U.S. Airways Tells Man In Wheelchair He's Too Disabled To Be A Passenger

A man with cerebral palsy had recently boarded a U.S. Airways flight in West Palm Beach, FL, when he was approached by the plane’s flight crew and told he needed to vacate the aircraft. The reason? He is too disabled to fly.

The 47-year-old man is a professional motivational speaker who has flown hundreds of thousands of miles and was en route to Kansas City when the incident occurred.

“Their argument was if something were to happen, I can’t help myself or somebody else, which is an assumption first of all. Second of all, the people that made the decision are not medical doctors,” he told CNN. “They basically told me I was too disabled to fly and I had to fly with a companion and I had to purchase that companion’s ticket.”

After being booted from the plane, he booked a ticket on a Delta flight, where he experienced no hassle whatsoever, he says.

The passenger, who says he doesn’t intend to sue, claims it wasn’t until three weeks after being removed from the U.S. Airways jet — and after the media began paying attention — the someone from the airline contacted him. They offered to reimburse him for the flight; he declined.

The airline has since spoken with him and asked if he could be used as a “sounding board” on this topic. The passenger says he’s not averse to that idea.

“They do want to right this wrong and they do want to work with me,” he said. “And I am hopeful — don’t want to sound cynical but it is a big company — I am hopeful we can come up with a solution that won’t only work for the two of us but will make sure that this doesn’t happen to anyone with a disability in the future.”

Airline cites safety in ousting of wheelchair-bound frequent flyer [CNN]

Comments

1. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Way to be insensitive, US Air.

• Fantoche_de_Chaussette says:

Airplane crashes and post-crash fires tend to be pretty insensitive, too.

Being “sensitive” by putting this guy on a plane, without ensuring that he has an aide to help get him out in an emergency, well that’s just misplaced sentiment.

• skepticalbunneh says:

Valid point, but like he said in the video clip US Air never asked him if he would be able to remove himself from the plane in the event of an emergency… either way if it is obvious or not I believe that with such a policy this question should be asked.

2. GuJiaXian says:

The whole situation is unfortunate, but kudos to the guy for just wanting to make things better, not looking for an easy paycheck.

• MeowMaximus says:

Yes! Three cheers for the OP – I hope he can make a difference.

• common_sense84 says:

He didn’t sue because his case is a bad one. He most likely would be unable to safely get himself off the aircraft in an emergency.

Flight attendants are not required to carry someone with a disability off the aircraft.

So the real debate will be, does the airline require people like that to have someone with them that will help them in an emergency, or do they allow the person to take the risk that they will not be able to get off the aircraft unless a good Samaritan helps them out in an emergency.

If airlines ignore the issue, they can stick with letting them take the risk. But if an airline does investigate the matter, as they are doing in this case, the conclusion is that someone like Johnnie Tuitel will need someone to fly with them.

In this case the air staff actually enforced a rule that is usually ignored. Not a bad rule, just a realistic inconvenience for someone who is disabled.

• hattrick says:

“He didn’t sue because his case is a bad one.”

I’m pretty sure his case is a layup under the ADA.

Airlines can’t refuse you passage unless you are a health and safety risk–usually interpreted to mean you have some kind of communicable disease or you’re crazy guy who’s gonna pull the emergency exit in flight. The indisputable fact is people in wheelchairs fly all the time, so simply being disabled/or in a wheelchair doesn’t make you a health and safety risk. You also can’t be legally forced to buy a companion seat.

He has a GREAT case! He didn’t sue because he is taking a different approach to rectify the situation for as many disabled people as possible. Good on him to do what he thinks will be get the best outcome for the most people.

• 339point4 says:

I agree, but why did he refuse reimbursement? If he wasn’t able to use the ticket, why decline the reimbursement?

• invisibelle says:

My thoughts exactly – I was thinking he refused the reimbursement because he intends to sue. Otherwise, why would he refuse that?

3. sleze69 says:

I don’t know…if the guy can’t save himself, I am with the airlines on this one. What’s the threshold for self sufficiency on a plane?

• Tim says:

No other airline has ever agreed with that, and US Airways even said (later) that they don’t think that.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

And where does the ADA fall into the scheme of things here, I wonder?

