PC Game Box Says It Supports Controller, Only Supports Version Few Have

Kurt says he bought the PC game Dead Rising 2 hoping to use his wireless Xbox 360 controller to slay the undead. Because the box indicated it supported the controller, he thought he was good to go. But it turns out the game is only compatible with the much less popular wired version of the controller.

He writes:

I just purchased “Dead Rising 2″ for PC and cannot get my Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows to work with this game. I chose the PC version to utilize my 3D glasses, that and the game was $20 cheaper than any console version. The box says “Supports Xbox 360 Controller for Windows”, and I just so happen to have a wireless Xbox 360 controller for Windows, so I figured I was all set.

It turns out I wasn’t. The option for controller in the PC Setup section is grayed out. I’ve since seen several references to this problem on line and none leading to a solution that doesn’t involve a third party program, controller emulation, hacked DLLs, etc.

Capcom sent this reply back to Kurt:

The game has been tested and confirmed to work with the Xbox 360 controller for PC (wired version). The development team is aware of the incompatibility with the wireless version. There has been no announcement made on the release of any update that would change this.

An attachment makes some PC games are compatible with wireless Xbox 360 controllers.

Do you think Kurt was misled and deserves a refund, or that he should have done more research before buying the game?

Comments

1. arsenicookie says:

it works if you get the wireless controller adapter… but i believe that’s been out of production for a while

• arsenicookie says:
      • Giolon says:

Is that any different than the receiver that comes in the “Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows” ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KA5T6A/ ) that he says he has?

• AI says:

The “Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows” includes both a standard Xbox 360 Wireless controller, and the ‘Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows’.

The ‘Wireless Gaming Receiver’ is of course, just the receiver part. For use if you already own Xbox 360 Wireless controllers.

• DashTheHand says:

OP states “…cannot get my Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows to work…”

This would mean that he has the version that did indeed come packaged with the wireless adapter. The link that you posted was the part for the controllers that were marketed for Xbox specifically and did not require the wireless adapter.

• DanRydell says:

Does it, are you assuming it would work? It sounds like he has the version of the controller that comes with the adapter (the one with “for Windows” in its name has the adapter included and comes in a different colored package)

• gamabunta says:

I just bought a knockoff wireless adapter from ebay and it works great with New Vegas. Ran me about 13 bucks and took 2 weeks to get stateside FYI

• MacUser1986 says:

No it’s still in production, I bought one a few months back for OnLive.

• AoE says:

As an owner of Dead Rising 2 AND a Wireless 360 controller for windows (with said adapter that I have used to happily play dozens of games) Dead Rising 2 does not work.

If you actually really own both the game and a wireless controller and have gotten them to work, please enlighten us, because I assure you, the rest of the internet has no clue how to get the two working together, and it’s frustrating a great number of it. And yes, I have tried the hacked dlls, etc… nothing short of xpadder works for me, but that’s a crappy solution for a Games for Windows labeled game. Part of the reasoning behind that labeling to begin with was to assure pc gamers that games published under the label would, among other things, support official Microsoft controllers.

2. jdmba says:

Why would he get a refund? It did not say wireless.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

It’s a reasonable expectation that when they say the generic description works, then all iterations work, especially when there are only a few iterations.

It’s not a consumers duty to research all the myriad nuances of a purchase. If it said it supports XBox 360 controllers, it’s reasonable to believe it supports the wireless one as well.

• Papa Midnight says:

This is not the only game that does this. Assassin’s Creed II does the same. I’m going to agree. In my opinion, if you advertise it, you should make sure all iterations are supported. Not some half-assed implementation. I personally have both the Common Controller adapter and the Wired controller. I find it annoying I have to defer to my wired controller because it doesn’t support my wireless one and on a GFWL title no less.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

It did not say wired, either. So by your logic, they don’t actually have to support either.

+1, Loias.

• damageinc says:

Actually the “Xbox 360 Controller for Windows” as it is stated is a specific xbox controller:

So it says exactly what it supports (the controller above) and there’s guarantee it will work with anything else.

• hansolo247 says:

Nice try, but they sell a wireless version for Windows, too…the receiver and wireless controller.

It WILL NOT work with that.

• NeverLetMeDown says:

Nice try. The “Wireless Xbox 360 Controller For Windows” is a separate product from the “Xbox 360 Controller For Windows,” with a separate name. It works with the product that it says it works with.

