as possible. Charge back. Now.

14. AustinTXProgrammer says:

This is one strange letter. I had to read it several times… My take so someone can tell me if I’m nuts

1. Customer had or opened Best Buy credit line to purchase fridge, TV, and speakers for 36 months interest free.
    2. Customer picks up speakers, this causes entire order to be charged causing partial and automatic partial refund. I’m sure this charge probably fails the requirements to be interest free and could cause the customer problems too.
    3. There is no longer enough credit available to finish the order and there would be a delay for the refund to post.

Sounds like a simple glitch. When I bought a house we scheduled the delivery of the fridge two weeks out to make sure nothing like this happened. While a pain in the rear, I don’t see anything really out of the ordinary here. I had a similar problem with an Amazon order and my Visa card (which I was paying in full, but the washer dryer set was 52% of the limit).

15. Nighthawke says:

Someone needs to donkey punch these clowns, then take them back to school and teach them business 101.

16. MeowMaximus says:

Dr Jhn: Y’r n dt. Cnsdr yr lsss hr t b n dt tx. Nw g w.

• MeowMaximus says:

Hmm, Dis-emvoweled I see. Sorry, I stand by my comment. Anyone who does business with Worst Buy is a fool, and deserves whatever they get. How can anyone who reads Consumerist be silly enough to do business with them? I have lost all sympathy for anyone who has issues with Worst Buy.

17. QrazyQat says:

Well, they said they wouldn’t charge interest, and since they’re taking your money right now no interest will be due. (At least that’s what the legal department told sales.)

18. vizsladog says:

By now, anyone who buys anything from Best Buy deserves whatever brain numbing experience that they get. These clowns have been called out for unethical and unprofessional behavior for years!

19. arizonaadam says:

Please stop posting Best Buy horror stories. Not interested. Shop at best buy … assume the risk.

20. Robert Nagel says:

There is no such thing as “no interest”. Negotiate with cash and you will see a significant reduction in cost, roughly equal to the amount of interest which would be charged to the worst credit risk they are willing to accept. You may have to go to another store as the “no interest” store won’t want to mess with their promotion.
    There is no free lunch in this world.

21. BillyDeeCT says:

People still shop at Best Buy ??

22. Snullbug says:

Best Buy? Seriously?

23. bluline says:

Considering all the negative stuff people post about Best Buy here, I can’t imagine why anyone would choose to shop there.