Presenting The Top 10 Jobs — Collect 'Em All

In compiling this list of the 100 most satisfying jobs, CNN Money curiously left off my daytime profession of print journalism.

I’m sure the editors are on the verge of correcting the oversight. But until then, enjoy the current top 10 list, which is running in the November issue of Money magazine:

1. Software Architect — I’m pretty sure this is a reference to the Architect from the Matrix Reloaded. That guy sure did have a ton of TVs in his office.

2. Physician Assistant — Maybe if universe health care turns all doctors into paupers they’ll be more susceptible to lunches, golf outings and other freebies that totally aren’t bribes.

3. Management Consultant — People will always need other to tell them whom to lay off.

4. Physical Therapist — Makes a lot of sense if the profession includes seedy massage parlors,

5. Environmental Engineer — As we destroy all our trees, we will come to rely on engineers to invent new robotic ones to take their place.

6. Civil Engineer — As civility decreases, we will come to rely more on trains to get as far as possible from rude people.

7. Database Administrator — Schools full of little databases will need principals to guide them.

8. Sales Director — While it may not be easy to sell stuff, it’s not too tough to tell others to do so.

9. Certified Public Accountant — While street corner accountants who tend to keep to themselves may be cheaper, the certified variety come with considerably more certification and publicity.

10. Biomedical Engineer — Humanoid robots ain’t gonna invent themselves.

Best jobs in America [CNN Money]

Comments

1. Bort says:

Being trained in one of the mentioned fields, you need a reputation and 10 years experience to get a semi stable job

• domcolosi says:

Well, honestly, if I said I had a list of the ten best jobs in America, would you expect any of them to be easy to get?

• jesirose says:

In which? Not all of them.

• BrianneG says:

I think my job as an environmental engineer is pretty stable because it’s the first one I got out of college and I’ve been here 8.5 years.

Since I have my civil P.E. I think I’m technically #5 AND #6. Strange that they would be separated for this list since environmental is typically considered a subset of civil.

• INsano says:

I didn’t see prostitution on the list. :-)

2. minjche says:

“In compiling this list of the top 100 jobs most satisfying jobs with the greatest growth opportunities, CNN Money curiously left off my daytime profession of print journalism.

That’s a quality sentence right there. You get three sentences for the price of one!

• kingoftheroad40 says:

Grammar Nazi . lol

• minjche says:

Eh I can see why you’d say that, but I just have a higher expectation of basic sentence structure, especially from an article where the author specifically claims that their daytime profession is print journalism.

We all make mistakes, but that’s precisely what would drive me to proofread my own work.

• obits3 says:

I don’t see three independent clauses… I see one dependent clause with what looks to be a repeat typo “top 100 jobs most satisfying jobs” and an independent clause.

• minjche says:

It’s fixed now so ignore my comment.

Thanks for fixing the typo! The new sentence reads very well.

3. Culture says:

As a civil engineer, I have to agree with this fields placement on the list. While CE has the lowest pay of all engineering fields right out of school, it is by far the easiest engineering field in which to start your own business. True, you have to get 8-12 years experience first, but CEs are the highest paid engineers after 20 years, and this is why. There is no satisfaction like being self-employed (by choice , anyway), and it is financially lucrative. The world will always need CEs unless you are ready to get rid of roads, buildings, sewers, treated drinking water, etc.

4. BomanTheBear says:

Jesus, the blurbs for each of the jobs are dangerously unfunny.

• Miraluka says:

It’s just a typical Phil-fail post.

• kalaratri says:

Seriously unfunny. Someone sounds bitter.

• Whtthfgg says:

good god…lighten up….everything was plenty funny…people just like to Rag on Phil, and it gets REALLY OLD

• BomanTheBear says:

Wow, with the jumping to conclusions, I didn’t even notice who posted it until I got pounced for hating on Phil. It has nothing to do with who posted it, it’s that if you’re going to add flavor, do it well or don’t do it at all. Everything up there shows a symptom of Sense of Humor cancer.

5. D0rk says:

Awesome, girlfriend is going to school for physical therapy and i’m hopefully on track to eventually be a DBA.

6. melxcloud says:

As a EnvE, and most likely being laid off in the next two months, (Thank you New York State gov’t), I don’t have much confidence in this list.

• BrianneG says:

go work in consulting. Even people laid off from my company found better and higher paying jobs somewhere else.

7. ElizabethD says:

* yawn* Where are the creative jobs?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

There are varying types of “creative” jobs, though. Art isn’t so much a “growing” industry because it depends on talent and a little luck and you really have to be willing to live on pennies, but more stable, “practical” creative jobs are everywhere. English and journalism majors are actually in demand – just not in english or journalism. Every company requires people who have writing and editing skills. It’s actually one of the most flexible areas because you can work for anyone as long as you can pick up the technical knowledge on the way.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

That’s exactly what my literature professor told me when I was considering changing my major from Crim to English. I can’t do accounting stuff because of a learning disability. So far I’m still answering the phone!!!!!!

Although to be fair, I really haven’t found anything because this area doesn’t have a lot of jobs that pay more than $7 an hour, and then the economy fell apart. It took me a year-and-a-half to find this job and that was before the economy mess.

I’m still hopeful it will help me because I have so much money to pay back it’s not even funny.

• Culture says:

That would be the engineering jobs.

8. aloria says:

Software architect? Are you serious? Talk about underpaid and overworked.

9. Simon Barsinister says:

Software Engineer here.
    The job was great 10 years ago. Now it’s gone to India and pays 10 Rupies a day.

10. AustinTXProgrammer says:

Job’s 1 and 7 are in my job description (along with a few less fun bits). Rejoice!

11. veritybrown says:

The attitude displayed by this writer is part dark humor, part seething bitterness, and zero real helpfulness. Thumbs down!

12. UCLAri: Allergy Sufferer says:

And yet… I would never want to do pretty much any of the jobs.

Especially CPA. I took accounting in grad school and hated it with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

13. KyBash says:

It’s sad to see the elitism in the article. They think you have to be white or pink collar to make good money and find job satisfaction.

I never really used my degree. My part-time job during school turned into a full-time job at about 3x the entry-level salary everyone else took. 30 years later, my 40 hours a week was even with a 50 hours a week salaried position.

Yes, I got my hands dirty, but when I laid my tools down at the end of the shift, it was over; no one was going to call me in at two in the morning to fix a glitch, and I worked weekends only when I wanted the overtime.

• RandomHookup says:

Elitism is kinda built into the evaluation. They selected jobs that are high paid and offer growth opportunities. I’m guessing that many of the blue collar jobs fell short, especially on growth. Even with more demand for plumbers, you can only do so much growth, even if you own the company. And they factored in working conditions, which for some getting your hands dirty is a positive…for others, not so much.

• KyBash says:

True 99.9999% of the time.

I do know of one case where a guy joined in a mini-revolution: the top six blue collar workers in a factory (with about 40 employees) told the owners they’d all quit and set up their own shop if they couldn’t buy the company with a profits-as-payment on a 7-year plan. Company would have folded (no way to replace those people in time to meet contract deadlines), so it happened.

A couple of years later, the guy legally screwed his partners out of their shares.

A couple of years later, he sold the company to a multinational for $32million and a Vice Presidency position quaranteed for ten years at a million a year. (This was in the 70s when a mil was a lot of money.)

To go from hourly worker to fat-cat exec in less than fifteen years is quite a feat, but it can be done.

• RandomHookup says:

But at some point, your job changes from blue to white collar and then it might go on the list… (one of the conundrums of these things — once you’re the guy in charge, you don’t count).

14. thelauhingsun says:

Weird. I’m a Civil Engineering graduate who cannot currently find a job. I’m no slacker either – in fact I’m quite intelligent, very well-spoken, got good grades, and have great recommendations. It’s just that all the openings involve working with transportation or environmental (i.e. poop and toxic waste), and I don’t want to do either.

