Chili's Salads Come From Where?

David writes in with what may be the most questionable piece of Chili’s advertising since Mike Myers — as Fat Bastard in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me — co-opted the “I Want My Baby Back” ribs jingle to express his fascination with eating infants.

Note the subject line from a message the restaurant’s marketing department sent to David:

———- Forwarded message ———-

From: Chili’s

Date: Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Subject: Chili’s soups, salad, chips & salsa out the wazoo!

The email advertised Chili’s “Bottomless Express Lunch.” The terms “wazoo,” “bottom” and express” take my mind places I’d rather it not go during lunchtime.

Comments

1. There's room to move as a fry cook says:
  2. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Don’t worry – they’re referring to where their food usually comes out of lickety split after eating it. (Chili’s usually makes me feel ill!)

• The cake is a lie! says:

What? You mean eating undercooked meat, salsa, beans,and jalapenos makes you feel sick? Man up you pansy. lol

I feel the same way about them. That is why I haven’t eaten at a Chili’s in nearly 3 years.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

It’s a tastier way to empty yourself out than a laxative, though.

3. RxDude says:

Truth in advertising!

4. anime_runs_my_life says:

And the problem is what, choice of words? Other than the fact that the only decent Chili’s is by my work, and trust me, it’s not the food I have a problem with the other locations, rather the attitude of the waitstaff, this is harmless.

The idea is that they want to get you in and out fast for their express lunch – which is really quite fast. They’re offering unlimited loss leaders for lunch at a cheap price. I’m sure the Olive Garden will come up with something now that there’s finally some decent competition.

5. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

shrimp, salmon, chicken, beef, and goatse.

6. vitajex says:

At the Bedrock Chili’s, the soups, salad, chips & salsa come out the Gazoo.

7. dognose says:

Didn’t even realize the origin of that word. Thought it just meant “plentiful supply of”. . . Now that I know, I’m still not offended.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Memo to self: Never, EVER, accept a dinner invitation to eat to dognose’s house.

8. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

I never eat at Chili’s unless I am carrying a large, empty rubber bag.

9. RonDiaz says:

Please let Phil go…this is a common statement “out the wazoo”…. another day another trbl post.

• HungryGal says:

I say we take this a step further and appoint Ron as editor in chief of The Consumerist, so we can be sure that all posts are up to his high standards.

10. framitz says:

The last time, and I mean LAST time my wife and I ate at Chiles the food indeed tasted like something out of someone’s wazoo.

Will never, ever go back.

11. Preyfar says:

Well, there’s only two places for food to go once it’s eaten. Back out the way it came, or… well, y’know. And with Chili’s… sometimes it does both!

12. Mongoloideon says:

Brings the act of “tossing salad” into focus

13. giax says:

Yet the cannibal in you is fine with eating baby ribs in all the other places?

14. HighontheHill says:

I don’t go to these types of places anyway chilis, rubys, olive garden…Yuck, preweighed portions of highly processed foodlike stuff, no thanks. I’ll take a family owned/operated dining establishment over a corporate theme restaurant any day; and fortunately where I live there are plenty of choices for food prepared with quality as objective number one.

15. Arcaeris says:

Seriously, how is this a consumer issue? The whole post is a bad wordplay joke, at best.

Haha, yes, they are indicating that their food comes from a butt.

16. bazzlevi says: