Confessions Of Walmart Employees

Over at our former sister site Gawker.com, several Walmart employees open up about everything from the reality of “rollbacks” to the poo problem. They also share a handful of helpful tips for Walmart shoppers.

Among the highlights:
*“Sometimes the rollback products were outright lies. Our featured aisles were often themed. Sometimes this theme was ‘Rollback,’ and sometimes we didn’t have enough rollback products the fill the shelves. Solution? Fill it with a product we did have, and print a bullshit ‘Was’ card. Because really, who would ever know?”

*“Here’s a tip if you’re ever at Wal-Mart and the lines are long. No matter how full your buggy is, go to any place with a register and start piling your shit up. Unless you have produce that needs to be weighed, they can’t turn you away from jewelry or electronics or any place else that’s supposedly solely for that department. If it’s a regular ten items or less register in the front, they can take anything, including weighable produce. The customers might look pissed off, but the person at the register is not allowed to say a single thing to you. And if they try to tell you they can’t check you out, go tell the manager by all means!”

*“The issue of feces is an ever-present problem at all Walmart stores… I once saw a woman stash a soiled diaper behind items on a store shelf. With several trashcans nearby, I could never figure out why she did it. The cheap thrill of knowing that there was an employee who’s life was probably worse [than] hers that would have to clean up after her child, that for once in her miserable life, somebody else would have to dispose of her kid’s crap? I will never know. Another time, a detached, distracted mother refused to walk her young son the bathroom. After he finally soiled his pants, she became irate, and humiliated him by forcing him to continue walking the store with her, even as he left a trail of smeared feces on the ground behind him.”

For the entire list, check out the original story on Gawker.

Comments

1. mexifelio says:

I guess I could have done without the third highlight :[

2. wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

I haven’t even gone over to Gawker yet, and I’m already disgusted.

I shopped at Wal-Mart this past weekend for the first time in ages. It seems I end up there about once a year, and even though it’s usually out of absolute necessity, I still end up feeling really, really dirty.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

I feel skinny when I go to Walmart…

• 3skr1mad0r says:

Whenever you are feeling bad about yourself, go to Walmart. It is definately a self confidence booster.

• dangermike says:

I have friends in Buckeye, AZ, and I actually like going to their walmart. It’s clean, well lit, spaced nicely, always stocked, and has friendly employees. It’s also decorated somewhat more like a target or kmart or perhaps even koll’s. It feels like the kind of store where you might go in to shop amongst fellow members of Homo Sapiens.

Back here along the LA/OC border in socal, the ailses are always cramped, the stores trashed, the employees obnoxious and/or dumb, and don’t even get me started on the spectacularly mutated clientele they draw. I feel like asking if they’re going to vote for that Not Sure guy. Human wasteland does not even begin to describe it. I don’t shop those places here. It hurts my soul.

3. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

What’s so crazy to me is how much nicer the Walmarts in the mountains are than the ones in town. Maybe it’s just because Walmart is sometimes the only place to get something in a small mountain town that it’s less riddled with craziness. Or it’s that the employees are mountain Walmarts actually know their customers and care, instead of feeling downtrodden and bitter towards everyone and everything.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Where do you live? My concept of mountains vs. “in town” is extremely stunted since I’m an urban mouse through and through.

• Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

I was thinking the same… although our local walmart is really nice, and I personally know someone who worked there. Besides the normal BS of not getting paid enough, scheduling conflicts, ETC that other jobs can do to you as well… I never heard stories like these.

• DanRydell says:

That’s really crazy to me is that the Walmart in my upper middle class town is not as nice as the Target in a lower class town 5 miles away. What’s even stranger is that the Target has a higher class of customers too.

• Onesnap says:

I have to agree 100%. Just this past weekend I had a very positive experience with a small town Maine Walmart. It was super clean. The employees were very kind and helpful. The produce was not only organic but very fresh.

The ones near Boston, MA make me shiver at how horrible they are.

• Tiandli says:

Most Wal-Mart stores are fine. It’s the customers who treat the store and it’s employees like their own personal servants that’s the problem.

Tracking feces all over the floor? Hand that woman a mop and bucket or send her a cleaning bill.

4. Dalsnsetters says:

At one point, this post states “I also remember working 39.5 hours a week at my ‘part-time’ job. Anything more than that and I’d be full-time and we just can’t have that, can we?”

Last time I checked, full time was anything over 32 hours. Guess this guy’s math wasn’t so good, or maybe he was told there would be no math?

• Bativac says:

You’d be wrong in that regard. No legal standard exists to define full- or part-time status based on the number of hours worked. Depending on the job, overtime may be required if you work more than 40 hours (it’s not paid at my job), but working over 32 hours in a given week doesn’t make you full time.

