Why The Chef Hates You

Back in September, waitresses spoke outtwice — about the things customers do that really piss them off. Not to be outdone by the waitstaff, CNN got a chef to go on the record about what kinds of customer behavior has him slightly overcooking your order.

Here are some notable outtakes from the list compiled by Ron Eyester of Atlanta’s Rosebud Restaurant:

On Birthday Celebrations:

I love how a restaurant is expected to acknowledge your birthday like it’s a national holiday or something. Who invented the rule that you get a free dessert on your birthday in a restaurant? I guess we have T.G.I.Friday’s and Bennigan’s to thank for exploiting servers as they, the servers, clap their hands and chant a birthday cheer.

On Customers Rearranging Chairs & Tables:

Do you like it when people come over to your house and move your furniture around? Yeah, neither do we. We especially don’t like it when you decide to put chairs where we normally have people (i.e. our staff) walking…

[T]here was actually some logic and planning that went into putting the tables and chairs where we have them, so leave them the f#@$ alone!

On Phone Etiquette:

‘Yes, please tell me about your food’ Really? Do you not have access to the World Wide Web? It’s great when they request a verbal tour of the menu. And, why is it that all these people share an uncanny, common denominator – they all talk so slow!

See chef Eyester’s entire rant over at CNN.com.

Comments

1. pop top says:

I think any business with a phone has to deal with idiotic customers wasting the employees’ time. I always loved it when people would call the location I was working at and then ask for the numbers to the other locations of the same company. Seriously? You don’t have the phone book or the Internet?

• AstroWorn2010 says:

YES! That was reason 52 on my list of getting out of retail… I HATED that!!

• tooluser says:

Yet another reason you should never answer the phone while an actual customer is standing there.

• kujospam says:

Well pizza hut in cleveland, all of them in fact list the same number, because it goes to a call center for you to order your pizza. Thankfully that prevented us from talking with the customer over the phone. But made it annoying when you forgot the number to call in sick. I think google finally changed it so that it lists their real numbers now, but too lazy to go check.

2. Genocidicbunny says:

I never expect free stuff on my birthday, but I know that many restaurants offer that option (heck, some like Totami/Todai promote it too)

If your restaurant offers it, then while it may annoy you, you should stick to the s.o.p. On the other hand, if a customer comes in asking for free stuff just because it’s their birthday and its not your policy to offer anything, I can see why you would be annoyed.

• obits3 says:

Here’s my logic on the free birthday dessert:

On my birthday, I come to your restaurant with a LARGER group of people than I normally would. Thus, you get more business. Think of the free dessert as a marketing expense to bring in larger groups.

• Ilovegnomes says:

I agree.. not to mention the mandatory higher tip that is going to get tacked on whether we got better service or not.

• fatediesel says:

I never tell the restaurant it’s my birthday even if I know they offer something free out of fear they’ll sing. I absolutely hate hearing people sing Happy Birthday when I’m at a restaurant, whether it’s my birthday or a total strangers. If I wanted to go someplace with people singing I’d go to Chuck E. Cheese.

• obits3 says:

I agree about the singing. The would would be a better place… but I’ll take a free piece of chocolate cake. Ahh, the double edged sword that is the restaurant birthday…

• George4478 says:

My wife and I have had a standing agreement for most of our 25 years of marriage — no birthday announcements at restaurants. We both hate the singing, clapping, and yelling.

But the free cake still beckons its sweet, sweet song.

• dru_zod says:

I think having all the waitstaff singing happy birthday to you is one of the most embarrassing things there is. When they do it to other people, I’m even embarrassed for whoever they’re doing it to, and if anyone I was with EVER got them to do it for me, I would pay my check and leave.

With that said, if the restaurant does offer a free dessert or whatever on your birthday, and they can bring it to you without singing, then I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of it, if you want it. I don’t usually want it, but I have accepted free dessert on my birthday once or twice. One local Chinese buffet gives you a free lunch buffet on your birthday. I think there has to be one paying person with you and you have to show them ID, but that’s to be expected. I think every place that offers anything free for your birthday should ask for ID, really. I know a lot of people who abuse the system and claim it’s someone’s birthday when it isn’t just to get a freebie.

• Genocidicbunny says:

Then if you do tell them that its your birthday, just say you dont want any singing or clapping or whatnot. Put on a serious face when you say that, and any decent waiter will realize that you do mean it. If s/he still does the song/dance routine just point out to them why you’re leaving a slightly smaller tip.

• oldwiz65 says:

I’ve gone to places and they overhear it’s my birthday and they want to offer me a free dessert. I always smile at the waitress and say “If it’s all the same to you, I’d much rather have a kiss from you.” So far no success, onl ylaughs.

• Copper says:

As a waitress, please don’t say stuff like that. We get harassed on a very regular basis and even if you mean it jokingly, it’s still not nice. Say something like, “If it’s all the same to you, I’d rather go skydiving or fishing or something that isn’t sexual harassment.”

• Extractor says:

You dont want statements like that and have that as your avatar.

• AlphaLackey says:

Asking a person for a kiss is not, in and of itself, sexual harassment. There has to be an element of, you know, actual harassment. Like asking repeatedly once a lack of interest has been communicated. Or for that matter, there has to be an actual element of “sexual”, which doesn’t automatically follow from “kiss”, as a kiss on the cheek or forehead could hardly be said to be sexual.

Hell, going by your definition, I’ve been sexually harassed by countless waitresses, who have touched me on the shoulder or back in a friendly manner *without even getting consent* at the same time they present the check.

• Copper says:

If a customer asks me for a kiss, for me to sit in their lap or to take me home in the to-go container, I consider that sexual harassment. Coming to my job and making sexual remarks about me or to me is unwanted and unwarranted. If I was a bank teller, a teacher or an electrician, would you still think it’s okay to ask to kiss me? I know my answer would still be the same.

The difference between asking for a kiss and a tap on the shoulder to get your attention is the obvious sexual meaning behind it. In America, it is not customary to kiss strangers. Kissing is familial and sexual, whereas a quick touch on the arm or shoulder or a handshake is not automatically sexual. It can be, but that’s where context comes in.

If someone is so bold as to continue making sexual remarks, even in jest, while I am waiting on their table, I will correct them. If it continues, I will take necessary action (up to and including asking said person to leave, which I have done before, but most people don’t get to that point.) It is not okay for anyone to harass me or my waiters and men often think it’s acceptable because they’re at my restaurant, they’re spending money, I’m young, I’m in the food service industry, etc. It is not okay and you should think twice about what you consider appropriate behavior toward women.

• Galium says:

I guess Flo at Mel’s is a dead breed. As for a waitress touching a customer to get their attention, it is not much differant than jokeing with the waitress. What happened to excuse me sir, etc.to get someones attention. I worked with several waitress’s who admittedly used this ploy. They told me that making contact with a male customer, even slightly, will usually mean a good tip. It forms a bond between the female and male. If it was a male waiter the same touch would usually have the opposite affect.

• AlphaLackey says:

So you’re saying it’s okay for me to come to your restaurant and put my hand on your shoulder to get your attention, and you wouldn’t be here complaining about it? Please.

Secondly, you know full and damn well that it’s not about “getting my attention”, it’s about “getting a larger tip”. You can get my attention just fine without touching me; holding the check and standing in my field of vision, and/or saying “excuse me” works just fine. Which, funny, is exactly what waitresses manage to do when I’m dining with my SO.

The whole “it’s about context” is complete hogwash. What if me asking you for a kiss is just harmless flirting? Touching me on the shoulder without knowing whether I’m comfortable with it? Oh, that’s okay, it’s about context, so it doesn’t matter if I’m comfortable with it or not.

• DigTheFunk says:

Wow, man, just…wow. Do you REALLY think like this? While YOU may have somehow justified with crazy people semantics that it’s not harassment, many women, here in America at least, would certainly consider asking for a kiss from a girl you are not in any way familiar with to be sexual harassment. At the very least, lots of women will be made uncomfortable and think it creepy, and if it doesn’t work(by your own account), why do it?

• AlphaLackey says:

* “Wow, man, just…wow. Do you REALLY think like this?”

Do I really think that you shouldn’t call something sexual harassment if it’s not sexual harassment? Yes, indeed I do.

* “While YOU may have somehow justified with crazy people semantics that it’s not harassment…”

Saying that “sexual harassment” is harassment of a sexual nature, not “some ugly guy asked for a kiss”, is crazy people semantics?

* “many women, here in America at least, would certainly consider asking for a kiss from a girl you are not in any way familiar with to be sexual harassment.”

It doesn’t matter what “many women” think, it matters what the law thinks, because it’s a legal term used to describe an activity that can be punished under the law. And by the legal definition, asking a stranger for a kiss is not sexual harassment.

* “At the very least, lots of women will be made uncomfortable and think it creepy, and if it doesn’t work(by your own account), why do it?”

I am not advocating doing it or not doing it. My entire argument has been:

1) Asking an unknown person for a kiss does not fit the legal (i.e. “crazy person semantics”) definition of sexual harassment.

2) If the definition of sexual harassment is extended to cover asking an unknown person for a kiss, then it clearly includes touching a person without their consent as “sexual harassment”, and as that is an exceedingly common ploy specifically by waitresses and specifically to males dining alone, it is likely that the person I originally replied to commits it.

• AlphaLackey says:

A couple other things:

> “If someone is so bold as to continue making sexual remarks, even in jest, while I am waiting on their table, I will correct them. If it continues, …

… if it continues, THEN it’s sexual harassment. Do you see the difference?

With regards to the “if I was a professional, would you do this?”, I worked in IT for seven years and on several occasions had women make comments after I fixed their computer along the lines of “Oh I could kiss you, thank you so much!” Was I sexually harassed?
              Or are you going to at least come clean and admit “it’s about context” really means “it’s about gender”.

• SunnyLea says:

Fine, it’s just creepy then.

• AlphaLackey says:

I have absolutely no problem with that definition / opinion. And to reiterate, once disinterest is clearly conveyed, it needs to stop and if it doesn’t stop, then it’s harassment.

• UberGeek says:

I guess I just don’t follow the line of reasoning in this thread. If a person makes a gesture that is unwelcome and regarded as sexual in nature, it’s sexual harassment. This is determined at the receiving end. If it’s repeated by the same person, it’s elevated to a new level. If it’s repeated by different people (as in a waitress receiving a single comment from many customers), it’s still sexual harassment. If it wasn’t intended by the offender, it’s unintentional, but it’s still sexual harassment.

Regardless, the question isn’t whether it is or isn’t sexual harassment, it’s whether it’s inappropriate (legally or ethically). A request for a date by a boss during an annual review is inappropriate, but a request for a date between two patrons at a singles club in not unreasonable.

Unfortunately, it’s not usually that cut and dry and we all have to be careful. If you request a kiss from a waitress and she doesn’t appreciate the comment, it’s still sexual harassment. Even once. If a waitress touches a customer on the shoulder and it’s interpreted as being sexual in nature, it’s sexual harassment. And yes, even a handshake can be sexual in nature. He can hedge and say “It’s just a handshake”, but if some dude touches my hand during a handshake the way my wife does, he’s going to get kneed in the pills. Period. If a waitress does, she won’t get that severe of a reaction, but it’s still inappropriate.

• AlphaLackey says:

> “I guess I just don’t follow the line of reasoning in this thread. If a person makes a gesture that is unwelcome and regarded as sexual in nature, it’s sexual harassment. This is determined at the receiving end.”

That is an atrocious definition. It opens itself up to bias of all kinds, not just along gender lines, but along handsome/ugly lines, and it fails one important stink test: How can you know that it’s unwelcome until you are told it’s unwelcome?

• UberGeek says:

Yes, that definition leaves open the question about handsome/ugly, straight/gay, dull/exciting, rich/poor, eloquent/vulgar, etc. That’s why I included the bit about, “Regardless, the question isn’t whether it is or isn’t sexual harassment, it’s whether it’s inappropriate (legally or ethically).”

Being informed that something is unwelcome is a horrible “stink” test for harassment of any kind. If 100 guys ask you one time each to “go to the Champagne Room to f*** your brains out”, none of them are afforded the opportunity to know it’s unwelcome. Regardless, the victim is being harrassed if it is unwelcome. The question is still the same, “is it inappropriate.” If the victim is a prostitute and the Champagne Room is where “transactions” take place, it’s to be expected so get over it. If the victim is a clerk at a convenience store which happens to be near the local strip club, it’s not.

