Netflix Now Considers Itself A Streaming Company That Happens To Also Mail DVDs

Netflix is now an online content streaming company that has a nice little side business in mailing DVDs, according to CEO Reed Hastings.

In the management commentary on their 3rd quarter earnings report, he said,

Three years ago we were a DVD-by-mail company that offered some streaming. We are very proud to announce that by every measure we are now a streaming company, which also offers DVD-by-mail (emphasis added). In Q4, we’ll spend more on streaming content than DVD content, and we’ll deliver many more hours of entertainment via streaming than on DVD. More impressively, a majority of our subs will watch more content streamed from Netflix than delivered by us on DVD. DVD-by-mail shipments are still growing, but streaming for us is much larger and growing much faster.

That’s all well and good, now just get me some broadband that actually lives up to their advertised speeds and then we’ll be talking.

Q3 10 Management’s commentary and financial highlights (PDF) [Netflix]

Email ben at consumerist.com

Comments

1. ravana says:

I think that’s quite appropriate considering my average DVDs mailed out per week has gone down from 9 to 3. Thanks mostly to the fact that a lot of TV series are now available via streaming.

2. Shadowfire says:

I’ve got a DVD sitting on my shelf that I haven’t opened for over a month from Netflix. Their streaming, though? Every night.
    Ben’s got it right, though. My parents would love to use streaming, but their “high speed DSL” is around 56k speed.

• loquaciousmusic says:

I’m with you, Shadowfire. I’ve actually got two Netflix DVDs at home (weirdly enough — I’m on the one-DVD-at-a-time plan), and I haven’t watched them yet. I watch Netflix streaming every night, though, and I’ve also been enjoying buying seasons (especially Top Gear) from Amazon.com’s streaming service.

Getting rid of cable two months ago has been pretty damned awesome.

• anewmachine615 says:

This is my experience. The only problem is that there ARE some things I want that are DVD-only (Dexter Seasons 3 and 4 call to me…) but they’re behind the one DVD I’ve got that I keep meaning to watch…

• YOXIM says:

Yeah, I’ve got a Blu-Ray that’s been sitting on my shelf for at least six months, possibly longer. I keep meaning to watch it, but there’s just too much awesome stuff being streamed : )

3. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Friends of mine came over and were all hot and bothered to stream a Netflix movie via my HTPC onto our 67″ LED DLP and our 7.1 surround system…convinced it was going to be a life-changing experience.

It was crap. The quality of the picture from the stream is probably about VHS quality…absolutely not DVD quality. It was very apparent that you were getting a compressed feed. Reckon the sound was fine…

…and I’m sure it’s probably not a big deal if you’re streaming on, say, your laptop sitting in bed. On a small screen the compression probably doesn’t make any difference. But there’s not the slightest chance it’s worth any money at all to stream that to a large TV.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Was it a Starz stream? What was the download quality set to?

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

I’m not the expert on it…but my friends (who have used it since, like, the day it came out) were all agog about it, and validated that everything was the way it was supposed to be.

It just flat-out didn’t look good. And that’s all there is to say about it.

• BStu78 says:

And its not the fault of Netflix. I’m sorry you find this so hard to believe, but the problem had to be on your end because what you experienced is simply not what other users experience with the service. But since quality can be impacted by the end-user, the deviation can be explained. Just not in the way you want to explain.

Maybe your internet service provider throttles streaming video. Its far more likely than Netflix actually sucking and all of us not noticing.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Agreed. The fact that other users with different (and as the YouDidWhatNow? seems to imply, inferior) equipment have experienced good quality streaming means that obviously the end-user has something to do with the quality. You can’t blame it on Netflix if other people are obviously happy with the service. Personally, I’m streaming via PS3 and it’s fantastic. HD quality looks really good and crisp, and even SD is good and smooth.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

If that were the case, other streaming sites would look just as bad.

I can watch an episode of a TV show from the network’s website, and it looks better than Netflix did. Granted that…it can’t be my equipment or internet service.

