Pizza Place Employee Forces Customer To Undress, Beats With Pipe

A Dallas-area pizza parlor employee forced an elderly customer to undress and beat him with a pipe after he tried to pay for his $17.60 meal with someone else’s credit card. According to the police report, the worker did it because he was “sick and tired of this type of thing happening at his business.”

“He was hitting this old man repeatedly and basically he made him remove his clothes to where he was just completely naked,” a witness told the Dallas Morning News. “The guy grabbed his genitalia and curled up in a ball and he was moaning.” The employee then took him out back and start wailing on him with a pipe.

The customer was arrested for credit card abuse. Police didn’t arrest the employee because they said the abrasions and bruises didn’t warrant it, but they did refer the case to the Crimes Against Persons Division.

Fair Park-area restaurant employee makes theft suspect undress, beats him [Dallas Morning News] (Thanks to Brandon Savage!)

Email ben at consumerist.com

Comments

1. Genuineduck says:

I’ve tried thinking of a reponse but all I can say is what the f?

I’m at a loss for words..

• Yentaleh says:

Ditto…….what can you say to this???? An elderly person? COME ON! Just decline the card, and call the cops. This is absolutely sickening!

• Hoss says:

It happens every day that homeless people are abused and cops look the other way because the victim isn’t credible. (And if the victim happens to be illegal, hell, more the reason.)

• freelunch says:

I would prefer to see the police report… ‘completely naked’ may be an exageration, and the pipe may not be the iron bar that comes to mind…

Last week there was news of a naked man going on a shooting spree with an AK-47 in East St. Louis…
      later reports clarified that the ‘half naked’ man (wearing sweatpands and socks) was shooting an unknown type of ‘assault’ rifle.

Since the news likes to sell the story, I am more believing that maybe the guys shirt or something got ripped off in a struggle (maybe?) and he was getting hit with a PVC pipe, or something with similarly low mass that wouldn’t leave any real damage…
      … And elderly?? I’d like to know how old this guy is that they are calling elderly.

2. Lucky225 says:

OMFG, how do we know it was someone else’s card, because he refused to show ID?

• comatose says:

I see what you did there…

• flip says:

lets see. Credit card has one name on it. his ID reflects another….hmmm….

• Lucky225 says:

Let’s see my credit card has one name, my ID reflects another.. guess by your definition I’m a thief by possessing my own credit card? Oh fact that I got married and ID reflects new name, credit card which is not expired yet reflects old, I’ve obviously stole my own identity. *rolls eyes*

• RvLeshrac says:

My credit card, debit card, driver’s license, car registration, and voter registration all have slightly different forms of my name on them.

And people ask me why I’m against the wacky voter ID laws down here.

• trentblase says:

I know it’s a joke, but you raise an important point. Apparently, it was someone else’s card, but there’s no evidence it was unauthorized. Recently Consumerist ran a story about a woman who lent her AmEx to a homeless man to buy a drink, and the card was subsequently returned. If the homeless man was unfortunate enough to have wanted a pizza from this place, he would have been beaten having done nothing illegal, despite having someone else’s card.

3. Nighthawke says:

And cue the lawyers in 3, 2 ,1….

I can see a civil suit being filed pro bono by some ambulance chaser, putting the place out of business.

4. MikeB says:

So, if I make an old man strip and beat them with a pipe, as long as I only hurt him a little bit I won’t get arrested? Good to know.

5. Alter_ego says:

So there were bruises and abrasions, just not enough of them? How does that make *any* sense?

• ArtlessDodger says:

Agreed. The man was beaten with a pipe, but wasn’t beaten hard enough to warrant an arrest? That’s total bullsh*t.

The guy using someone else’s credit card was definitely in the wrong, but a public beating is a seriously out of line response.

• mmartinek says:

If there are only superficial markings I don’t quite think he was actually “beaten” with a pipe. It was probably something else, a hose or something but has been hyped up to “a pipe”.

If you beat on an older person with a metal pipe you very quickly leave bruises, broken bones, etc.

Still, unwarranted. Based on the story the thief was not violent or confrontational. Why he would have followed the orders in the first place I don’t understand.

Hmm, please follow me in the back while we verify your identity.. Ok, now get naked.

