Comcast Installs Cable By Draping It Across Yard

Reading this story, I imagine that on September 1st, the Comcast worker was standing there on the lawn, looking at the cable he had just installed for the two octogenarians. The cable went from the cable box to the house. It lay on the yard like a large, immobile black anaconda. He crossed his arms and said, “Yep, that looks about right,” and drove away to go eat a sandwich. The cable has now been lying out there for almost 2 months.

Yes, two octogenarians are fuming mad because Comcast decided to install their cable by laying it across their yard.

Nearly a dozen calls later, Comcast said they would bury it but never did. A supervisor said that the paperwork got lost in a bin.

After getting prodded by a local reporter, Comcast has now moved the cable behind the shed so it’s less likely to get tripped own. They say they’ll send someone out in a few days to stuff it in the ground. Just as long as no sandwiches get in the way.

Elderly couple in Providence Township wants Comcast to bury cable line [Lancaster Online] (Thanks to Sherri and Joel!)

RELATED
Comcast Installs Cable In Your Gutter, Across Your Driveway

Email ben at consumerist.com

Comments

1. PSUSkier says:

I was just in Philly and saw a billboard that essentially said, “We know we sucked, but we’re doing a lot more to suck less! Xfinity!” Good to see that’s really working out for them.

2. Booger of Love says:

This happened to us. Comcast laid our cable on top of our yard right along the fence. We only found out about it after two days of trouble-shooting with tech support and discovering that the yard guys severed the cable in half with their lawnmower.

3. tkmluv says:

Wow. That just happened to my parents. Comcast ran the cable across the grass from the house to the street. The thing is that the cable didn’t even need to be replaced. Everything was working fine before they replaced the cable. It has been a few weeks now and they still have not come to bury it.

• HeroOfHyla says:

I had a similar situation. Comcast spent a couple hours laying new cable across the rocks before checking and realizing our connection issues were due to a faulty modem. It took them a couple weeks to bury the new cables.

• dg says:

Just run it over with the lawnmower… Keep doing it until they bury it properly…

4. WiglyWorm must cease and decist says:

From what I’ve seen of cable installs, the technician generally isn’t the guy who buries the cable.

Every time I’ve seen cable run (which in my area would be by time warner), an independent contractor came a couple days later to bury it.

The trick is that Time Warner actually communicated that with me and followed through. Something Comcast clearly has failed on.

• fatediesel says:

I had the same situation. My cable was dragged across the lawn but my cable company (not Comcast) had an independent contractor bury the cable. It took about 3 weeks and I had to make sure and remember the cable was there when I mowed but it’s buried now.

• MrSnarkyPants says:

Same here. I think when Time Warner sold our system to Comcast all the good employees went with them. The only way I’ve ever had anything fixed in a reasonable amount of time is to have the @ComcastCares twitter team in Philly shame the local staff into doing their jobs.

• TVGenius says:

Also, in a lot of cases, before they can go trenching, they need to get the other utilities to locate all their other stuff. Natural gas lines don’t hold up well to a Ditch Witch.

• s73v3r says:

Why don’t they just send out the team that buries the cable in the first place? Why send someone to just lay it across the lawn first?

5. jason in boston says:

I don’t see this as a problem. You can see the pretty wire that allows you to have overcompressed hd and a 250 gig/month limit.

I don’t know if I believe the “lost in a bin” excuse. Don’t repair jobs get sent electronically?

• Xene says:

It was marked as SPAM and deleted

• u1itn0w2day says:

The job or service order, work order or invoice was either incorrectly entered into ‘the system’ OR was simply entered as completed so somone could get credit for a job and/or keep the local regulators happy by meeting ‘timely’ installation requirements.

• Geotpf says:

It’s quite possible the guy who actually does the work merely has a clipboard full of printouts. Those printouts can, and frequently do, get lost. It’ll still be on a backlog somewhere marked as incomplete, if anybody bothers to look at it. Or what the guy with the funny name that ended in “day” said is what happened.

• Difdi says:

Windows recycle bin?

6. ShruggingGalt says:

This is standard operating procedure of every cable company. OSHA classifies the act of burying a cable in the ground to be “excavation”, which is not a standard job performed by a cable installer. As a result the company could be fined by OSHA and face massive penalties for having a worker do work outside of the normal job duties imposed by their workers comp provider. That’s why another employee/subcontractor has to do the cable burying.

• Fight Back Against David Horowitz! says:

Is it “standard operating procedure” to let the work order to bury the cable languish for over 2 months, give the customer the runaround, and then claim the order “got lost” when they get unwanted attention for their lackadaisical practices by reporters?

Oh, it’s Comcast, so to answer my own question, yes.

• kenskreations says:

I have Wildblue network and the installer not only installed the dish but buried the cable. He put it in conduit to insure that nothing broke the cable. Then sealed the ends to insure no water was able to get in. I don’t think OSHA has anything to do with it. When I used to work, OSHA could only define safe working conditions, not what you were able to do (as in requirements).

7. MitchV says:

This happens all the time… they need one group of contractors to connect the lines and another group of contractors are tasked with burying them. It almost sounds like a unionized work-flow.

8. DanRydell says:

This is normal. Another contractor will come to bury the cable. Took a couple of weeks when I had my cable installed.

9. JohnDeere says:

the guy that does the install can not bury it until the utilities come out and mark the locations of the utilities. that has to happen b4 comcast can bury it.

• WiglyWorm must cease and decist says:

At least in my region, that’s not true… they use a wheel-on-stick type device that buries the cable a few inches under ground, the other utitlities (and we have all our phone, electrical, etc., underground) could hardly care.

• JohnDeere says:

thats what happened when i had comcast install mine a couple months ago in tennessee. the week following the installation the utilities came and painted lines all over my property and in the road in front of my property. then the following week comcast came and buried the line.

• kw531 says:

It takes 2 days at most for utlilties to be located after they are notified. If they are delaying the burying of the cable just for locates, then they are just being lazy.

10. balthisar says:

Same report as the others here. When Comcast replaced the line from my pole to the house, the installer ran it across the ground, and explained that a specialized crew would bury the cable. The next day, Comcast called to let me know that workers would be out in two weeks, and they did, and they buried the cable. The only grief was moving the cable so I wouldn’t run over it with the tractor.

11. thor79 says:

This has been happening for a long time. Like, 8 years ago, my dad and I moved into his current house. He ordered Comcast to be installed, and it was installed. Just like the story, it was draped across the lawn. The lot is about 1/2 an acre and the right side of the lot is a field where our septic field is buried. Comcast didn’t know this though, so they had no reason not to bury it. Their contractors doing new installs are just incredibly lazy. We called numerous times to get it buried, but I just got fed up having to lift it up while mowing the lawn, so I just took a spade and lifted lifted up about the first inch of soil under the grass, and placed the cable, all the way from the pole to the house. Every time we have issues and tell the support guy who comes out what happened, they are never surprised. They know how shoddy the work is that their new install contractors do. They’re always going out to clean up after them.

• thor79 says:

Ok so maybe this isn’t an example of poor work done by the contractor. That’s right they have to have another crew come out and bury it. In this case months past and no crew came out to bury it. That’s why I took it upon myself to bury it myself.

If you want an example of shoddy work by contractors: We had our net connection knocked out because one of the contractors had been splitting our line 6 ways from Sunday and dropped the signal level so low that our cable modem couldn’t make a proper connection.

• Nisun says:

I used to know a cable contractor… and from personal experience they dont care. They just want to get a “job” done as fast as they can..

• u1itn0w2day says:

The machine or person that does the burying is supposed to take it down at least 18″ to avoid things like tripping on it or catching it.with a lawn mower. In most cases someone doesn’t want to loose productivity stats so they do a half butted job. You also have lazy or unfamiliar techs that don’t bother to use manual labor when the machine won’t take it down far enough.

12. chargerRT says:

You’d think installation would be an important part of Comcast’s business, but that’s what you get for thinking.