• BStu78 says:

And yet, it is.

No, not all streaming content is the same. Netflix automatically delivers quality acceptable to your internet connection. Your internet connection is what is failing. Not Netflix. I’ve seen the quality drop in streamed videos on Netflix when my connection weakens. I know what you are talking about it. And its not Netflix. Its you. Or at least your ISP. I’ve streamed content off Netflix to my PS3 that was blu-ray quality. If my connection speed weakens, sure, I’m screwed. But that’s not the fault of Netflix.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

“Netflix automatically delivers quality acceptable to your internet connection.”

If they think they’re doing that, then they’re doing it wrong. Hence, the fact that other streaming video services look better than they do.

• E. Zachary Knight says:

A large chunk of their streaming catalog is still only SD quality. They do have a good number of HD videos, but not all of them are. Using my Wii to stream SD content and displaying on a 32″ HDTV through component cables, everything looks fine enough to enjoy. It comes out about DVD quality picture. We don’t have surround sound at the moment, so I can’t comment on sound outside of stereo works.

• grucifer says:

Sounds like it’s probably an internet connection issue and not a Netflix stream quality issue.

I’ve watched plenty of HD content from Netflix on large TVs and the quality has been excellent.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Don’t think so. Our DSL was working just fine that night, and out of curiosity they tried it again the next day with a different movie. Same thing.

• PSUSkier says:

I really do think it has to be your Internet connection. I have a 60″ 1080P via an Atom/ION HTPC and the picture quality is damn good for streaming. Compression artifacts? Yep. Can it hold a candle to my x264 mkv movies? Nope. But in a pinch it does look damn fine, certainly not VHS quality.

It isn’t. As noted above:

“The internet connection categorically isn’t the problem…as on both ends of that movie we had 4 people in the house all playing WoW at the same time without any latency or connection issues, and they also tried another movie at a later time just for giggles.”

Other video streaming sites look a lot better…like CBS for example.

• Skeetz says:

CBS’s flash based files are much smaller so that equals quicker download. Netflix streaming HD says they do about 2 gigs an hour whereas CBS is probably only around 500megs.

3megabits can only download 375kb per second so really do the math. That’s just about 1.2 gigs an hour. That’s at optimal speed which you’ll never get..

• grucifer says:

Like someone else said, maybe it’s what you’re using to stream the content too?

I use my xbox360

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Tri-core Phenom. 8Gb RAM. Radeon 4870.

If you don’t know what those mean, basically it means that my HTPC is top-flight…a hardcore gaming rig, since I use it to play WoW on the big screen.

I should also note that streaming videos from other sites…like watching Mythbusters for example…is vastly better than the Netflix was.

The problem, categorically, is Netflix.

• grucifer says:

Hmm sounds like it, interesting really. That’s a shame the quality is sucking for ya, I guess only thing left to ask is how long ago was this? I know I’ve noticed improvements from as far back as a year ago.

Sorry, just wasn’t familiar with the term HTPC! I’ve got a Q6600 4 GB ram and an ATI 5770, quit WoWin a while back though. :-)

• jefeloco says:

You’re right, it is Netflix basing your stream on available bandwidth. I only have an advertised 7 Mbps DSL line (realistically running 4-5 in the evenings) and Netflix will randomly reset the quality from three-four-four (HD)-four(HD) all in the span of a twenty minutes in the evening while other streams remain HD and smooth. Any other time of day I get a constant four bar HD stream.

Your speed may not be a problem with any other service or game but it IS a problem as far as Netflix is concerned.

• Portlandia says:

I watch tons of netflix on my 52 inchg HD TV and they look like DVD quality to me. Sounds like an equipment or internet quality issue.

I’ve been very impressed with the service and the quality of the downloads.

• Eyeheartpie says:

I’ve run the SD quality streams on 42″-60″ HDTVs, and it is actually better than SD TV from my cable provider. I’m gonna go ahead and put in another vote for it being your internet connection. The reason I know this is because I used to have Uverse, and Netflix streaming quality on 42″ was awesome. Then I moved, and I got DSL to avoid Comcast, and the streaming quality sucked. Then I got married, and 2 people using the internet for various mid to high bandwidth was too much for DSL, so I got Comcast, and now the Netflix streaming is back to being awesome.

It could also be the device you’re using. How are you streaming Netflix? Via laptop connected to TV by HDMI/DVI? Or standalone box?

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

My HTPC has a tri-core Phenom CPU, 8Gb of RAM, and an ATI Radeon 4870 video card. In other words…it doesn’t get much more high-end than that.

Connected via HDMI to the same 7.1 Onkyo home theater reciever that everything else goes through. Also, note that the HTPC is also our Blu-Ray player, which works fabulously.

• Eyeheartpie says:

Streaming is actually much more bandwidth intensive than online gaming. Gaming has some back and forth, but streaming has a massive amount of down traffic. What speed DSL are you on?

Like I said in my post, I used to have DSL, and doing nothing else, the Netflix streaming quality sucked. I could also play WoW AND set up streaming, and WoW would play fine but Netflix would still look crappy. Maybe I’d get a couple more instances of stopping to buffer when playing WoW while watching Netflix, but that’s probably because I only had 3mb down/.768mb up.

Since it’s not your HTPC, I’m going to have to go ahead and definitively say it’s your internet connection. DSL is just not sufficient for streaming, and Netflix adjusts quality based on your internet connection. Hence, bad connection = bad quality streaming.

• Geekybiker says:

+1 on DSL not being enough for streaming at top quality. Its rare to have DSL with the required advertised speed let alone actually reaching those speeds.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

No, streaming is not more “intensive” than having multiple online gamers all running through the same connection.

At any rate, if it was my available bandwidth, why would other streaming videos look a LOT better than Netflix? Watching an episode of a TV show from the network’s website looks better than Netflix does. Therefore, we have all the bandwidth we need for proper video streaming.

• misterkisses says:

HD nature documentaries streamed on Netflix are beautiful. The problem is definitely you, not Netflix.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

I love how people keep missing the point that I keep making about OTHER VIDEO STREAMING SERVICES LOOKING BETTER THAN NETFLIX.

If the problem had anything to do with my equipment and/or internet connection, then ALL streaming video would look bad. ALL OF IT FROM ANY SOURCE.

However, while I’m not going to confuse an episode of NCIS from CBS.com with a DVD of the same episode, it’s considerably better looking than Netflix.

So please, enlighten me and the rest of the world (who apparently thinks I’m lying) as to how, exactly, I could be the “problem” when other video services look better than Netflix.

Because that would be great if you could do that, rather than just tell me that I am the problem. Perhaps I’m watching it wrong…I’ll send a tweet to Steve Jobs and see if he thinks that’s the case…maybe he’ll send me a giant rubber band to put around my TV.

• CBenji says:

Explain what you are watching these “other” streaming video services on please? You say you are watching CBS, and stuff from Steve Jobs. What are you watching these things on? Have you tried more than one device?

• technos says:

Streaming *is* more intensive than online gaming.

I used to do two Everquest sessions over 56K dialup, and have done multiple WoW sessions over ISDN and EDGE cell connection. Many people still do WoW over dialup. In an hour of raiding, with two PCs, I’d be hard pressed to move more than 35 megabytes of data per hour playing WoW.

Compare that to a DVD resolution H264/AAC stream at 750 megabytes per hour, or a real MPEG2 DVD stream at 2000 megabytes per hour. You could put almost 50 WoW players in the same bandwidth as one H264 stream, and almost 120 in a DVD stream.

As to why other streams look better, that can be any number of factors. Hulu, for example, does frame-rate decreases instead of lowering the video quality. You get a 20fps movie instead of a 30fps one. If you pause it, it looks better, but you’re only seeing the same (max) amount of data in both cases.