• AI says:

Nice try to you. The game is under ‘Games for Windows Live’. Any game branded as a GFWL game must support Xbox 360 Controllers for Windows, which, by the GFWL definition, is both the wired, AND the wireless controller.

From the GFWL website: “The Games for Windows brand on games means four key things:

1) Quality. Games for Windows branded titles undergo extensive testing, and not just by the publisher. Microsoft also invests in quality checking each title to ensure they meet performance and reliability standards.

2) Compatibility. Games for Windows branded titles work on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7-based PCs, including both 32 and 64 bit editions. Games for Windows titles that support controllers are also compatible with the Microsoft XBOX 360 controller for Windows, including the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. They even support widescreen resolutions and more.

3) Safety features. You can be confident that any title carrying the Games for Windows brand supports parental controls and family settings features in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

4) Easy to Play. Games for Windows branded titles are easy to install, find and remove, especially in Windows Vista and Windows 7. Every Games for Windows title appears in the Games Explorer (no more hunting around the start menu for that game you just installed). And Games for Windows branded titles all offer some form of “easy install”, putting you in the game more quickly.”

• JohnnyP says:

Then if that’s the case they should go to Microsoft and ask them why it doesn’t work. If they allow it to be be GFWL then they should have verified that. I say if the box specifies the name of the wired one not the wireless one but Microsoft says it should work then they are the ones that need to resolve this.

• Papa Midnight says:

JohnnyP makes a fair point. I look at Microsoft for this one. If they claim it has to support Wireless controllers to receive the labeling, why did it successfully pass inspection (granted inspection even occurred)?

I also ask this. If the Xbox 360 version failed to properly support the Wireless controller, would the uproar have been greater? Seems to me like picking your spots and more and more lazy development for the PC.

• Griking says:

I don’t even see where Kurt asked for a refund. Open software generally isn’t able to be returned to the place of purchase but many times the manufacturer will offer a refund. Did he ask?

• Pax says:

Nor did it specify wired.

At least where I am sitting (Massachusetts), the omission of that detail constitutes a material deficiency in the advertising, and Capcom would have to offer a refund – or deal with a little, tiny thing called “false advertising”.

• jefeloco says:

Microsoft advertises and sells their controllers as a basic “controller” and a deluxe “wireless controller”. It is unfortunate that the OP didn’t understand this but MS has been using this nomenclature for years. The boon is that the OP can get a standard controller used for about the cost of the adapter for the wireless one.

3. DanRydell says:

I don’t think Kurt was intentionally misled, but I think he should get a refund if they have no intention of making the game compatible with the wireless controller. A reasonable person would read that text and conclude that the wireless controller should work.

• El_Fez says:

I guess I’m unreasonable then, since I’m under no misconceptions that the 360 controller doesn’t work with my computer. Hell, this *VERY* conversation came up last week between me and a friend, who pointed out that Dead Rising was on sale and I countered that I wanted on the 360 mostly for the control scheme.

So no, he needs to suck it up and realize that not every wireless device will magically work with his computer.

• DanRydell says:

According to his letter he has this product: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows-pc/dp/B000KA5T6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288035821&sr=8-1 Which comes with the wireless receiver that allows you to use it with a Windows PC. I don’t think he’s just expecting a wireless controller to work with his PC. Capcom acknowledged that the game doesn’t support the wireless version.

• El_Fez says:

Okay, if that’s the case, if the controller works just fine with other games, then yeah – capcom is in the wrong.

On the other hand, if it’s just a quick two second fix swapping a DLL or something, I’d just apply the do-it-yourself fix and move on.

• Swervo says:

I have the same controller the OP has. Bought it as a package with both a wireless controller and the receiver, and it’s marketed as a Windows controller, not one for the 360. I assumed that it would basically appear to be identical to games, but that is not the case, as I learned when trying to get Assassin’s Creed to work with it (same with AC2, actually). From what I gather, the only *real* difference is which device the controller reports itself as, which really comes down to the text description and a GUID, otherwise it acts identically to the wired one, just for some reason some gaming companies (Ubisoft and Capcom, so far) don’t officially support it. *shrug*

• Michaela says:

Unfortunately, if the game has been opened, the company will usually not allow a return. Too many people could copy the game and try to return it with this person’s excuse.

• common_sense84 says:

Anyone can download the game for free from a number of torrent sites. No one pirates games by opening the box anymore.