This story seems to have several significant holes in it.

• common_sense84 says:

Because the “victim” was attempting credit card fraud on the business and the injuries are superficial.

The story is all essentially hearsay. So the cops will arrest the fraudster and have to do further investigation before they can determine if a crime was committed by the employee and if there is enough evidence to charge him.

The word of the criminal is not evidence.

• Griking says:

Perhaps the old man didn’t file a complaint.

6. edicius is an acquired taste says:

“Police didn’t arrest the employee because they said the abrasions and bruises didn’t warrant it, but they did refer the case to the Crimes Against Persons Division.”

Really? REALLY?!

I understand arresting the customer – that’s credit card fraud, essentially. But the employee was guilty of assault.

We live in bizarre times, friends.

• denros says:

It hurt my brain also, until I accepted the only logical explanation:

The old man was / is indestructible.

Cops: “What’s all this then? Ole’ indestructible Amos, back at your ID theft game again, eh? Off to the slammer with ye!”

• DeepHurting says:

You’d think he would be a little more creative with his shenanigans if he were indestructible.

• jsl4980 says:

Hey if it was your credit card the guy had stolen how would you feel? I’d be pretty happy to hear that the person attempting to steal my identity got an embarrassing beat down.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

the linked article doesn’t say but it may not have been a stolen card. years of working as a cashier i saw hundreds of times that family members sent someone out with their credit card. maybe it belonged to a family member or friend who meant to pay for the food. not everyone knows or cares that it’s not legal use of a credit card

• jeff_the_snake says:

if an elderly man stole my card and tried to buy food with it its because he’s either desperate or senile. I have to say I would not want him beaten on my behalf.

• Suburban Idiot says:

I’d rather him be punished through the fullest extent of the law. I’m not a fan of vigilantes taking things into their own hands.

Beating someone up is against the law. I’m terrified that the police in the city where I live don’t think it’s appropriate to arrest someone who admittedly committed the crime.

• kobresia says:

Well, from the perspective of the restaurant employee, this was theft directly from him.

Stealing a credit card or additional pieces of someone’s identity in order to commit fraud can be a major hassle to sort-out, but at the end of the day, it’s ALWAYS the merchant who loses. The credit card companies don’t lose money, they just take the money back from the merchant and assess chargeback fees on top of it all. The cardholder whose identity is compromised is likewise not responsible for the fraudulent activity.

Getting caught with a stolen card is no different than reaching over the counter and trying to grab a fistful of cash out of the till. I can certainly understand why the guy might’ve been really mad, especially if it happens fairly often. Theft is not okay just because the thief is old or homeless. Two wrongs don’t make a right, but I really have a difficult time mustering any outrage over the degradation and mild corporal punishment of a common THIEF.

• knoxblox says:

Well, it’s a good thing the old man wasn’t protesting, or the police would have beat him, too.

• Shenanigans Was Taken says:

If he made physical contact with the victim to cause to cause those abrasions it is battery, not assault.

Assault does not involve contact, it is typically appears in the form of threats, implied, or attempted but unsuccessful acts of violence.

Not a lawyer.

• edicius is an acquired taste says:

Not a lawyer, but you play a good one on Consumerist! :)

I would have thought with all those years of watching L&O, I’d know the difference between assault and battery. I genuinely appreciate the lesson.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

It’s assault and battery, and whatever forcing someone to disrobe against their wishes in public is.

With any luck, some good samaritan will just beat the shit of of the guy on his own, since the cops apparently don’t care.

• webweazel says:

Okay, it would be one thing if it was a “he said she said” situation, but there was an impartial witness to this beating, and he still wasn’t arrested? Something doesn’t pass the smell test here, and it’s not the pizza.

• Shadowman615 says:

According to the story, the guy even admitted to doing it! And the police found the guy naked (which is really a bizarre aspect to this story btw) when they got there.

• Shadowman615 says:

Looking at some other articles it looks like the guy is soon going to be charged with aggravated assault. Police are still investigating.

I wonder if the news had not gotten involved if the guy would have gotten away with it though. Police just ignoring the beating of a homeless minority wouldn’t surprise me.

7. ThinkerTDM says:

I’m glad the police got the real criminal! Top notch “serving and protecting”!