A few years ago, we had a problem getting Comcast service in an older condo. (Surely SOMEONE had cable service there in the past 30+ years.) None of the contractors could figure it out. They opened every wall plate, searched all around the building…couldn’t find a live connection. I did find the junction box for a former master antenna system–which had it still worked, I would have used instead.

“Our upstairs neighbor has Comcast,” we said, “so there must be a live connection somewhere.” Guess what happened next!

One really brazen contractor went upstairs and asked the tenant there (not the owner) if he could tap into her connection, and drill a hole in her bedroom closet to get the cable down our wall. Amazing. And of course the answer was NO. We later apologized to our neighbor for that.

We called to complain to Comcast, and have learned at least in Jacksonville, to insist on having a “Comcast employee” come out, instead of a “contractor.”

Long story short, we got Comcast service working, and not from siphoning off a neighbor. It was still a half-assed effort, but it worked where we needed it.

13. razz4901 says:

Call your local police department and report a utility cable being down, they may be able to prod the utility into action (this works in some cases)….also call your local Public Service Commission or Public Utility Commission and file a complaint…the squeaky wheel gets the cable buried.

14. rocklob says:

I’m surprised this made it into the news because this is almost standard operating procedure for Comcast. When my cable went out a couple years ago, Comcast ran a new line to my house…across my yard! When I complained about it, they sent someone out a few weeks later who merely snaked the bright orange cable between my and my neighbor’s fence. Every subsequent time that I called, they claimed that someone would be out “in a couple weeks” to properly bury the cable. After waiting over 6 months, I removed the cable and switched to Fios.

15. jdmba says:

When I bought my house and had cable installed, the cable installer decided to drill straight through the wall – outside to inside, to run the cable. My broker called mid-install to make sure I knew to tell him not to do that, and I put them on the phone together. The call dropped, and the installer took that chance to run; and when I say run, I mean it literally. He left his tools, toolbox, and ladder.

That last fact made it much easier to get the cable company to send THREE people to properly redo his work.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I think that’s SOP with cable installers. I’ve looked at many older homes and it’s very common for the coax to be bored straight through the brick & plaster and straight to the TV.

I learned the hard way that you’re much better just installing it yourself. Free installation is free for a reason.

• jason in boston says:

Indeed. Pay an electrician $100 to do a proper install that you will never have to think about ever again.

16. Scurvythepirate says:

So did anyone read the story and find this part funny?:

….pulled onto his parents’ street in the Spread Eagle mobile home village….

Spread Eagle? Really?

17. u1itn0w2day says:

The cable company could bury it. You might need certification on that equipment but you don’t need a construction crew to excavate and/or bury it. There is a machine(entrencher/trencher) similar to an aerator which basically will entrench the cable approximately 18″ give or take. Unless it’s new construction you don’t have to go down 6′ as in most states. There is also a machine that can push the cable/burrow thru the ground .

Something doesn’t sound quite right. If they need to bury it did they leave slack or enough slack. And the fact it might have to disconnected and then reconnected doesn’t sound right. It sounds like someone from comcrap decided to close out or record this work order as done.

• Crim Law Geek says:

And when your rented entrencher hits the gas or water line buried 17″ down, it will be you, and not Comcast’s Contractor’s insurance that will be on the hook for all the damages. It will also be you who gets fined for digging without calling out the utilities to mark their buried utilities.

• u1itn0w2day says:

I’m not saying bury it yourself. As matter of fact in most states until the utilities are in or on the structure that’s the utilities or comcrap’s property/responsibility. That drop laying in the yard is comcraps responsibility.

Yes calling for a locate or identification of any of their lines in the area is a good idea. Actually tracing out utilities is not that difficult per say in that most will not loop around the structure ie they come in off the street or nearest pole.

Although it’s not the homeowners job or the other utilities techs you can figure with in a reasonable degree of certainity where the other utilities are by tracing back from where there meters,boxes and valves come into the house or are placed on the house. Unless a drop was rigged at one time or another most neighborhoods are fed the sameway ie if most houses are fed from poles on the street most houses on that block will be fed the sameway. Not recommended but the best way to start locating utilities yourself is trace back from where the utilities start in or at your house then look for the other utilities poles and manholes. But again that is not a homeowners job.