• ames says:

Being able to “save” oneself and others has never been a requirement for any airplane ticket I’ve ever purchased.

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

The FAA requires people to be able to save themselves and agree to help save others first, if you are in an isle next to the emergency exit. That is the only time I’ve encountered it.

• katstermonster says:

I guess we shouldn’t let kids fly, then?

To be fair, I actually might agree with you, were this OP not someone who flies on a regular basis and has never had an issue. This is a case of an airline making things up. There was an article about a year and a half ago about an overweight passenger being told he was too heavy to fly, though he had flown enough in the previous year to be a frequent flyer, and had never been told before that he could not fly without purchasing a second ticket. If airlines want to make regulations about overweight or disabled passengers, that’s fine; however, they need to be consistent in enforcing them.

Additionally, I believe that making a regulation barring disabled passengers from flying would be in violation of the ADA. IANAL, but I suspect that’s why your argument cannot be used.

• Suburban Idiot says:

My blind, wheelchair bound grandmother flies all the time on US Air by herself. I guarantee if she were in some sort of emergency situation, she would be hard pressed to save herself.

• mikedt says:

This does seem to be a big problem. The entire industry seems to be ruled by whoever happens to be there at the moment and that person gets to make up rules on the spot. The problem with this is that as soon as you disagree with the current “person in charge” you have now committed an offense that escalates quickly into the felony region and you ether get to spend a long time in a room with federal officials until someone with some common sense intervenes, spend a fortune in lawyer fees or get banned for life.

• pot_roast says:

Kids are much lighter and therefore easier to pick up and hurl out of your way.

• Griking says:

Whether it’s right or wrong for the airline to do this I know that I wouldn’t want to be stuck behind him and his wheelchair while trying to get down the center isle during an emergency.

4. moses says:

I’m gonna be the devil’s advocate here, but do we expect the airline to be responsible for his well being during the flight? If we hold the airline responsible for his well being then shouldn’t the airline have a choice of accepting such responsibility or not?

• GrayMatter says:

But, but, but…………

They allow wheelchair people on; they allow people with severe medical illnesses on (albeit first class, and with an attendant), they allow ….

There must be more to the story.

• invisibelle says:

This.

I am guessing he either pissed someone off, or someone was just having a bad day and didn’t want to deal with it… something.

• daemonaquila says:

This is a straw argument. Half the people on a plane – elderly, people with a broken arm or leg, first class passengers dead drunk on the little booze bottles, people just too dumb to deal with their own safety in an emergency, etc. – would be disqualified. People get on and off planes on wheelchairs and with health problems all the bloody time. If HE feels he can handle himself, that’s his choice.

• moses says:

I gotta disagree about it ONLY be his choice, if we force responsibility upon the airline for his wellbeing the we should allow the airline the right to not accept that responsibility.

5. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

OK, am I wrong in thinking the only place he could sit was a row near an emergency exit, which explains the “help myself or somebody else” line?

I don’t mean to be harsh/PI, but if an area is an emergency exit, there should really be no one who is not physically able to get themselves/help others out in front of it. The person who should be sitting there is someone who will be able to help that person get out should an emergency occur.

• DancesWithBadgers says:

If memory serves wouldn’t he be in the front of the section still in his chair?

• Julia789 says:

As far as I know, people in wheelchairs are transferred from their wheelchair into the airline seat to be buckled in, and their wheelchair is stored up front until time to leave the plane.

Usually people disabled enough to need assistance moving from their wheelchair to a seat have a friend, family member, or assistant with them on flights. (At least this is how my friend in a wheelchair travels). Perhaps this man was able enough to move himself from the wheelchair to the seat, and simply needed a flight attending to stow his chair for him.

I don’t know of anyone allowed to remain on their wheelchair for a flight, because they must be seatbelted and secured during takeoff and landing. I am not sure how anyone would strap the chair in? I realize there are special buses with wheelchair locks for this purpose, but I haven’t seen an airplane with this feature?

If anyone has more experience with this matter, I’d be curious to know. As far as I know, due to my friend’s experience, wheelchair passengers transfer to a regular seat during flight.

