Sony Sends Wrong Game Discs To Retailers, Asks To Get Them Back

Shaun White Skateboarding is coming out on Xbox 360 and Wii tomorrow, and was supposed to also hit the PS3 as well, but a last-minute snafu caused Sony to recall the discs.

Fist Full Of Potions obtained a memo last week from a “big named retailer” that said publisher Ubisoft noticed the wrong discs were sent out and told the retailers to return them.

Sony issued the following statement regarding the delay:

“There was a manufacturing issue with a misprinted disc at Sony Computer Entertainment America and the wrong version of the Shaun White Skateboarding PlayStation 3 game was shipped to retailers. We’re working with Ubisoft to correct the issue. New PS3 copies of the game will be shipped to North American retailers by Thursday, Oct. 28 and it will be available by that weekend.”

If you want the PS3 version of the game — those for the other systems aren’t affected — hold out until the end of the week to avoid the chance of purchasing a faulty copy that could potentially slip through the retail chain.

Shaun White Skateboarding PS3 Recall [Fist Full Of Potions via Kotaku]

Comments

1. BBP says:

I wonder if all five people of the people who are purchasing the game for the PS3 will be upset!!

In all honesty, they’re moving pretty fast to correct the problem and that’s very laudable. MIstakes happen and they’re on top of it.

2. Sarah Black says:

Phil, I’m curious as to why you wrote “big named retailer” instead of “Target”, as the apparent source of the obtained a memo…

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

He quoted actual verbage from the article.

• cardigan says:

Probably because it was speculation on the part of Kotaku. Nowhere in the original Fist Full of Potions article, or the memo, is the company named.

3. Marlin says:

So what was the wrong disc? Mayeb a better game?

• grucifer says:

I’m guessing a beta version or possibly even an alpha.

• TerpBE says:

They accidentally sent out Betty White Skateboarding instead. Players were getting upset when they realized you can’t get past the first level without breaking a hip.

• RogerX says:

Plus One.

But everybody knows Betty White could get to AT LEAST level 5, even at 89 years old.

• catnapped says:

Puh-leez…she could finish the game and beat some of the “kiddies” here over the head with a skateboard without even breaking a sweat.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

They forgot to put in the Hot Coffee.

• bigdirty says:

There’s the speculation about the firmware update that was contained on the disc, and the potential of a rollback hack. I’d also speculate that if it was a “Target” edition, that something went awry with bonus content on disc, but I’d still put my money on a rollback hack.

4. Ominous Gamer says:

I’m curious if this was a game breaking bug (beta build type thing), a different game entirely, or they found something that could be used to exploit the console, like some of their past games have allowed…..

• sqlrob says:

Given how Sony only reacts quickly to the breaks, I’m guessing you’re right on the money with that.

• vastrightwing says:

Sony? Quickly? Is this the same Sony that had root kits on millions of CDs and reacted so quickly to fix that? Although, they are quick to make sure they break the PS3 so no one can use their console the way they want.

• sqlrob says:

That’s what I said the ONLY thing they react quickly on is breaks. They don’t care about you (aka rootkit, oh and as a side note, did you know some of those disks had a Mac rootkit as well?)

5. Just Ducky says:

That memo had to come from Target (it mentions DPCIs, which are Target’s inventory numbers). I know because my friend worked at Target until last month.

6. Kim says:

I am pretty sure that I have this at home (at work now and can’t verify). I was shopping at Target this past Friday and found it in the clearance pile for $4.98, figured it was worth the $5 to get it and stash it for x-mas gift for the kids. Now what should I do with it????

7. jefeloco says:

If only 2K Games did this with Fallout New Vegas was fixed, but Obsidian never can release a working game so it never would have gone retail :(