It is absolutely the best policy to call for a utilites locate which is one call in many states.. Many times they’ll even tell you over the phone if there is anything to worry about. As techs for Comcrap or contractors they should know basically how most of the utilities are layed out in a particular area and wether to check on a status of a locate request-or at least explain to the customer.

• Crim Law Geek says:

Oops, misread your original post. That said, you are putting a lot of faith in the Comcast/Contractor cable installers. These guys are the very bottom of the utility totem pole. I barely trust them not take their eye out with the crimp tool, much less know where and how my other utilities are buried.

18. Blueskylaw says:

“A supervisor said that the paperwork got lost in a bin”

How big was this bin again?

19. blinky says:

I believe comcast’s digging crew is different from its install crew. From my experience it will eventually get the cable buried. After the first dozen mowing accidents.

20. CharlesFarley says:

I had this problem once, after a month of calling I figured the cable couldn’t be that important. I would call them and tell them I am going to mow the lawn and I am not going to move the cable as I am not in the Telecom Workers Union and would never dream of taking work away for a union person.

After I chopped up three of them, the burried it.

21. katstermonster says:

I’m too distracted by the fact that the article mentions they live in the “Spread Eagle mobile home village.”

22. daemonaquila says:

They did this across my parents’ back yard when I was still in high school. My dad and I had great fun with the mower. They didn’t get the point, so they kept stringing it through there each time without any plans to bury it (which they freely admitted). We kept mulching. It was kind of a dad/kid bonding thing.

Eventually, they ran it elsewhere… across the ground… where the neighbors were patient for a couple months, then adopted our strategy. They finally looped it through a chainlink fence between properties, and still didn’t bury it for another year.

23. JayPhat says:

I have lived in my current residence since September of LY, and I have TWC. I have a BRIGHT ORANGE CABLE drapped across my backyard from the pole all the way to my house. At least it’s easy enough to see when I mow so that it can be moved but TY TWC or you quick burying service. I’m half tempted to get a chainsaw to bury the thing.

24. VectorVictor says:

Actually had Comcast run cable across our lawn and driveway to a neighbor’s house, and not just in the utility easement part, but our actual yard. Asked the neighbor about it, and they said it would take up to a week for the cable to be buried. Asked the neighbor if they could prod Comcast along, as I would like to do yard maintenance (mowing, weed eating, tree installation) without having to worry about the cable, they said they would try.

Two weeks later, I had to mow (got a warning from the HOA for both yard and the cable. Went to the neighbor, they said they called Comcast and they pushed it out to the next month. I advised the neighbor my patience had run out, the neighbor gave their blessing, and the cable was ‘accidentally’ mowed over and cut. Multiple times.

Comcast came out the next day and buried the cable properly.

25. sqeelar says:

Are there no trip and fall lawyers in Philadelphia?

26. duncanblackthorne says:

When I moved into the duplex I’m currently living in, the cable was buried — about 3 inches in the ground, diagonally through the front lawn. It wasn’t any good anymore. It took 2 months to get them out there to reinstall the cable, and then they did it in a crack in the driveway, which they filled in with cement. Comcast sucks, if I had any other choice I’d go with it, but I don’t. :p

27. ovalseven says:

Actually, he hadn’t “just installed for the two octogenarians”. He installed it for their neighbor. It’s not even their own cable in the yard.

28. tsdguy says:

As is being pointed out, Comcast contracts out this specialized task to a sub-contractor. They use a special trenching device to punch a tunnel under the ground so it doesn’t disturb the grass very much. However, what hasn’t been pointed out is that before this can happen, most communities require your local underground utility survey unit to mark underground utilities. In my neighborhood, all utilities are buried so it took some time for these to be located, the information to be relayed to Comcast, then this info to be relayed to the cable contractor. It takes some time.

• ovalseven says:

Comcast used nothing but a standard shovel to bury the cable in my mother’s yard. It’s about 5″ below the surface.

29. techgeekwill says:

I had this happen about 3 months ago.

