To Sell You A Used Game, This GameStop Requires Your Phone Number

Did you know that GameStop is a membership-only establishment, like a warehouse club? You’re only allowed to shop there if you have their rewards card. I didn’t know that, and neither did Jeff. He tells Consumerist that he foolishly tried to purchase a game, but refused to join the rewards program or give the cashier his phone number. The cashier, in turn, refused to sell anything to him.

He writes:

Seriously! The gamestop in [redacted] was busy this past Saturday afternoon.

After waiting in line the saleslady asked me if I wanted to join their rewards program. I respectfully declined, as I do at most retail establishments.

I told her I did not want to give my phone number, as I just wanted to pay for my game and be on my way. She then told me she needed my phone number.

I asked her if she was able to sell me the game without my phone number, in which she responded that she would not. I put the game down and walked away while she
said , “ok, whatever” or something along those lines.

I understand that retail stores are pressured to sign up as many people they can to these rewards programs, but I hope they realize that these programs are simply not for everyone. I find it interesting that Gamestop would forfeit a sale in this regard. Especially considering the game was used, which from my understanding is where Gamestop makes a majority of their revenue. Nevertheless I left the [redacted] Mall Gamestop without a game in hand, a game I was ready and willing to pay for.

I wonder how many rewards the phone number 867-5309 has racked up by now.

Try calling the store manager at a slower time for a retail establishment (say, a weekday.) Of course, this may be futile if the store manager is the one who set impossibly high targets for rewards sign-up and/or phone number collection.

Comments

1. Gorbachev says:

555-555-5555 works really well.

I always give bogus phone numbers when asked.

• Derigiberble says:

I like giving 867-5309. The downside is you get that damn song stuck in your head.

At supermarkets if you are just visiting the area or don’t want to sign up for their membership card, pretty much without fail wherever you are if you give the local area code and 867-5309 as your number someone will have registered it. I’ve had a Safeway clerk at the end of the transaction say “Thank you for shopping Mr. (looks at receipt) Tutone.”

This used to work for the local time number too, which you could call and would give you the current time. Unfortunately I think those are all gone now.

• Corinthos says:

I do that too. One th

• Corinthos says:

I do that too. At game stop I got called out on it once. I gave them my area code and just started rattling off random numbers.

• SkreanAme says:

Me too. (Area code) + random digits until they look up or say “thank you”. I usually get to around nine or ten.

• CTrees says:

I usually give 202-456-1111. It’s a real number, just not mine. It’s the White House comment line, and I figure if they sell the number or try to call it… well, the idea puts a smile on my face.

• kc2idf says:

You can use anything with 555 as the exchange and, with the exception of NXX-555-1212 (which is equivalent to 411), they are fictitious.

You want to really hose ‘em up? Give them a foreign number, and I don’t mean one from Canada or the Bahamas or one of the other countries on the Bell system, I mean one that will be freaking long . . . I can speak with a convincing British accent, and I have been known to give 44 1256 707 333, which rings somewhere in Basingstoke.

You could also claim not to have a phone. This would probably be a bad one to try if you are wearing it on your belt, though :)

• Bohemian says:

I used to have the number to the zoo memorized and used for such situations where they wouldn’t let me finish the transaction without a number. Most places won’t force the issue on phone numbers anymore and I refuse to give out my cell number. These retailers claim they won’t sell it or do anything “unseemly” with it. The first thing they do is send your number and purchase information along to whatever data mining company they work with who then sells/shares it with anyone willing to pay.

• stormbird says:

The Ghostbusters number is 555-2368. I usually give that out as I ain’t afraid of no ghosts.

2. Dre' says:

“I don’t have a phone”

• dg says:

I said this once – then my cell phone rang on my hip. The cashier said “Is that a cell phone” – I said “No, that is not a cell phone”. She shrugged and keyed in the phone # for the store…

Otherwise I just use “312-222-2222″ – it’s the Chicago Tribune Classified Ad line. I just tell them that I work for the tribune and get my calls there since I don’t have a phone… they call, find it IS the tribune, and I’m golden…

When forced to give info – either walk away like the OP, or make up some crap…

3. Chipzilla says:

“Why certainly. My number is 123-4567″

Seriously! How f cking difficult is that?

