Netflix On Wii Now Disc-Free

Finally, the tyranny of the Netflix disc is no longer! As of today, Wii owners who had been using the family friendly gaming console to access Netflix’s streaming video selection will no longer need to take out their Wii Sports or Lego Indiana Jones disc in order to watch a movie.

The new Netflix Channel is available as a free download on the Wii Shop Channel, meaning you can convert that abused Netflix disc into the coaster it has long wished to be.

As previously reported, today is also the day that Netflix goes disc-free on the PlayStation 3, meaning users of all three major gaming consoles have access to the streaming video service without the use of a disc.

Netflix for Wii disc-free update now available [slashgear]

Comments

1. Bix says:

The update also has search and a slightly tweaked GUI.

2. dadelus says:

Woohoo!!! Now, how long before they build in a usable search feature so I don’t keep wearing out wii-motes scrolling through their entire catalog?

• CBenji says:

It is much easier to look for stuff on your computer first and find the stuff you like and put it in your streaming queue that way. Then it is there on your tv when you want it.

• Erik Hughes says:

The diskless version does have a reasonable search feature.

3. sunnypies says:

great! what about ps3?

4. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I KNEW this was going to happen, but I thought it would be annother 6 months or so.

So stupid they needed a disk to begin with, but has seemed to be the standard with adding new consoles to become netflix-ready.

5. StuffThingsObjects says:

Now, if only they would add a search function for the XBOX.

• Epsilon748 says:

It’s supposedly coming in the Xbox update in November, along with a ton of other new Xbox stuff.

• PunditGuy says:

It’s in the upcoming update. I have it now (I’m in the beta). Works a little like Google Instant, in which it guesses the results you want based on what keys you’ve typed, and updates after every keystroke. If the movie isn’t available for instant view, you can add it to your DVD queue right from the Xbox.

6. Alvis says:

Now if only all three could do it without additional fees…

7. guroth says:

Now if only Wii grew an hdmi port and 1080p output

8. mowz says:

But it won’t stream in 1080p right? Damn it. Should’ve gotten a PS3.

9. Goatweed says:

I use the netflix app on my xbox a lot, but I’ll be giving the PS3 one a spin now – being able to search is a HUGE bonus. Isn’t the HD on the x-box 1080i already? I thought it was.

netflix on the wii is handy for kids I guess, but their PQ is less then stellar for mainstream movies.

• menty666 says:

I don’t know…I like the television programming library that’s available, particularly during the day while I’m working.

With the Starz and other studio programming, there’s a pretty good selection now.

10. sodium says:

Oh good because I accidentally mailed the wii disc back and they never returned it, ha!

11. John Gage says:

My understanding (and I apologize if this was mentioned elsewhere) was that you needed a disc for both PS3 and Wii because Microsoft had an exclusive agreement with Netflix that the XBox 360 would be the exclusive direct on-line feed for Netflix. That agreement has now expired so Wii and PS3 do not need the discs anymore.

12. loquaciousmusic says:

The next logical question is, of course, when Netflix plans will go disc free. I’d love a $6.99 (or even $7.99) streaming-only plan.

13. Hi_Hello says:

awesome!!

14. Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Too bad the Wii doesn’t output in HD. Still waiting for Samsung to give me an update to my Bluray player so I can perhaps stream Netflix to my TV that way.

15. invisibelle says: