Steven Slater Pleads Guilty

Ex-JetBlue flight attendant Steven Slater plead guilty today to one felony attempted criminal mischief, one count of misdemeanor criminal mischief, and one count of aggravated awesomeness.

Slater captured the hearts and imaginations of millions after he quit his job at JetBlue by grabbing some beer from the food cart and busting out through the emergency door and down the emergency slide.

The folk-hero will not have to go jail. Under the terms of the agreement, he will undergo a year-long mental health program and receive drug and alcohol abuse counseling.

“While the public interest was surprising for me, at the end of the day I am a grown-up. I must accept responsibility for my actions,” Slater told reporters outside the Supreme Court steps.

Slater also has to pay JetBlue back $10,000 to repair the emergency chute he damaged.

Fed Up JetBlue Fight Steven Slater Attendant Pleads Guilty [NBC New York]

PREVIOUSLY
Zero Witnesses Back Slater’s Story
JetBlue CEO: Slide-Jumping Flight Attendant ‘Not A Hero In My Book
Dramatic Animated Recreation Of Flight Attendant Quitting, Using Emergency Slide
Flight Attendant Weighs In On Angry Passengers, Job Stress
JetBlue Flight Attendant Curses Out Passenger, Uses Emergency Slide To Exit Plane And Run Away

Email ben at consumerist.com

Comments

1. DarthCoven says:

One count of being awesome? C’mon, Ben. I thought it was long established that this guy’s story couldn’t be corroborated by anybody on the flight. How does being full of it = being awesome?

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

If no other part of his story was true other than saying “to hell with it”, grabbing the beers, and riding the chute out of the plane – that’s still awesome.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Yes, I’m sure any nearby ground crew whose lives Mr. Slater may have missed; any passengers who were supposed to take that plane but were delayed because of his antics; and the rest of the crew who put up with the customers yet managed to not throw a hissy fit PLUS had to clean up his share of the mess, I’m sure they all think he’s AWESOME too.

(Griping, making fun, blowing off steam…I do these myself, but all these can be done without royally f*cking up other peoples’ day.)

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Everyone has fantasies about doing something exactly like he did. Except that he actually did it.

So, in the sense of having actualized a fantasy shared by essentially everybody, he did something awesome.

Sure, if he’d hit some cargo worker in the head with the slide and killed him, I’d be calling for his head on a platter. But he didn’t. So…still awesome.

• savvy9999 says:

I haven’t paid enough attention to the story to know what the final straw on that final flight was, did it match up exactly to the “folk story”…. but who cares? Clearly we’ve all seen front-line customer service personnel abused to no end, and this guy had had enough, and his exit was the stuff of legend.

Next beer I crack open, I do so in Mr. Slater’s honor. Hero of the People.

• gorby says:

Umm, everybody cares. Nothing that he claimed “pushed him over the edge” was corroborated by even a single person on board that flight, who tended to describe him as becoming flustered at nothing and clearly irate. He threw a hissy fit without provocation — according to every story but his own — and that’s not nearly the same thing as being pushed over the edge by idiot customers.

It’s a sad say in Tinseltown is this whiny chump is a hero of the people.

• mythago says:

By “who cares?” you mean, “I’ve got this awesome fake narrative constructed in my head and I don’t want your stupid facts to get in the way.”

Usually you’re supposed to have the beer BEFORE going there.

• duxup says:

Sounds like his awesome is pretty fabricated for PR purposes. Folks on the plane didn’t seem to tell the same story he told.

• dolemite says:

He’s awesome in the same way Michael Douglas was in “Falling Down”. We are all aghast at someone flipping out and bucking society’s norms, but we all secretly want to. Someone just get’s pushed too far and has had enough.

• DarthCoven says:

You’re seriously going to lump this whiny little brat together with Bill Foster? Did you eve see “Falling Down”? Dude was divorced, unemployed, had a restraining order, and that was just the beginning of the movie.