• MMD says:

“I’m sorry, I don’t give that out”.

Seriously, how hard is it for Gamestop to accept *that*? Why should the OP be forced to lie?

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Exactly. Making a normal retail purchase shouldn’t require any gamesmanship.

“I’d like to buy this…here’s the money…thanks.”

Pretty much how it needs to work.

• lehrdude says:

Hey! That’s the combination to my luggage!

4. sendbillmoney says:

1313 S. Harbor Blvd., Anaheim CA 92802 has been my address of choice for years. One day I’ll go to Disneyland and pick up bales of junk mail.

• dork says:

I send mine to 1060 West Addison Street, Chicago, IL, 60613, just like Jake and Elwood.

• GMFish says:

I live in Michigan, which literally has a city named Hell. My fake address for Radio Shack was 666 Satan’s Drive, Hell Mi, 48169. BTW, Hell does not really have a Satan’s Drive. But a town north of it has a bar called the Bloated Goat.

• Mauvaise says:

My fake address of choice is 1313 E Mockingbird Lane in Paradise Valley, AZ. Since I live in AZ (though not in PV) and there is a Mockingbird Lane in PV, it works. No one ever associates the street address as fake.

• Hermia says:

I am going to use that from now on. :D

• chemmy says:

• houstonspace says:

I like to go with 1313 Mockingbird lane. Most people never pick up on it.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

That’s because most people under 40 have no idea who the Munsters even were…let alone that they existed.

• CoachTabe says:

I do software testing that often requires an address. An awful lot of people live at 1313 Mockingbird Lane in my world :)

• ptkdude says:

OMG! We’re neighbors! I love living in Mockingbird Heights, but everything’s in black and white.

• Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

I give a history lesson to anyone who researches my favorite fake address. 1600 New York Ave NW, Washington DC.

If you look at a map of DC, you will see that New York Ave would intersect Pennsylvania avenue at what would be 16th st. if they were all extended. Back in the day, Pennsylvania was more politically powerful than New York, so the building there got a street address of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

• Doncosmic says:

I take my cue from Elwood, !060 West Addison

5. TBGBoodler says:

I’m always amazed that people like this cashier function in this world. Even if she’s required (by her boss) to enter a phone number, how hard would it have been to make one up herself and not even bother the customer about it once he said “No thanks.” I’ve seen countless cashiers enter generic zip codes at a prompt without even asking me for mine.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

That would be the easiest thing to do.

In my area, all of the supermarkets require a birthday to be entered into the computer whenever anyone buys alcohol. If you’re clearly over 21, most cashiers just randomly type in a birthday to avoid hassling the customer.

• LadyTL says:

In my city most of the cashiers prefer to follow the law and card people despite looking over 21.

• Pax says:

Where I live, if you look under twenty-EIGHT, the cashier is required to ask for I.D.

• kewpie says:

28 is nothing. Wal-Mart’s corporate policy is to require ID for anyone who looks under 40. Enforcement varies, but it is the policy.

• Lethe says:

If she was anything like me, it was passive resistance against her manager’s policies. Let’s say she’s being told she has to get everyone to sign up, and doesn’t want to. If she purposefully pisses people off enough that they walk out, she can then go to the manager and say “Pushing this stupid thing is costing us sales. I had X people walk out today.”

• misterkisses says:

Why should the cashier lie for the customer? I used to do this at my work, typing in fake e-mail addresses so I wouldn’t have to inconvenience the delicate customers, and guess what–? My boss’s boss found out, and I got written up.

You’re asking a stranger to put their job on the line, just because this customer wasn’t willing to make a fake number?