And if the “victim” is a stripper at that strip club, it’s the guy that’s gonna get screwed. ;)

• AlphaLackey says:

As long as the same rules apply for when it is a comely person doing it as when it is an ugly person doing it, or when it is a man doing it to a woman versus when it is a woman doing it to a man, I can live with what you propose, as a SOCIETAL definition of harassment.

As a legal definition, though, I can’t buy it — I don’t know about the USA, but I know that by Canadian law, the definition of “harassment” is airtight in supporting my claim, as this cite (http://www.mun.ca/sexualharassment/sexual_harassment/criminal_code.php) is rife with terms like “repeated”, and those that AREN’T involving “repeated” involve “following them to their house and waiting for them to leave”)

Any member of a profession that advocates “touching your customers without securing consent in advance, just to get bigger tips” immediately lacks the moral ground to say “asking for consent to do something more intimate than what I’ll do without consent is a crime, but I’m free of such judgment”.

And I know some might dismiss my point as rhetorical nonsense, but if asking an unknown waitress for a kiss is sexual harassment, I’ve been sexually assaulted by countless waitresses who do it because they think it’ll get them money.

Look at the “Subway says your sandwich is ‘cheating'” thread, which talked about a poster’s interaction with a ‘sandwich artist’ that went like:

Customer: “I’d like mustard on my sub”
                Artist: “What kind?”
                Customer: “Honey”
                Artist: “What’d you call me?”

… and BOTH PARTIES laughed.

Now, the fact that some people (including the person I responded to originally) would need to ascertain the genders of the two parties involved before determining whether it was a sexually-tinted crime, well, that tells you all you need to know about the TRUE motivation behind their “it’s not hypocrisy, it’s about ‘context'” angle.

• AlphaLackey says:

PS:

> Regardless, the question isn’t whether it is or isn’t sexual harassment, it’s whether it’s inappropriate (legally or ethically)

Funny that, but the person I originally responded to sought to define it as strict sexual harassment, and all along I thought I was advocating the line that definitions that included notions of OPINION (as opposed to legal weight) about appropriateness, etc. were another matter entirely.

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

This isn’t really tough to figure out. Sexual harassment allegations are valid if the behavior is so obviously out of social norms that no reasonable person could conclude the behavior would be wanted. It’s true that you don’t get confirmation that these were unwanted advances until you give it a shot, but come on, people. Can’t we presume that wait staff don’t want to make out with random customers?

And the only reason there are any people out there who think this is okay is because of the power imbalance between wait staff (well, waitresses) and diners. Would you people try this at H&R Block? How about at the doctor’s office? No?

• AlphaLackey says:

Not all kisses involve making out. I kissed my three year old goodnight without making out with her. Some booth babes will plant a peck on the cheek of someone taking a picture with them.

And your appeal to “being reasonable” works both ways.

• AlphaLackey says:

So just to clarify, any woman who serves a man that she finds attractive at first blush, and actually takes something positive out of a statement like “rather than free cake, I’d rather have a kiss”, is unreasonable? Any woman who is flirted with in such a matter is, by your unyielding definition, unreasonable if she finds it flattering?

• Jesse says:

I’m not a big dessert person and I get a visibly pissed every single freakin’ year when the cake shows up because my family feels compelled to tell the waitstaff it’s my birthday. Usually I can pawn it off on someone but then I have to sit there and be asked 15 times whether I’m SURE I don’t want any of the free cake.

I’ve tried to preempt and decline the free dessert but my family always convinces the waiter/waitress to bring it out. Next year, I’m choosing a place that doesn’t give half a you know what whether it’s your birthday or not :).

I feel awful for those poor people who work at chain restaurants and have to do the whole song and dance routine 40 times on a Saturday.

• bwcbwc says:

Tell your family you can’t make it for your actual b-day and go the previous or following weekend. Then there’s no free dessert from the restaurant to give you heartburn.

3. agent 47 says:

I hate hearing people complain, except when it’s me, complaining about other people complaining.

4. Darrone says:

I am actually on the chefs side for the first 2. I would give up dessert entirely to never hear a chirpy birthday song in a restaurant again.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I just solve that problem by never going to restaurants that make it a habit of forcing wait staff to sing a birthday song.

• redskull says:

You must not go out very often then.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Luckily, my wife and I are both annoyed and embarrassed by being the target of those kinds of manufactured fusses, and so we hardly ever tell a restaurant that it’s a special occasion. (There are some that we frequent and know will just quietly put a candle in the dessert (WHICH WE ORDER AND EXPECT TO PAY FOR) or something similar.)

• pop top says:

My dad once got me to stop acting up in a restaurant when I was a child (around 8 or 9 I think) but threatening to tell our server that it was my birthday…

• Jachim says:

My favorite birthday song was in the 50s & 60s themed restaurant inside The Stratosphere in Las Vegas. They found everyone (2 people when I was there) having a birthday soon or recently and sat them on chairs in the middle of the dining area. All the waitstaff gathered around and sang “THIS… IS… YOUR… BIRTHDAY… SONG!” and walked away. I almost spit soda all over the table I laughed so hard.

• Coelacanth says:

I’ve heard, “this… is… .your… birthday song. / It isn’t very long! / See ‘ya!” a few places.

5. c!tizen says:

1) None of those “gripes” listed above concern the cook.

2) Sorry for being such a pain in ass paying customer, I’ll be sure never to bother you by visiting your restaurant again, have fun in your new career as a pizza hut line cook.

• knightblade says:

He’s a chef, not the cook. And all of these “gripes” concern him.

Free food affects his bottom line/food cost, which he is directly responsible for.

Furniture being rearranged, especially during busy dinner hours disrupts the flow coming in and out of the kitchen; it makes it harder for waitstaff to do their jobs, which in turn makes it harder for the kitchen crew to do theirs.

Idiotic (and long) phone calls either pull a front-of-house worker away from their job, or it’s the chef (as a member of management) who has to field the call. Not a great thing to deal with when there is 100 people waiting for food.

“Paying customers” entitle you to the food you pay for. It does NOT give you run of the restaurant. It does NOT let you make decisions that affect the workers or the other people dining.

Cutomer service is great, but it does not include servitude.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

It actually does affect the chef. The chef runs the kitchen, and he needs the wait staff to take the food to the tables. If the staff has to gather to sing happy birthday, who takes the food? There’s no motivation for other wait staff members to serve tables from which they won’t receive a tip because the usual server is tied up in birthday singing.

• George4478 says:

By the trickle down theory how he’s affected, he should be more concerned with crime around his restaurant, the weather, the price of electricity, expiration of the Bush tax cuts, swine flu, global warming, and the coming zombie apocalypse. These all affect him far more than a moved table so should be on the list.

Yet I prefer that trickle-down items are kept off these lists so that we can see what things directly affect him. YMMV.

Moved table –no direct affect on him unless he’s delivering the dishes himself.

• SG-Cleve says:

You’re right, these don’t affect the chef.

I could see the chef getting upset about people sending food back or wanting steaks cooked extra well done, but why would the chef care about where you put your chair?

• topgun says:

I agree. If this guy is only the employee of the Rosebud, he should be drawn & quartered.
      1# I own a restaurant and if fifty cents worth of cake makes a loyal customer WTF !
      It might annoy me if people always asked for something free but we always have something that doesn’t cost me that much and is far better to be accommodating rather than snarkey. Most media advertising for me is money wasted…but positive word of mouth is priceless.

#2 I do have to agree about moving tables. It’s in the top three of my list of peeves. However if it is necessary, and sometimes it is to do so let me or one of my employees do it. Yes there is a reason for the placement. Many POS cash registers too need that conformity.

#3 No, not everyone is as bright as they should be. But when you own a business the sooner you learn that it comes with the territory. Geez I’m not happy that people cant hit a public toilet. I’m sure they don’t crap on the seats at home. And as disgusting as it is you clean it up because it comes with the business.

• Eli the Ice Man says:

#3

Actually, when on the road at my old job I lived with a couple of sick bastards. I’d wake up every morning to the sound of one hocking loogies and taking loud craps. When it came to peeing, he’d often not only pee on the seat, but he’d pee in a two foot radius around the toilet (I’m not kidding) and never clean it up. The whole bathroom smelled like pee. The landlord explained he came from a culture where women do the cleaning. I told him that was retarded because a) it’s retarded, and b) even if it wasn’t retarded, there were no women who lived with us. Yes, I moved out of the house.

• Verdant Pine Trees says:

I want to know what culture this is, so I can avoid it entirely… or at least only visit while in drag.

• UberGeek says:

6. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

Well..um. no. Some companies do offer free stuff on your birthday — Take Firehouse Subs: free Sub on your birthday if you’re on their email list. Thanks Chef.

“You don’t get free pair of gloves or socks from Old Navy when you buy an outfit on your birthday. I actually will kid with our guests and let them know that on their birthday, ‘unfortunately, our mariachi band is off this evening’ – and, people believe me!”

• RandomHookup says:

Peps Boys gives you a $10 coupon to use around your birthday…and you don’t have to buy anything more than the $10. I got a customer card when I went in to buy a soda and haven’t spent any other money there until I got the card in the mail.

• K-Bo says:

Every website I’ve ever made a purchase on (most of whom I’m 100% sure I didn’t give my birthday to ) sent me free with purchase, 20% off, free shipping or some other “goodies” for my b-day this year. I didn’t use a single one, and mostly got fed up with having 2x the normal email volume all month.

• sprocket79 says:

You actually could get free socks or gloves on your birthday for Old Navy. I got a coupon for $10 off $50 for my birthday from Old Navy. :)

7. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Reservations: Here’s a tip for all of you. If a restaurant uses Open Table and the time you want isn’t available, call the restaurant and ask anyway. Open Table only carries a portion of the reservation times – if it’s not available, that doesn’t mean the restaurant is fully booked for that time, it just means that it’s filled up the amount of requests Open Table was set to take for that time. The restaurant will still be able to make reservations for you over the phone if it has tables.

Birthdays, holidays, etc.: Some restaurants are incredible if you mention a special occasion. Some restaurants are not. I mentioned in the notes section to the restaurant (booked through Open Table) that it was my mom’s birthday. The menus for our table said “Happy Birthday” on them. That was really cool. I usually use the notes section to request a table in a particular spot. We had relatives visiting, and we made sure to note that so the staff could potentially seat us at a table with a great view. All the restaurants I have made these kinds of requests to have been very gracious.

8. Hoss says:

Is he native to Atlanta? Sounds like a northerner to me

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Some of my friends in college joked about being friends with a Yankee. Northern Virginia doesn’t count as the South, I agree, so I’m okay with being a Yankee but it was always funny to me how different we were in the way we would react to things. I have no tolerance for the birthday song at a restaurant – they’d probably grit their teeth and bear it.

• MW says:

As someone who goes to school in Atlanta but lives in the south (North Florida, but that’s still bible belt and rednecks), I can tell you that Atlanta ain’t southern.

Seriously, it’s like the 285 loop alters reality to create a portal to the north as soon as you pass into the center. I know it’s baffling to some of my northern/western/foreign classmates since they came to Atlanta with all of the southern hospitality sterotypes in mind, only to find… well… Atlanta.

9. JohnDeere says:

On Birthday Celebrations: if you dont do it, then just say so, we can go somewhere else on birthdays for now on. (and for regular occaisons too you ass)

On Customers Rearranging Chairs & Tables: if you dont like it, then just say so, we can go somewhere else with our party of 12 for now on.

On Phone Etiquette: i cant help your busy time coincides with my only free time. (lunch break) get over it or we can just go somewhere else for now on.

good thing your just the chef. you have no people skills.

• gnard says:

This used to drive me so crazy when I was in food service. Believe me, unless your chef, server, etc., hate making money, they have no problem rearranging the chairs and tables to accomodate your large party.

But let the staff do the arranging! They know how best to do it! Don’t just walk in and start moving tables. And don’t rearrange the tables and chairs after the staff has done it. The staff knows how to do this without putting the stuff in the middle of the aisle, blocking the walkway for servers and other employees.

Bringing a large party in a restaurant does not entitle you to do whatever you want. I used to HATE waiting on people like you.

• UnbelieverDjak says:

If I give the host/ess the correct number of people in my party and have a longer wait time to accommodate a larger number, I expect the correct seating when they call my name. More often than not, I’m disappointed. Missing seats or silverware, inadequate table room, etc. If it annoys the staff when I have to correct their mistakes, so be it. I’d say blame the host/ess, but I think they’re more often paid to stand there and look pretty.

• CalicoGal says:

I would NEVER move the furniture about.. I know they have the tables divided up among the servers and I wouldn’t want to take one of Mary’s tables away from her– or disrupt any other “system” the place may have.

