Regret Buying That Groupon? Here's How To Sell It

This month saw a momentous occasion for me: group-discount site Groupon finally set up shop in the metro area where I live. What happens, though, when you buy a voucher from Groupon or a similar site that you later regret, and you’d rather have the cash? What if you move away before doing all of the amazing things you’ve bought vouchers for? Well, there are sites that can help you take care of that.

Coupon Sherpa evaluated a variety of the specialized sites cropping up that let users post second-hand group-buying site vouchers. They vary in security, buying protocols, and what city they cover. The downside is that some sites only cover sales a few major metro areas…for now, at least. For the rest of us, there’s always Craigslist.

5 Ways to Resell Group Buying Vouchers [Coupon Sherpa]

Comments

1. apd09 says:

I like Groupon but think they need to lay out specifics to the companies that they market for. I tried to make an appointment to get my car detailed next week, the guy said sure what exactly do you want done. I said I have a Groupon and it is for the full service. He pauses then tells me that since they sold so many of them they only allow a certain number of people to use them per week and the earliest he can schedule me for a Groupon detailing is Nov 16, almost a month away.

But if I was going to pay full price I could get in there no problem.

I did not realize that it was hard to sell or transfer a Groupon, even though it has your name printed on it I have never been asked to show an ID when using it. I guess I always figured Craigslist was the best way to trade or sell something like that, so these site are good to know. Sorry this is all over the place, but I have lots of thoughts about Groupon and what my impression was.

• georgi55 says:

Isn’t that against policy? Does the coupon say anything about limited #s? If not just call, schedule service without mentioning Groupon, and bring it up when you pay.

• apd09 says:

nope, no limitations, but as I wrote above in response to someone the coupon specifically states you must mention it when making the appointment. So if i do not mention it they do not need to honor it based on the info regarding How to use.

• Rose says:

Yes, it sounds like they’re violating their Groupon agreement. Just make the appointment and then haul it out when you pay. What are they going to do, refuse to honor it after they’ve done the work? (If they do, Groupon will refund you.)

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I wouldn’t have mentioned the Groupon. I would have just scheduled the service listed and presented at checkout.

Since they aren’t allowed to do what they are doing, I see no harm in you getting the service you paid for.

• apd09 says:

the coupon says you must mention it when making the appointment, so if I do not mention it they can not honor it because I did not tell them upfront about the Groupon.

2. spazztastic says:

Groupon gives refunds.

• kayfouroh says:

Last I checked they only do refunds for issues re: the company, like if they are out of business. I have 4 Paintball certificates I never am going to use and I’d love a refund but I don’t see any way to get one.

• absentmindedjwc says:

Hint: you might be able to ask for a credit ;)

Try calling customer service at 1 (877) 788-7858 and see what they say. They might all be gone by now, if so try giving them a call tomorrow or monday.

3. Rose says:

PROTIP: Don’t print it until you’re going to use it. If you haven’t printed it, you can get a refund.

• jessjj347 says:

Do they check to see if you’ve clicked the link to view the groupon, or how do they know if you’ve printed or not?

• dilbert69 says:

WRONG! Printing has nothing to do with it. If you haven’t used it, you can get a refund. I never print them because I use the iPhone app.

4. chipslave says:

While I have had good luck with all my groupons, I can see these becoming a nuisance like the restaurant.com certs and having all sorts of silly stipulations to use.

• Copper says:

I work at a restaurant that uses Restaurant.com gift certificates. We’ve been using it for six months or so and we’ve only had one problem and it was in the beginning. A group of two families came in together, sat together and then tried to use two coupons on their total bill of $60 including the tax/gratuity (which isn’t enough for two gift certificates anyway). I told them I can only accept one, blah blah and then they decided they didn’t like the food or the waiter and eventually posted a really nasty review to Trip Advisor with personal attacks about me and my employees. We got that taken down without a problem.

I contacted Restaurant.com and they were wonderful. A woman called me back within an hour of emailing them through the website and apologized profusely. She said that in the future if I wanted to honor both coupons, they would reimburse me for the value of both. I was very happy with the way they handled everything.