Also, as an aside, not all businesses greedily snap up personal information and sell it to the highest bidder. I can tell you that most places, if they want your number (GameStop included) just use it to track purchases. Have you ever gotten a call from Safeway?

• pz says:

Why did you enter in fake addresses? Not everyone has a an email account — I’m sure there was option there for “no email address.” Just check that next time. :P

6. Omali says:

Maybe she’s just a very shy person and the OP missed out on the potential for the date of a lifetime.

7. GMFish says:

Remember back when Radio Shack was obsessed with collecting phone numbers and addresses? Years ago, heck, decades ago I had a Radio Shack employee refuse to sell me something because I refused to give him my personal information. I was paying cash.

I had some friends who worked at a different Radio Shack so I asked them about it. They said that they had very stringent goals which had to be met. In other words, if an employee failed to get a certain percentage of customer information they could be fired.

That’s similar to the Radio Shack employees who are forced to sell extras and accessories with mobile phones.

• Alessar says:

Years ago? You mean last year when I didn’t buy a new prepaid cell phone because they wouldn’t back down?

• NotEd says:

Remember? I worked for the Shack in the early 90’s and absolutely hated having to get customer info.
      Finally the assistant manager created a fake, generic customer record under 000-000-0000 that half of us would use if the customer didn’t want to give info. It made things a lot easier for my remaining months there.

8. pop top says:

The last time I had any friends working at GS (at least a year ago), and thus actually shopped there, the only situations where you would need a phone number was for a return, a reservation or as part of the GI subscription card. It was NEVER required for a regular purchase. Is there a new rewards card program, or is the OP confusing the subscription card for a rewards program?

Also Laura, this: “Of course, this may be futile if the store manager is the one who set impossibly high targets for rewards sign-up and/or phone number collection”, is not right. Corporate is the one who sets the targets for the reservations and subscriptions and the company doesn’t care about you actually selling things like games and accessories or being knowledgeable about what you sell.

9. simonr27 says:

I have never run into an issue at game stop. The only thing i have ever been asked was if i wanted to join the club. But when i say no they ring me up and send me on my way.

• hoi-polloi says:

Usually Gamestop pushes at least two things. I don’t think any transaction ends without trying to sell me an Edge card and to pre-order a game. They’ve never requested my zip code or phone number for standard transactions.

I don’t object or refuse to provide my zip code. The retailer is getting a sense of where customers are coming from, but no data that can individually identify me. When it comes to phone number requests, I politely decline. They usually tell me why it’s really okay, and I repeat myself. To date, it’s never gone beyond the second refusal.

10. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

“She seemed annoyed, “I don’t understand why anybody wouldn’t want to save ten percent.” After which she asked for my phone number.”

Because it costs more than the 10% to “become a member” comes with a spammy magazine that I’ll just throw away and because you have a quota to fill?

(Former employee of Gamestop – you were required daily to sell at least 3 of these ‘memberships’ and at least 1 warranty)

• RandomHookup says:

So this is a paid frequent shopper program (like Borders) rather than simply a frequent shopper card (like CVS)? I say it’s silly not to take a discount with even fake info when the program is free, but not worth it to pay for a membership unless you are going to spend that much money anyway.

• mmmsoap says:

I have stubbornly refused to enroll in the CVS frequent shopper card program, because I don’t want them tracking my purchases. The things I buy at the grocery store (milk, apples, bread, meat, cheese, cereal) seems so much more innocuous than the things I buy at CVS (medications, pregnancy test, etc)….The grocery store data mines me, I get coupons for Chex Mix. CVS data mines me, I get coupons for anti-fungal ointments or something. No thank you.

• jesirose says:

Oh my god, I could write volumes on the hassles of buying pregnancy tests. For starters, the idiots who assume every person who buys a test always wants it to be negative. Then there was the kid who I got fired because he had the audacity to ask me “is it his?” and pointing to my husband who was with me (both of us wearing wedding bands, and even so IS IT YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS?)