• Dalsnsetters says:

Well, let’s see. I’m not eligible for health insurance unless I work full-time, which all insurance companies define as more than 32 hours. When I filed my unemployment claim in April, the state classified full time employment as greater than 32 hours. AND, when I testified for the FTC in Federal Court against my former employer (foreclosure assistance company), they asked me if I was a full time employee, did I work more than 32 hours. That’s in my deposition and on the official court transcript.

So go to the FTC and tell them they’re wrong, and let me know how that works out for you.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I didn’t realize there was a federal standard. I’m guessing there’s a legal definition of “full time” and corporate policies can vary from this in determination of benefits eligibility.

In the past twenty years, I don’t think I’ve ever worked at different companies with the same definition of full time. At my current employer, to be considered full time permanent, one must work 37 hours a week and 1,000 hours in a given 6 month time period.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

15 years ago I did tech support for a major computer manufacturer,and the classified full time as 20 or more hours (full benefits!)

I know they don’t do things like that any more, times have changed. The FTC might have wanted it on the record that you were what most considered full time, over 32 hours, but that still may not be a definition. The cutoff can and will vary.

• peebozi says:

Just another example of the government trying to dictate to businesses how they should operate.

if a business wants to define “full time” as 40 hours and only allow their employees to work 39.5 then what business is it of the government to dictate what full time is. The free market would obviously work this out on its own…just like the minimum wage, child labor laws and the anti-monopolistic legislation aimed at harming corporations that do nothing other than work hard, take risks, increases living standards for everyone and control a market so completely that there would be no other competition!

damn liberals!

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

The government is just as guilty in this regard. The DOI routinely has short lay off periods for personnel to maintain their status as “seasonal” vs. “permanent”. I know several biologists and archaeologists who fall in this status.

• bigTrue says:

Yeah, damn anyone who thinks the fact capitalism supports loopholes like this so businesses can pad their bottom line on the shoulders of the working class.

The fact is that our government wants individuals to live correctly, by a moral compass and within the laws of our land. The problem happens when corporations are seen as individuals in the eyes of the law, but the only moral compass they have is to make more money for shareholders. They are driven by one “emotion” which is greed. The rest of us have the whole range of emotions, like shame/anger/love/hate/happiness. Corporations do not have any of that. The board acts as a brain to the whole being of the corporation and it’s only driving force is to make more money. This, then, breeds rewards to anyone in the body of the corporation to find loopholes in laws and regulations that allow the corporation to make more money, which fulfills it’s one purpose and helps realize gratification towards it’s one emotion, greed.

So, yeah, I’m a liberal/socialist scumbag to everyone that thinks the above process is fair and balanced to the majority of our country. I don’t mind capitalism, but treating corporations as individuals is a horrible process. Take away that bit of law and I’d have a much easier time swallowing capitalism.

• Michaela says:

On paper, your ideas make sense. Unfortunately, you must understand that the perfect world of an economics textbook doesn’t always mirror the real world.

• palfas says:

lol, got a few bites there.

It’s sad that so many people actually believe this crap.

• jimmiej says:

The state of Idaho has specifically states a person working more than 30 hours a week is considered eligible for benefits if they satisfy their waiting period. The waiting period cannot be longer than one year.

• gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

It does by Walmart policy. If you work more than 32 for 12 straight weeks they have to make you full time.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

It depends. When I worked at Walmart (shudder) the full-time cut off changed from 40 hours to 32 so it depends on when they were there since it came from a former employee. As someone who worked there at that time I can say yes, if you get NEAR the 40 hour mark, they send you home lest they have to pay overtime. Of course, you are near that point because they don’t relieve you for breaks or the end of you shift on time…honestly, that quote sounds almost exactly like my experience there.

5. dolemite says:

Sounds about right. I was a stockboy/maintenance guy at a department store. The best was cleaning vomit up. Someone’s kid (or just some drunk dude) would vomit in the middle of the floor and keep walking…never alert anyone to the problem until someone else stepped in it and tracked it around the carpeted area for awhile. And the women’s restroom? OMG, the place looked like a hurricane had hit it. Used ‘womanly’ products on the floors, feces on the walls, pee in the floor, and just about every stall would be out of toilet paper, even the backup rolls.

The tip about going to the 10 items or less isle is too much of a dick suggestion. As a person that regularly carries around a hand basket to shop, I get more “angry” than “annoyed” at these mega shoppers that have 3 weeks of groceries in their cart, yet go to the 10 items or less isle. Congrats, your one purchase is holding up 10 people behind you that stopped in for milk/bread.

• kc2idf says:

Well, the cashiers might not be able to say anything, but the folks in line behind certainly can.

• DarthCoven says:

Seriously. If you’ve got 12 items in a 10 or under aisle, yeah we can let that slide. But you can be damn sure you’re going to get chewed out for trying to walk up to the express lane with a full cart.

• AstroPig7 says:

At my local Kroger it’s usually a woman with two uncontrollable children, and she doesn’t understand why people are staring daggers at her. I know that not all parents act like this, but I am tired of seeing parents use their children as an excuse to do almost anything.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

Vomit happens… I got over heated riding my bike to the bank as a 15 year old to run an errand for my mom. As I stood in the lines at the teller windows I became nauseous. I tried to make it to the restroom, but they were across a very large lobby from the tellers (200+ ft I would estimate)…. I made it about 75% of the distance.

I apologized, but I wasn’t really in a position to clean it up (I started to with paper towels, they stopped me).

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Remember, the women’s restroom is actually the “women’s and children’s restroom.”

• _rob_ says:

I was once covering “store standards” for someone on lunch during my days as a Wal-Mart employee when a kid vomited in the school supplies section.

This was located right next to my cash, but because it was mostly clear (TMI?) and I only had 15 minutes left of responsibility for spills and such, I waited it out. Customers would walk by with the most perplexed looks, but ultimately nobody said anything.

When the regular guy got back from lunch I informed him that I’d “just heard there was some sort of spill” in school supplies.

6. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I don’t care if you don’t shop at Wal-Mart because of ethical reasons or because they check receipts or you just don’t like the color blue. Let’s get down to the simple fact that “poo problem” is the only reason anyone needs to avoid going to Wal-Mart. That should stop you right there. If it doesn’t, there’s something wrong.

• duxup says:

A long time ago I was at a wall-mart where they were handing out samples of Oreo cookies. They had sometimes unsuccessfully cut the cookies in half so you couldn’t get a whole Oreo cookie.

Somehow that stuck with me.

• Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

Walmart by no means owns the feces problem. I worked at Kmart one summer when I was in college. Lots of feces problems there, too. Unbelievable.

• McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

My wife used to work at Macy’s. Evidently people taking a dump in the center of those circular clothing racks was a weekly problem.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I can’t comprehend why this is a problem at other stores. Unless there are a lot of mentally ill people at stores, I have no idea what makes someone to want to do something like that.

• goodfellow_puck says:

I think it’s weird that you thought it only happened at WalMart. It’s not like the store puts banners out for those kinds of people. It just happens in A LOT of retail (and other) places. Happened pretty regularly at the craft store I worked at. Old people loosing it and trailing it through the store, moms too lazy to change their kid in the bathroom, kids and animals doing it where ever, feminine hygiene products in the floor and stuck to the walls, poo on stall walls, turds next to or on the seat of the toilet, used hampers returned to the store, one repeat offender who peed in vases and put them on high shelves, masturbaters in floral (more than one person! Repeatedly!). I could go on and on. Humanity is not as sanitary as you’d like to believe.

• Destron says:

It has nothing to do with the fact that it’s Walmart, and everything to do with the fact that it’s a public place, and at least 65% of the people that go in ANY public retail establishment don’t give a damn about the messes they or their kids make. They don’t have to clean them up, as an employee there that’s your job.

• ames says:

Why would it only be a problem at Walmart? Bad behavior exists whereever there are people, it’s just a fact of life. I cleaned up poo at Barnes & Noble, my friends cleaned up poo at Starbucks, my brother cleans up poo at his bar. The common denominator there – people.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

No wonder I got such weird looks from the salespeople when I’d play in there as a kid.

(I’m only kidding about the weird looks part…I don’t recall ever finding poop there, but when I was

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Dammit, “when I was LESS THAN 10, I’d spend most of the time playing or reading in there when I was dragged to Macy’s or Sears or JC Penney’s.)”

• discounteggroll says:

that’s not good…I used to hide from my parents in those as a child

• Jamie All Over says:

Former Target employee here: It’s not just Wal-Mart.

• lettucefactory says:

No, it’s really not. I worked retail and food service for almost 10 years, never at Wal-Mart, and learned that it’s surprisingly common for folks to, um, experience poor fecal aim in a semi-public restroom. Maybe Wal-Mart has more of this than average, I wouldn’t know, but it’s certainly not an exclusive problem.

• phalvorson says:

Okay, but let’s not single out Wal-mart as having a “poo” problem. During my college years, I worked at a store that rhymes with Wal-mart (and begins with a “K”) and once had to clean up “poo” in the ladies dressing room. The point is that it can happen in any store, probably not even just discount stores. I’m sure that department stores and maybe even restaurants have also seen their fair share of incidents and accidents related to “poo.”