• nakkypoo says:

I’ve been on a plane that had a spot to strap in a wheelchair, that was in New Zealand though. Don’t recall seeing that on any domestic flights in the US.

• VATERGrrl says:

The bulkhead seats are often used by people in wheelchairs, or at least that was the case when I flew with my previous boss, who uses a motorized wheelchair and always seemed to be given the bulkhead seat after transfering out of his chair. I can’t think of any airline that would seat a passenger with a mobility impairment in an exit-row seat, and given that Johnie Tuitel, the passenger in question, is a frequent flyer and motivational speaker/self-advocate, it seems ludicrous to think he would have requested an exit-row seat. Don’t assume this guy is not smart or wants to jeopardize your safety in any way– I work with people who know him, and we’re all outraged on his behalf. He wanted to get to WORK, for pete’s sake, and USAir denied him.

• Putaro says:

That’s why they ask you if you can understand the instructions and are willing to open the door if you’re in the emergency exit row. If you can’t, they swap you with someone who can, they don’t boot you off the plane.

6. mrchuck85 says:

If the plane is engulfed in flames on the runway – he’s going to hinder a speedy evacuation. Do you want to die of smoke inhalation, or suffer burns because you were in the window seat next to this guy, or worse he collapses blocking the aisle.

There’s no way to refute that he would delay an evacuation in an emergency which could potentially cost lives.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

But by that definition, anyone who has a broken leg or is in a wheelchair for any reason at all is “too disabled to fly” because they too can impede evacuation. What about the blind? Blind people have flown alone and without the assistance of service animals. Are they too disabled to fly?

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I can’t believe you are insensitive enough to say cane swingers shouldn’t fly!

But seriously, I would be leery of them being in an emergency row, but elsewhere on the plane is fine by me.

• mrchuck85 says:

The realities are that individuals with serious mobility issues especially those that can not move under their own power are going to slow down or prevent a successful evacuation.

I’m not interested in applying a set of standards or a means test to determine eligibility to fly. It’s up to the flight crew, the airline, and captain to make case by case decisions in the field.

I really don’t care if someone feels they were wronged when they could jeopardize human life in an emergency. People are essentially cargo while on a plane- hazardous cargo should be transported differently.

• Me - now with more humidity says:

“People are essentially cargo while on a plane- hazardous cargo should be transported differently.”

WTF? Disabled people are hazardous cargo?

I’m speechless.

• mmmsoap says:

“I’m not interested in applying a set of standards or a means test to determine eligibility to fly. It’s up to the flight crew, the airline, and captain to make case by case decisions in the field”

That doesn’t make any sense. If he has a mobility issue that would hinder other people, then he had the same issue on August 1 as he did on October 1 (or whenever the incident occurred), and it doesn’t make sense that Crew A keeps him on a plane when Crew B refuses, assuming he’s on the same exact type of bird. If there is a valid reason to keep him off a plane, then it needs to be applied consistently. Conversely, if he’s able to fly safely on other flights, then I don’t buy the mobility “issue.”

• mrchuck85 says:

Rigid guidelines result in lawsuits when you don’t conform to them. Grey guidlines that allow interpretation are best- it’s easier for the C-level to claim adherence or throw some middle manager under the bus.

The responsibility ultimately falls on the captain he has the authority to remove anyone from the plane.

• SBR249 says:

by the same token, disabled people should not:

1) go to restaurants
          2) move theaters
          3) sports arenas/stadiums
          4) workplaces
          5) practically any public place that is enclosed.

man, they are so useless! I know what we should do! We should just gas them all and relieve society (us normal people) of the burden of having to put up with them and their hazardous disabilities. Oh wait…Hitler already showed us how wonderfully that idea worked out…[/sarcasm]

jerk

• SBR249 says:

doh! *movie theaters*…

• MrEvil says:

Your argument is flawed. In all your cases a disabled person isn’t separated from his/her assistive equipment, thus NOT a hindrance to evacuation. Even on a public bus or train there are spaces for wheelchair users to strap in or park themselves. Not so on a passenger aircraft.