• Right On says:

Way to get that kid fired for being social with the all important customer! I mean how could he even muster up the words with your flashy wedding bands searing his retinas??

• Trick says:

Anti-Fungal??? Go see a doctor. Ewww.

• alaron says:

I use my CVS card when I get a discount. When I don’t, I just say no.

• copious28 says:

Its Barnes & Noble. Borders is free.

• paoloacca says:

required no…but your hours were dependant on this.. i worked like 1-2 days a week, it was hard for me to keep up with the other employee’s.

• LadyTL says:

They have a free membership now though.

11. narcs says:

maybe that ‘no membership, no game’ only applies in the US. Canadian Gamestops that I’ve been in ask if I’m Edge member (or whatever its called), I say no, they ask if I want to join and save 10%, I say no, they sell me the game.

• Kitamura says:

Yeah, cashiers at my local ebgames won’t force it on you. If you do give them your phone number they will call you the weekend before the game release comes out reminding you that you did give them pre-order money and that the game will be available for pickup on ___ day. Otherwise I haven’t received anything from them at all.

• narcs says:

you must have a good EB. I have an EB close to home and one down the street from work and they NEVER call for pre-orders and they never hold any of the free stuff that comes with a pre-order.

I’ve given up pre-ordering (not becuase they don’t call) because why does EB/GS need my money months in advance? I’ll preorder my CoD Black Ops on Nov4 and they will have to honor it becuase its being ordered before ship/release date.

12. Rose says:

I usually say 000-000-0000 and then give them a look. If they insist, or if the machine won’t accept that as a number, I ask for the store’s telephone number then I give them the store’s number back. Then they give _me_ a look. Thus far, it has never gotten past that.

13. Geosama says:

About 3 years ago I had an incident with a Gamestop cashier as well. I professionally emailed them and to my surprise received a response in about 2 days from the district manager. He even called me. I explained to them what happened (cashier girl was extremely rude and refused to pricematch their own website and i bought my xbox360 and accessories elsewhere). He offered me a 10% discount on my next purchase and will investigate. I thought it was just more corporate mumbo jumbo but I stopped by the next week and she was no longer there :D.

• djc_819 says:

Just out of curiosity, how do you know she was just not off or on vacation?? Not trying to doubt you or anything, unless you actually asked one of the employees if she was till working there?

14. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

When they ask for my phone number, I say “I’m sorry, but I’m already seeing somebody.” Especially fun when used on a clerk of the same gender.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

I’ve got to remember that one, but in my case, I’ll have to say “I’m sorry, I’m married.” since I wear a wedding ring.

• trentblase says:

I prefer “I’ve heard that one before… how do I know you’ll really call me? Why don’t you give me your number instead?”

15. E. Zachary Knight says:

When I worked at EB Games a long while back, there were times that we had to collect zip codes when people purchased anything. I believe the purpose was for demographic research. Corporate wanted to know which stores served which areas the most.

A lot of people refused to give their zip codes so we just punched in the store’s zip.

Not sure why they would want a phone number.

• Gandalf the Grey says:

I understand the demographic research, and since it’s so generic (about 48,000 people live in mine) I have no problem giving my zip code. Sometimes, it even means they’ll build a store closer to where you live.

Anything more than that however, and I just tell them the information is private.

16. tingly says:

After getting banned from my local Gamestop for returning a defective Gamecube, I refuse to step foot in their store or give them any more business. I’ve told all of my family and friends to avoid them. It’s like they scrape the bottom of the barrel for their store managers.

I wanted to buy a cheap little system for my daughter, since her Nintendo DS died. The Gamecube seemed the best bet, with having the most 8 year old friendly games, IMO. After 4 days and returning 3 games to Gamestop (no Gamecube game would read in the system) I decided to return the system itself. At first the manager said it’s against their return policy and would only be able to offer me store credit. I kindly reminded him (by flipping over my receipt) that any item may be returned within 7 days of purchase for a full cash refund. You should have seen the anger in his face when he found out he had a customer that actually read the return policy. The store manager then told me I could get a cash refund, but I would be forever banned from that Gamestop. I simply told him “Give me my money back, that works for me.” As soon as I got home I called his district manager and explained everything in detail. She gave me 50% off my next total purchase from Gamestop. Sad though, because I don’t see myself going to any other Gamestop anytime soon.

So basically, stay the hell away from Gamestop if you want to keep your sanity.

• BonzaiSamurai says:

Can I have that coupon?

• Genuineduck says:

Shoot, 50% off anything? Just buy a brand new PS3 or something then ebay it for a nice ~$100 profit.

• tingly says:

I would give it away if I could, I just don’t want to go through the hassle of using it. But the district manager told me over the phone that it’s attached to my name/phone number and that I would have to present ID. With my luck, whatever I purchased would be defective.. ugh.

• Kuri says:

Funny, I read about these horror stories all the time but never encounter them myself.

17. anime_runs_my_life says:

I can verify that a phone number is not required at all to make a purchase. I’ve bought many games there and never had to give out my phone number. The few times they’ve pressed, I’ve just asked what is more important, my phone number or the sale. I know that they’ll type in whatever number they use (I’m sure it’s a fake number), and process the sale.

I did have a GS rewards card for a while (actually it was the husband’s but he always puts this stuff in my name since I do better at keeping track of stuff) and while it was nice we were getting the magazine, it really didn’t benefit us since we’re really casual gamers.

18. g051051 says:

That happened to me at Play-N-Trade. I went in and picked up a Dreamcast Game, but they wouldn’t let me buy it without joining some sort of membership club. Maybe they ought to check for membership at the door, instead of wasting my time shopping for something they wouldn’t let me buy.

19. FS1 says:

Just a rude cashier. Even at the places that ask for a phone number, it isn’t required to make a sale. I used to have customers refuse to give their phone number, and I just told them to make up a number they would remember to use with their reward card.

The same thing goes for email. So many people worried about spam, etc. Just set up a free email at yahoo, hotmail, whatever, and use that for any message board registrations, website sign-ups, online shopping, etc. Then ignore said email, unless you are checking on an order. Save your regular email for personal contacts.

It really isn’t that hard, people. Make up a number, set up an alternate email. Happily pretend you are anonymous!

• MSUHitman says:

Actually, if you want to decline Gamestop’s membership programs now (Power Up Rewards) just tell them you don’t have an email address. Your name, phone number, email address and zip code is REQUIRED for even the free program, so if they’re pushy tell them you have no email access and they have to stop trying to sell you on that.

20. Speak says:

Toys R Us used to always ask for phone numbers too. I always told them mine was unlisted and they just mashed the keypad entering in some random number I guess. This also worked with Radio Shack back when they asked for all your information. I haven’t been asked for this information lately but if I am I will still answer my number is Unlisted.

21. VOIDMunashii says:

I give out the phone number of a store I used to work at. This stopped being so much fun when they went out of business, but I still use it.

22. jayelle says:

I worked at EB Games 6 years ago, before they were bought by Gamestop, and while we were encouraged to sell Edge memberships they were really cheap (like, $5 for a year), there was no crappy magazine subscription, and we weren’t penalized for failing to sell them. (We got I think $0.50 for every one we sold, though.) They were easy to sell to anyone buying more than $50 worth of used games, though, because the discount on that purchase alone made the card free. Sure, some people still declined to give their information, but we put in any old fake address they wanted. We did encourage them to give a real phone number (or at least a fake one they’d remember) in case they lost he card and wanted it re-issued.

Anyway, I understand that after Gamestop bought them a lot of things changed. I had a great manager & assistant manager when I worked there and as a result we had a happy sales floor and were one of the top stores in our district. After the Gamestop buyout, though, a lot of really good managers left because they were frustrated with the changes that devalued both the employee and the customer.

Not cool, Gamestop. Not cool.

