Samsung Blames Canada For Your Monitor Problems

Miguel writes that his Samsung monitor stopped working, but it has a 3-year warranty. He contacted Samsung to see if they could help him. They could not, but not for any mundane reason. Samsung insists that his monitor is from Canada, and they can’t provide warranty service to Miguel because he doesn’t live in Canada. Where did he buy his monitor? Um, a Sam’s Club store in Missouri.

In the early part of 2008 I purchased a model 920NW Samsung computer monitor. I made the purchase at my local Sam’s Club in St. Louis MO, USA. Just yesterday the computer monitor stopped working on me. I looked up the model number and found that it had a 3 year parts and labor warranty. The manufactured date on the back of the monitor read : December 2007. I thought i would be able to get this product serviced.

Upon calling Samsung’s support I was informed that I had purchased a Canadian model. This caused a transfer to another department. The other department said that without proof of purchase they would not be able to service my Canadian monitor because of my address.

I no longer have a my receipt from over 2 years ago. They informed me that if i had lived in canada or if this was an American monitor they would be able to service the product without a receipt. Seems like I’ll have to wait until the manager calls me back to see if he can really do something.

While Canada is a lovely country, moving is overkill. We suggested that Miguel contact Sam’s Club, just in case, even though he doesn’t still have the original receipt. Samsung’s escalated customer service is probably the best option at that point.

Comments

1. dreamfish says:

Was the monitor assembled by Terrance and Phillip?

2. wrjohnston91283 says:

You might have problems getting it serviced ANYWHERE without a receipt. I know a lot of electronics have serial numbers and date of manufacture, but most warranties I see require proof of purchase.

• Shadowfax says:

You’re likely to have problems getting it serviced with a receipt. I have a screen that delaminated less than 1 year into the 3 year warranty. Shipped it to them for repair. It came back with a broken inverter board and parts rattling around inside. Shipped it to them again. It came back with a totally different panel than the one it’s supposed to have, with a viewing angle that requires me to tilt it about 15 degrees down and 45 degrees to the right just to be able to see the screen. Am supposed to ship it back but they won’t get back to me with the authorization.

Oh, and they don’t actually fix the screens themselves. They use a company called “Far East Service Corperation(sic)” The place can’t even spell its own name right, which is a good indicator of the quality attitude at the place. I’ll probably end up having to just write off the screen and buy another one, this time from a better company.

• roothorick says:

“Better”? Samsung is considered top tier in monitor brands. Unless your monitor is a different brand… you didn’t really specify.

3. adamstew says:

Try going back to your sams club and see if they can pull the receipt for you? If you still have your membership, they can probably look at all your past purchases by your membership card and may be able to print you a copy of the receipt.

• larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

Agreed. I know Costco can look up all my purchases, and they even refunded my money on something I’d bought a year prior but hadn’t ever used. I’d be very surprised if Sam’s can’t do the same.

• Griking says:

I doubt that they still have records from three years back. My company can generally only go back one.

4. jaredwilliams says:

hey buddy *fart* Im not your buddy friend! Im not your friend buddy!

• Rocket says:

I’m not your friend, buddy.
      I’m not your buddy, pal.
      I’m not your pal, guy.
      I’m not your guy, friend.

5. rbleader says:

“Sheila: Well, blame Canada
    Everyone: Blame Canada
    Sheila: It seems that everything’s gone wrong, since Canada came along
    Everyone: Blame Canada, Blame Canada
    Copy Guy: They’re not even a real country anyway”

But in all seriousness, we have a serial number/ date and/or place of manufacture/ QA checked seals for a reason? Come on, Samsung. Man it up.

6. PunditGuy says:

Sounds like a grey market monitor. I ran into this issue years back when purchasing some Macintosh computers for a newsroom… found a good price from a merchant in CA, and when we got the shipment all of the supporting material was in Chinese. I knew we’d never get official support on those.

OP’s situation is a little more insidious, since everything would be English or English/French and not raise a suspicion — unless the registration card had a “.ca” address or something on it. Was the monitor ever registered?

• hosehead says:

Yup, definitely gray market.

• wackydan says:

Then Sam’s is either intentionally selling grey market product, or was bamboozled themselves…

My bet is that Sam’s made a great deal with Samsung on some older monitors that were laying around in the regular channels and neither one is going to own up to it.

I worked for a large well know PC manufacturer. We would dump inventory that was soon to be old out to the channel and various catalogers. Difference was it we ensured it wouldn’t end up as grey market product.

7. Verucalise (Est.February2008) says:

Aren’t most companies requiring that you purchase the product thru an authorized retailer before a warranty is valid? I’m not saying they shouldn’t fix the monitor of course- he bought it legitimately. But I’ve read that some companies are making sure you have that receipt to prove the purchase was valid.

Best bet would be to contact Sam’s Club, as Laura mentioned. Maybe they can search your membership card for when you bought it, and print out a receipt to prove to Samsung.

8. georgi55 says:
  9. Straspey says:

I feel a Newfie joke coming on…

10. DeltaTee says:

How many issues on consumerist could be much more easily solved if people saved their receipts? Companies give them to you for a reason–save them.