I’m sorry, but Slater is nothing by comparison.

• joecoolest says:

So much for journalistic integrity… it got trumped by ego stroke.

• sonneillon says:

He quit his job popped the emergency shoot and walked off with beer. That is pretty awesome. That is substantiated by everyone. The rest of it is just details. “When the Legend becomes fact, print the legend.”

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Mental health counseling I can understand, but why the substance abuse counseling? Is it because he grabbed beer on the way out the chute or is there some backstory to this?

3. Power Imbalance says:

Douche-bag.

4. bravohotel01 says:

>>”While the public interest was surprising for me, at the end of the day I am a grown-up. I must accept responsibility for my actions,” Slater told reporters outside the Supreme Court steps.

While I may never know the true facts of what happened, the fact that Mr. Slater stepped up to make things right gives him a ‘double-plus-good’ in my book.

• RosevilleWgn says:

Perhaps his ration of chocolate went up.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Well, he could have fought it but there wasn’t really a point – he definitely, irrefutably opened the emergency door and slid down the chute. What he got was a more lenient sentence – the alternative was one to three years of jail.

5. Quake 'n' Shake says:

Seems fair. There doesn’t seem to be any point in sending him to jail, nor should he have gotten away with it.

6. The cake is a lie! says:

He may be smiling now, but his career options are pretty limited with that felony on his record. Forget working in the travel industry and a lot of other places. Most real employers won’t hire you if you have a felony conviction, and that’s what he’s got now thanks to his guilty plea.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

After a year, if his record is clean and he has completed the programs sentenced to him, he can appeal to have his felony withdrawn and replaced with a misdemeanor. Then again, all anyone has to do is Google him to figure out he was that guy.

• Master Medic: Now with more Haldol says:

So true and you generally can’t expunge a felony conviction. Heck, anymore if a background check reveals even an arrest you are considered a criminal.

7. shadowhh says:

Well, Im sure he could get a job at a pizza shop.

8. Macgyver says:

This guy is a big douche bag.

9. SweetJustice says:

How long till he lands a gig on a reality show?

10. jehurey says:

I still don’t understand why people think what he did was awesome. As soon as I read an account of what happened and saw a photo of him, I knew it was a drama queen event. How is that awesome, exactly? Its not about his job, because drama queens go crazy over anything that doesn’t go their way. Someone could have hit him at a grocery store, and he would’ve done the same exact thing, triggering the fire alarm and running out the back door.

11. qualityleashdog says:

Ol’ stupidass is now a felon. Good luck, stupidass. And you were never a hero to me, just a ten-year-old.

12. Sian says:

He really couldn’t muster up enough lawyering to get out of a felony conviction? Ouch. Gonna regret that in a few years, buddy.

13. jdmba says:

Anyone pulling stunts should be automatically jailed. No “my son is in that balloon”, no stopping a bus on the 405 to play a song about traffic jams, no deploying slides, no streaking by Obama. This stuff is asinine.

• Master Medic: Now with more Haldol says:

I was open to streaking Obama for a million cash. But really, does America really want to see a 40-year old fat white guy naked??

So I called it off.

14. Anonymously says:

They need to charge him an additional $10 for the beers.

15. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

as long as we see this in a movie soon.

16. HogwartsProfessor says:

He’s not awesome; he’s a jerk. How many times have I wanted to do something like this? Every damn day. I hate my job but it’s all I’ve got right now. I’d like to say “Fuck it” and walk out every day, but I don’t. I have bills to pay. I’m sure there’s someone out there who was happy to get the job he walked away from. There are other ways to quit without resorting to dramatics.

Aren’t there legal ways to prevent him from profiting from his felony? I hope so. He doesn’t deserve all the attention.

17. Eli the Ice Man says:

Good job, moron!

18. jake.valentine says:

This guy has to be the biggest douche bag of 2010. I can’t believe that somebody would actually hire him anymore. He is seemingly unemployable for any professional, career job now.