• quail says:

In the systems I’ve messed with as an amateur I’ve discovered a couple of things. DRM is built into the solid state systems of a lot of things. If something within your home theatre system feels that a feed is being diverted for copying purposes (i.e. your laptop identifies as a recording device) then it will give you a crappy picture if any picture at all. The other thing is that some connections within a device might not be as good as others. A friend’s system gave him troubles too and he thought it was a problem with the DVD player he had. Finally convinced him to plug it directly to the TV and discovered the problem was with the sound systems AVI connection. One set of connectors were bad and caused a grounding fault with the speakers.

Try plugging directly to your TV.

But like everyone else has said it’s probably your ISP. Side note: Don’t some ISPs throttle bandwidth for some sites? Isn’t that what got a lot of attention on consumerist some years back?

• pot_roast says:

“The internet connection categorically isn’t the problem..”

Well, yeah it is, and you’ve had a dozen people back that up. I’ll be another one. Your DSL line isn’t adequate enough for Netflix HD. Sorry. Netflix HD with my Roku looks and sounds fantastic, but I have a 35mbit/35mbit FIOS package. ANd yes, I really do get those speeds consistently.

• Geekybiker says:

What sort of connection do you have. Netflix wants 5-6 megabit for its best quality. HD video looks nice streaming. Top quality SD is noticeably softer than DVD. That’s unfortunate. I wish they had a higher tier SD stream for those that can support it.

• diasdiem says:

A.) How fast is your Internet connection? Netflix determines video quality automatically by connection speed or signal strength.

B.) Was there anything else using bandwidth at the time? If so, pause the pr0n downloads while you watch.

C.) Is your Netflix device on a wired or wireless connection? If you can, connect it with a wired connection, as your wifi signal can be weak. I actually bought a wireless network card for my PC so I could move my cable modem into my living room and have a strong connection.

D.) What type of device are you using? Newer Roku players can play at better resolution, the Wii isn’t HD, and the PS3 now supposedly goes up to 1080i. I watched a movie with my PS3 the other night and I thought it looked pretty sharp.

In any case, your mileage may vary.

A. 3 meg

B. Nope. At that time, the HTPC was the only machine on in the house, and Netflix was the only thing that was happening on it.

C. Wired.

D. As noted several times before, the HTPC has a tri-core Phenom processor, 8Gb of RAM, and a Radeon 4870 video card.

…and on top of all that, other video streams work better than Netflix on the same *everything*

The problem, categorically, is Netflix. Especially considering it was tried a day or two later just to make sure it still sucked. It did.

• PunditGuy says:

12 meg cable, Xbox 360 = SD streams are frequently DVD quality or better, HD streams blow DVD away. Some of the Starz SD widescreen stuff is ridiculously better than DVD.

Oh, and streaming is a lot more bandwidth intensive than gaming. You could probably do your WoW stuff solo on dialup and have the same experience — you’d have to have 10 people playing and doing the most bandwidth-intensive thing possible in-game in order to get to the same requirements of even a low YouTube stream.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

…explain why it is that other streaming services look better than Netflix then?

If Netflix thinks they are “tailoring” the quality to my connection, they’re doing it wrong and making me not like their service…

• PunditGuy says:

Whatever Silverlight wrapper they’re using doesn’t scale well to slower speeds. 3 mb ain’t going to cut it for quality streaming, but those of us lucky to have higher speeds are rocking some great looking instant TV. You can upgrade your pipe and join us, or stream something else. Or just keep bitching, if you’d rather.

• diasdiem says:

It would be nice though if you had the option of getting higher quality at the expense of having to buffer for longer. There have been times when I’ve been streaming on my laptop wirelessly while working on something else with my desktop PC and the wireless signal would only allow me two dots for quality. I’d much rather have it buffer for five or ten minutes and then look nice than start watching immediately.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

If you have a Roku, you can force the box to buffer longer and get a higher quality stream. Many people with internet connections that can’t guarantee consistent bandwidth use this work around.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Try a _good_ wireless router. They start around $80. I have NetGear and my bro has Cisco/Linksys dual-band N w/QoS.

