Toy Submarine Recalled After Doing Damage To Little Boys' Private Bits

Munchkin Inc. and the Consumer Product Safety Commission has recalled 34,000 of the pictured toy “Bathtub Subs” because they have been a little harsh on the most personal parts of some young lads.

From the CPSC:

This recall involves battery-operated bathtub submarine toys. The toy is yellow, has a smiling face, turquoise windows, an orange propeller and an orange periscope that turns the toy on and off. The intake valve has a water pump that sucks in water to propel the submarine… The intake valve on the bottom of the submarine toy can suck up loose skin, posing laceration hazard to children.

According to the recall announcement, there are currently 19 known incidents — one requiring medical attention — of lacerations to boys’ genital area.

The toy was sold for around $7 at stores nationwide between Nov. 2009 and Sept. 2010.

Regardless of whether your child’s male or female, it’s probably best to take the CPSC’s advice on this one and take the product away from the young ones.

Contact Munchkin at (877) 242-3134 anytime or visit the company’s website at http://www.munchkin.com/ for information on getting a free replacement toy.

Bathtub Toys Recalled by Munchkin Due to Risk of Injury [CPSC]

Comments

1. DoktorGoku says:

Penis lives in a yellow submarine

a yellow submarine

2. rookie says:

NOW I’m told…

3. bigTrue says:

How old are these kids? Could it be they’re just getting to the “age of self exploration” a bit early and since it’s an “intake valve” they’re using it in a non-child friendly way to masturbate?

• mxjohnson says:

If you’re not in therapy, you should be.

• pastthemission says:

the ‘age of exploration’ starts at birth and it’s not so much ‘masturbation’ as it is ‘oh that feels good’ so I doubt that the little kids are trying to use the submarine as a sex toy.

• mcnerd85 says:

You’re entire response creeped me the heck out. I hope you didn’t mean it as it sounded. Little kids don’t quite think on that level bro.

• Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

I recall playing with things that felt good when I was little. It’s not sexual; that is a perception and label that adults put on it.

As adults we see things like that as “bad” because we have been told by other people it is dirty and shameful and naughty. Kid’s don’t start thinking like that until they get told by adults that certain activities are not approved of.

If you were never told that masturbation was frowned upon, if our society didn’t condemn the practice due to religion and mores, you wouldn’t think twice about doing it.

Also, little kids don’t have a fully developed sexual functioning. Therefore to them, playing with themselves merely feels “funny”. There is none of the baggage which adults attach to it.

• Moosenogger says:

Children (especially young children) have a tendency to do “what feels good.” As a teacher/daycare worker/anyone who takes care of young children, you’ll always get at least one child who does some “exploration” during school or daycare hours. Young children haven’t learned the social rule that public masturbation (or simply touching yourself) is frowned upon, so they feel no shame in doing so. It’s a completely normal part of childhood.

The only time caretakers need to take further action is when the child is experimenting too much. This could mean that some kind of sexual abuse may be happening to the child. (And that’s when DCF is called.)

• bigTrue says:

So, the fact I’m acknowledging that children touch themselves because it feels good creeps you out? I think you have some issues you need to work out in the whole “It’s just life and it shouldn’t bother me.” department.

If you took anything pedo or otherwise creepy from that statement, that’s on you. Nothing of that nature was even implied here by me.

• Marshmelly says:

You’re the one that brought it up first if I’m not mistaken…how does mcnerd85 have issues? I found your comment a bit off putting as well…if not just for the use of the word “masturbating” in reference to children. Regardless of whether or not they do “explore”, it seems inappropriate to mention in a comments section.

• bigTrue says:

I made the comment that it probably happened because the kids were sticking it on the penis as a form of masturbation or self exploration.

Saying that any adult talking about kids touching themselves is “creepy” shows some inbred issues in that person. Kids touch themselves. It’s part of life. It leads to masturbation further down the line, I just said the word. It’s a very clinical word and no adult should “feel funny” about it at all. Get over your conservative issues and learn that open minded communication about sex is the only way to have healthy, happy thoughts about in the future.

I recommend reading Savage Love every week and taking everything Dan Savage says to heart. Being GGG is the most important thing anyone can be!

• hoi-polloi says:

The only thing I took exception to was referring to kids touching themselves as masturbation. I think of masturbation as sexual (which the dictionary seems to agree with), and kids that young are just exploring. Obviously, the line between those gets really blurry around puberty. My kid has been touching his junk in the tub ever since he was coordinated enough to manage it. Some things he does things to his penis that look downright painful.

