Dollar Tree Recalls 275,000 Super Hero Flashlights For Being Too Damn Hot

Dollar Tree and the Consumer Product Safety Commission have issued a recall for a trio of toy “projector flashlights” featuring Wolverine, Spider-Man and Iron Man because they can overheat to the point of melting or even bursting into flames.

According to the CPSC announcement, the batteries in the approximately 275,000 recalled flashlights can overheat and pose a fire or burn hazard to consumers:

The firm has received three reports of incidents involving batteries overheating in the recalled flashlights. Reported incidents include a flashlight that melted and a flashlight battery that caught fire. No injuries have been reported.

The flashlights were sold at Dollar Tree, Dollar Bill$, Dollar Tree $1 Stop, Deal$ and Dollar Tree Deal$ stores nationwide from August 2010 for about $1.

The back of the packaging contains the number 16879-20012-003-1003 and UPC 6 39277 16879 5.

If you own one of these flashlights, you should take it away from children immediately, remove and properly discard the batteries and return the flashlights to the store where purchased for a full refund.

For additional information, contact Dollar Tree Stores Inc. at (800) 876-8077 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s website at www.dollartree.com.

Dollar Tree Recalls Children’s Projector Flashlights Due to Fire and Burn Hazards [CPSC.gov]

Comments

1. pecan 3.14159265 says:

The Human Torch flashlight was not recalled because “bursting into flames” was part of the product description.

2. ShruggingGalt says:

Full refund? What if it costs more in gas or bus fare to get to the store to get the whole $1 back?

3. Ted3 says:

Should we be surprised. Most of the stuff at DT is junk anyway.

• LunaMakesThings says:

Nah, I think most of the stuff there is stuff that really shouldn’t cost more than a dollar anyway, and other places are just overcharging.

4. dizzy says:

I do about 1/4 of my grocery shopping there now since they got freezers.

• wickedpixel says:

I used to do that when I lived closer to one. Pizza rolls for $1? Unheard of!

• ChuckECheese says:

Among my favorite former dollar tree purchases – there was this spray foot powder that actually smelled good. it was nothing but scented talc and propellant. The propellant was propane. Then they started using industrial propane with a stinky scent instead of regular propane, which negated the pleasant smell of the talc. So much for that.

5. ceez says:

that’s what happens when you get cheap stuff from china and then sold at a cheap $ dollar store. what do you expect?!?!

i wonder why people even buy toothpaste from these stores?!?!

6. JonBoy470 says:

Yeah, I’ve discovered that anything sold at Dollar Tree that has moving parts has about a 50% failure rate inside the first week. 99% failure rate if its a kid’s toy. Then again, my kids are enhanced durability testers.

• LunaMakesThings says:

For some things though, Dollar Tree is really great. Foam core sheets are what, like 3 or 4 dollars each at Michaels? And the Dollar Tree ones don’t have that slick paper coating that makes markers smear, they’re just flat matte paper. I work with kids, and I get lots of supplies at Dollar Tree. Fake flowers, reward stickers, Scotch tape (yeah the rolls are smaller, but I like it better when each kid can have their own roll), bins and baskets for classroom organization, those decorative glass pebbles (we use them as “counters” for math, or as game pieces). I’ve learned that I might as well get kids’ dress up stuff at Dollar Tree (fairy wings, pirate hats, knight’s shields and breast plates) because kids tear up the expensive stuff just as quickly. I also get my party supplies, gift wrap and bags, and holiday decorations there.

• Jedana says:

We get craft supplies for our son’s cub scout troop there. Construction paper, scissors, foam sheets/stickers, rocks (to make pet rocks), beads, etc.
        The paper stuff too, bags/streamers/plates, etc.

I got a bunch of superhero posters there once. My son loves them–Spiderman, Hulk, Wolverine, and Captain America.

7. sjb says:

One near us had condoms for a buck. Sort of wonder about the quality of them

Guess if they did not work, could name the kid …. buck.