• Squot says:

That’s not really the attitude to have. 3mb isn’t even ‘mid grade’ internet – it’s maybe high-end base (base usually being between 1.5-5, sub-base being 768-1.5, mid is 5-10, high being 10+) So what they’re doing is letting you watch your shows (admittedly at less quality) without buffering. /That/ is why they’re doing you a favor. Don’t blame them for your lack of connection, they’re doing their job just fine.

• Squot says:

You just answered your own question. Netflix is looking for 5-6 Meg for high quality streams. You have three. The reason it works on other services is because they don’t throttle the quality based on your speed so you don’t have to stop and buffer. Maybe you’re lucky, and CBS won’t have to stop and buffer, but when netflix initally tests your speeds, it finds them half of what they should be for optimum video, then adjusts the picture accordingly.

It’s the same reason I can get crystal clear Hulu on my laptop, and sometimes it needs buffering and sometimes it doesn’t, vs. Netflix that sometimes looks like a VHS but never has to buffer.

The reason it doesn’t do it on all channels is that Netflix can be streamed – without buffering – from a 768kilobit connection just as much as a 10megabit connection. So it’s not your awesome system, it’s not the size – jsyk, what you’re seeing would still look mediocre (although possibly not HORRIBLE) on a laptop system.

Netflix also recalibrates your uplink to the slowest speed, iirc, which means w/ DSL, it’s problematic.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Our stream looks fantastic. I’ve never noticed any reduction in quality at all.

• Rose says:

Mine’s wifi to my 50″ 1080 plasma and it’s great. Just as good as my up-whatever-better-quality DVD player, if not better. And we don’t even have the best cable plan. We have like, the medium cable plan.

• Nick says:

Wait, you have a HTPC with a tri-core Phenom CPU, 8Gb of RAM, an ATI Radeon 4870 and your internet connection is D S L ? Why don’t you have U-VERSE or FiOS? Sounds like a laptop is probably your best bet for streaming if you’re going to stick with DSL.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Um, my guess would be that the reason I am on “D S L” instead of FIOS or U-VERSE is because those services aren’t available to me.

Just a guess though.

• jason in boston says:

You will indeed notice the difference. I have a DLP projector at 110″. Streaming “sucks’ on it. On my 42″ LCD, it is passable, but move to the projector and streaming is unacceptable. Then again, most blu-ray rips suck when blown up to that size.

The sound coming from streaming was terrible as well. Upgrade sound Netflix (I know, it’s coming).

• FREAKHEAD says:

That’s unfortunate. We use our Playstation 3 to stream Netflix to our 40″ 1080P television it is at a minimum DVD quality with many shows/movies better than what I had via “HD” channels on our satellite. We have now disconnected the satellite service b/c of Netflix and Hulu.
      I do pay $60 for my 10Mb connection though as I need that for my job but the cost is still lower than my Satellite bill even if I didn’t.
      Netflix is simply adjusting the quality to match your network speed.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I’ve noticed that Starz Play especially on Netflix is extremely bad quality compared to everything else on the streaming side. Most of the other stuff isn’t bad, and the bf and I even watched a movie that I noticed was available in HD. The problem I have is slow intertubes. If it were faster I’d love it.

And they’ve dropped the price of a Roku box from $100 to $60. I may actually get one.

4. zantafio says:

Problem is: more and more Netflix subscribers will hit their ISP’s data transfer limit.

I don’t stream every night, furthermore I disabled Netflix HD mode (my PC is too old), and yet I already reach half of my Comcast allowance.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’ve wondered about that too. I have Comcast but we don’t yet have the bandwidth meters in my market.

We gave up cable TV over a year ago and do a lot of streaming via Netflix. So far, we haven’t been contacted by Comcast, so I’m guessing we haven’t hit our limit but I’d be curious to know how close we’re getting.