• HogwartsProfessor says:

That’s not confined to Walmart. The sandwich shop I worked at in Cali was right on the edge of downtown; lots of homeless people would wander in and use the bathroom. We finally had to make it customers only after some poor lady left poo all over the walls, the floor, the edge of the seat….guess who had to clean it up?

There was another lady who was completely whacked. She used to come in and go in the bathroom, lock the door and scream and wail for about ten minutes. Then she’d come out, sometimes get something to drink and calmly leave. We never did figure out what was wrong with her.

• quail says:

David Sedaris spoke about one of his book tours where he retold the story of dealing with poo in his youth when he worked retail. In retelling his story he discovered that everywhere he went he found people from every retail background in every location of the world who had the same experience. The USA, Europe, South America; and in cheap stores like Walmart and high end stores like Neiman Marcus.

Most people can understand accidents, but what’s frustrating to all is when the turds are laid out deliberately in public spaces. Those people are sickos.

• Moosehawk says:

I worked in the kitchen of a ski resort chalet in my younger years. The same staff that made the food was also the same staff that would clean the toilets throughout the day and would usually swap between the two.

One day I was flipping burgers and the manager told me someone had wrote the word “SHIT” on one of the bathroom stalls with their shit, and I was going to be the one to clean it up. I gave him the finger and said I quit, walked out and never came back.

A kicker to the story is they called me the next day and asked me if I was coming in to work.

• haggis for the soul says:

In pretty much any public situation you can have this kind of problem. Even a librarian I know has to deal with a “mystery pooper” in her library. Ah, humanity.

7. Straspey says:

Hmmm…

Maybe that explains the “Musty Odor” in the Tylenol recall ??

8. DanRydell says:

“*”Here’s a tip if you’re ever at Wal-Mart and the lines are long. No matter how full your buggy is, go to any place with a register and start piling your shit up. Unless you have produce that needs to be weighed, they can’t turn you away from jewelry or electronics or any place else that’s supposedly solely for that department. If it’s a regular ten items or less register in the front, they can take anything, including weighable produce. The customers might look pissed off, but the person at the register is not allowed to say a single thing to you. And if they try to tell you they can’t check you out, go tell the manager by all means!””

That’s a really douchy thing to do.

• Shadowfire says:

yea… Anyone who does this is pretty much a complete jerk. I tell people to move on in my store. You may think it rude, but the three people behind you with real express orders don’t.

• trentblase says:

Here’s a tip: If you ever have to poo in the store, but you’re too lazy to find the bathroom, just go to the nearest 10 items or less register and take a huge dump on the scanner. The cashier isn’t allowed to say anything.

Plus, 1 in 20 poos ring up as a free trip to Spain!

• outis says:

Agreed. It’s not really a tip; I already knew being an asshole was an option. There’s probably a different reason some people don’t do it.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

Yeah, it is, and I don’t remember ever being told I couldn’t say anything to a customer. I would ring them up and tell them the register was supposed to be X items or fewer. Another reason it sucks is that as a cashier there you have a certain IPH (items per hour) you are supposed to achieve but the express lanes always killed them. If you have someone who is trying to pile an entire cart of groceries on a tiny counter, it takes even more time to get through since you scan a few, then run out of bags to put them in but they haven’t gotten everything out of their cart so you have no where to put the bags…

Aaargghhh! This! This is why when I quit with only a few days notice I was told that without giving two weeks I couldn’t be rehired by Walmart for 5 years I didn’t see it as a problem. I would rather go back to work at McDonald’s than at Walmart. At least I was treated with more respect at McDonald’s.

• stint7 says:

It is a dick thing to do. I worked in electronics which was always busy anyway. There was usually two people in the dept., One was helping with customers and stock along with taking high ticket items up to the front registers and we even played stock person many a time with huge ass TVs. I wish they had flat screens back then…so much easier. The other person manned the register but sometimes, like on breaks and lunches, you were the sole guy, in charge of all that and then some person comes up with a $400 order. At the time, the WM I was at was a standard small size WM. SuperCenters were a fairly new concept, so space was an a bigger issue to deal with. I would give anything though to have a regular, non-supercenter WM.

• runswithscissors says:

It’s a jerk move for sure, and I won’t do it, but man is it tempting when the gorram WalMarts around here put all of TWO cashiers on duty during busy times, so that lines snake out and off into eternity. And the stores that do this most often are also the ones who won’t put in the self-checkouts. :(

• dg says:

Sure it is, but so is not opening up additional counters so customers who want to give you their money can get out of the store in a timely fashion. If you’re never going to open more than 4 counters, why install 36?