I would ask the hostess, if there is one, or ask the waitress to make us up a larger table. And I would be very patient as I waited.

• ap0 says:

I’m just guessing, but I don’t think you’re his restaurant’s target customer anyway.

• NinjaPanda says:

Not singing a birthday song is a reason *to* go someplace, not a reason to avoid it, on their birthday.

I would assume he’s not talking about a big group rearranging furniture; most, if not all restaraunts will do this for you. They probably do have their specific way to do it that complies with fire codes, allows servers to actually serve etc. The main thing he’s probably thinking about is sticking a chair at the end of a booth in the middle of the aisle.

When I was a server, I’d be happy to take a slight pay cut to not have to deal with some of the people I dealt with on a regular basis. Hell, sometimes there was no pay cut involved or even a slight raise (we had a tip share that was X% of total sales)

• PSUSkier says:

“good thing your just the chef. you have no people skills.”

Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.

Seriously, if you would’ve acted like that and came into the restaurant I worked in back in HS, I would be happy never to see you again. Have fun at McDonalds down the street.

10. sheriadoc says:

There was this Mexican restaurant in Juneau, AK that I went to a lot. For birthdays, they came out singing, made you wear a giant sombrero, and presented you with some sort of ice cream concoction. I would get embarrassed for the poor folks. When my birthday came around, we went their to eat, and I told my guests they better tell the staff to nix the singing and the giant sombrero. So they just gave me the ice cream.

But, once there was a large party there celebrating a birthday. They had apparently brought their own cake so it would be large enough for everyone. I was seated near the door to the kitchen, and saw the server drop the damn cake on the floor. And, yes, he did bring it out a few minutes later and present it to birthday girl/boy. I was bummed I couldn’t get a good look at it to see how he patched it up.

• nybiker says:

With a cake, I don’t think there’s any sort of 3- or 5-second rule that would work. Or was the cake still in its carrying box?

• FightOnTrojans says:

We went to a restaurant for my sister’s birthday and my mom had baked a cake and brought it to the restaurant for dessert. The waitstaff sliced it up and gave it to the wrong group. Of course, the other group said nothing; they just ate the cake, and got out before anyone noticed. How rude!

• I wumbo. You wumbo. He- she- me... wumbo. Wumbo; Wumboing; We'll have thee wumbo; Wumborama; Wumbology; the study of Wumbo. says:

How racist.

11. Portlandia says:

Those birthday songs and clapping waiters are the most obnoxious thing ever. I agree, why use someone’s birthday as a way to extort a dessert from a restaurant.

12. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Dude, no one actually likes the staff singing for them on their birthday. It always sounds like shit, and clearly the staff hates doing it as much as we hate listening to it.

13. Pax says:

What ‘tards are sking for a FREE anything on their biurthday, except maybe to have the server(s) make a bit of a scene about it when bringing out the dessert I fully expect to be paying for …? And, I must add, I expect to be tipping a bit extra for the added service, too!

Maybe if you picked tables that could actually fit people without them eating easch others’ elbows as an appetiser, noone would feel it needful to move a chair.

And maybe if you stopped trying to sit six people at a table meant for 4, they’d stop pulling two tables together.

You might want to consider that the very factors that make those very busy times for you, are why people make those inquiries: THEY’RE HUNGRY, and might want to give you some of their money. STOP COMPLAINING, and put on your Salesman hat, because it’s time to convince them that yes, they want to give their money to you, not some other restaurant.

14. UnicornMaster says:

If I go to my regular bar where I spend lots of $$ I don’t expect a free drink for my birthday, but it usually happens… Sometimes not even on my bday. I like that.

15. Jenn98765 says:

I’d probably agree with his point of view if it were presented better. As it is, he should save this for his buddies at the bar. I don’t care *what* he hates. He needs to cook, not offer opinions.

16. AL8 says:

So you are complaining about people coming to your restaurant? Who cares if they expect something free…if you don’t offer it apologize and tell them no. At least they are there paying for dinner. Oh, and you are complaining that people call to make reservations at busy times….I guess you would prefer they didn’t come as a paying customer to your restaurant at all. I’m confused what this has to do with the chef anyway. Without customers you wouldn’t have a job!

• nkdeck07 says:

I think his problem lies more with the people who just do not realize they are calling at a busy time and ask just stupid inane questions, like I would constantly get calls about things like “where does your wheat come from?” and “what brand of soymilk do you carry?” during the morning coffee rush when I was a baristisa and the person I was serving could see the 10 people behind them, some people just don’t “get” that there are other customers too

17. dreamking says:

I don’t know about others’ experiences, but online copies of restaurants’ menus are almost always out of date. A ‘verbal tour’ of today’s menu seems like a not-insane request.

Certainly though, people calling a restaurant during lunch and dinner, probably to figure out where to go for lunch and dinner, is probably the most insane thing I’ve ever heard.

What a douche-nozzle.

• aloria says:

Plus, some people don’t wan’t to spend the time figuring out your ugly, entirely written in flash by your 13 year old nephew, slow loading website just to find that the menu is split into separate PDF documents for each course plus the wine and drink list.

Really, I’m not going through all that just to see if you have options for my vegetarian friends when I can find out in 5 minutes with a phone call. Be glad I chose that option rather than just skipping your establishment entirely.

• Michaela says:

I am glad you mentioned the issues vegetarians may find at eateries. While some things may be listed on the online menu, the file rarely mentions whether or not some questionable items contain meat (for example, hot and sour soup can be vegetarian, or it may include meat).

18. ophmarketing says:

“Do you like it when people come over to your house and move your furniture around? Yeah, neither do we.”

Well then it’s a good thing we’re not in your house, but, rather, in your place of EMPLOYMENT, where I am paying you to serve me.

• RandomHookup says:

When my friends come over and move around some chairs so that we can enjoy each others company better, I get so upset with them. I guess that’s why I don’t have any more friends.

• emax4 says:

Just because you’re paying for food doesn’t entitle you to move their furniture around. The restaurant isn’t whoring themselves out like that. Keep in mind that they also have to tend to various parties of various sizes. They may not be able to succeed in every case, but it’s based on how much business they’re doing at the time.

• Powerlurker says:

Actually, the author is a chef-owner (i.e. the boss), not an employee.

19. quijote says:

#7. I can’t stand having to deal with these customers always coming into my restaurant and ordering food. Do I come over to your house and order food from you? Look, I’m a busy man. I don’t have time to be “talking” to customers. Next time you’re thinking of flopping down in my restaurant, don’t. Do you think I have nothing better to do than make food all day?

20. James says:

I have a (bad?) habit of always trying to get a decent place to sit, and not always happy where I’m plunked down.

I won’t hog a booth if I’m alone or with two people, but if the restaurant is half full and I’m seated in the middle of traffic flow, or facing wall – I don’t think it’s over the top to say “I’d really like to sit there.”

I also know some places fill tables so servers have equal distribution – but if I’m paying $20 -$50 for a meal and the ambience I’d like to have the best reasonable seat possible.

• outlulz says:

But where they sit you depends on how busy a particular server is, what area a server covers, etc. So asking for an out of the way seat can throw off the waitstaff.

21. Beave says:

Those are Chef’s complaints, they’re hostess complaints.

Don’t like us rearranging your tables? Then do it yourself. Well designed restaurants have flexible seating and the ability to handle large parties. There’s nothing worse than having a party of 8 and getting stuck at a table for 6 with a chair stuck on each end. By the time food comes and some people have multiple plates for salads or complicated meals like fajitas there’s no room. And when you’re seated at a table like that and look over and 5 feet away there’s an empty table? Most people are going to move it.

For all the whining small businesses do about the economy, I still find that the waits at most of the local restaurants we like are long. My biggest peeve lately has been that restaurants are going to a “call ahead seating” arrangement. It’s not a reservation, you essentially call ahead to get your name on the waiting list. They tell you an hour, you show up in 50 minutes, then wait another half hour only to be told “Calling ahead isn’t a reservation. You still waited less than other people.” Which translates to, we know you haven’t been standing here an hour so we’re taking people ahead of you who have been.

• ellemdee says:

We had people (kids and adults) in our party STANDING at the table for a good half hour after the rest of us were seated (the waitress knew this and repeatedy promised to bring more chairs so we could squeeze them in instead of allowing us to use an extra table). We got tired of waiting and grabbed a chair from a neaby (empty) table, only to have the manager fly on over immediately and yell at us for moving chairs. He said that we should have just kept waiting.

They also made my food wrong 3 times and gave us a waitress who couldn’t do basic math. Someone’s bill was $10.50 and her eyes glazed over when they handed her a $20 bill and a $1 bill. She kept trying to give the single back insisting that we gave her too much and no amount of explaining could get her to understand why we would give her those bills. She refused to take the single and even said “I’m confused, so I’ll just get change for your $20 and then you can give it right back to me to pay the bill…ok?” Sigh…some people really just shouldn’t handle money.

• Powerlurker says:

The author is a chef-owner, not just a chef.

22. Foot_Note says:

lets not forget the #1 reason… Bringing uncontrolled brats to a restuarant.. *shuddeR*

23. regis-s says:

I just love how people take these stories so personally when they’re posted. I’m pretty sure every job has its irritants. Listing them (especially when asked to) doesn’t mean the person hates their job or is bad at it.

I think the guy has some valid complaints. Some, not so much. It probably is annoying to have one person hanging around the bar between meals monopolizing the employee’s time. But the bar is open. If the employee has other duties he should just tell the customer that after he serves him.

• Beave says:

In this case, everyone eats out at some point, and the service experience in sit down dining restaurants is typically irritating. They start the experience out by annoying you with long wait times for a table or waiting on your reservation, pack you in a dining room with more tables than it should have and more chairs at the tables than most people would consider comfortable. Then they hope that you’re relieved and happy enough with the food that you come back again.

That’s the business model for sit-down dining in the US right now, and it’s no longer the Denny’s and Sizzler’s of the world. It’s pretty much any restaurant that isn’t billing itself as fine dining.

24. aloria says:

“You don’t get free pair of gloves or socks from Old Navy when you buy an outfit on your birthday”

Lots of places other than restaurants give out freebies for people’s birthdays. Off the top of my head, Sephora gives customers a free cake-scented body wash (regardless of whether they buy something,) and Borders gives a coupon for some % off a purchase.

Of course, it’s rude to go to a place expecting something for free, but I don’t really think throwing people a free slice of whichever dessert happens to be closest to throw-out day is a huge undertaking.

• Wei says:

Also, people don’t generally go to Old Navy *because* it’s their birthday, unlike dining out. If an extra treat brings in a large group, maybe it’s worth a $1 slice of cake.

25. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

I was hoping for more kitchen related grievances, sending back steaks, strange requests etc. This sounds more like ways to piss off the hostess.

• Copper says:

Here’s my food related grievances:

People order our “sashimi grade tuna steak served rare on a sizzling platter” (menu’s exact words) and send it back because they want it well done. You should tell me you want it well done or medium well, or whatever when you ordered because now it’s going in the microwave to finish cooking.

People think “hand-cut french fries” means potato chips…

When I bring out 1/3 lb and 1/2 lb burgers to the same table, people complain that the 1/2 lb “looks bigger” than the 1/3 lb. Well, yeah.

People requesting our soups to be free of some ingredient like onion or broccoli like we make it to individual order. I always ask people if they’re actually allergic or if they just don’t like the item in it because fishing out the onions doesn’t make it onion-free.

We carry American and Swiss cheeses in slices, but cheddar only in shreds, which it says on the menu (and I reiterate when asking) and they still get upset that the cheddar isn’t a slice.

People get upset that we don’t have their kind of fry oil (olive only, canola only, sunflower, etc.; we actually carry a mixed blend of canola and vegetable that comes from Sysco) and insist that we start carrying their preference. Oil is expensive and most people don’t care.

People that want all their food on separate plates. Seriously.

People that want me to make them “something special” or “that fish thing you had last year”…

• Michaela says:

“People that want all their food on separate plates. Seriously.”

I agree with most all of your complaints, but as someone with OCD, I understand the desire to have food not touching. I know it is probably annoying, but people with this issue already have enough trouble going out to eat (which, to be a social human being, they must do). If you just follow the order, you’ve probably made a customer for life (which is good for business and possibly tips, though maybe a little bad for time and dish clean up).

• Powerlurker says:

Well, this article is by a chef-owner, so it makes more sense in that light.

26. Rectilinear Propagation says:

1) The most obvious answer to this is ‘NO’. Some people don’t have access at home. Some people don’t have access at work. Some people don’t have access while on the go because they don’t have a device like a smart phone that can access the web. Sometimes they do but they can’t get a connection.