Piracy is definitely not an excuse at all. Most physical games pirated in this way still require cracks. It’s far easier to download the already cracked versions online that are confirmed to work.

• Michaela says:

And yet, the reasoning (that the game may have been copied) still remains as one of the main excuses a store gives for not accepting returns.

• Bladerunner says:

Although that is a concern that they can reasonably have, in this case the original transaction was fraudulent (false advertising). Just as they couldn’t package Elmo’s Counting Adventure in a Dead Rising 2 box, then claim “No refunds!” when it’s opened, they can’t do that in this case either. It said it does something that it DOES NOT DO.

• RvLeshrac says:

That’s not a concern they could “reasonably” have. If he was going to pirate the game, he’d have done that already.

They simply need to ban his specific key, once they have the returned box, to ensure he’s not playing. If he cracks it at that point, he never intended on purchasing it in the first place, and they shouldn’t concern themselves with it.

4. cayton says:

Kurt should not assume that Microsoft’s wireless controller magically syncs with any hardware capable of running a windows game.

On a related note, do 360 controllers use bluetooth?

• jesirose says:

Really? Reading the sentence “Supports Xbox 360 Controller for Windows” is the same as “assuming|” and “magically”?

• cayton says:

I probably used words that were too harsh, but I would not have read that as ‘works with a wireless controller, no other equipment required’. If he has the controller DanRydall mentioned above, then I would assume it would work, and I would fight for a refund for either the game or the controller.

• NashuaConsumerist says:

No, it’s radio frequency. If it were compatible it would require a RF USB dongle.

• Franklin Comes Alive! says:

Umm… pretty much everything is ‘RF’. IIRC, Microsoft’s wireless controllers basically use bluetooth, but wrap some proprietary stuff around it that means you need special receivers to actually use them, and can’t just use a generic BT receiver.

• MrEvil says:

The 360 controllers may be in the 2.4Ghz frequency spectrum that Bluetooth co-habitates in but the 360’s controllers definitely are NOT Bluetooth in any way shape or manner. Just because the two share the same frequency band and both serve similar functions does not mean that they have anything in common with each other.

• KeithIrwin says:

Yes, it would require that. In fact, it does require a radio frequency USB dongle, and hey, look, it comes with one. Did you bother to look at it at all before commenting?

• DanRydell says:

• Papa Midnight says:

It is a proprietary RF transmitter / receiver.

5. Epsilon748 says:

Wait, I’m confused. Does he have the wireless PC adapter or not? I use my wireless Xbox Controller with the wireless adapter to play almost any games that make use of the controller with no problems. Now, if it’s not compatible WITH the adapter, I can see his point. But otherwise, he just didn’t have the right equipment to do it (as arsenicookie pointed out, you need the adapter to pair the xbox controller to your computer).

If he can’t play with the adapter, then he should be able to return it. If he doesn’t have the adapter and the controller will work fine with it, then he is just missing the required hardware.

• common_sense84 says:

At first it sounds like it is not compatible.

But then the response by the consumerist makes it sound like he doesn’t have the adapter to connect it.

So we are left with two questions:

Is the game compatible with the wireless controller?

Why does the consumerist pay staff to post stories that have no clue what they are commenting on?

• Pax says:

He specifically describes what he has as being the “Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows” … and those come with the receiver/adapter unit.

6. Dre' says:

Heh, I though hardware compatibility issues were the domain of PC gaming. Can’t help but laugh a little.

7. RogalDorn says:

I’m confused. Who buys a gamepad to play a 3rd person game on a PC? PCs are for the mouse and keyboard, consoles are for gamepads. If the game has a 1st person mode this makes even less sense. Was the game cheaper for PC or something.

No he was not mislead. he did however forget to use common sense. How in the world was his wireless controller for a console going to work on a PC, maybe with an adapter of some sort. If you want to do weird stuff like this you need to research a little before hand.

• Beeker26 says:

Many console ports to the PC play better with a gamepad. Not all games are designed for a mouse and keyboard.

• RxDude says:

If it’s on PC it should be designed for mouse and keyboard. Otherwise, developer fail.

• zigzagdance says:

On the PC, Resident Evil 4 doesn’t even use the mouse. You aim with the arrow keys.
          Capcom can go to hell for that one.