• sois says:

Yeah, that is super douchey. You know Walmart only keeps 20% of their lanes open when you decide to shop there. No need to piss off fellow shoppers with your antics. Whatever happened to the social contract? Why is this allowed?

9. LuckyLady says:

Re: poo in public places. You can see that anywhere. It’s not a feature unique to Wal-Mart. A friend of mine works in a large university library and has to deal with public poo on a weekly basis. I had to deal with it working at a department store.

10. duxup says:

Feces is pretty much a problem for all of humanity.

11. NYGuy1976 says:

This stuff goes on at all retail stores. The narrative works much better when its Walmart though. Working a low skill job in retail sucks, period. I often find these Walmart posts to be a way for people to scream about how horrible Walmart is and yet they never shop there. The put down of poor people who do shop there is very classist too. Not everyone is wealthy enough to shop at Whole Foods and Nordstroms. Walmart has made it very affordable for people with not a lot of money to stretch their dollar. I very rarely go there myself because I would rather buy American whenever possible and pay more for higher quality that is not disposable but I would never disparage someone who does shop there.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

My household income is generally considered high (well, not Obama tax increase high…) but I can’t afford Nordstroms and Whole Foods. Nah, I have my priorities jacked. If I gave up the BMW and or yacht (paid for, but have you seen slip fees?) I guess I could.

Walmart is very helpful. Deep cycle marine batteries for $75, when West Marine wants $200.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

I don’t shop at Walmart anymore. I used to. I even worked there briefly but that pretty much killed any inclination of shopping there. The local one seemed to always be out of stock of items for weeks. They treated some friends who still worked there like crap. They aren’t even the lowest prices in town so I don’t really buy that whole, “they are the only place I can afford” thing. They perpetuate the idea they are the cheapest but if you compare the prices the local grocery store here has the same or cheaper prices on groceries. If you need other items then Target (yeah, still a big-box store, I know), Menards, etc. sells the same stuff for the same price or less. Unless you are in a very small, very remote town then there are other options.

• peebozi says:

And they allow 7 year old chineses children to have a better standard of living than their lazy, doll-playing-with American counterparts.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Poor people with cars or rides can go to Walmart; poor people without cars or good public transport go to the closest place. That doesn’t always equate to a Walmart. I’m actually closer to ALDI than Walmart, even though I can walk to either. And it’s cheaper and cleaner than Walmart overall. I’ve stopped buying the majority of my groceries at Wally World. It’s not the low price leader anymore.

12. samonela says:

Confessions of Walmart* (formerly known as Wal*Mart) Employees:

- Not all of us are uneducated natural-born douchebags – some of us really had the best of intentions when we took this job…but the store made us that way.

• sopmodm14 says:

that is s0o0o0 true

thats b/c all corporate bigwigs make their decisions, before any field analysis…only from computer screens

about the most stupidest thing ever

if you read CEO profiles, nearly none worked their way up the company

13. Marlin says:

I worked at wal-mart, and the feces thing is awful and true. 2 times I had to clean up a pile of s1it. I quit shortly after the 2nd time.

14. jayde_drag0n says:

“she became irate, and humiliated him by forcing him to continue walking the store with her, even as he left a trail of smeared feces on the ground behind him.” uh don’t you have a legal duty to report child abuse when you see it?

• SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

No, only “required reporters” such as officers of the court and some other professions such as day care providers,teachers and so forth.

sales associate is not on the list.

• padrone says:

Poo smeared on the floor is nasty, but potty training is hardly worthy of an abuse call. I have spent months trying to get my 3.5 year old son to regularly poop somewhere other than his pants. Bribes and singing have not gotten us there, and we are now getting close to the disincentive phase where he needs to be know how uncomfortable it is soil himself without the immediate sanitary clean-up. I can totally see a mother making her son acutely aware of the downside of crapping himself.

• Shadowman615 says:

Yeah, but that story sounded like the kid was actually asking to go to the bathroom and the mother refusing to take him. What kind of potty training is that?

• jayde_drag0n says:

“a detached, distracted mother refused to walk her young son the bathroom.” so refusing to take your kid to the bathroom forcing them to defecate on themselves is potty training?

• haggis for the soul says:

Yeah, but why make the rest of the world acutely aware as well?

15. DWMILLER says:

went to the Walmart in my old neighborhood this past weekend. I never realized it was a dump.
    I really like the Walmart nearer the house, even if it is the stereotypical white trash-o-rama.

16. GMFish says:

go to any place with a register and start piling your shit up.

That was a tip I used to use for quickly getting out of K-mart. But who goes to K-Mart anymore?

• stint7 says:

The KMart around here doesn’t have any customers usually, so finding an open register is pretty easy.

17. swarrior216 says:

Here’s another tip: Don’t shop at Walmart.