• runswithscissors says:

YEAH! Dem damn cripples outta stay in der homes or some kinda institutions. If dey come out and mix with us normos they’ll just get in da way!

/ annoyed sarcasm

• Marshmelly says:

Sounds like you should work for the airlines…they basically share that same principal in treating people like cargo.

“I’m not interested in applying a set of standards or a means test to determine eligibility to fly.”

Why? There should be standards…if not its all left up to the subjective whims of whoever happens to be running that flight. Why would anyone want to trust that?

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

anyone could collapse blocking the aisle in a crash or emergency situation. and remember, the closest exit may be behind you

• mrchuck85 says:

anything is possible, is it more plausible or probable that a healthy individual is going to collapse in an aisle- probably not.

It’s irrefutable that someone with CP is going to delay an evacuation if the plane is in flames- stop arguing semantics.

7. VATERGrrl says:

This was the top news in my work inbox today — I work at an Institute for Disabilities in Philly — and it’s amazing to see it on Consumerist! Thanks for bringing everyone’s right to travel onto your front page.

8. Darwin says:

I agree with the airline. They are doing their job following regulations and looking out for the safety of their passengers. If this guy is incapable of evacuating the plane by himself in an emergency, he is a potential risk to others on the plane.

• DancesWithBadgers says:

They weren’t following regulation.

US Airways’ official policy on disabled passengers stipulates that “for safety-related reasons, if a passenger has a mobility impairment so severe that the person is unable to physically assist in his or her own evacuation of the aircraft, the airline requires that the passenger travel with a safety assistant to assist the passenger to exit the aircraft in case of an emergency evacuation,” Mohr said.

• Darwin says:

There are regulations that require an aircraft to be able to be evacuated within a set period of time. The policy you quote exists to support compliance with that regulation.

• DancesWithBadgers says:

It does not appear he is so severely disabled that he is unable to assist in his own evacuation, so they are in violation of their policy. DoT regulation states:
          “Airlines may not refuse transportation to people on the basis of disability. Airlines may exclude anyone from a flight if carrying the person would be inimical to the safety of the flight. If a carrier excludes a person with a disability on safety grounds, the carrier must provide a written explanation of the decision.”

• Darwin says:

I do not believe that the airline has a policy restricting access to all passengers with cerebral palsy. If you are aware of one, please link. They were willing to let him fly if he traveled with a companion who would assist him in an emergency. A reasonable, prudent thing to do for the safety of all the other passengers aboard.

• jaazzman says:

You cant claim you are just following the rules set in place by the airline if you only follow them once and awhile. Either the OP is NEVER allowed to fly or he is ALWAYS allowed to fly. Picking and choosing when to allow someone on and then claiming you’re simply following the rules is not the right way to do things.

If they are going to stand by these rules, then no seniors with canes / walkers should be allowed, no parents with kids etc etc. Can you honestly say that a woman with 2 kids in her arms is going to be less of a hindrance?

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

That only applies if he is seated in a seat next to an emergency exit.

• daemonaquila says:

That’s ridiculous. Half the people on the plane could be deemed unable to take care of themselves in an emergency. Never travelled with elders with canes? People in ill health? The blind or deaf? People with a broken arm or leg? This isn’t a safety issue – it’s an issue of ignorance about real risk, and the ability and rights of even those who are fairly seriously disabled.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

people potentially incapable of evacuating a plane in an emergency that wouldn’t be spotted by airline employees:
      anyone injured in the crash
      my mom with her chronic back pain that flares up under stress [like a crash]
      my sister, who can’t fly without sleeping pills or alcohol to get her through the fear
      me, with multiple sclerosis who can only walk part of the time and then not very far.

no airline employee would be able to predict any of those, so we’d all be allowed on the plane

9. aja175 says:

He declined the refund of a flight that he was not allowed to get on? That smells like he’s thinking lawsuit.

• katstermonster says:

Really? I’m sorry, but are you that cynical and negative all the time? This OP sounds like he genuinely wants to work with the airline to make sure that other disabled persons aren’t shafted in the same way. Can’t you just take that at face value for once?