• AI says:

Really, every PC game should support a KB+M? I hope a bunch of flight sim enthusiasts beat you to death with their flightsticks.

The right controller for the right job, which, since this game was developed for consoles, is a gamepad.

• DanRydell says:

• Pax says:

I do.

For one … I have arthritis; my shoulders (and occasionally wrists and elbows) can get very sore after remarkably little time playing on a PC. Generally, for kb/m games, where your hands have to be constantly on the controls … I can play for two hours, maybe three at most.

Using my xbox controllers, either with my actual xbox or with my PC, however? I can put my arms in a more relaxed position, and my maximum playtime goes up to six or more hours.

For two, well … I recently bought Fallout: New Vegas for my PC. I played Fallout 3 on my Xbox 360. And … well, the KB&M control layout just isn’t intuitive for me; I’m used to what I’m used to.

And for three … KB&M is not innately superior to control-pads for any and all game types.

8. jaya9581 says:

I’m surprised at all the people blaming the OP here. 360 Wired controllers are pretty hard to find, as I know from experience when I recently was searching for one. I don’t see why there would be any difference between using a wired or wireless controller – just as there’s no difference between using a wired or wireless mouse. If I were the company, I’d probably just send him a wired controller.

• SonarTech52 says:

A wireless mouse comes with a dongle… you’d need one for the wireless controller also..

• SonarTech52 says:

second thought, i dont know anything about the xb360 controllers.. maybe they do have an adapter witht hem…I know the ps3 is bluetooth, so at least you would need a bluetooth dongle..

• Flashed47 says:

xbox controllers don’t come with one and are some other radio frequency that isn’t bluetooth. Even for bluetooth though, most desktops don’t come with it.

• Pax says:

Excuse me, but the Wirless Xbox 360 Controller FOR WINDOWS, does indeed come with a “dongle” that plugs into a USB port on your PC.

Misinformation for the lose, buddy.

• Flashed47 says:

Seriously? There’s no difference between using a wired and wireless mouse? I really hope that was sarcasm. In case it wasn’t though, one has a wire that connects directly to the computer and the other has a usb dongle that connects to the computer that receives the radio waves sent from the mouse.

The second one is where the OP didn’t think. He “forgot” to wonder how his wireless controller was going to connect to his computer. It is entirely his fault here. I have played racing games on my computer with an xbox controller and that was the first thing i though of. “how can i get my wireless controller to connect to my computer”

• jaya9581 says:

I just so happen to have a wireless Xbox 360 controller for Windows

Going by the information provided by the OP, I have to assume he actually has the Windows version of the 360 controller – meaning he already has all required adapters to utilize this peripheral.

Microsoft does sell two versions of this controller, one meant just for the console and one meant to be used on the PC.

• Swervo says:

Really? Do you run into a lot of situations where some piece of software only works with a wired mouse and not a wireless one? They appear identical to all applications, my web browser has no idea whether my mouse is wired or wireless and doesn’t care. I’m not sure how the presence or lack thereof of a wire changes how you use a mouse, but it sure doesn’t change a thing about how I use it.

• BBP says:

Wired controllers are hard to find? I don’t think you people are looking hard enough, because I’ve seen them at almost every Gamestop/Walmart/Target around here.

• jaya9581 says:

Grats? I recently was searching for one, and had to look pretty extensively to find a store that carried the wired version. Maybe you’re lucky. Most of my local stores only carried the wireless version. I found the first-party wired version only at a nearby (not my local) Best Buy.

9. RoadDogg says:
  10. tsmvengy says:

Sounds like he has the controller w/ the wireless adapter/receiver. If he has both then I would say the game SHOULD work and Capcom is full of crap. If the game advertises, “works with Xbox 360 Controller for Windows!” then it should work with both versions.

However, if Kurt only has the wireless controller and is expecting it to work with his PC w/o the adapter then he’s a fool of the highest caliber.

11. AI says:

Wait, what exactly is the issue here?

Is it:

A) Does this guy have an Xbox 360 wireless controller AND the wireless gaming receiver for Windows, and the game doesn’t support that?

or

B) Does the guy have an Xbox 360 wireless controller, and is expecting it to somehow magically connect wirelessly to his receiver-less PC?

If it’s A, then the game should bloody well support the Xbox 360 wireless controller when it says it supports ‘Xbox 360 Controller for Windows’, as Microsoft has sold both the wireless and wired versions as PC specific peripherals.