• PSUSkier says:

Tough nuggets for Comcast. Their whole reason for this modeling is because 1 tenth of one percent (just pulling that number out of my butt) were running torrents 24/7 and “ruining their network.” As more and more people turn to streaming media, they’re going to have to revisit those numbers.

• WinHac says:

My comcast cap is 250gb a month in july aug I was at mid 300gb a month. Is there really any penalty for going over?

• TasteyCat says:

I’ve heard stories of Comcast giving you only one warning and then putting you on probation, cutting you off if you go over again. Your mileage may vary.

Beats my last ISP, though. The town owned a utility company which basically had a monopoly over electric, cable, and Internet. In addition to interrupting your connection if you were downloading too much at once, they also charged if you went over your cap. Since I left, they have significantly increased their cap to 250GB. If you go over that, they charge $3 per gig. Reminds me of the server hosts back when I was hosting websites back in the late 90s, where it was easy to spend hundreds or thousands a month on overages (nowadays, I have such a ridiculous amount of bandwidth that I never use but 1/4th of it).

5. deathbecomesme says:

Thats funny because I now consider McDonalds my favorite gambling establishment where I also get fries, a burger, and a drink when I gamble. Its nice to have that little extra for your money.

6. Alex says:

It’s all well and good that they’re spending more on streaming than on Blurays-by-mail, but I think their streaming movie selection is horrid. Get more new releases and I’ll think about dropping my by-mail subscription. And the ‘wait 28 days’ BS the studios are pulling is a load of crap. I don’t want Universal’s B-movie archive if it means I have to wait a month to see a movie I missed in the theaters.

• Rose says:

You mean a month on top of the time that you already had to wait.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

The B movies are most likely part of a package deal. The studios can say “okay, I’ll give you all of the Hitchcock collection, but you need to take House of Killer Clowns I, II, and III as well” and what can Netflix do about that? Not much. It wants to increase the quality and quantity of streaming titles, so it has to take the great classics with the terrible B movies.

Blockbuster used to stock a ton of crappy B movies. I’m sure Blockbuster, if given a choice, would have stuck to the titles that created a lot of traffic, like classics and new releases. But the studios dictate that, not the retailers.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I don’t care about waiting. I already waited that long to see it. If I had wanted to see something that badly, I would have gone to the theater.

7. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I love the additional streaming, as long as I can actually get DVDs in a timely manner for what is not streamed.

Also, when will you stream everything, instead of having a rolling catalog?

8. RipCanO'Flarp. says:

Netflix+Roku= what the hecks a DVD?

9. B* says:

One day I’ll tell my son about the old days when you had to wait, sometimes a whole week, to watch your show. And you couldn’t choose the episode. And there were commercials constantly interrupting you. And you couldn’t pause it or watch the rest later. And if you missed it, there was no way to see it again unless you caught a rerun. And you could only watch it on your TV. And if two shows were on at the same time, you had to pick one. And you had to walk uphill both ways….

• Rose says:

…in the snow, barefoot.

• Murph1908 says:

And when you wanted to change the channel, the person who didn’t have the cat on their lap had to stand up and walk over to do it.

But also, we’ll get to tell them about how movies used to be shown from 1:00-7:00 AM instead of informercials. And how the Kardashians and Snooki weren’t getting paid for being stupid and annoying.

10. aloria says:

There is nothing on streaming I want to watch anymore. Nothing. I have watched the crap out of everything. I hope Netflix makes good on their promise to get more streaming content soon, because right now the only things I’m interested in seeing are DVD only.

11. Rose says:

Netflix users always knew this. :)

12. fatediesel says:

If Netflix is a streaming company why don’t they offer a streaming only plan?

13. Portlandia says:

Yeah, I pretty much consider myself a netflix streamer who happens to have a couple of their physical Disks. I’ve been sitting on the same two disks for the past year. Can’t remember what they are or where they are at the moment.