2) Dude, you’re the owner. Hire more staff and add more lines. Why are you whining when you actually have the power to fix this problem? Hire someone as an assistant and make part of their job manning the phone lines when it’s busy.

3) You’re confused as to why people call at lunch and dinner time to ask about lunch and dinner? Seriously?

• emax4 says:

If they hire more staff, that also means that they may have to compensate for the money that will cost them. Are you prepared to pay extra or simply go to another place where you may simply end up griping there too? Quitcherbitchin’!

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Hey, I’m not the one “bitchin”, the owner is. If the owner would rather get angry every time the phone rings instead of hiring someone, that’s on him.

• RandomHookup says:

What’s the cost to the business of lost reservations and ticked off callers? Sometimes a little extra staffing might pay for itself in a few extra filled tables a week.

• dru_zod says:

It really irks me when someone like this chef guy assumes that everyone has access to the internet. Most of my older relatives do not have internet access, nor do they want internet access. Many of them don’t even have a computer. So yeah, the only way they’re going to find out about a restaurant’s menu is to go there in person or call on the phone. If some pissy chef doesn’t want them calling, then he can forget about getting their business, because they will go somewhere else.

• BeerFox says:

Seriously on #3. I just couldn’t wrap my head around the gripe there; if I want to ask about a dinner reservation, chances are good I’m going to call sometime around the dinner hours. Is this really surprising? Next up on the gripe list:

“People are always coming into my restaurant and eating a bunch of food, leaving their dirty plates for someone else to pick up. What slobs – would you do that at your mother’s house?”

“I’m sick of customers getting the bill, providing the waitstaff with a credit card, and then expecting them to process it. Our registers are busy, people!”

27. cornstalker says:

Some of these gripes make perfect sense, but on the subject of rearranging furniture — what are people with parties of more than for supposed to do? Most restaurants I’ve dined in are composed almost entirely of booths and tables meant only to seat four people. Sometimes I and and a bunch of friends (six to twelve) will want to eat someplace and we’ll have to rearrange a few things so we can all sit together. We always take care not to leave a clear path around us so anyone can get by if they want to, and we always put things back when we’re finished, but we’d rather not have to eat at separate tables, and none of the wait staff have ever complained (particularly because we also remember to tip).

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I don’t think the guy has a problem with accommodating larger parties. I think what the guy meant was when patrons just take it upon themselves to start arranging furniture the way they want to, instead of calling ahead to let the staff know that there was going to be a larger party.

28. Luckier says:

Ah, birthdays. I once managed bar at a great Italian place, owned by a family from Italy. When asked about birthdays, the dad would shake his head and say in heavily accented English, “uh, that’s Americano thing. We don’t do the singing in Italy.” And people were delighted to have this insight into traditional Italian culture.

• Beave says:

In Mexico they’ll put the sombrero on you and pump you full of shots (many directly into your mouth) for hours if they find out it’s your birthday. I find the singing annoying, but a free dessert isn’t unreasonable. I’ve never seen anyone I’ve been with demand one though, typically it’s more of a request. “Do you do anything if it’s someone’s birthday?”

29. ellemdee says:

“Why do people always seem to call the restaurant at the absolute worst time (i.e. between 12:45 and 1:30 p.m. and 7 and 9 p.m.) to inquire about our menu or make a reservation?”
    Translation: I wish all these “customers” would stop bothing us. We have a phone and they call it wanting to actually patronize the restaurant, sometimes even calling at different times that I would prefer. Sooooooo annoying!

30. Blackadar says:

The guy sounds like a twit.

Complaining when customers are calling? Hey bud, you better be glad they’re calling!

Don’t want to treat a repeat customer with some special attention? Well, then you’re going out of business.

Don’t like people arraigning tables? Then your arrangement didn’t work, because they don’t want to do that either.

31. ninabi says:

Rearranging the tables pisses the chef off?

What a surprise, me too! Went out to eat with friends. Nice evening- we chose to sit on the patio. A large group was expected later on- because staff did the mother of all moves with the tables. The scraping noises of chairs and tables on cement made fingernails on a chalkboard sound like a lullaby.

One waitperson decided, uh, a little too far to the left….

and again, for the next 15 minutes we couldn’t hear each other talk over our meal as chairs and tables got dragged yet again. Staff shouted directions to one another by our shoulders as if we didn’t exist. Horrid experience. Mediocre food clinched it- never again.

32. macruadhi says:

I really don’t care about the whole birthday thing, I think it’s stupid. As for the rest, I’m your employer for that little bit of time I’m there, you’ll damn well do as I want or you’ll no longer be employed by me in the future

33. daemonaquila says:

The moving furniture issue is (90% of the time) just silly. If your restaurant has a bunch of 4-tops, and a party of 10 show up, there’s going to be furniture moving around unless you don’t want the business. Also, if a party of 5 squeezes 1 more person in at a 4-top rather than asking staff to move another whole table over when they could seat another party at it, that’s a *good* thing. When I was a waitress, I’d never give this a second thought. There were real problems and real jerky behavior to worry about.

• Pax says:

I personally think that Restaurants are buying three-person tables, and then just parking a fourth chair at it. The tables are never big enough for the number of people clearly meant to eat there. Sit and talk, yes. Eat, no.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Well, I would hope a party of ten can call ahead. And if they don’t they ask the hostess if their party can be accommodated. Or they can rudely barge into the dining room and slide tables to and fro willy-nilly with no care for the previous arrangements. There is a choice.

34. jimmyhl says:

He’s on the money with most of his rant list with one exception: phone calls from customers. If you’re too busy to talk with customers you’re too busy to be in business or you really don’t know what your business is. Get a job cooking at the local high school cafeteria–nobody ever calls there to ask about the menu. Since turnabout is fair play, let’s play Why Customers Hate the Chef. We can start with self-important nobs who refuse to put salt and pepper on dining tables and don’t let servers bring it when asked.

35. Copper says:

The restaurant industry sucks. It really sucks. I have been a waiter/kitchen staff/manager in a few different restaurants and the only thing that really translates across all food service establishments is that the employees are crappy, the management is crappy and the customers are crappy. Anywhere you go there will be employees, managers and customers that complain about anything and everything. You can’t win all battles no matter which side you’re on and the best thing to do is to be as understanding as you can be.