• tonsilpool says:

Just make sure you SCAN that receipt.
      Since most businesses use “thermal” paper for their receipts, they are designed to fade to unreadable after a few months.
      I feel this is by intent to reduce their liability for repairs.

• klwillis45 says:

That’s a nice side effect but not the primary reason. Thermal printers are just much easier to use & maintain than paper/ribbon printers.

11. KyBash says:

I just recently learned Samsung doesn’t play fair when honoring warranties.

My color printer developed a problem. I tried to get a service ticket through their website. It says service will cost $66 unless I do some troubleshooting first.

Fair enough, EXCEPT that the first thing you’re supposed to do can’t be done on this model without removing some screws, which would void the warranty.

Close to a dozen e-mails and a live chat, and there’s nothing they’ll do to help. Even the most basic kinds of information are withheld. One e-mail said: “we’re technical support, we can’t help with a physical problem.”

$66 plus shipping to California is a steep price for learning that Samsung isn’t honest in their warranties.

12. ParingKnife ("That's a kniwfe.") says:

Times have changed
    Our kids are getting worse
    They won’t obey their parents
    They just want to fart and curse!
    Should we blame the government?
    Or blame society?
    Or should we blame the images on TV?
    No, blame Canada!
    Everyone: Blame Canada!

13. polizzi82 says:

I bought a Nokia phone that never worked right. They claimed I bought it from Europe when the ATT branded phone was clearly produced and marketed for the US. They told me there was nothing they could do. $200 wasted and a very loyal customer forever lost.

• nybiker says:

Well, at least you have a more rational reason for not buying their products. Me, I knocked them out of contention once I saw that they were one of the corporate johns for the Sugar Bowl (it’s now got an insurance company as the john). And then nokia went with theaters. Here in NYC, there’s one in Times Square, but I saw recently that that bastion of customer service excellence, Best Buy, is now the new john. (I found this: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/18/arts/music/18bestbuy.html)

From the website: “The insurance-company Sugar Bowl, born in the depths of the Great Depression…” The problem is that back then it was known just as the Sugar Bowl. To me, it’s newest name is only a few years old and should be considered a different thing.
      /Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong
      /end of rant

14. grapedog says:

part of the issue may also be parts availability. sure, canada and the US are not that much different for the most part, but it’s possible that monitors sold in canada use different parts from different manufacturers that are not interchangable.

if the customer can prove his purchase, it might be a matter of them sourcing the parts from another location in order to repair the monitor, but without the proof of purchase, they can’t do it. Unlike it if was a US monitor, and getting serviced in the US where parts are possibly more readily available.

• wackydan says:

Likely not. Monitors are monitors. You make one model for the world market and that is it. They switch between power just like a laptop. Monitors are so low margin in profit that it does not make any sense to widely differentiate them from one market to the next.

15. CapitalC says:

This sounds a bit like the horrific experience I had with a Toshiba A70 laptop. That and several other models had been subject to a warranty extension thanks to a class action lawsuit in the US over a poorly designed DC power receptacle on the motherboard. When I called Toshiba Canada to complain about my identical failure, I was told the Canadian models were not subject to the extension or warranty repair. I asked him if the Canadian laptops were made in a different factory than the US models and immediately asked to speak with his supervisor.

The long and winding story ends up with me returning the laptop to Costco and getting a full refund nearly two years after the fact. I took my money and bought a MacBook Pro and haven’t been happier since.

16. JoeTaxpayer says:

This falls on to Sam’s Club, not Samsung, nor my friends to the north.
    It’s gray market, and Sam did the importing or arranged for it to get a deal. They need to man up.

17. gman863 says:

1. Sam’s Club and Wal-Mart keep a hell of a lot more info. on purchases than they’ll admit. When Sam’s had to pull up info on a road hazard tire warranty for me a few months ago, they swiped my membership card and a laundry list of auto service purchases popped up – INCLUDING OIL CHANGES FROM WAL-MART LOCATIONS IN TEXAS AND ALABAMA! When I asked a manager about this, I was informed the data was collected and merged from Wal-Mart since I used the same MasterCard account on all the purchases.

2. If you have an e-mail or other proof of Samsung’s claim you have a Canadian (non warranty) monitor, bring both a copy of the e-mail and monitor to Sam’s. If they will not replace it with a similar model on this visit, fire off a letter to their corp. office in Bentonville, AR and copy your State Attorney General. I had to do this with an electronics extended warranty claim two years ago: Within 4 weeks I received a profuse apology along with a full refund for the original prices of both the DVD recorder and extended warranty.

18. Memtex784 says:

Any electronic purchases valued $50 or more I always keep and scanned into computer in case I loose the original. Has saved me a few times. Plus keep valuable receipts in fireproof safe in case of theft or something happens to the house for insurance purposes and for warranty claims :)

19. dg says:

If you paid with a credit card – just call your credit card company see if they can help you out. OR, if they have warranty extension on your card, then whatever you buy may have a longer warranty – file a claim with them.

OR, sue for violation of the Magson-Moss Act (Federal Law)…