122,000 Frigidaire Electric Cooktops & Ranges Recalled For Flame Hazard

One thing you don’t usually worry about with an electric stove is flames. But the Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced a recall of 122,000 Frigidaire and Electrolux ICON Smoothtop Electric Cooktops and Frigidaire Slide-in Ranges with rotary knobs and digital displays because of a possible fire hazard.

Per the CPSC:

Liquids can pool under the control knob and cause the surface heating element to turn on unexpectedly, heat to temperatures other than expected and then not turn off, posing a risk of fire and burn hazards to consumers.

As of now, there are 70 known incidents, including three reports of fires that resulted in property damage. Three minor burn injuries were reported.

This recall involves Frigidaire and Electrolux ICON smoothtop electric cooktops and Frigidaire slide-in ranges with rotary knobs and digital displays. Model and serial numbers for the slide-in ranges can be found inside the oven door on the left side of the unit or on the underside surface on cooktop models. See the chart below for the recalled model and serial numbers.

If you own one of these recalled items, the CPSC you should stop using it and unplug the recalled ranges or power off cooktops at the circuit breaker. Contact Electrolux (info below) for information on how to obtain a free repair kit.

Contact Electrolux at (888) 281-5310 between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. ET Monday through Saturday or visit the firm’s website at www.smoothtoprangerecall.com (Frigidaire) or www.cooktoprecall.com (Electrolux).

Frigidaire and Electrolux ICON Electric Smoothtop Cooktops and Slide-In Ranges Recalled Due to Fire Hazard [CPSC]

Comments

1. sven.kirk says:

Now you’re cooking with gas…
    Oh wait, it is supposed to be electric.

2. GrimJack says:

Wait, does this mean that Electrolux ICON cooktops are being made by Frigidaire?

Remind me to cancel my ICON order and buy an identical Frigidaire for 1/3 the price…

• Pibbs says:

Electrolux Appliances are the same as a Frigidaire. If you buy the highest end Frigidaire, it ends up being a few hundred cheaper than the Electrolux branded item.

3. Daverson says:

Nothing sucks like Electrolux!

4. Pibbs says:

If I recall, this was an issue that came out a couple years ago when I worked at Best Buy on these same Frigidaire ovens, and a recall was instituted. I guess whatever they did to fix it still didn’t work.

5. BuddhaLite says:

So there’s a free repair kit but does that mean someone is going to come out and install it for free?

• TardCore says:

Nope, my stove is under the recall. I got this message:

Your product model number ples389eci is included in this recall. Please enter your information in the fields below and we will ship you an easy to install kit with complete installation instructions within 2 business days.

6. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

It’s times like these…I wonder….what would Kelly Ripa do…

7. whatdoyoucare says:

Where is the serial number located?

• Daverson says:

The model number will be on a metal tag that is usually behind the lip of the oven door or bottom drawer, fixed to the front of the body of the stove.

8. RTWinter says:

Heh, I was talking with the appliance guy at work the other day, and he commented on this very model. He said he that he thought the design was unsafe as the knobs would be in reach of children. Never thought of that issue, though.

9. Rena says:

Liquid pools under the knobs and shorts them, turning it on? This makes me think of one supposed cause of the Toyota acceleration issues, that the signal line from the pedal could short. In both cases a short looks identical to just pushing it to max.

In both cases I find myself asking the same question: why is the input linearly scaled to the output? Scale it so the knob (or pedal) only goes up to 95%, which corresponds to 100% output. Then if the input reads over 95% you know it’s a short.

Another, perhaps more complex method would be to have the input be a square or sine wave; then you can detect a short when you suddenly don’t see a wave anymore.

If I can think of this, it seems odd that highly-paid engineers making cars and ovens can’t…

• RTWinter says:

Even simpler solution. Have some sort of pooling system so liquids don’t get into the knobs, or don’t put the knobs in a place where liquid can pool under them.

• shepd says:

Pooling system + damp sensor (very cheap). When the oven detects it, it could go into perma-fault mode until you pull the power, which basically means you get to make $$$ on service calls and the problem is solved (from a safety standpoint).

10. wimom says:

Thank goodness mine is not included (FES365ECE), even though it looks a lot like the one in the photo. I hate, hate, hate my oven. I will never buy one again. Does anyone like these ovens? They might be better than cooking over an open fire, but not much else.