8. digital0verdose says:

What… the… fack!?!?!

I get the old guy was trying to get a free meal, which is bad. I also have a strong dislike for credit card fraud, but seriously, wtf?

• Lucky225 says:

Who even says the guy was ‘Getting a free meal’. It could have been a family member’s credit card, or a card in an alias, to which he had signed the back of in the same name, thus making it a valid card. I use my wife’s credit card as ‘credit’ all the time when debit is not available, no one ever gives me any flack over it, though I know technically they could decline to take the card if they matched signatures.

• frank64 says:

But then would the cops have arrested him?

• indeeme says:

The cops don’t judge the case – or they’re not supposed to anyway. Yes, they would have arrested him, if it *appears* he committed a crime. They don’t only arrest guilty people, you know.

It’s absolutely possible the customer is completely innocent. Especially considering the fact that these particular cops obviously have such poor judgement anyway.

• Lucky225 says:

That was exactly my point, I *DID* click through and read the article. I don’t care that he’s being held on $3800 bail, my point is we know nothing about why this particular person had a card in a name other then his own, and these cops don’t appear to have the best judgement themselves.

• digital0verdose says:

You should care about the bail. That is an indicator that some research was done as to who owned the card and if the guy using it was supposed to be doing so.

You can’t just arbitrarily ignore bread crumbs of info because it doesn’t suit the story you have in your head.

• digital0verdose says:

I have to imagine that checking for any sort of ownership is part of the protocol for a police response to something like this and the fact the guy is in prison on a $3500 bail would indicate that he was indeed being a bit of a thief.

That said, it is generally a good idea to read through the linked articles because The Consumerist has a bad habit of posting highlights while missing the important proof from the actual stories.

• indeeme says:

Yeah, and you’d think an arrest of the person who committed an assault would be part of the protocol for a police response to assault.

The victim has a previous drunk driving conviction. That’s not the same as previous credit card fraud. And what $3500 is supposed to be some huge amount of bail? Like the amount of bail indicates his guilt? Doesn’t sound very guilty to me. Sounds like he didn’t have the means to make bail.

• digital0verdose says:

O_o

Feel free to quote where I said previous run-ins with the law mean he is guilty.

After you do that, realize that a person does not just get thrown into a prison cell with a $3500 bail for using their wife’s card.

And how does using someone else’s card not make someone sound guilty?

• Simon Barsinister says:

“I’d like to pay my bail please. Here is my credit card.”

9. Costner says:

So I guess if you are a pizza parlor employee you are free to force customers to undress and beat them with a pipe.

Where can I get an application for this place? Sounds like the benefits package is incredible.

10. AstroPig7 says:

Nothing short of a long string of expletives and a lawsuit can do this story justice. No one was being physically threatened, so why was violence merited? When a mobster does this, it’s a crime, yet when a pissed-off waiter, cashier, or what have you does it, it’s okay? WTF?

11. massageon says:

Wow, overreact much? In the land of camera/video phones, I wonder if anyone got a video, so the police can see the extent of the beating which took place. This could be blown out of proportion (although beating someone with a pipe “lightly” still wouldn’t be good)

12. tedyc03 says:

Just another example of what’s wrong with cops in America…

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I think the pizza place employee beating an old man with a pipe is more of an example of “what’s wrong in America.”

• tedyc03 says:

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Disagree. A police officer is expected to uphold the law much moreso than a citizen.

It’s understood that citizens break the law, otherwise officers wouldn’t be needed at all. But we EXPECT police officers to follow the rule of law and uphold justice. Sure, it doesn’t always happen, but we expect them to.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

That hardly excuses the behavior of the police.

• JulesNoctambule says:

But forcing a stranger to strip and beating them with a pipe is just dandy and in no way troubling? Wow.

• Hoss says:

I suspect the thought was cops looking the other way because the victim is a certain social status (homeless, illegal or both) is what’s wrong

13. dolemite says:

Um…umm…

Wait…this was in America? “Well, he didn’t beat him THAT badly…so no arrest was made”. What?

14. theycallmeGinger says:

The employee wasn’t arrested?? What the… But why didn’t… And how… ??

Jeez, I understand these issues can be complicated, but no matter what the case — stripping and beating a man is not warranted unless in self-defense.

15. Anonymously says:

How can vigilante justice be so wrong when it feels so good?

16. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

The customer was arrested but not the employee?

This is what’s wrong with the world.

17. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Regardless of if the beating was “too light” the whole undressing thing should put the employee under psych evaluation! WTF?!

• Shadowman615 says:

Yeah, um, I’m not sure I can even begin to understand what was going on there…

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

Maybe he just wanted to see his penis. What part of this are you not understanding?

18. pot_roast says:

A local news report said that the thief was a transient and already had cuts & bruises on him. The restaurant employee can still face charges. The victim was treated at the scene but not transported to a hospital.

Relax, Internet Armchair Quarterbacks.. the guy will probably wind up getting arrested for this incident anyway.

19. sufreak says:

I’ve seen similar situations with police and pizza places. Many restaurants give a law enforcement discount, (not a bribe or anything illegal), and so, some things can be overlooked.

• Ouze says:

Yes, but generally “some things can be overlooked” only covers stuff like expired meters and doubleparking, not, you know, elder abuse.

• chargernj says:

a “law enforcement discount” is in and of itself illegal.

• sufreak says:

I don’t know if that qualifies as illegal. Many peoples give a discount out of gratitude to members of public service squads, such as fire, police, emt, etc. I think if you are getting something deliberate in return, it is illegal.

• Costner says:

I have to disagree. In fact hospitals in my area go a step further and offer free meals to police officers. Their reasoning is that it ensures a high probability that at least one police officer is in the facility at any given time in case they are needed, and since the police officers have to stagger their meal breaks to some degree, it works out pretty well.

• chargernj says:

The reason is exactly because “it ensures a high probability that at least one police officer is in the facility at any given time”. Now at a hospital, there are very valid reasons to have a police officer in the building, in fact, many larger/urban hospitals have one of two on premises most/all of the time as a matter of policy.

But for the guy running the local pizza shop it doesn’t hold true. So if you’re a punk looking to rob some store, are you going to go to the place that always has cops hanging out, or the one that never does? It actually encourages officers to hang out at the restaurants that give them a little “extra” at the expense of businesses that that do not. Which is unfair, because they all are supposed to be entitled to the same protection.

20. cynical_reincarnation says:

I actually have no problem with this…

21. cardigan says:

Are these people living in Bizarro World?! This guy is found wailing on a naked, helpless elderly man with a pipe, and yet the police don’t arrest him for assault? I am stupefied, absolutely stupified about this.

22. Angus99 says:

The article seems to imply that patrons at a “nearby restaurant” witnessed this.

I find that it’s always nice on a first date to go a good restaurant, and watch somebody get stripped naked and beaten with a pipe. It reallys sets the mood.

23. ARP says:

This is totally wrong, but my guess is that if did actually commit credit card fraud, he’ll probably think twice about doing it again.

24. Cheap Sniveler: Sponsored by JustAnswer.comâ„¢ says:

Cue Chief Wiggum taking the call….

“Do you guys still make those calzones? Yea? We’ll be right there!

• Cicadymn says:

Book ‘em Lou…Whoa whoa whoa wait a minute Lou, not the pizza guy. My calzone’s not done.

But chief, he made the old man get naked and hit him with a pipe!

Yea yea so I’ve heard, likely story

He was naked and bruised on the ground when we got here!

Like so many other crafty homeless in this town. Now take the old man away Lou! I’ll be right there in about half an hour. Hey, can I get some of those little green banana peppers to go with my calzone. Heh. Heh. Banana peppers, don’t look like bananas at all.

25. UnicornMaster says:

I don’t think the punishment fit the crime…

26. CherieBerry says:

“His business”??? Bitch, you are fired. That business doesn’t give a damn about you. No need to beat an old man up.

27. brianary says:

“Look, I came in here for an argument!”

“Oh, oh, I’m sorry. This is Abuse.”

28. GearheadGeek says:

Hmmm… using an iffy credit card in an iffy-sounding restaurant (from its reviews) in an iffy part of Dallas… with a VERY iffy employee manning the register and the security pipe. I think DPD should have hauled them both in, but they probably didn’t ask if the guy w/ the iffy credit card if he wanted to press charges against pizzaBoy until they’d leaned on him for a while and had him somewhere between nervous and scared, so their excuse will be that he didn’t immediately say he was willing to press charges against the pizza pounder and THEY didn’t witness the beating.