23. nopirates says:

i have purchased maybe 10 games or so at gamestops in NY and CT and have NEVER been asked for my number. i am remembering this correctly because i certainly would refuse to give it to them. they all push their silly savings club thing on me, but never press when i refuse.

could the OP have gone to a rogue gamestop where some a-hole manager has instituted this rule?

24. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

I used to drop film off at Walgreen’s and then they started a new system and the cashier wouldn’t give me my film unless I gave him my phone number. I refused and he insisted. Finally, I turned to walk out without my photos and he said he’d call the police if I didn’t pay for the photos. I tried to hand him the money but he still wouldn’t accept it unless I gave him my phone number. Again I refused and started to walk out without the photos and he he screamed for the manager. The manager came over, listened to the clerk and said, “Just effin’ give him the photos.” Never had a problem after that.

25. djnealb says:

This is pretty much the exact reason why I haven’t shopped at a GameStop in nearly 2 years. There are plenty of locally owned used game stores in my area whose business practices aren’t nearly as stupid. Plus, I’ve found that the independent stores actually know more about the products than the chains ever will.

• Dyscord says:

YMMV I suppose. I rarely shop at gamestop because I rarely buy anything new. If I want a game, nine times out of ten I’ll get it online somehow.

However, I’m lucky in that my gamestop is staffed by people who actually know the source material. I’ve never had any problems with them.

26. Macgyver says:

When cashiers ask for my number, I always give them (310) 597-3781.

27. Donathius says:

I always give them the phone number for a local time/temperature thing.

28. Andnowlights says:

Game Stop is partially owned by Barnes and Noble. I’m sure they’re doing the same thing at GS that they started doing at BN and giving more hours to people who have larger percentages of membership signups and cutting hours for people who don’t sell them… all the way down to being given written warnings as a beginning process to being fired. Nobody wins when it comes to membership cards.

• roguemarvel says:

They do that at game stop too. Tho I think its much easier to sell the member card at game stop then at B&N. At lest the Edge card pays for its self rather quickly if you buy and trade a lot of used games (I’ve had used game trade ins for about $80 that have more then paid for it) while you have to spend like $250 to earn the money back you spent on a B&N card.

29. ophmarketing says:

I still, to this day, give out the phone number to the pay phone that used to be in the hallway of my college dorm back in the ’80s.

30. skrolnik says:

Haven’t some localities made Gamestop have to operate under the same regulations that apply to pawn shops? That may also be a possible explanation for a phone number requirement.

31. Andy Dufresne says:

I bought a copy of Fallout NV yesterday, the guy asked if I was a rewards member and I said no, and that was that. Sounds like you got a douchenoggle of a saleswoman.

32. Dan T. says:

On a slightly related issue, it seems like every sales receipt of any sort from anywhere these days tries to get customers to complete a survey online. The marketers seem obsessed with this stuff these days. Websites also often pop up invitations for you to answer a survey about the site, and on the instances where I’ve answered them, they’ve generally been mostly silly marketing demographic questions with hardly anything about the actual content of the site the survey is supposedly about.

33. teamplur says:

I usually look up the phone number of the store on my cell phone really quick then give them that when they ask. (this is at any store that asks for a phone number)

34. kcvaliant says:

Yeah its probably been stated.

They probably have a quota to reach. And it is easier to turn away sales then get yelled at for not getting a number. Blame management and corporate. Of course they will also try to smooth this over if you call them and deflect to the rogue worker not following their honest polocies.

35. kcvaliant says:

Yeah its probably been stated.

36. Bresslol says:

This is why you just befriend the manager of your local Gamestop. One of my best friends runs one of the Downtown Seattle stores and I know I will just get good service no matter what. Plus, I never get upsold, and I can say horrible things to her when she does attempt to, and we laugh, and everybody wins.

37. copious28 says:

Honestly, I wouldnt worry too much. As a former Consultant at GS, I know they dont care about customer information. In some states, if they tied out customer information to the store credit they give, they would have to keep the money for the customer, even if they lost the credit. Think of how much money kids lose daily they would have to give back!