• jessjj347 says:

I perceive restaurant.com as a scam at this point. A lot of the restaurants they sell certificates to won’t even accept them anymore. They also have lost most of the partnerships that they used to have (in my area), so most of the restaurants left are not so great.

They also constantly have the certificates for 80% off, which to me constitutes a deal that is too good to be true.

• Eric Jay says:

I had some Restaurant.com certificates that I bought with one of their coupon codes. I think it came out to two $25 certificates for $4 each. I figured it might be a hassle to redeem (too good to be true, and all), but gave it a try anyway.

One of the certs was for a restaurant that ended up closing several months later. I contacted the website’s support department and had a credit in my account the following day. No resistance, no questions, just done. It was easy to apply that to another restaurant, too.

I’ve since used both of my certificates at restaurants in my neighborhood. We spent at least $35 (which isn’t difficult when I’m dining with friends), presented the certificate which the waiter took with a smile, and got a new check with a $25 discount applied. We paid for the rest and were on our way. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and hassle-free the whole experience was.

5. jdmba says:

That’s why I use sites like blackboardeats.com; discounts at restaurants and you don’t pay up front. My wife had recently bought a groupon for a local establishment because we knew would need to purchase something that weekend. Lo and behold, the establishment was “closed for renovations.”

6. Arcaeris says:

Wasn’t there an article on here (I know I saw it somewhere) where business owners were complaining about groupons and how they got screwed by the process?

I bet this guy sold way more than he expected, and then realized that if he filled the next several months with only discount groupon services, he wouldn’t be able to make his overheard or pay his employees or something. So he limits the number of people who can use it per day, and fills the rest of the time with full price customers to cover his business expenses.

Seems pretty reasonable to me?

• VeritasNoir says:

Nah, they are actually really up-front with the way the process works with business owners. It’s a great site.

• TWSS says:

You’re probably thinking of Posies, here in Portland, OR: http://posiescafe.com/wp/?p=316

The business owner admits she overlooked her own misgivings and warnings from others, but it also seems as though she wasn’t told about caps by the Groupon rep.

I’m pretty much off Groupon now, mostly because of the abhorrent customer behavior and resulting adversarial relationship described in the above link. Just last night I was at a local restaurant I had a Groupon for. There was only one other table occupied, and the drunk patrons got into a rousing bitch session with the owner about what dicks Groupon users were. It made me and my dining companion uncomfortable as hell, and my overactive guilt gland made me tip 30% on the pre-Groupon total, even though the service wasn’t excellent.

I’d rather go out less often than deal with that kind of drama and agitas while trying to enjoy a meal.

• MMD says:

I’m sort of sympathetic to this in principle…but if I’m a customer holding a Groupon and am told about a new restriction that wasn’t clearly advertised at the time of purchase, I’m probably not going to be a happy customer. It’s not my problem if the merchant didn’t think through all of the ramifications before advertising a deal. If the deal doesn’t clearly say “Subject to Scheduling Restrictions” or something like that, I’d say the OP is entitled to an appointment whenever there’s an opening.

• Rose says:

Groupon allows you to cap the number of purchases, so, in this case, my sympathy for the business doesn’t extend to allowing them to retroactively edit the terms of the contract that the business made with every Groupon purchaser.

7. soxfantoo says:

The time for the company to make restrictions on Groupon use is BEFORE the offer is listed.

Any restrictions, should be defined in the original offer.

Any company that treats a Groupon customer as a “second class citizen” should not be surprised when that customer does not return to buy more or to refer theri friends.

• dilbert69 says:

In all fairness, I think Groupon is a bad deal for businesses for this simple reason: When I get a Groupon, I use it, and then the next time I want to go out to eat, I go someplace else where I have a Groupon. I don’t go back to the first place and pay full price. Why would I?

• bravohotel01 says:

Let me guess: you *NEVER* eat anywhere that you have to pay full price, right?

I am going to surmise that for every restaurant, 99.999% of its customers are not like you. Most people go to a restaurant because of something other than having to pay full price.

It might be convenience.
        It might be the food.
        it might be the service.
        It might be the 150 gallon fish tank stocked exclusively with Orange Tangs.
        It might be the carpet.
        It might even be the parking!

8. dilbert69 says:

I have been able to get Groupon to cancel Groupons and refund my money on two occasions now.