If it’s B, then the guys a dumbass. Wireless controllers need receivers to work. The 360 has one built in, your PC does not.

There was a time when Microsoft sold the receivers separately for $20 (and I bought one). Now though, the only place to find one seems to be bundled with a 360 controller.

12. Beeker26 says:

I think Kurt needs to buck up and use one of the alternative methods to get his controller to work.

• AI says:

The alternative methods do not actually get the controller working. The guide button will not work, and the two triggers will be bound to the same axis, making them useless.

13. Thresher says:

Dead Rising 2 has been released as a “Games for Windows” game. This is something Microsoft cooked up. If this game has that banner, then by definition, it is supposed to work with the XBox controller, wireless or wired.

From the Games for Windows site:

• El_Fez says:

Right – and the game probably does work. . . provided that you have the correct hardware. I can’t control Dead Rising with my television remote, I cant control it with The Clapper, why the hell would anyone expect it to work with a completely unrelated game system controller.

• AI says:

The Xbox 360 Wireless controller (w/ wireless receiver) is not unrelated. It’s exactly what the game is supposed to support per specifications as a GFWL game.

• jesirose says:

Do you even read at all?

“Games for Windows titles that support controllers are also compatible with the Microsoft XBOX 360 controller for Windows, including the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. “

• El_Fez says:

I did read it – and it doesn’t say if he has the wireless controller adapter and that it works properly. If he doesn’t then the error is between chair and keyboard and he’s out of luck. No refund for you.

If he does have one, then Capcom should have at least mentioned that it doesn’t work with wireless.

• levelone says:

Did you read the article? It says he has the Xbox wireless controller for Windows. Because they are made for Window and not Xbox, they come with the receiver. JFC, people can we pay attention? There is no f’ing confusion here.

14. amuro98 says:

I’m really confused here…

Wired? Wireless? Why does the GAME care about this? Isn’t this what DirectX and drivers are for?

If it says “360 controller compatible” I would indeed assume that would mean either the wired or wireless controller – and it shouldn’t matter which! Heck, it shouldn’t even matter what sort of controller you plug in there, so long as it has something that can handle all the buttons/sticks/levers/etc that the game needs. Even a flight stick or driving wheel should work to some degree!

Why is this different than, say, your mouse? Does the computer care if you’re using a wireless or wired mouse? No. Unless you need special functionality for some odd 4th mouse button or something, even the bog-standard Windows Mouse Driver works with any mouse.

So why is this different for game controllers?

Anyways, Kurt deserves a refund – the game doesn’t work with his hardware.

And people wonder why PC gaming is dying? Yeah, it’s because of junk like this.

• El_Fez says:

That little dongle plugged into the USB port on the back of your computer? Pull it out and get back to us on how well your windows comparable mouse works without it.

• mobiuschic42 says:

Where in this does the OP EVER say he’s trying to use his wireless controller without the adapter? I don’t understand where people are getting that from. He says has a wireless controller for windows – that means he’s got the adapter. I’m assuming it has worked with other games but does not work with Dead Rising 2. Let’s not assume to OP is a total idiot without proof.

• amuro98 says:

Reading Kurt’s article, the very fact that he mentions it’s only possible to use the wireless controller with this game by hacking the DLLs and drivers (SOFTWARE) also implies that Kurt is smart enough to know he needs – and HAS – the required wireless adapter dongle.

Furthermore, read the statement from Capcom. It implies that even if you DO have the USB-Wireless adapter to allow you to play OTHER games with your 360 controller, it STILL WON’T work for Left4Dead 2.

In other words, the morons at Capcom not only think there’s a difference AT THE APPLICATION LEVEL between a wired and wireless controller, but that the very presence of this wire is REQUIRED by their game! This is a software issue, not a hardware one.

• Michaela says:

Do you play many video games?

Also, if the seal is broken on the game there is little chance the company will accept a return.

• amuro98 says:

I’ve been playing games for over 30 years. I’ve also returned many games that just didn’t work (crashed, etc.) on my hardware. I never had a problem, even with stores that swore the wouldn’t take opened software back.

I simply asked for a manager if they gave me any problems. There’s no way they can refuse a refund if the item doesn’t work. If a store gives you guff about that, and absolutely won’t deal with you, there’s always chargeback or small claims court.