Your name isnt tied to it. They are probably only using the area code and prefix.

38. ScubaSteve00S says:

I used to be a Store Manager for this lovely company..and yes..it’s terrible being an employee there. These kids are usually High School Kids and need a job for extra cash or to help support the family. The District Manager, is typically a fanatic GameStop Employee who asks for UNREASONABLE goal when it comes to Subscriptions to GameInformer now know as the PowerUp Club and Reservations. The kids are told, less reservations = less hours. At one point in this awesome career, I was in a crappy strip mall in So Cal. Our foot traffic was abysmal. No way we could get the required numbers they wanted.

The phone number should only be for reservations and returns. The system can pull all your data up in the event of a return, expediting your time. Nowhere in the policy, does it say we NEED your number to sell you something. This is completely false.

You ask for a number only when your inputting a reservation, Looking up a reservation, CANCELLING a reservation or starting a new subscription. Returning a item also. Not to sell a item.

Sad that there trying to hustle people like this still…

39. Andy says:

Heh, the manager is the one who has to meet a minimum percentage of sign-ups for reward programs. The order comes from the District Manager, so if you REALLY want to complain to Gamestop you should consider an EECB, but good luck with that. Seriously.

40. Outrun1986 says:

Gamestop recently changed its rewards program. There is now a free rewards program that you sign up for, and an upgraded one which you pay for. I am guessing they can’t complete any transaction unless the customer has signed up for at least the free rewards program. The downside to this is if you signed up for the free rewards program every time you go into the store they ask you to upgrade (surprise, surprise!).

I am also guessing the reason they don’t want to complete a transaction without a card attached is because of massive trade in fraud. They want all your trade in’s tied to a certain account so that in case you are scamming the system in any way or stealing from a nearby store and trading in to GS, they can catch you easier if its all tied to an account.

If the clerk was trying to sign someone up for the paid rewards program and not informing the customer there was a free one as well, then they were doing something wrong. Though if the customer declines the free rewards program they should be able to still purchase merchandise, a store that forces the rewards program just to purchase an item is one that is doing bad business.

If GS didn’t throw away all the cases to their PS2 games I might still be shopping there. I did find one store that didn’t throw out all the cases yet, and I shopped at that one. But out of about 10 stores in my area 1 has not thrown away all the cases. The games are now just disc only in a bin, and I am not buying those. Most of the DS games do not have cases as well, and I am not paying a premium for beat up cartridge only games. To ebay and amazon I go for my games.

41. duncanblackthorne says:

Give them the number for the local offices of the FBI.

42. paf says:

Since the introduction of the new rewards program Gamestop has been added to my DO NOT VISIT list. I spend more time hearing about exciting rewards and super way to save and fantastic points than spending my money. Did anyone ever look at the sale conversion numbers AFTER the program has went live? Sure, let’s hassle our customers to see if they are willing to spend the money they intended to spend in the first place….
    Typical corporate short-sightedness.

43. rng72 says:

I think that must be the States, in Canada the only time they ask me for ID is when I trade in games due to the possibility that the games were stolen. There is no mention of a rewards club at all.

44. sopmodm14 says:

generally, they’re beneficial, but their human, following orders from command (you know how that goes)

i try to give them an easy time, but it prob wasn’t personal

don’t hate the players, hate the game

45. daemonaquila says:

The folks who are advocating just “playing along” and giving a fake phone number are missing the point. Customers are sick and tired of being asked for information that retailers have no right to ask for. I’ve been asked for my phone number to buy makeup, candles, underwear, sheets… I’ve been asked for my full address to buy clothes, shoes, computer-related products, and kitchen goods. I can’t even count how many times I’ve been asked to give my zip code. I refuse every time. It’s time that people Just Say No, and send a clear message to retailers that they can put their nosy marketing-related questions where the sun don’t shine.

