Frog Found In Frozen Veggies

A Michigan couple is croaking about an unusual, tiny, hitchhiker they found in their bag of frozen vegetables they bought at the Meijer supermarket.

“I’m just glad it was at the top of the pack, and not in the middle,” the husband told the Lansing State Journal of the little frozen froggie they found.

“We take this very seriously,” the Meijer manager said. “Our folks will investigate it.”

If you find something in your food that shouldn’t be there, save it and report it to your local health department.

Grand Ledge couple finds frog in frozen veggies [Lansing State Journal] (Thanks to Eric!)

Email ben at consumerist.com

Comments

1. shepd says:

Yeesh! Even vegetables aren’t vegan!

2. LordofthePing says:

Some people would pay extra for that.

3. hypnotik_jello says:

Tastes like chicken…

4. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Not sure why it would be the store’s fault. It most likely happened at the factory. Why don’t they just throw it away and move on? If it were at a restaurant that is preparing food, I can see why you would report it. But, the store has no control over a sealed vegetable bag that came into it’s stores.

• sooperdana says:

I’m not sure if it’s clear from the article, but from the picture it looks like the veggies are store’s in-house brand – so it is kind of the store’s fault.

• Sanveann says:

Yup, definitely looks like a Meijer bag to me.

• The Porkchop Express says:

I don’t think they really bag the store brand stuff, I think some other company does that for them. The frog being in there really isn’t anybody’s fault (probably) as the frog was probably with the veggies at harvest and then at the freezing process.

Good news: probably organic stuff since frogs would be the first to go with too much peticides and what not.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Because the store can then notify the manufacturer with specific information like lot number and shipment date. Also, the store knows better than the customers which factory it probably came from so it can talk to the heads of that factory.

Also, you bought a bag of frozen vegetables – you have to now throw it away, so why not go to the store and get a replacement or a refund? Money isn’t free.

• keepntabs says:

It’s not the stores fault, but I would take it back so the store can notify its frozen vegetable supplier of the incident. Hopefully, it was a one off thing, but it would be nice if someone actually checked to make sure that there wasn’t an infestation of froggies somewhere in the vegetable plant (pun intended).

5. ajaxd says:

I heard that frogs can be defrosted and still be alive. Makes for a good experiment.

6. Rachacha says:

Initially I was going to say what was the big deal, while it may be gross, at least they know that the veggies are real because they include something that was naturally occurring in a vegetable garden, then I noticed that all of the veggies were cut up into small pieces which means either this frog/toad was dodging the processing knives with moves you only see in cartoons, or Mr. Frog was introduced after all processing hopping around on the freezer conveyor.

7. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Considering our food is grown outside, I’m actually surprised that this sort of stuff doesn’t happen more often. Then again, since the frog is whole and the veggies are cut up, I’m guessing the frog got into the food at the processing plant and not the fields.

• Hoss says:

Are they washing the veggies w pond water?

• KyBash says:

The plant is probably be one of those where veggies come in from the fields and go out ready to sell (versus those where various operations are done at separate facilities). Frog came in from the farm, hopped around the building, and landed on the wrong conveyor.

If he’d entered the process-stream earlier, he’d have been chopped up, and the people would have only thought they’d bitten into an extra-crunchy carrot.

8. Hoss says:

Can’t they just take it back and get a lizard, or whatever they prefer?

9. ChuckECheese says:

Treyf! treyf!

10. OmniZero says:

Photoshop. Clearly the original picture had a toad in the vegetables.

Isn’t amphibian a vegetable anyway?

11. Snarkster says:

“its not easy being green”

12. E-Jungle says:

hmmm veggies with a side of frog legs!
    you pay a lot more for that usually, consider it a bonus and shows the veggies are frozen straight after harvest :)

13. LightningUsagi says:

But where there any bugs in the veggies? If not, then Mr. Toad should be thanked for doing his job properly.

14. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Oh no! That’s the brand I buy when I don’t buy Aldi! Meijer is amazing, but crunchy frogs are not!

• craptastico says:

i wouldn’t worry about Meijer. it could happen to anybody. i bought some Bird’s Eye peas once and i found a frozen lady bug

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I’d probably still eat them if I found that, provided it was the only one. I’d just pitch it. But the frog? NO WAY.

• yurei avalon says:

Praline: Next we have number four, ‘crunchy frog’.

Milton: Ah, yes.

Praline: Am I right in thinking there’s a real frog in here?

Milton: Yes. A little one.

Praline: What sort of frog?

Milton: A dead frog.

Praline: Is it cooked?

Milton: No.

Praline: What, a raw frog?

15. sopmodm14 says:

ehh, its part of the harvesting and processing i guess

hopefully its an isolated incident

the funniest thing i heard about was a customer b!tching about a pea that was found in her canned/frozen bagged corn (or vice versa or somethnig)

• Chaosium says:

Seriously, vegetables aren’t grown in vats. I don’t know where people believe their food supply comes from. Space?!

16. samonela says:

Missed opportunity in further experimentation with suspended animation.

17. goldgecko4 says:

I really like the Meijer-brand stuff. It’s consistently well-made and a hell of a lot cheaper than the name brand. That being said, if they’re giving out free frogs, too, even better! :D

18. Chaosium says:

It’s not the store’s fault, and it’s barely the factory’s. You want industrial agriculture? This is going to happen.

19. smashedpotats says:

I hate getting the lame frog toy in my frozen vegetables.

20. rdm says:

Jesus, is there any way we (meaning “you”) could stop showing dead animal pictures on your front page?

21. dg says:

Is this a rerun of other stories? The frog likely got picked up by a machine during harvest, and caught up in the machinery… Nothing to freek out about (well, unless it’s one of those special frogs that people lick), toss the frog and start cooking…

Now if it’s a rat, or something screwy like that – then we got a story…. But the frog is green, the veggies are green, and it slipped right past the detectors…

22. macruadhi says:

I’m just glad that they are taking this very seriously.

23. pop top says:

Hey, that’s my town’s paper. Go mid-Michigan.

24. thrashanddestroy says:

Yikes, I buy those frozen veggie packs from Meijer by the butt-load. At a buck a pop, its a cheap way to get my greens!

25. RokMartian says:

Hmmm, anyone else think the pose the frog has makes it a little suspect? (head is up, with the mouth open) It looks like it was sitting on a flat surface when it was froze. That could very well be the way frogs freeze and I don’t know how the vegetables are frozen, but it just looks odd to me.

26. LACubsFan says:

Man #1 goes into a cafe on a cold night and orders a clam chowder… the waiter at the bar tells him that he just sold the last one to Man #2 next to him. Man looks over, sees the full bowl of soup and asks Man #2 to sell him his soup for $20. Man #2 agrees and hands over the soup and man #1 starts scarfing it down… as he’s about 1/2 way done he notices something in the bowl and uses his spoon to pick up a dead rat crawling with maggots… seeing this man #1 instantly vomits the soup back into the bowl and turns to Man #2 and says “what the hell buddy?!” Man #2 looks at Man #1 and says “yeah…. that’s about as far as I got.”