18. TJMorgan says:

The part about taking more than 20 items through a speedy checkout is false, at least in my local walmarts. I know several store managers and assistant managers who won’t hesitate to advise you that you’re causing an inconvenience to other customers and ask you to leave if you do that.

19. Outrun1986 says:

I did notice the “was” thing. Last year a brand new Walmart opened up here, while the old one was closed for a while, while they restocked the new one. When the new one opened up they had the “was” signs up. How could a price be “was” when its the first day a store was opened. I guess that’s the best way to explain it.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Yeah, I’ve noticed that crap as well.

• Destron says:

Because Walmart was already operating another 4,000 units before yours opened and your brand new Walmart runs on the same system as all the rest. Rollbacks change company wide. So if it’s a company Rollback then your brand new store will open with Rollbacks. Its based on what the company price “was” not that specific store.

20. Riroon13 says:

*”Here’s a tip if you’re ever at Wal-Mart and the lines are long. No matter how full your buggy is, go to any place with a register and start piling your shit up…”

I can go one douchy-er. After shopping at Target last Christmas, I headed to the Starbucks counter at the front of the store. The Barista was checking out a Target shopper and his basket of 100 items (or less).

Who knew they could do that?

Worst part about it was Target was well-stocked with cashiers and there were actually lines open. This guy, however, decided to make life miserable for everyone involved.

• TheoSqua says:

When I worked at wally the managers would send over customers to my register when the lines were really long. So i’d be running 4 self-checkouts and checking out a customer with a hand scanner, or the people in line at the service desk would be giving someone dirty looks for bringing their 100 items to the service desk to be checked out.

Thing is, it was the wal-mart managers that asked them to change lines. So it’s not always the customer being a douchebag.

21. kataisa says:

The issue of feces is an ever-present problem at all Walmart stores

What the bloody hell? Seriously? Now Wal*Mart is a dumping ground for the mentally ill.

22. bluetech says:

Poo is about right. Found a loaded diaper hidden on the bakery shelf next to some pies once in my local Georgia Walmart. There was a restroom not far away too.

23. Chooi says:

Can’t stand Walmart. The one closest to my house is disgusting. The last time I went in there they had numerous flies in the meat and refrigerated coolers and raw shrimp was mashed all over the floor. Plus their shelves were bare. It was disgusting.

As far as the feces goes – my sister worked at Walmart and had a woman who would come into the store regularly to shop and would poop as she walked down the aisles. I guess she always wore a dress so it would just drop out onto the floor. The manager finally tried to confront her about it but she didn’t speak English so it never really got anywhere. My sister quit not long after that so I’m not sure what happened later. I have family that works at Meijer’s and Target and have never heard of feces being a problem at those two places.

24. dru_zod says:

I despise going to the local Wal-Mart, but I have to from time to time as it’s the only place around that has certain things. Apparently, from what I’ve read on this site over the years, my local Wal-Mart must be one of the better ones. I’ve never had an issue with a receipt checker (they rarely even ask to check it). I’ve not had any significant issues with returns (but I have had a couple of minor problems). Most of the employees are pretty friendly and the few that I know personally don’t seem to have too many complaints about their jobs. I do know one former Wal-Mart employee who was fired, but that was entirely her own fault as she did something incredibly stupid and dishonest. Maybe Wal-Mart stores in smaller towns are not quite as bad as the ones in cities? Or maybe it’s because it’s located in a town that’s popular with tourists (mostly retired people from Florida).

• Outrun1986 says:

I don’t have any problems with my local Walmart (that don’t occur at just about any other retail store), the same people shop there that shop at other stores here so if I have a problem with those who shop at Walmart I probably shouldn’t be shopping at all. Target is IMO more overpriced than Walmart and the only difference is that they price their chinese made junk higher than Walmart’s chinese made junk.

25. ITDEFX says:

when is the Confessions from a Theater Employee going to be posted?

26. mystery79 says:

I worked at the Gap for a couple years – never recalled any “poo” issues (it was in a mall with lots of public restrooms), but I did see a few people try to try on underwear…and after they purchased throw away their used pair in the little fitting room trash.

Honestly though, I have good memories of that job. Yes the pay sucked but my co-workers and the memories of working black Friday, stories of rude customers makes me laugh. I think working a low end retail or fast food job makes you more appreciative of a “real” job and makes you much less likely to be a d-bag or an asshole to other cashiers / retail workers because you can empathize with them.

27. JackSchitt says:

I understand that when a specific walmart location attempts to unionize, corporate closes the store immediately, with basically no notice. That said, what if there was an attempt to unionize something like 30 or 40 stores in major markets all at the same time?