I pretty much use my Roku device exclusively.

14. Dustbunny says:

Oh, you crazy kids with your fancy streaming! I like my Netflix DVDs.

Now get off my lawn.

15. Brunette Bookworm says:

And this is why Netflix beat Blockbuster. Netflix actually sees what’s going to grow in popularity in the future and targets that while still maintaining good service for it’s existing customers.

• webweazel says:

Agreed.
      Netflix changes things to make them better for their customers = what’s good for their customers. This is how they grow and prosper as a company. Blockbuster, I hear, had a good online deal in the beginning, but then turned it around to: Blockbuster changes things to make them better for Blockbuster = what’s bad for their customers. Watch those customers blow away like fall leaves from the tree, and sit slack-jawed and wonder why it happened.

• human_shield says:

Maybe, but I quit Netflix and am now a Blockbuster customer. I don’t want to wait a day or two for my movie, Redbox has terrible selection, and Netflix streaming is horrible now that they switched to Silverlight.

I will be upset if my local blockbuster goes out of business.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

So I guess you haven’t heard that Blockbuster has declared Bankruptcy, will be closing thousands of stores, and in a matter of time will most likely simply cease to exist.

• human_shield says:

Yes, I heard, and it will suck! Mainly because they already drove all the other video stores out of business. So basically all that’s left is mail order or streaming to my 19 inch computer monitor. Lame! Grr.

16. Thyme for an edit button says:

I love getting the streaming content on my tv via my Roku!

I still like getting the dvds though and the turn around on them is pretty quick. All around good experience with Netflix.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I want to get a Roku, since they dropped the price. I still like getting DVD’s in the mail, though.

17. framitz says:

I emptied my Bluray/DVD queue a month ago. Hopefully there will be a streaming only rate soon.

18. Bsamm09 says:

I’ve had Sherlock Holmes forever. Stream every day also

19. Nick says:

Have you seen Netflix streaming content? It’s free and there’s a reason; the movies, excepting documentaries, are crap. So I guess, by association, Netflix is now a crappy movie company. Looks like HBO will have some competition.

• diasdiem says:

Your taste in movies is crap. Their online collection is awesome.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

They have most of the Hitchcock collection – I wouldn’t call that crap at all. netflix also has a lot of independent and foreign films that would have never made it to the light of day were it not available on Netflix. Independent documentaries are being streamed as well – I had never even heard of Afghan Star, but I was able to watch it because it was on Netflix.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

I bought DVD set of Hitchcock for $5. The source was low quality B&W so it looks bad streaming or on DVD.

I’ll agree that Netflix has a good selection though.

• Rose says:

Agreed. Your taste is crap. Their selection rocks. It rocks for my cerebral tastes, for my girly girl’s tastes, for my kung-fu boys taste, for my history-loving son’s taste, and for my weird husband’s taste. That’s alot of tastes more than satisfied by Netflix, so you must be the weird one. :)

20. El_Fez says:

Hell, I’d just be happy with streaming video that didn’t look like total ass. It’s fine on my crappy computer monitor – I expect things to look like Youtube and hulu there – but on my big screen? DVD is the only way to go.

• quail says:

Thankfully Fios is in my area or I might have to agree with you. But with Fios streaming Netflix via Wi-Fi to my PS3 and then to my TV via HDMI cable I get high-def that’s just as good as my Blue-Ray discs. (I’ll concede that technically it isn’t but I swear if you didn’t know where the movie was coming from you couldn’t tell the difference.)

21. DraconWolfX says:

The only reason I have Netflix is for the streaming. I haven’t ever actually rented a DVD from them since I’ve had the subscription.

22. dush says:

Hopefully they will get more movies on streaming quickly.

23. myCatCracksMeUp says:

I’d love it if Netflix could get the full series of all the old 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s tv shows.