The only complaint that [I think] works 100% of the time is everyone should READ THE MENU. Employees should know it in, out, and backwards and customers should actually read it. As a customer, when you order a “sashimi grade tuna steak served rare on a sizzling platter” and send it back because it isn’t cooked all the way, you’re doing it wrong.

36. kittylauper says:

The part under #3 about the customers who want to chit-chat for ever while you’re trying to either get work done or have a nice peaceful shift? TOTALLY FUCKING TRUE. It happens in coffee shops. Just because I don’t have a customer doesn’t mean I don’t have other shit to do, and even if I don’t have other shit to do I’d rather stand here staring at the wall than chatting with you about your dog, favorite band, etc.

• chaquesuivant says:

You’re not that bitch named Kitty who works at a certain place in Eugene ‘Land O’ Douche-bags’ Oregon are you? If you’re not I think you have a clone. If you don’t live in Eugene, you might want to at least visit. The place, especially the restaurant trade – is full of assholes like you and the above chef.

Of course, I guess it would be annoying it is when a solitary, chatty customer stands between you and your joint and/or meth in the back room.

37. amuro98 says:

Was it wrong that I read this article in Gordon Ramsay’s voice?

38. INsano says:

“And, why is it that all these people share an uncanny, common denominator – they all talk so slow!”

Because they’re old. And retired. And one of the few people who can still afford to eat out, so shut your piehole and get back in the kitchen and make their food.

39. sopmodm14 says:

chef, your restaurant isn’t your home, and customers should be reasonable about moving some chairs around b/c…..GOSH…they can easily be put back !

if a potential client/customer has never experienced your establishment before, they should inquire about the food and experience, and chefs/staff should welcome the opportunity to provide them the info.

all in all, you’re supposed to make the guest feel welcomed, and have them return.

restaurants are a cut throat business, 2/3 fail within the first year……with attitudes like in the post.

40. jenjenjen says:

I call during busy times because they never answer the fricking phone between 2-6. Also: restaurant websites? THE WORST. I’ve seen some – this year, not 1996 – that don’t list the hours, or don’t list the address. Certainly detailed sample menus are the exception not the rule. I often get the sense that the owner has a clever nephew who offered to make his uncle a website for free.

41. ShariC says:

After reading many of these series on ‘why your (whatever) hates you,’ I have decided that customers are nothing more than a giant inconvenience to the people they pay for service. I’ve lived in Japan for about 20 years, and when I return to the U.S., I’m not going to patronize any restaurants or fast food places because the message is clear – they hate you and their jobs and want you to walk in and empty your wallet and get the hell out. I’m not asking that people love every part of their job, but part of any service is that things will happen which inconvenience or annoy the person providing the service. I have to be nice to rude people. I have to be patient with people who won’t act or make up their minds. I have to do things in my job which I’d rather not do, but I don’t hate anybody for it. I don’t even complain about it because I get paid to do be put out in some ways. Sure, I’d rather people just made my life easy during my work, but then I’m guessing they wouldn’t pay me to do that.

I’ll cook my own food and try to shop via online services as much as humanly possible. Of course, then my delivery man will find reasons to hate me. :-p

42. savdavid says:

That is why these guys and gals won’t be in this business long. The customer is paying for a product that is marked up at least 60% (the general rule for the food trade). They are doing these so-called chefs a job. If the “chefs” don’t like the heat they need to get out of the kitchen. Having said that, there is no reason to be rude to anyone. Everyone needs to learn to be a bit more civil to each other.

43. jaredwilliams says:

seriously if thats all they can find to complain about get another job dude. wah wah wah. 99% of this has nothing to do with the cook. work at subway pussy

44. vastrightwing says:

I totally stopped patronizing a restaurant that wouldn’t allow my wife & I to dine at their booth designed for 4 people. Now that booth will never ever have only 2 or 3 people in it (I hope). Unfortunately we loved the food there, but they didn’t like us, so we don’t visit them anymore.

45. polyeaster says:

this guy sounds like he needs to find a new career…yes some of these things are annoying, but ultimately the restaurant manager makes the rules and if the manager puts up with it then sucks for this guy.

46. jake.valentine says:

I have experienced both sides of the equation here while serving tables during college and now dining out as a professional. One thing that I have noticed to be true about restaurants in my experience is that the restaurant industry has a disproportionate number of arrogant, angry DBs that work in that career field. I prefer locally based and/or family owned restaurants now where the people seem more humble and thankful for the business.

• tooluser says:

I don’t find mom and pop joints to be any predictably better than major chains. Skill and caring seem to be randomly distributed amongst the populace. But once you find a good place, be it small or large in ownership, you can usually count on it being good for some time.

And there does seem to be a exponentially decaying law of entropy in effect. Good places can go downhill, but bad places stay bad until they go out of business, which can take an amazingly long time.

47. sykl0ps says:

Wait staff always expect free money. You don’t tip the cashier at Old Navy when you go to buy a pair of gloves or socks.

On moving around furniture in someones home: I’ve never gone to anyone’s house after eating at where they worked and rearranged their furniture.

48. DayLateDollarShort says:

I hate when parties of 7 come in at 9:45 and we close at 10 and then sit and drink and don’t order until 10:15.
    So,when you were 80% done and looking to be out by 10:30 you will now have to sit and wait and not get out til after 11.
    When you’ve been there on your feet since 3 w/o a break and just got done with a 3 hour rush….yeah,it kinda ticks ya off.
    I don’t get people who go out for big meals at nice places after 9pm. Isn’t that what Denny’s is for?
    I’m not talking the guy who gets sliders at the bar or people who come in for drinks and cheesecake. I’m talking 4,5,6 tops who get soup,bread,salads,steaks,cheesecake,wine and sodas right at closing.

49. DashTheHand says:

I haven’t heard the term “world wide web” in a good number of years. Thanks cranky, old, out-of-touch chef?

50. heybebeh says:

That guy’s a dick and I am never going to his restaurant. Why he thought it was a good idea to say these things publicly, I will never know.

51. doinkyTHEcup says:

Why do people call your business at those times? Perhaps it has something to do with people being out of work. The first of those times is lunch hour. If you don’t like being busy while everyone else is off then you’re in the wrong line of work. Usually most people will get out of work then want to phone ahead and reserve a table. And this “chef” gets mad when people want to spend money at his establishment????? Get real, your 15 minutes are over.