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

I think it gives his paid speeches far more value. Otherwise, hecklers could say, “Yeah, but they paid you back.”

10. cmhbob says:

Hmm. How do unaccompanied minors fit in there? Or non-English-speaking passengers who can’t understand aircrew instructions?

• nakkypoo says:

Because even people who don’t speak English know how to move from their seat to the exit. If they are confused about the process, there’s a little guide that has cute pictures and instructions in several languages.

Unaccompanied minors pay more, that extra fee ostensibly is to pay the airline to assist minors in an emergency (and with general boarding and deboarding.) But even a very young child has more mobility than a man in a wheelchair with cerebral palsy. If the kid did some how get stuck in the aisle, you can just step over them… kids are small. Try jumping over a wheelchair.

• OSAM says:

Panic and everybody getting off the plane as fast as possible isn’t language specific. There comes a point when “GET THE F%&$ OFF THE PLANE” is pretty much universal.

11. nakkypoo says:

I’m sure this will seem insensitive, but I would not want him seated between me and my nearest emergency exit. I would then be relying on some other passenger to assist him if he were unable to himself. And no, I don’t think it’s the airline’s responsibility, they would have an entire plane full of passengers to evacuate, not just this one man in a wheelchair.

And it does sound like he’s looking for a payday. He turned down the reimbursement he was probably entitled to and admits that he looked into taking legal action. He also claims it’s a civil rights issue and compares himself to Rosa Parks.

The airline didn’t want to take the risk, they’re entitled to make that decision in my opinion. And it is US Airways after all, they were probably expecting an emergency landing.

• Shadowfax says:

Children would get in the way too. Does that mean that those of us who don’t like screaming kids on planes win the argument we had last week in the Bob Saget thread? ;)

Point being, the ADA is pretty specific about understanding that disabled people might get in the way in certain events, but that they have the right to be there anyway.

After all, what if the bus turned over, and the disabled guy was in the way? What if the train crashes and the disabled guy is in the way? What if the light turns green but the guy with forearm crutches is still struggling to get across the intersection? Perhaps we should just make it illegal for disabled people to leave their property ;)

• nakkypoo says:

The airline’s concern was that there was no one to assist him in an emergency and that could pose a danger not just to him but to other passengers.

Unaccompanied minors pay an extra fee so that airline employees will assist them. This guy didn’t pay an extra fee and didn’t bring anyone with him, thus he had no assistance if he needed it. And kids are quite a bit smaller than grown men in wheelchairs, you can simply kick a kid out of your path.

• nakkypoo says:

Incidentally, I don’t think this was handled properly at all. He was apparently already on-board the plane, so it seemed he was cleared to fly. The airline should have found someone to assist him, either by the man paying some fee to have an airline employee do it, or another passenger volunteering. Saying essentially “get off the plane because we can’t help you if there’s an emergency” was clearly wrong.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Reading comprehension fail. He said it was a civil rights issue, but that it was NOT like Rosa Parks.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Ah, wait. Reading fail on my part. I thought I had read in a different article that he didn’t want to be compared to Rosa Parks. According to this article, he did.

• tfcocs says:

As a person with a disability, let me just say that I make darn sure that I am not seated by the emergency exit just for that reason. Fortunately for me, I look fairly “normal”, so people rarely play doctor with me and tell me what my needs and skills are.

12. PsiCop says:

The airline wants to “use him as a sounding board”? What good could that possibly do for anyone? What’s the point of it … other than, perhaps, to pick up a few “talking points” the airline could use, the next time it’s caught giving grief to disabled people?

• Nighthawke says:

Well, you don’t see the whole picture. Using him as a sounding board, they just sucked themselves into a consultant’s trap. He can listen, smile, and say, “OK, that answer will cost you such and such dollars’.

Suckers.

• Sumtron5000 says:

YES! I was just about to say that. The airline thinks this is a smart PR move? They better pay him a big consulting fee.
        “U.S. Airways Asks Disabled Man to Work for no Pay”

• Verdant Pine Trees says:

They probably realized as a speaker (and frequent flyer), he has many, many opportunities to explain how they handled the situation poorly. It makes sense for them to not only apologize and attempt to fix the situation, but also improve it with his help.