One thing’s for sure. I don’t want a little toy boat overriding my decision to leave my kid’s foreskin intact.

• hoi-polloi says:

Another thing’s for sure. I’d really like an edit button.

• banmojo says:

dude, circumcision all but eliminates risk of penile carcinoma, plus makes acquisition of STDs much more difficult. Check it out, then make an informed decision, not based on religious or folklore reasons, but rather whats best for the overall quality of life for your child. Just my 2 cents bro.

• Pinklette says:

Actually I did look into it, and in the modern western world it makes more sense to not mutilate my child for societal conventions.

• hoi-polloi says:

Beat me to it. This is something my wife and I researched, considered, and decided against. In full disclosure, this is coming from both an informed and emotional position. My son was born extremely premature, and had a rough go of it. While my kid was still in the NICU, our doctor asked my wife and me if we discussed circumcision. I told him I thought our son had been thorough enough already. He nodded and said, “Good,” which was ample medical endorsement for me.

• Chaosium says:

Uh, unless I’m somehow missing something sinister, you seem to be the delusional one in the argument, not him.

4. Bodger says:

A conspiracy? I sense the hidden hand of the powerful IMU (International Mohel Union) at work trying to “cut” (sorry!) the competition. Why hire a professional mohel when the kid can do the job himself for only $7 ?

5. Hungry Dog says:

It only gets worse with age for some people

“Hello 911. Yeah it’s stuck in a window this time.”

6. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

When I was just a wee lad, my mom gave me a hand operated egg beater to play with in the tub. It was great fun, till one time I got it a bit too close to my bits and it grabbed me good, pulled it right in there and stuck. I screamed like hell, not because it hurt, but because it scared me. My parents came in and unstuck me and collapsed in hysterical laughter. No damage done physically and I was too young to know about penile pride.

They still tell that story sometimes. Gotta admit, from a perspective of many years later, I agree it must have been freaking hilarious.

7. Coles_Law says:

After much thought, I can only conclude the following:

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

8. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

there once was a boy in a tub
    who wanted to play with his sub
    he stuck it in
    with a grin
    and now his profile say ‘cut’

9. MustWarnOthers says:

It seems more logical to me that instead of recalling the toy, they should be raising the price for the newfound, additional features.

• PhelpsG says:

Yes… I’m reminded of that famous, or infamous, Harry Potter Vibrating Broomstick (google Nimbus 2000 for the details).

• Bativac says:

I just Googled it… LOL

My wife is a Harry Potter fan. I wonder if I can find one of these things for her on eBay.

10. fsnuffer says:

When I was growing up I had a wind up float plane. Once the plane taxied into my winki at full throttle with a very audible thwak. I did not need the government to issue a recall, I just stopped pointing the airplane towards my package

11. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

aside from being female and it damaging less important bits, it reminds me of the wind up paddleboat my sister and i had as kids. we’d be playing with it in the tub and going along just fine until she stuck it in my hair. i got a haircut and we lost the boat

12. zombie70433 says:

Did anybody just picture the vacuum cleaner scene from “Scary Movie”

13. Promethean Sky says:

Involuntary sphincter pucker while reading that. OWWWW, that’s gotta hurt.

14. Bkhuna says:

We all live in a Yelow Bris-marine

15. Gulliver says:

It’s never too early to work on lengthening.

16. momtimestwo says:

I heard of a mom who at bathtime dumped a lot of her son’s favorite toys in the tub, one of them was a plastic shark, and the little boy got in the tub and sat down… on top of the shark. It cut into his anus, they took him to the emergency room. The ER had to call child welfare. In the end if all worked out ok, but I make sure there are no pointy things in the tub for my kids to play with now.

17. r586 says:

but yet the mogen and gomco clamp remain just fine on the market and they are intended to do permanent and irreversible harm to the genitals.

18. webweazel says:

While younger, and playing with the tubbie toys, the mantra always was;
    Don’t sit on the sub!

19. banmojo says:

So they built in an anti-torpedo mechanism into this sub, huh? heh heh heh

20. Dasher78 says:

As the parent of a small boy, let me just say that he holds ALL his bath toys between his legs. It keeps them from floating away. I think the lacerations are an unintended consequence of design meeting behavior, as opposed to kids actively sticking body parts into the intake valve.