They have all 7 seasons of Adam-12 :), but only part of season 1 (and none of later seasons) of Highway-66. :(

• HogwartsProfessor says:

That would rock. I love Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley, and they stopped running Gilligan’s Island anywhere, and I would LOVE to watch some of the old drama and sci-fi shows. I want the Six Million Dollar Man!!!!!!!

24. NotEd says:

This is all well and good, but if they go this way they really have to allow streaming from multiple queues in an account.
    Right now my account has 2 queues, the original, which was my wife’s, mine, which is a secondary queue.

Currently we have all our streaming titles on her original queue and only get DVDs from mine on a 2 disc plan. It works, but it is hard to keep track of and makes it difficult to keep neat, since one queu can’t tell what the other is doing.
    Add to that the orphan titles in our primary queue that were added before streaming was available (and are only available on a physical disc) and it does get a little confusing.

So, to sum up: streaming good; queue organization bad.

25. evilpete says:

Whem will there streaming selection catch up with their DVD selection?

26. vastrightwing says:

I think Netflix’s collection is fine. My problem is that now I find myself allocating over 6 hours/week watching shows and movies where I used to not watch more than 2 hours/week. They have a ton of stuff to watch. I seriously doubt I’ll ever be able to see 1/1000 of their collection, ever. But I’m glad it’s there. There are some really good gems if you take the time to look. On the other hand, if you only want the big hollywood blockbusters, then you’re eating out of the studio’s hands, and you’re going to pay. Good luck.

27. human_shield says:

Interesting. I quit Netflix because after they went to Silverlight, videos became glitchy and unwatchable.

28. psm321 says:

Too bad. I really like the DVD business model but hate the idea of streaming content as a primary source. Yes, I know I’m in the minority

29. CookiePuss says:

Its not the advertised speed from ISP’s that keeps me from Netflix, its the bandwidth caps. My dinky ISP has 80GB download caps per month. HD encoded movies average around 4GB, so maybe 20 movies per month. And thats if I don’t use my connection for anything else at all.

I’d love to use Netflix and cancel cable but I simply can’t with such low caps. It truly sucks not having any other ISP alternatives in the area.

30. tehvalerie says:

So I guess *that’s* why they still haven’t gotten Modern Family on Bluray… I’m all for Netflix adding more streaming content, but considering I stream from my non-high-def Wii, I hope they don’t stop adding new Bluray content as well.

31. Cleo256 says:

I just hope they don’t neglect their DVD selection. I’ve already encountered one movie I wanted to watch that was only available via streaming. I forgive that because it was a little indie movie I’d never heard of until it popped up in a search (TiMER, starring Emma Caulfield. I liked it quite a bit and recommend it). But I hope that doesn’t become the norm for a long while.

32. TimSD says:

I think it’s hilarious that netflix.com has been down most of the day. Only thing they can do right now is ship DVDs…

QUOTE:

We’re sorry, the Netflix website and the ability to instantly watch movies are both temporarily unavailable.

However, our shipping centers are continuing to send and receive DVDs so your order is in process as usual.

Our engineers are working hard to bring the site and ability to watch instantly back up as soon as possible. We appreciate your patience and, again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you need further assistance, please call us at 1-877-445-6064.

33. Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

If only I could get my husband to stop asking me what the price is for whatever movie we’re currently steaming. Every time I tell him it’s included in the monthly charge, but the next time he asks me again. He thinks it’s an iTunes or Amazon, or most likely, the Blockbuster a mile down the road.

34. quirkyrachel says:

Ant yet I can be humming along watching season whatever of a TV show on Netflix streaming and suddenly find that the last 5 episodes are only available on disc!

35. Nekoincardine says:

As long as DVDs are still overall treated well by Netflix, I will be happy. (Alaska + Streaming = sad. )

36. dumblonde says:

If that’s what they’re saying then it’s a complete slap in the face that they still refuse to stream to Puerto Rico, US territory with US dollars and under the regulatory umbrella of the FCC.

37. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Yeah, I really should get around to sending that Rush Chronicles DVD back. I’m using it for background music in my house.