46. goldgecko4 says:

When I worked at Game Crazy, we always had to have an account attached to a sale (not because of the system, but because that’s what corporate liked to see), so we asked for a phone number, we would quite often get a “why?”. We had 2 responses: “It makes returns easier” which was the unintended benefit of us having your info in the system, it made us able to do returns without a receipt, as we already had your purchase history. Or, if we really didn’t care: “Don’t worry about it” and ring it through on an account set up with the store’s info in the customer fields. Never hassled or persisted, we’d rather keep the customer than the phone number.

47. Not Given says:

I used to just make one up, now I’ll give my Google Voice number.

48. Kid U says:

A couple of things bother me about this story. First, GameStop’s policy is NOT to ask you for your phone number when buying a used game; if the girl asked then she was wrong. GameStop DOES require a phone number when trading in games (in case they are stolen). Secondly, there are two versions of the rewards card, a free one that does mostly nothing, and a $14.99 version that gets you the 10% off used games, among other things. If the girl at the GameStop was implying that the 10% off card was free, again, she was wrong. Based on the account I think the OP ran into a new or stupid employee, not the normal GameStop policies.

49. mistersmith says:

An arts convention wouldn’t let me in the door over the weekend without completing a registration form with my name, address, email, and phone number. I wasn’t an exhibitor, just a guy that wanted to check stuff out. I told them I didn’t want to fill it out, and they said I had to or they wouldn’t let them in. So I wrote a bunch of fake stuff on there, handed it to the guy, and told him everything on there was fake. He shrugged and I walked in. Wonderful process.

Bought games in GameStop a few weeks back, guy tried to sign me up, I told him I rarely buy games, he said cool and moved on. So it’s not like this is an official rule.

50. TheJinManCan says:

Unless this guy was trading something in or decided to actually sign up to any membership, there’s no reason she should have been asking for a phone number. Something tells me this is an employee who doesn’t know how to run the registers yet, (hit escape, ya dummy, it backs you out of that screen if you were signing him up).

IF you were trading something in, then 99% of the time, you are required by law, city, county, or state, to provide your name, phone number, mailing address, and date of birth. Some laws go as far to get also your license/id number. SOME go as far as getting your thumb print, height info, eye color, etc, whatever’s on your ID. If you refuse any of this, then yes, we have to refuse your purchase with your trades, and give them back to you.

I doubt this was the case, (unless the OP just happened to have decided to forgo that information), and it really sounds like an employee that did not know wtf she was doing.

51. MercuryPDX says:

I’m sure people would love to save 10%, they just don’t want to spend $15 to do so.

52. xjeyne says:

This isn’t GameStop, this is a bitchy cashier.

GameStop has these new FREE membership cards in addition to their paid ones which save you 10%. You get points for your purchases. I don’t get why she would just ask for his phone number though, because you need the person’s e-mail address too, and I’m pretty sure if she already irritated the customer about the phone number he definitely wouldn’t get the dude’s e-mail address either.

Personally, I don’t get why anyone would decline the free card that gets you points, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

53. 99 1/2 Days says:

Missed a step. Consult manager, then if not satisfied, complain to Consumerist. Jeez. Tired of these “cashier was mean” stories without even a manager’s statement to go along.

54. FiorellaMajumdar says:

I give the main number of my cable company. It’s only two digits off of my real number so, in the extremely rare case I get screwed for giving out the fake, I can claim it was an error. That number has gotten me out of many a mess.

55. maximeyocks says:

This is false information. After doing the one thing most of you should have done, call the local Gamestop, I found out the only reason you would need a phone number is to look up your Power Up rewards card. You do not NEED to sign up for anything or give a current phone number. This person must have gotten someone who is A: New or B: bad at their job. Gamestop is NOT a membership only store, never has been and never will be.

56. Cyniconvention says:

It’s pretty easy to formulate one for them. Just take the
    (number of people waiting in line) / (the cashiers working) + (the cost of your game – how many minutes you’ve been waiting.)

There’s tones of time to figure it out.