Funny, this doesn’t make me any more excited to go to the State Fair this year…

29. Mole90 says:

There’s more to this story.

The old man was also trying to get a senior’s citizen discount but was only 49.

THAT BASTARD!!!!

30. oldwiz65 says:

If anyone ever doubted that the police are there to “serve and protect” this is clear example they are NOT there to protect you. In the inner city, no one trusts the police and with good reason. The the police wonder why they get no help from residents and it’s very simple; they firmly believe that just talking to the police will get them arrested, whether or not they have committed any crime at all. When you live in the inner city, the police are NOT your friends; they are there to toss you in jail for any reason or no reason.

Remind me not to go anywhere near Dallas, where the police don’t give a rat’s tushie if you get beaten with a pipe. They arrest the victim for credit card fraud, which clearly shows they are interested in protecting businesses, and NOT citizens. Or did the police beat the homeless guy again after they took him to the station?

• Sparty999 says:

I just had 5 fraudulent charges come up on my card last week. I want to beat the person with a pipe. Sure, the employee had no business doing what he’s doing… but this guy isn’t Jean Valjean either.. he wasn’t stealing a loaf of breat to feed his family, he was usingn a stolen credit card… since when was that NOT a crime?

• oldwiz65 says:

the fraud credit card is a crime, that is not the point. The point is the police didn’t care that the restaurant employee beat the homeless person with a pipe. It’s fine to arrest the person for using the fraudulent credit card, but to allow a vigilante to beat someone up is a crime in any reasonable place.

31. Macgyver says:

Are these cops f’ing stupid. The guy admitted to beating him, but yet he wasn’t arrested.
    These cops should be retrained, or get fired for not doing they jobs.

32. shlni says:

Well this was a good start to my morning… I’m very saddened by this. Punishing someone for credit card abuse is one thing, but humiliation is just unnecessary.

33. Sparty999 says:

First story like this in a while tat wasn’t a Domino’s franchise…

34. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

If only the People were there to Serve and Protect the People.

Wait. What?

• BuyerOfGoods3 says:

I meant Police. Police supposedly To Serve and Protect. Now, there’s just a ‘division’ of people in uniform who ‘may’ investigate if they think it is ‘warranted’ by how many bruises you have.

Disgusting.

35. zibby says:

That’s tough, but fair.

36. elephantattack says:

I read this and was SURE I was still on The Onion. What is wrong with people…

37. peebozi says:

it’s from the Onion, has to be.

38. brianisthegreatest says:

Someone else’s credit card… Unauthorized use? I let my girlfriend use my card sometimes. I hope she isn’t accosted–or beat with a pipe for that matter.

• sknewhouse says:

That’s what I was thinking. I cashier in a college cafeteria and we have people using each other’s cards all the time. So what? You check if they’re allowed to – I’ve never had anybody who wasn’t. And, uh, according to OUR protocol, at least, if it is illegal use of a card, you refer the case to the management, who probably sit them down in the office and call the police. You don’t assume the worst, ask them to strip down, and beat them with a pipe. You behave like a civilized human being.

39. peebozi says:

Oh, it happened in texas…i thought they were leaving the our representative republic! what’s taking them so lonG!??!?!

• GearheadGeek says:

Well, Governor Hairball is leading in the polls… he could still try to make it happen if he thinks it’ll enrich him and/or his cronies. Statements he’s made suggest he believes in the the idea of secession, at least as long as it makes nutjobs vote for him.

40. dush says:

So the employee admits assaulting the guy and nothing?
    Maybe they just didn’t have enough for an arrest but there will be charges brought later?

41. vastrightwing says:

Did anyone notice if the menu has a slice of justice on it?

42. nightmage61 says:

So there where witness right? What kind of Lilly liveried coward just watches some guy strip and beat an old homeless man. NO ONE tried to stop this guy. What kind of people are they in Dallas!

43. Tracer Bullet says:

In fairness they don’t mention what kind of pipe he was beaten with, and apparently it wasn’t enough to cause any serious injuries. I for one welcome this new form of street justice.

44. hypochondriac says:

How is beating someone with a pipe not considered assault

45. Galium says:

With these types of cops I am amazed that they did not also charge him with indecent exposure.

46. Rectilinear Propagation says:

I didn’t think that story about the woman giving a homeless man her credit card could have ended worse than him not returning it…and here’s a jackass in a pizza joint to prove me wrong.

47. Cicadymn says:

Not right of the geezer to try and use someone elses card.

But really? Making him get naked and beating him? Even if he wasn’t that bruised, he was forced by someone with a weapon to get naked and be beaten. It’s not that pizza shop guys responsibility to try and stop crime. That’s just awful. Just awful.

48. Lola says:

Sorry, I think these cable companies have enjoyed their “monopoly” long enough! Ever tried to get service when something goes wrong? Its like we’re trying to get food stamps or something! Meanwhile we’re paying a boatload to them every month for their nastiness. We need more options! I don’t love Fox, but I think I hate the cable companies even more!

49. ChilisServer says:

How was the employee not arrested? ANY bruising or abrasions warrant assault, right? In fact, some assaults don’t even leave abrasions or bruising, but they still take people in for those.
    Who cares if the old man was using someone else’s credit card? Call the police and let them sort it out.

50. Pax says:

Justice is the job of the police and hte courts – NOT individual citisens.

While the man was wrong for trying to use someone else’s card, the employee was FAR MORE WRONG, for what he did.

It’s assault, battery, sexual assault (the undressing), probably false imprisonment, and possibly a whole long list of other offenses. He deserves, and I hope he gets, prison time.

51. edrebber says:

Did the police contact the owner of the credit card to see if they gave permission to use the card? You would think that the police could also question witnesses about the beating. I would think the owner could be charged with kidnapping, false imprisonment, battery and assault. Also forcing the guy to remove his clothes should be some form of sex crime.

52. MountainCop says:

Let’s look at the list here – Colorado style:

Business owner:
    Felony assault (no battery in Colorado) with “at-risk adult” enhancement to the charges
    Felony menacing with a dangerous weapon (the pipe) with “at-risk adult” enhancement to the charges
    False imprisonment
    Kidnapping (since he forced the victim to move to another location)
    – sexual assault would be hard to prove – the motive does not appear to be sexual in nature.

Victim:
    Using the credit card of another person: if stolen, illegal use of a financial device – if used with permission of the card owner, perfectly legal and no charges.

If it were me, and given the facts above, the business owner’s bony butt would have been in handcuffs in about 10 seconds. If the card came up stolen or used without authorization, he goes to the hospital then to jail.

Disclaimer – we don’t know the entire story here… the article was very short on facts. Not surprising though…

53. MarvinMar says:

Next headline will be…
    “Nice reporter decided to loan her credit card to 10 homeless people as an experiment”
    3 buy only food.
    5 buy food and liquer
    4 return the card
    2 get stripped naked and beaten with a pipe.
    6 are never seen again

54. framitz says:

What! Didn’t arrest the employee?????????????

WTF!

55. chaelyc says:

The employee wasn’t arrested for making someone get naked in public & beating them with a pipe. That makes me feel completely ill. And so begins my boycott of the city of Dallas.

56. oldwiz65 says:

Anybody want to bet that the homeless person was black or hispanic? I doubt the police would care if a black/hispanic person got beaten with a pipe.

57. sopmodm14 says:

wow, social, legal, moral (thats the tip of the iceberg!) fails all in one incident

aint America great

58. Dalsnsetters says:

This is truly the most disturbing thing I have read in a long time.

59. lstorm2003 says:

I call bullshit on this story

60. dvdchris says:

There is evidently much more to the story.
    According to some there, the man was loud and verbally abusive, refused to leave after being told to, and pulled out a knife on the pizza worker. The ‘pipe’ was evidently a broom handle.
    Obviously things got out of hand from there.

61. neal2zod says:

Hate to be the guy calling race/playing amateur detective, but the story said the elderly man’s name is Hermilo Aguilar, so that might have something to do with the employee not getting arrested.

62. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Guess where the cops get free pizza’s.

(I used to work for a pizza joint that gave free pizzas to the cops)

63. jacobs cows says:

The employee could have just refused to hand over the food to the customer.