Metal Flakes Found In Lollipops

Better check your kids bags for Colombina Mega Pops this Halloween. A test of the lollipops found tiny metal flakes in them. Family Dollar has recalled the pops, which were also sold at a few other discount stores, and the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services has issued a warning.

The lollipops came in 28-oz bags with lot number 120979601171 or ELPACK #2 on them. The bags say “MEGA POPS” on the front and “Colombina” in the upper left hand corner.

The Department is investigating how widely distributed the pops were and is sharing information with the FDA.

Consumers are recommended to throw the candy away or return it to the store for a refund.

NCDA&CS issues consumer advisory after finding metal in lollipops from South America [ncar.gov] (Thanks to Jack!)

Email ben at consumerist.com

Comments

1. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Getting more with your dollar.

2. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Looks like Shards O’ Glass is branching out!

3. CBenji says:

I wonder if metal flakes make things taste better?

4. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Somebody should warn that slutty girl in the new Glee photo-shoot.

5. StuffThingsObjects says:

Oh, the irony.

6. AllanG54 says:

But, they’re great for people with anemia. A tasty way to get your iron.

7. danmac says:

Perfect…I was too lazy to put razor blades into the kids’ candy this year…it’s nice to know that the good folks at Colombina were thinking of me.

8. Robofish says:

At first I thought that bag of pops said Mecha Pops

• Battlehork says:

I would purchase lollipops that transformed into giant robots.

• CBenji says:

I have these Asian girls renting my basement and I can assure you that just about everything they purchase if not bought from an Asian market is bought at Family Dollar. They absolutely love it. I just had to explain to them why moth balls were not a good freshening the house item as they were putting them in the bathroom, and where they sleep. Apparently everyone uses them in Java for everything. I explained that napthalene or dichlorobenzene was the chemical in mothballs and it was really bad for you. I guess over there they don’t know these things.

9. ElizabethD says:

Another Colombian import hazardous to your health.

10. Power Imbalance says:

Who shops at these places?

11. packcamera says:

As a rule, one should NEVER EVER buy food from a dollar store. Last time I did, it was a 1 lb container of imported gummi bears. Only after I ate half of the box in one go (I was still in my sugar-junkie phase) did I see the notice on the bottom that warned that consuming any more than the suggested serving size (10 bears) would produce a mild laxative effect.

I’ve also seen sealed bags of dried fruits with live insects crawling around at another dollar store in my area.

• czarrie says:

The problem with a lot of dollar stores is that, being a dollar store, they tend to attract less-than-stellar people. The kind who kindly let old product rot on the shelf and make shopping a living nightmare. DG and Family Dollar carry a lot of name-brand products and generics produced by these same big-name producers — mind you, there are still a few products that don’t measure up to par in the taste department, but I wouldn’t exactly call them hazardous, just budget items for people who care more about being able to actually afford the product that what the country of origin is.

Spoiler Section / In my experience, there are a few things I would avoid in terms of the food, simply due to some bad experiences. Pampa produces a lot of very cheap fruits and cereals, all of which are of “acceptable” quality, but avoid any of their canned meat products, especially the corned beef — the stuff is basically congealed fat and I’ve felt ill after trying to stomach it before. The same for those “budget” jerky — okay, really, just avoid generic canned or bagged meat products altogether. Something about how they manage to make them so cheaply also makes them taste like you’re eating something that was never meant for human consumption.

Things to try: Store-brand anything else. Seriously. Check the package date, especially if it’s the last one, because sometimes the understaffed stores might be a little slow on the rotation (a chronic problem in this industry), but really, some of it is really pretty good, and at a price half that of the name brand. Since national brands have splurged on prices in the past few decades, it’s easier to produce something that can still make a slight profit, taste good, but have an insanely-competitive price. That doesn’t mean that some Chinese factory somewhere might try to cut corners in order to save a little money, of course (we recently had a memo concerning a misshipment of candles — “You may have received an empty box, a box of misc. items, or ‘Sticks’ ” — in which some stores were little getting shippers filled with tree branches. Go China)

There’s a lot of misinformation about this industry, but with the recession, we’ve had a little time to hone ourselves and our image. It’s never going to be amazing because we’re still a guppy on the food chain and we have trouble attracting even lower-middle-class consumers. I’d like to say we’re cleaning up our image and using better sources for our product, but only time and the market will tell if this actually turns out to be the case. Either way, the only thing we’re doing wrong is actually trying to be competitive in terms of pricing with the big W in the room — rather than simply cutting our losses and trying to, once again, cater to a wealthy audience like so many other businesses are doing. Eventually someone has to feed the low-income families, and that’s basically Walmart, us dollar stores, and whatever government assistance chips in.

Welcome to your America.

12. The Marionette says:
  13. czarrie says:

Pulled these a few weeks ago at DG, haven’t destroyed the product yet, will probably get the notice handed down tomorrow morning. Glad I found this article, we’re never actually told -why- stuff gets pulled — thankfully the system automatically locks out recalled product and prevents a POS sale the moment corporate hears any new about a product (thus the “we pulled these a few weeks ago” comment).

14. maztec says:

Don’t feed the Halloween Candy Hysteria (HCH)! This is a manufacturing defect. People have never intentionally placed metal flakes in Halloween Candy that was given to strangers.