What IT Does While On Hold With Blackberry Tech Support

The next time you’re on musical hold trying to get through to customer service, don’t get mad. Be like this IT guy and use it as an opportunity to express yourself through the transformative power of dance. You’ll feel less powerless and burn a few calories too. Watching this is the Law of Increasing Returns in action; each time I watch it, it amuses me more than the last.

Email ben at consumerist.com

Comments

1. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Is this the new numa numa guy?

2. truthandjustice says:

Combine this with the benefits of working at a stand-up desk and one can be swaying, shifting, AND burning calories all day long while working. Consumerist.com featured the benefits of stand-up desks a month or so ago, and I have been using and benefiting from one since.

Oh, Oh, Oh . . . inspiration moment. Mount a video camera aimed at my back from across my office and create a viral video of my physical perambulations throughout the day. Gotta go set it up . . . YouTube here I come. Ha Ha!

3. UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

Wait.

This guy got IT to actually make a support call?

Video must be fake.

4. jetsaredim says:

WIN

5. mac-phisto says:

dude, clean up your workspace.

• Preyfar says:

You’d hate to see *my* IT office.

My companies refuses to provide us with shelving, or storage space, but keeps insisting we put more and more and more and more stuff into your office with absolutely NO place to stack it. At all. And no matter how much you complain, you get no support, no help, just more and more junk to store. Eventually, all you can do is stack shit on top of shit, then stack more shit on top of that shit.

God forbid you have an avalanche.

We still haven’t seen Maurice since the monitor rack fell over a week ago. We can hear him screaming, but nobody can find him in the mess.

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

I’d have dumped/recycled all that cardboard. Any paperwork inside would be ditized if needed and shredded. Hardware would either be in normal service, operating in a testbed environment, or recycled/sold/otherwise disposed of.

Never allow your workspace to become the dumping ground for obsolete, or otherwise non-productive goods.

• Preyfar says:

I wish I could, but all that cardboard is full to the gills of stuff. If it wasn’t in there, it’d spill all over.

Despite working for a billion dollar + company, investing in some simple shelving and drawers is apparently WAY too much. I can’t throw out the crap on my own, or I would. Simple shelving would be great. It just piles up.

I can’t recycle the old gear (most has been EOL’d) because my company doesn’t want to spend the money to get somebody to take it away. They wait until Earth Day when Staples and Office Max offers free recycling, and hope that we’ll pack up our own cars full of the shit and make all the trips to remove the crap. We have entire rooms (offices) just FULL of used IT crap going back 5-10 years in some cases, but they’re too cheap to hire a group to take them out, and if we want to use the volunteer services, we’re expected to come into work at 3:00am (unpaid) to wait for the volunteer donation services to take it away.

• buckeyegoose says:

Got one better, when you “space” that was semi-cleared out that next morning you walk into it allready there or witness the mailroom/delivery guy stacking 20+ dell laptop and desktop boxes in the small space you have to “move” around in. As your boss then comes buy and says ” Oh Drew, glad ur here, as you can see heres your next assignment, and add to that also all the outher stuff i gave u yesterday, that i see you moved over there, is that done?but anyways if you can get that all done today i’d apreciate it.” And by done means setup,image, asset tag, ect plus handle the repairs he gave u and also take escillated tickets and assistance calls. FML

• mac-phisto says:

GAK! holy crap, man. see, i wouldn’t even be able to work in that. i’d be completely lost.

perhaps you can dupe accounting into allocating for some “storage server rackmount chassis” if you catch my drift.

• Conformist138 says:

Meh, that’s nothing. Working security for a large office building with several companies, you pretty much can tell where IT is- it’s the cubes filled with all kinds of hardware in boxes on the floor, or stacked on desks. When your job is to deal with all the computers and shit in the office, you get more than your share of items stacking up. I’d say this guy looks pretty neat.

6. blogger X says:

On an somewhat related note, who’s thinking of purchasing the Style for Sprint?

7. SomeWhiteGuy says:

What you don’t see is that Blackberry Support is doing the exact same thing on the other side of the line.

• minjche says:

+1 internets for you, sir.

• cosby says:

I was thinking the same thing.

Now if they really wanted a good long video they should film someone calling lexisnexis. I’ve waited for an hour and a half on the phone to get through to sales. The automated system could not verify the support contract and put me to sales who then transfered me to sit on hold for tech support again(after they verified I had support already).

8. aloria says:

I practice my moonwalking when I am on hold. Trufax.

9. ElizabethD says:

The butt-wagging near the end made my day. Werk it boi!

10. Macgyver says:

That was stupid.

11. jaredwilliams says:

I do that all the time! No one thinks it’s funny

12. BuddhaLite says:

Fake. Anyone that has ever had to call RIM knows it’s like beating your head against a wall. No one is ever that happy to call them.

• Preyfar says:

God forbid RIM asks you to remove the battery from a Blackberry so you can reboot it. That takes at least 5 minutes. Meanwhile, the RIM tech has finished two more rounds of Firefright in Halo…

• ChuckECheese says:

Calling Blackberry makes him sad, so he creates his own happiness through dance.

13. elangomatt says:

ok, I think the fact that I noticed the likely CDW box on the floor by the wall confirms that I am an IT dork too, though I would never dance to the hold music.

14. Froggmann says:

Yea, that’s about it. We gotta get our exercise sometime.

15. quirkyrachel says:

haha! It seriously does get funnier every time I watch it. I love the little booty shake at the end.

16. samandiriel says:

Amusing, but doesn’t this belong on Digg rather than the Consumerist?

17. Missing in Vlissingen says:

Wow… dancing baby is all grown up.