Came home to find no TV, no Internet. I called Comcast and reported an outage, told it would be at least 24-48 hours to determine the cause since no other homes we’re reporting an outage.

A little infuriated that this was the case, and I couldn’t occupy my son by streaming Barney from Netflix, We went out back to play outside.

As soon as we walked out the door, he pointed out the long black cable sitting in the grass running along the side of my patio. It went from the cable post, through my fence and into my neighbors yard. This was about a 75ft run, and the cable was tight enough to trip someone.

They had disconnected me, to hook-up new service to my neighbor. I promptly pulled the new cable, spooled it up and hung it on my fence, then re-connected my connection.

Here’s where it gets Comcastic – That cable sat spooled up hanging on my fence for 2 months, then someone jumped my fence (I had put a lock on the gate after that) and re-connected it and left it lying there again. Since I’m somewhat of a self-professed A-Hole, I pulled it again.

It was another 2 weeks before they sent out some workers to bury the wire. Sure enough, they wanted to dig up my yard to bury the cable. I refused. My neighbor had just spent a boatload of cash on her yard, and I figured she wouldn’t mind having it torn up, since this was for her entertainment pleasure.

Anyway, long story short, it took a total of 2 1/2 months before the cable got buried. Just another Comcastic experience.

• yzerman says:

I don’t blame you for being upset they disconnected to but Comcast f’d up and you should have called and complained instead of touching that box / connection and screwing your neighbor over isn’t very neighborly of you.

I don’t know about your yard but my phone, electrical and cable are all underground and on my property. They are common access points reachable to withing 5 feet of the edge of my property. I am pretty sure by law they are allowed to freely access those boxes.

I notice a lot of people put fences up in my neighborhood who forget that these areas are supposed to be accessible, if not for drainage and for these type of boxes so if you fence is blocking it off you might be fencing off area you shouldn’t be.

I am just waiting for the day the city decides to clear a path down to the drainage area on my property and take about about 15 fences along the way..

Just something to consider.. you might want to check with your local codes..

30. vastrightwing says:

Comcast, just change the orange cable to green and it will disappear into the scenery. How difficult is that?

• Glenalth says:

Those orange cables are supposed to be buried. They have an extra corrosion barrier in them for just such a purpose. If you’re seeing more than the end and possibly a service loop coming out of the ground, somebody screwed up.

31. psyonn says:

My brother ran into this with the club he manages. It is a union problem. The guy running the wire is in one union and not allowed to bury the cable as it is a different union job, so all the first can do is run the line if the hole is not dug, or come back when it is; but then you have to wait longer for service. You can argue why they cannot do both at the same time, but the jobs require differing amounts of time to complete (the digging taking longer) – so the line-man outpaces the digger. Unless you can get them to merge, or create a seperate union, there is no good answer other than a non-union contractor licesnsed to do both.

32. dsgnomite says:

My sis in law ordered Comcrap onetime and I instructed her exactly where to have the cable come into the house. I had paid an electrician to install a wall jack, cable jack and phone specifically for the placement of her flat screen. All the guy had to do was go down in the crawl space and pull it up through the wall. He gets there, tells her he can’t do that, drills through a wall and leaves her with 10 feet of cable running it across the room in front of the kitchen doorway. He tells her he gave her extra so she can run it up and over the door frame. Personally, if they don’t install my cables right, I cancel the service.

33. yzerman says:

It’s very normal for them to drop a line and run as the tool they use to bury the cable is managed by a separate contractor. I had the same issue at my house and basically after a few calls they finally came out and buried it.. This is nothing new.. I don’t really see a issue here other than someone who wants to complain about something..

34. JiminyChristmas says:

Three bits of wisdom I have gathered:

1. Yes, the cable installer will run the cable across your lawn and a different crew will come bury it later. If you live in a northern state avoid ordering new cable service in the late fall if possible. If the ground freezes before the trenching crew gets there they won’t be back until April when everything is thawed out.

2. They don’t bury the cable very deep. In one instance I found the cable while digging with a hand trowel to plant flowers. It couldn’t have been buried more than 4 inches.

3. Regardless of the absence of a utility easement, Comcast doesn’t seem too concerned with making sure the cable to your house stays on your property. The easiest route from the pole to my house veers across the property line into my neighbor’s yard, so that’s where the cable went. Not knowing it was there, my neighbor chopped through it with a shovel while doing some planting. Even better, the evening he did this was November 4, 2008. That’s right, just as the Obama vs. McCain election returns were rolling in I lost all tv and internet.

35. Sepp_TB says:

I worked for a contracting company a few years ago, burying cable (for Adelphia and Time Warner at the time, not Comcast). I wasn’t union, but it would take a while before we could bury cable after it had been installed. The installation guy just runs the cable into the house and hooks it up, but as other comments have noted, another crew has to bury it.

Burying cable can be rather dangerous, both to the people burying and to your house. You’ve got gas lines, electric, phone and who knows what else buried under there. Someone for every other utility has to come out and mark where their stuff is buried, and that is only the utility stuff! We loved electric dog fences that homeowners didn’t tell anyone about, or that nice standing lamp outside “Hey, do you know which direction and how deep the line to this lamp is? No, no idea?” We had special equipment to trace various lines ourselves in those cases. Cutting your phone will suck for you. Cutting your power will really suck for you, and for the person burying it (its -supposed- to be in a heavy metal conduit far deeper than anything else, but often isn’t). Knicking the gas line? Very bad. Dodging that poorly buried line to your lamp that is trying to kill us? Lots of fun. That’s why a special crew buries it, not the guy who plugged it in.

36. hypochondriac says:

I know easements exist, so they can run lines through your property, but don’t they have to be buried? Legally if the homeowners were to cut the cable, would they get into trouble?

37. Kevin says:

Charter did the same thing at my parents’ place here in VA.

38. Tucco says:

Comcast installers are lazy. My parents had them come out to install an outlet for their cable modem. They guy wanted to install the outlet on the opposite side of the room because he didn’t want to go in the crawl space to install it the right way.

39. drburk says:

They will tell you to call and schedule a bury appointment which usually takes 4 weeks.

40. zombie70433 says:

When we moved into this house, Charter had the cable running in the street. It was along side the curb, but it was still above ground. Took a few phone calls to finally have them bury it.

41. The Marionette says:

Umm.. what does the people being in the 80′s have to do with installing cable? Reading that reminds me of.

Reporter: And in today’s news, a bank foreclosed on someone who didn’t pay
    Crowd: BOO!, they should pay up like the rest of us
    Reporter: BUT, the parent’s son has ADD
    Crowd: CLOSE THAT BANK DOWN FOR GOOD

Sprinkle a little cripple or disabled here and there in a story and that’s sure to justify it. The story was good except for that bit they threw in there, just seems very unnecessary that they do that often on here.

42. Tomas says:

In the late eighties in Kent, WA, what is now Comcast (was AT&T Cable, then) laid our neighbor’s cable service across our front lawn.

After numerous calls to the cable company to get the cable off my lawn, with no results, I apologized to my neighbor and mowed the cable into little bitty bits.

The cable company came out and did the job RIGHT, more or less, burying the cable about 6 inches down, following the proper right-of-way.

43. elkhart007 says:

I had the opposite. Comcast contractor ran a new line from pole to house. He thought the ground cable attached to the main cable was to hold up the main cable. But he drooped it through a tree I planned to cut. Shortly after fiber came to our neighborhood. I canceled Comcast and told them to remove the line, if they didn’t then I’d pull the tree down which would take out their stuff on the pole which served our neighbors to either side. Took 2 months, 6 phone calls, 3 emails and 3 techs to remove the line. F Comcast.

44. EcPercy says:

This is normal procedure, but back when I worked as a cable installer we had to paint the cable orange so you know it’s there. Since we were sub-contractors we also have to make sure that the cable went underneath any sidewalks. It usually took 1-2 months for the cable company to come out and bury the cable.

45. FarkonGnome says:

My neighbor 2 doors down from me had this same problem, but it lasted over 7 months. The cable network box (if that’s what it is called) is located in my front yard, in the corner away from said neighbor. Mind you, he is 2 houses down from me, and Comcast decided to run a line from that box, behind my house, behind my neighbors house (call him NB1) and finally to the neighbor (call them NB2) that had this problem.

After both NB1, NB2 and I called for 5 months after installation to come out and bury it properly, NB1 and I took matters into our own hands. We both mowed our lawns and managed to “accidentally” hit the wire in 10 separate locations. NB2 called saying their service wire was cut and Comcast was out in less than 2 hours to fix it. Lo and behold the same wire configuration was done a **SECOND** time with the promise it would be buried within the next few days.

When 2 weeks elapsed, NB1 and I finally got frustrated enough that we disconnected it from the network box and buried it properly across our yards (under 2 driveways mind you). We had to coil 500 FEET of extra wire into the network box with the hopes that the next Comcast tech that came out would see that clusterf*ck and fix it. It’s been 2 years since we did and and the mass of cable still resides in there even though Comcast has been out a few times adding service to that box.

46. majortom1981 says:

Usually bad cable installs are done by third party contractors.

Cablevision techs are great but the third party techs that usually get sent out are horrible.

Comcast is probably the same way.

With cablevision atleast you know if its areal tech because they wear a blue optimum shirt and their truck has optimum and cablevision plastered all over the truck .

A 3rd party tech will either not have cablevision on their van at all or have one of those magnetic signs.

47. A Bay Horse says:

OMG! He used to work for Dish Network! It is the same guy who stapled the cable across the front of my fireplace!

48. StevePierce says:

Comcast needs a way to report these problems. I have two in my neighborhood and one elderly couple who doesn’t even have Comcast has cable stretched across their yard. This has been going on for nearly two years ago.

They can’t call in because they are not customers.

– Steve

49. Rockfish says:

I once had a delivery truck across the street back into the Comcast cable above my driveway entrance that stretched it so bad that I could not leave my propery in my pickup truck unless someone stood in the bed of the truck and physically lifted the cable over my truck as I exited.

Subsequent phone calls to Comcast resulted in promises made and broken over a period of 6 weeks before it was finally fixed.

50. sykl0ps says:

Cox cable did something similar in my neighborhood. Apparently they didn’t want to route cables under the driveways from the cable box, so they looped the cable around a tree branch stretched it over someones drive way and looped it around another tree branch on the other side, then laid the cable on the ground to the house. I was mad when I saw this, but I’d be even more so if I was the one with my neighbors cable connection hanging over my driveway.

51. AgitatedDot says:

As a cable tech I can confirm this is a standard procedure. The only issue is someone messed up the paperwork and the cable never got buried. I don’t work for Comcast BTW. My cable co has a time frame of 30 days and sometimes even longer if bury crew is running behind the schedule. The cable is run on the easement, customer signs a liability waiver (saying they take full responsibility in case someone gets hurt).

As a cable tech I am not required (not even allowed) to bury cable. The underground public utilities need to be located (sprinklers, invisible fences, private utilities are responsibility of the customer and they need to have them located).

I try to not miss any paperwork but I have missed some for sure. It’s life.

PS that cable seems to be RG11 cable (used for very long drops) and it seems to be aerial (should not be buried).

52. jenbitesback says:

It’s been 5 months since Comcast “installed” our cable by draping it across the lawn. They said they would come and bury it, but never did. I can feel my blood pressure rise when I even consider calling customer service, so I don’t bother.

53. shorashen says:

The same thing happened to me. Just be patient. Mysteriously, Comcast came nearly five months later, late in September, and buried the cable!

54. Glenalth says:

I used to be a contractor for Comcast doing installs. I’ve had the paperwork that was supposed to go to the bury crew lost a couple times. I’ve also had to go out for other contractors that didn’t even bother drawing up the paperwork and diagrams for the bury crew and fix their messes.

The bury guys have the equipment to do it right and quickly as well as the special gear for shooting cables under sidewalks and such. The regular installers usually just have a shovel for burying very short runs.