Any structural or geotech consultants/PMs need an assistant?

15. The cake is a lie! says:

How come cadaver isn’t on the list? That is what my dad always told me he was sending me to medical school to be.

Sadly, most of those jobs will be irrelevant after the Singularity. The only job worth having will be in law, since the only arguments will be whether or not your robot has the right to vote. Science and technology will erase so many of those jobs.

16. jessjj347 says:

Biomedical engineering is not about building robots, or so I thought…

17. jessjj347 says:

Anything to do with health information technology should be on the “booming” list.

18. econobiker says:

So how many of those jobs can be outsourced or filled by an H1-B visa immigrant making 1/3 or less than a US citizens salary.

19. DeepHurting says:

“Management Consultant”? That’s seriously a real job?
    Managers get paid to make decisions, right? Now they pay someone to make decisions for the people who are paid to make decisions?
    I’m think I’m going to get into the “Management Consultant Consultant” field. It has to be quite lucrative.

• Johnny Longtorso says:

Don’t worry, we’re sending them out on Golgafrincham Ark B. We’ll just make up a rumor about a giant star-goat that’s going to eat the planet.

20. JiminyChristmas says:

Speaking as a real architect, the kind that designs buildings, the job title Software Architect makes me roll my eyes. It’s like some computer geeks decided to put ‘architect’ in their job title made what they do sound cooler than it is.

I had to spend 3 years in grad school, spend 3 years as an intern, and sit for 24 hours of professional exams to earn the right to call myself an architect. If you’re in the construction industry you can actually be fined or face professional sanctions from the state licensing board if you call yourself an architect but haven’t met all of the requirements for licensure. But hey, if you’re a superfly software designer, enjoy your snazzy job title.

• Culture says:

I thought buildings were designed by Structural Engineers ;-).

• JiminyChristmas says:

No, silly. Structural engineers design structures, not buildings. There’s a difference…though it’s probably not a difference an engineer could discern. I keed, I keed…

Actually, structural engineers are my favorites. I never have problems with them. Similar with electrical engineers. On the other hand, there is no end to the grief I have suffered at the hands of mechanical engineers.

• osiris73 says:

Having known and worked with all of the aforementioned fields, that you find yourself getting along with EEs tells me a *lot* about your personality and sense of humor. My EEs have always been an… odd… bunch of characters. Not a bad thing, mind you. They’re of a particular breed though.

• minjche says:

Wow enjoy your title. Do you also get “elitist douche” printed on your business cards?

• Gtmac says:

Did any of your 6 years of training or 24 hours of exams prepare you to speak knowledgeably about the software industry? No? I didn’t think so.

Although I found it quite amusing that you would use the term “designer” as an apparently lesser term than architect to diminish a profession.

How about we just call you a building designer until you get off your high horse and learn what it means to be a software architect.

21. opticnrv says:

The term ‘Database Administrator’ is embarrassingly outdated. While this used to be an identifiable role at the beginning of the decade, automation tools have morphed this position from one whose primary role was administration to one of design and architecture of optimized databases. Also, companies that actually understand the need for dedicated ‘Software Architects’, employing them full time, and paying them their true worth, are few and far between. It may be their #1 job, but it sure is hard to find companies recruiting for that position. It’s usually one of many roles an experienced IT Tech resource performs. CNN Money has just proved their about 5 years behind the times when it comes to the IT industry.

22. Galium says:

Was the list based on pay, actual job enjoyment, or some person’s concept of “satisfying jobs”? If you can get a little further ahead each year pay wise, and you really enjoy what you do for work, than you may have the best job no matter what it is. When something is the best, it is mostly subjective, and all BS. Buy my laundry detergent it is the best in 4 out of 5 test. According to the national laundry detergent society. (that is sponsered by my soap company) The green bay packers are the best football team. (sposored by the Green bay chamber of commerce)Republicans are the best politicians for this country. ( this message brought to you by the GOP) Buddhism is the best religion. (Certified by the Budhist of America) etc. (The above best list is not necessarily the opinion of management or this network.)