I read a story about a Canadian walmart being successfully unionized because of the government (iirc, they wouldn’t allow walmart to terminated the now unionized employees).

Would walmart really close 40 major market stores at the same time?

28. dr_drift says:

“‘I worked at a walmart tire and lube center in Texas for 11 months before I had to quit before I lost my mind. Not only do the sell to the shadiest people you can think of, they hire them too.(not me)… Now I’m not gonna lie and say I didn’t get down on some of this 5finger merchandise…’”

LOL

29. houstonspace says:

I know this sounds really awful, but I can’t help thinking whenever I go into a Walmart ‘What a bunch of animals’. Last time I was there, one big-busted woman was falling out of her tight plaid shirt and kind of wandering around in a daze, another person was there with her 4 kids (that she had no control over). It doesn’t stop me from shopping there, but a complete lack of goodwill can often be found in the parking lot on a Friday or Saturday night –

1. I’ve seen used diapers just left between two parking spaces, trash, empty boxes of large-ticket items like LCD TVs.

2.People leave carts everywhere, instead of walking them over to the cart corral. Many times I see people just let the cart go after they load their car and it just rolls and picks up speed until it is stopped by a parked car.

3. I see people parking in handicapped spaces when they don’t have stickers or plates. People often park in the yellow striped areas next to handicapped spaces and act like they are entitled to park there.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Re the people who park in the stripes or the handicapped space: I always wanted to get a bunch of clear stickers with “YOU AREN’T ENTITLED TO PARK HERE” reverse-printed on them so I could slap them on a windshield as I walked by. And “NICE PARKING JOB, D-BAG – NOT!” for the ones who straddle two spaces!

30. dakotad says:

“I’m sitting there, as a history major, just incredulous at the blatant propaganda. I looked at the people around me to see if they were as stunned as I was, but they were taking it all in and were completely non-plussed.”

That’s what happens when you get a useless B.A. (useless unless you go for a masters / PHD). History is almost as bad as Philosophy in the useless department.

31. PLATTWORX says:

I am NOT a Walmart fan at all. However, what employee wrote tips with phrases like “print a bullshit ‘Was’ card” and “start piling your shit up”. Not someone I would want on my staff! How rude and unprofessional. No shock they are Walmart employees.

You have to remember:

1. Walmart attracts employees that can not find work at better run businesses or they wouldn’t be there.

2. Walmart’s pricing attracts the undereducated and poorly raised consumer who would drop dirty diapers behind products, etc. The store attracts the employees and customers that kind of store attracts.

Don’t be a dick dude seriously. I could get another job but Walmart pays me pretty well and my job is not bad at all. I sell cell phones in a walmart stand-alone wireless store (think wireless instead of restaurant). I have good benefits and my managers appreciate me. Some days are bleghh but everyday was like that when I was a BK mgr.

32. Yentaleh says:

Walmart has a “poo problem”? (OK I do peruse PoWM from time to time and there a pics there of people who have obviously soiled themselves…..) I was hoping that my naivety would save me from ever knowing this, now that I know, I will never go to a Walmart again. (I’ve only been 4 times in my life, and the last time was in 2005 when my son left his gameboy on the plane and we had to get him another one, Btw, apparently Walmart is picky on their “plastic” they denied me the use of my platinum card…….lol)

33. Froggmann says:

Seeing articles like this just reinforces my reasoning to not go to Walmart. For me it’s not the store, it’s the people that shop there.

34. touayang says:

Has anyone ever seen the Walmart documentary, High Cost of Low Prices? It’s on Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, and other video streaming sites now. It’s from 2005. I first saw it 3 years ago, and it opened up my eyes at what these big name retailers are doing to our country.

I don’t shop at Walmart or Sam’s Club anymore and have been telling everyone I know to boycott it, but I’m only one person, I’m probably not gonna make a difference. My wife comes from a small town and ever since the Super Center came to town, the small businesses there have become extinct. The once busy down town areas look like a ghost town from the old western movies.

My sister-in-law has been working at Walmart for about 5 years. She’s gone nowhere in the corporate ladder and in life. I’ve been telling her to get the hell outta there for the past 3 years. She’s afraid she won’t find another job which is why she still works there.

• Yentaleh says:

Make it two people. Count me in on the boycott, the only big box store I shop at is Fry’s and thats because my husband is a computer geek!

• Yentaleh says:

Make that two people. Count me in on the boycott, the only big box store I shop at is Fry’s and thats because my husband is a computer geek!

35. buggurl says:

Is defecating in public classified as some sort of disorder? When the person has some sort of uncontrollable urge to poop in a public place, like a dressing room, and it’s not an accident?