So yeah, PR move.

13. ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

A lot of Consumerist commenters don’t seem to understand just how truly fucked you are if the plane is engulfed in flames anyway. There is a reason the people who are most likely to survive plane crashes are big strong men, and the sad truth is it has nothing to do with their ability to not impede the aisles- it has a lot more to do with their ability and willingness to step on and climb over the women, children, disabled, etc. that tend not to survive these ordeals.

You think if you break something (and the odds are very good you will) in a plane crash, you won’t be getting in the way?

• HogwartsProfessor says:

+1.

• cluberti says:

I think the statistics were that the bulk of people who were lucky enough to actually survive an airline crash tended to instead be killed by the events in the aftermath of a crash (flooding, fire, toxic smoke inhalation, etc). The plane is built for flying, not for surviving a crash, and is filled with toxic materials that makes the resulting fire from the crash incredibly toxic even in small amounts. There’s not much you can do when that jet fuel starts on fire, and all of the exits are mangled because that commercial airliner is basically an aerodynamic cylinder with wings designed to stay aloft, not to keep you safe if you drop from 30,000+ ft. Do survivors happen? Yes, but I can almost guarantee it’s not the old lady in the wheelchair next to me, and probably not myself either. The fact she can’t walk and I can isn’t likely to save us if we both burn to death or pass out from fumes within about 15 – 20 seconds after impact.

• mrchuck85 says:

There was a study which showed most people die from flash burns to the lungs from the JP-8 fireball. It was part of the motivation behind that uber expensive robotic 707 NASA crash to test fuels that were flash resistant.

TIP: Hold your breath if you feel the plane is going to crash. Inhale after you feel your face on fire for awhile.

• AlphaLackey says:

I can understand the mentioning of “ability”, but what’s with “willingness” — you don’t think women and children are willing to do whatever they could to escape?

14. OPRAH says:

gss bng slfsh ss s cmmn thng nw wth Cnsmrst cmmntrs. Wll, fck y dsbls. Y slfsh trds mpd n m chnc f srvvl. G cptlsm bs!

• ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

Working under the presumption that most Consumerist commenters are American, this country is destined for third-world hell-holery.

Just because it’s not happening overnight, it doesn’t mean it’s not happening.

• runswithscissors says:

I knew from the headline that there would be a ton of OP blame. A good chunk of commenters on here are totally heartless and lack empathy for anyone. I’ve seen them blame babies for dieing for pete’s sakes.

Partly it’s “Just World Theory” at work in a self-defensive manner, other times it is just the usual “I’ll stand out by being the hard ass who goes against the grain!” mentality.

And of course we have 2-3 regulars who simply ALWAYS blame the OP, no matter what.

In any case, it is quite depressing to read over and over, story after story.

• tbax929 says:

I agree, and it’s a shame. Consumerist used to have an “audition” period before you were allowed to unleash your trollery on others. Not so much anymore.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

hey now, when the zombies come you only have to outrun us to survive

15. AustinTXProgrammer says:

I seem to remember the threshold being along the lines of being able to transfer from the isle chair to a seat. My wife is disabled, but she flew by herself before we met.

We know a quadriplegic where TSA insisted that he stand (100% impossible..), but other than that the airlines have been pretty good. We always had great experiences with TSA too (Especially in Minot ND, those people are the nicest TSA screeners you will EVER meet!).

16. vastrightwing says:

What is the threshold? I mean, if you are in a cast, can you fly? What medical problems should prevent you from flying? I’d love to see a list. If you’re too old, should you be allowed to fly? Too young? This opens a whole can of worms it seems to me.

17. Mcshonky says:

Isn’t helping passengers the stewardess’ JOB??????

18. sopmodm14 says:

wow

they should have this rule for their executives also

US airways is fail

19. bwcbwc says:

“Not being able to help himself, and not being able to help other passengers.”

Was he sitting in an exit row?

20. DragonThermo says:

Holy cr@p! Someone who does not see suing a corporation as a way to get rich quick?! The OP could sue and definitely win hands down and never have to work a day in his life ever again.