15. Andy says:

Actually you CAN use the wireless 360 controller, but you have to BUY the Wireless to PC adapter that Microsoft sells seperately. XBox 360 uses a special wireless protocol that PCs don’t have. You need an adapter then the controller (wireless one) will work with Dead Rising 2 PC.

• Pax says:

“Of course only IDIOTS play with a console controller on their PC, but to each his own.”

I just spent several hours playing Fallout: New Vegas on my PC … using an Xbox 360 (wired) controller. I got used to F)3’s control scheme, and the KB&M setup for F:NV just was not comfortable, nor intuitive.

So … fuck you, too.

“You need an adapter then the controller (wireless one) will work with Dead Rising 2 PC.”

RTFA,please: Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows

That one comes with the adapter. Check the second image (under the main one), here:

• graymocker says:

Sure… only “IDIOTS” who want to play console games at (1) higher resolution (2) improved texture quality (3) multi-monitor setups (4) 3D displays (5) awesome community-created mods, or some combination thereof, play them on the PC. What chumps.

I own gaming consoles. I use them party games and the occasional console exclusive, and they’re great for that. For cross-platform games, even those that use controllers, my $300 gaming PC delivers a better experience, so I get the PC version.

• Papa Midnight says:

Oh yeah, I guess I’m an idiot if I prefer to play Sports, Driving, Flying, or Platformers with a controller as opposed to a keyboard. Yup. I’m an idiot…

For the record, the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows COMES with the adapter. Dead Rising 2 does not support it. I have both the wired controller for Windows (aka: standard wired controller) AND the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows + Xbox 360 Common Control Adapter (aka the white or black dongle (depending on what you bought) that attaches via usb) AND the Play N’ Charge Kit.

Dead Rising 2 DOES NOT support the Wireless Controller out the box. Period. This is why Capcom has admitted to this.

Reading the damn article before accosting others might help one not look like an ass. I’m just saying.

16. d0x360 says:

This makes no sense. When using the wireless controller and the wireless adapter to connect it the pc sees the controller as a USB device so no matter what it should work.

17. TheGreySpectre says:

It works with the wireless version too you just have to get the adapter so that you can plug in the controller to the PC. This is entirely on the OP for buying a controller that doesn’t say it can connect to the PC.

The wireless and wired versions are seen the same by the computer once you get them connected, the game would not see a difference.

18. Span_Wolf says:

The wireless controller has ALWAYS required the dongle to play on PC. This isn’t new information.

19. valthun says:

After Dead Rising one had the issue with SD tvs not showing text in any way that was legible and they did nothing to resolve the issue, I had decided to stay away from this version.

That being said, if it says “Games for Windows” on the packaging it must work with all Microsoft peripherals, since the wireless controller is a Microsoft peripheral this is something that both Microsoft and Capcom failed to test.

20. Papa Nacho says:

Compatibility with Microsoft’s 360 Wireless Controllers using the USB dongle has been hit or miss. Other well-known games that required fan-fixes include Assassin’s Creed II and Bad Company II. There are dozens of these types of threads on Giant Bomb and other gaming forums. For reason, developers forget to consider the 360 wireless dongle, which maps the buttons/triggers differently.

21. Sonicjosh says:

I’d just use something like xpadder or the superior keyboard/mouse option.

22. common_sense84 says:

God I hope I am just reading this wrong.

But are you saying he doesn’t have the wireless adapter. Thus he isn’t even connecting the controller to the computer?

You need the wireless adapter to connect a wireless controller to the computer.

If that is all he needs, than this game is 100% compatible with the wireless controller.

23. t-spoon says:

This is Kurt’s fault. I think it’s pretty obvious that an Xbox wireless controller requires an Xbox to receive the signal, it isn’t magic.

24. The Marionette says:

He could always download Joy2Key to map the controller to the keyboard and the sticks for the mouse movement. I’ve done that with plenty of games that didn’t support a controller (or ones i’ve had).

25. Twonkey says:

I’m pretty sure that you’ve never been able to use a wireless 360 on the PC without some sort of adapter, so…I guess the moral of the story is to do better research? I dunno…

26. Right On says:

Well, Consumerist readers, you were real helpful here. 82 comments and the majority are from people that don’t have any reading comprehension skills. It clearly says he has the “wireless Xbox 360 controller for Windows” — FOR WINDOWS.

• Pax says:

Yep.