Because, even though I know it happens all the time as evidenced by the article and other posters’ comments on this forum, I have a hard time wrapping my head around why a sane person would do that in all the places that people have listed it happening. I just can’t fathom that there is a reasonable explanation other that “XYZ disorder.”

• SissyOPinion says:

I always say there are three areas of people’s lives that just seem to manifest weirdness: money, sex and toileting.

36. ChilisServer says:

People who use the 10 items or less lane when they have a full basket make me want to scream. Those lines are there for people trying to get in and out of the store quickly. Maybe someone needs some diapers, FAST. Or some dad needs some medication or a first-aid kit for his kid who is out in the car being comforted by mom. Or maybe, jut maybe, someone doesn’t want to wait a half hour in line to buy a bag of pretzels. People who take up a 10 items or less lane with a full buggy deserve a special place in hell for being inconsiderate pricks…yes, even if the Wal-Mart employees can’t turn you away!

37. yessongs says:

I found a dollar bill folded up with some illegal substances inside lying on the floor by the clothing department. I handed it to the manager.

38. Levk says:

Odd… I know when its BS I know prices $$

39. stint7 says:

Wal-Mart was my first job when I turned 16. I worked their on 3 different occasions, 2 of those occasions being summer or holiday help. I didn’t hate the job, as I didn’t have much to compare it to since it was the only one I had ever had. It was hard for me going to school, leaving at 2:30, trying to make it across town for work at 3 and then being there until 10. I worked in electronics for a long while, something I knew and enjoyed and it was nice being able to help people decide for Christmas gifts and helping them not get ripped off. i had some a-hole customers but most people were nice, just in a hurry like most people who are shopping right after work or during the holiday season. I met a lot of nice people working there and even married the girl who worked across my dept. in jewelery so it worked out pretty good. Would I go back? Not unless I really had to. I work in a fairly laid back, sit around on the internet all day kind of job now, being on your feet for 8 hours is hard work and I admire those who actually do the hard work day in and day out.

40. Memtex784 says:
  41. WickedCrispy says:

Well, our entire country is delusional in believing that they’re royalty. That the customer is always right and can do what they want. That the $8 per hour slob has to do whatever the hell you want, with a paid smile on his face. We farm out everything to other countries who ship it back cheaper, passing the savings onto us, the kings and queens of America.

42. WickedCrispy says:

P.S. If you want poo, go dive into your nearest Chuck E. Cheese ballpit.

43. Yoko Broke Up The Beatles says:

Yes, yes, yes, we get it. The Consumerist, its readers, and many people on the internet hate Wal-Mart. I don’t – I freakin’ love Wal-Mart. LOVE it. Their prices are 30% (sometimes more) cheaper than other stores, be it locally-owned or other big box stores. A good majority of things you buy at other stores can be found at Wal-Mart, only less expensive.

Now, to be fair, yes, all of these so-called horror stories are true. I’ve personally seen many similar issues at my local Wal-Mart. Gross, silly, stunning….yes, but I don’t let those things bother me. I mean, shit happens, it sucks, but then I leave and forget all about it.

44. physics2010 says:

“I once saw a woman stash a soiled diaper behind items on a store shelf. With several trashcans nearby,” What Wal-mart do you shop at that has trashcans other than near the bathrooms? Most stores avoid placing trashcans either because they’d have to be emptied, or because they are afraid shoplifters would dispose of packaging in them.

45. Corinthos says:

I was standing in the ten item or less line behind a customer with 2 carts. Up 3 ahead of me which I didn’t catch. A customer behind me started with the fat jokes. Soon everyone else started making fun of her. You could see in her face she was about to cry. She lucky no one kicked her ass at this walmart. I read about 3 fights a year at least in our local paper there. One was over a guy taking milk out of some girls cart while she was in line.

46. Mecharine says:

That last one makes me even less inclined to go to Walmart.

47. paoloacca says:

this might be late, but ive many retails jobs and i tried to be as nice as possible. I notice at alot of places nearby, they must not teach customer service. at least pretend. Not accusing the customer there potentially selling stolen goods, just because your store is advertising 50% trade-in credit

48. pot_roast says:

This stuff most certainly isn’t specific to Wal-Mart. Kids crap themselves in other stores, and sloppy pigmoms stash diapers elsewhere too. I’ve seen Targets in bad shape.

Sad but true, it’s often the demographics of the area the store is in. Put any store in an area with trashy people, and the place is going to get trashed because the people that shop there don’t bother to take care of themselves or anything around them.

But I know, we like to hate on Wal-Mart around here….

49. ookie-o-e-o says:

They tell their CA employees to go to CA for medicaid because Wal-Mart is too cheap to pay for healthcare insurance for their employees. Make sure you vote republican so you know, we can keep doing that to people.