You know what it is, though? It’s people seeing “xbox”, and assuming the speaker must perforce be an absolute unmitigated idiot.

*sigh*

27. Sandstar says:

“An attachment makes some PC games are compatible with wireless Xbox 360 controllers”

What does this mean?

28. levelone says:

For the love of god and all that is holy, HE HAS THE FREAKING ADAPTER. He has the Windows version of this controller, you reading-comprehension challenged morons! It comes with the wireless receiver.

If you also read the other comments, you’ll see that Games for Windows Live are REQUIRED to support Microsoft peripherals. Capcom, the manufacturer, has admitted that it has not followed Microsoft’s own guidelines and has failed to ensure the game works as it is supposed to, nor are they willing to fix the problem. Microsoft, because they claim to guarantee Microsoft peripherals will work with GFWL, has obviously also not tested this game with the Wireless Xbox Controller FOR WINDOWS, or else the game would not have received GFWL certification.

Regardless of whether the game is opened, Kurt has a fine case for requesting his money back should he not be able to (or want to) find a workaround. By receiving the GFWL certification, the game is required to be compatible with his WINDOWS Xbox controller. Since the game does not meet the requirements it is supposed to meet, it is being falsely advertised as compatible with his controller.

29. Owl Says South says:

there is such a think as a cord you plug your wireless controller into a usb port. used for re-charging a battery pack. i imagine that would work just fine.

who needs a bloody wireless controller to play on a computer. if you can afford THAT large of a screen for your comp, then you can go buy a cheap ass wired controller.

• Pax says:

No, I speak from first-hand experience on this: that cord does NOT work the way you suggest.

What you are speaking of is the “play-and-charge kit”, and the problem is, no data is carried by the USB cable … just POWER, to be fed into the battery.

• The Marionette says:

Your imagination is pretty off because the cable doesn’t send any data, it’s strictly a power cable that allows you to charge the controller on the 360 or pretty much any usb port that supplies power.

30. sp00nix says:

I don’t see why it wouldn’t, unless the game is rejecting it. I have one it it shows up as a normal every day gaming device, works with any game that works with a joystick or game paddle.

31. zibby says:

This never would have happened on a Mac, PS3, etc. etc.

32. Tedsallis says:

A better question would be why do these games now come essentially chained to one company’s expensive accessory? Just a few years ago you could play PC games with ANY gamepad or joystick with a few in game tweaks (mapping buttons etc…) now you need an exterior program to map the controller to keyboard commands, a time consuming and tedious process. When I asked about this in reference to Fallout: New Vegas on the Steam forum the oh so non helpful Mod’s solution was to run out and buy a 50 dollar controller. How much are they getting kicked back off sale of these controllers by Microsoft??

• Pax says:

If you have Vista or Win7, you don’t need the windows-specific model of the controller. Just pick up any wired controller for the Xbox 360, and it should work.

If you have XP, you’ll have to hunt down the correct driver download on Microsoft’s site to get it to work.

And while those aren’t free, they’re not $50. I’m seeing $30-$34 on Amazoin, right now.

Not perfect … but, at least it’s a solution.

33. Dyscord says:

Um. The “Xbox Controller for Windows” IS the wired one. He definately should have done more research.

34. MrEvil says:

That’s a bit stoo-pid on Capcom’s part. Supporting a model of controller that to my knowledge is no longer in production (even for the 360 itself). On the other hand, why did Microsoft make the Wireless controller for PC any different from the wired one?

35. LMacConn says:

As a gamer who moved from XBOX 360 to PC several months ago (my wife likes the TV), I frequently use my wired XBOX controller to play games (lately Fallout New Vegas.)
    The obvious question I have is exactly how did this guy plan to connect his wireless controller to his computer? I’m not aware of a wireless receiver being sold anywhere.

36. LuisM111 says:

The Gamestop wired xbox 360 controller is pretty cheap ($28), works just fine for PC games, and is not the least bit ‘rare’. I own one of those and an authentic 360 wired controller and don’t really see any difference between the two.

37. pyrobryan says:

Seriously? It’s wireless. Do you have a wireless receiver on your computer to receive the wireless signal from the wireless controller or do you expect magical pixie gnomes who live in your hard drive to receive the signal? Would you expect a wireless router to work with a computer that didn’t have a wireless adapter? Would you expect any wireless transmitter to work with any other device that does not have a wireless receiver? Do you have any common sense?