McDonald's Offering $400 Wedding Packages

With folks now getting hitched in Walmarts, Taco Bells and Home Depot, it would make sense that McDonald’s would eventually get around to adding weddings to their menu. And that’s exactly what the fast food chain is doing in Hong Kong, where happy couples will soon be able to say “I do” under the Golden Arches.

Starting in January, Hong Kong McDonald’s will begin selling a package that includes the ceremony, reception, wedding cake and catering for up to 100 people — all for around $400.

A rep for the company says that the wedding package was created in response to public demand:

Over the past two years, we’ve started receiving calls from people who want to have a wedding party in our restaurants. There are about 10 calls a month.
People said they’d dated here, or met here, and wanted to get married here. We see this as a business opportunity.

Unfortunately you won’t be able to have booze at the reception, as local laws forbid alcohol at family-friendly eateries like McDonald’s.

And you will also have plenty of hungry wedding crashers since the restaurants will remain open to the public during the ceremonies.

The McWedding: Couples set to tie knot in fast food chain branches from January [Daily Mail]

Comments

1. B says:

No thanks. White Castle wedding for me, please.

2. danmac says:

I think we all know the really important question here: how many Monopoly game pieces do you receive with that package?

3. pinkbunnyslippers says:

I remember going to Hawaii when I was 15 and seeing an entire wedding party come into our hotel, all in their wedding clothing, with McDonalds bags in hand. The Concierge told us that so many Japanese couples come to Hawaii for weddings, and love McDonalds that most end up stopping there at some point during/after the reception. I guess combining the two makes sense.

• 3skr1mad0r says:

I’m really not trying to bash and hope that was just a somewhat related reply, because Hong Kong is a region of China, not Japan.

• jamar0303 says:

Though generally speaking, McDonalds is very different in Asia than in (N/S)America. If you’ve seen advertising for McDonalds Hong Kong you’d get it.

• 3skr1mad0r says:

Oh I get it and I’ve been to the establishment. I just have an (and I’ll admit personal) issue in identifying one culture as another. Its like stating a popularity in the U.S. when it is actually in Mexico City. They are both North America right?
          Using martial arts as an example, identifying a particular art’s roots from another country is quickly corrected. This is why I have a huge problem with the “Karate Kid” remake. The kid went to China and learned Kung Fu which is a Chinese art. Karate is from Okinawa Japan. It just irks me.
          I’m pretty sure it was just a general statement as you said though.

4. c!tizen says:

does the bathroom bouncer come with that package?

5. Blueskylaw says:

And a new study estimates that more than 10 baby boys die from circumcision complications each month but I don’t see corporations or people seeing this as a business opportunity.

But then again, what do I know, let Here Comes The Bride play on.

• Megalomania says:

…I get the “10 calls” “10 babies” connection, but you’re so far out of left field you’ve left the stadium

• Poisson Process says:

I’ll really like to read that study/article. Where did you find it?

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

What are you suggesting businesses should come up with in response to that? Specialized funerals?

6. Nighthawke says:

Um, no.

7. ARP says:

I’m not sure if I should be OK with this or not. Part of me thinks that our consumerism has gotten so out of control that these are now acceptable places to have weddings. I also view this is a subconscious coping mechanism as people fall further and further behind in the rat race.

/overanalysis

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

There’s a cultural divide, though. A lot of Asian people LOVE novelty, kitschy stuff. I stopped liking it all when I was 15, but I have relatives from Canada who still insist on sending me the latest cartoon character purse because they think I’ll love it and actually use it.

8. stevenpdx says:

Wait, what?

9. Angus99 says:

Ray: I remember Revelation 7:12. And I looked, as he opened the sixth seal, and behold, there was a great earthquake, and the sun became as black as sackcloth. And the moon became as blood.
    Winston: And the seas boiled and the skies fell.

Ray: Judgment Day.
    Winston: Judgment Day.

• Angus99 says:

Sorry forgot that carats won’t work – tried to insert

(AND PEOPLE GET MARRIED AT MCDONALDS) in the middle of that.

Funny fail.

10. 3skr1mad0r says:

Although I still wouldn’t do it, McDonald’s in Hong Kong is much different than here. It is quite a novelty over there. They even host events with celebrity appearances. Because of being such a novelty, many couples go there for a “fun date” kind of like we go to an amusement park.
    And yes I’ve been there. Some friends got tired of the local fare so I went. If they still have the shrimp burger, its pretty good.

11. Shadowfax says:

McBride?

12. framitz says:

They would have to pay me a lot more than $500 to get married at McDonald’s, a lot more.

Read the article? Nope.

13. Mecharine says:

Well, 400 dollar fast food wedding or 10 thousand dollar fast-divorce wedding?

14. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

I’d get married at sonic before mcd’s

• LBD "Nytetrayn" says:

So the question is, would you bring the minister/justice/etc. into the ball pit to have you exchange vows, or would it be read through the speaker after placing your order?

15. Rachacha says:

“With folks now getting hitched in Walmarts, Taco Bells and Home Depot, it would make sense that McDonald’s would eventually get around to adding weddings to their menu. “

The real question is, what happens when you get married in a McDonalds that is the food vendor inside the WalMart? Do you get both the WalMart and McD packages for one low price? Do the groomsmen get loaner firearms from WalMart to hold during the Ceremony in McDonalds? Can you get married in the sporting goods section of the WalMart and drink a toast using super thick shakes?

16. LBD "Nytetrayn" says:

So, my big question is this: Do the wedding guests each get a Happy Meal toy to take home as a souvenir?

17. gman863 says:

For an extra $50 can you get Mayor McCheese to perform the ceremony?

On second thought, the idea of a wedding makes me Grimace.

18. graymocker says:

It’s worth pointing out that the McD brand is perceived very differently in Asia than it is in the US. In the US, McD and other fast food is just about the cheapest dining you can get, and so it has low social cachet. In HK and most Asian countries, McD is actually perceived as something of a mid-range casual-dining brand, with the added wrinkle of having a sort of “amusement park/coffee shop” vibe. This is because in Asia you can walk down any alley and find a street vendor that will sell you dinner for under $1. Western fast-food brands like McDonalds are considered a step or two up from that, and looked upon more like how we see Starbucks, or maybe Red Robin – convenient, reasonable quality and price. Western “casual dining” restaurants like TGIF are above even that, and positioned as more of a “splurge.”

Also, it helps that the service culture in Asia is _much_ better than in the West. Fast food chains have incredibly enthusiastic and friendly employees in Asia, which contributes to the very positive vibe. It’s the street vendors that have the more surly, brusque attitudes you associate with fast food employees in the West.

19. bishophicks says:

“We started getting calls about 2 years ago.”

Almost exactly to the month when the world economy tanked and people stopped being able to afford things like fancy weddings. Coincidence?

My wedding cost

I’m perfectly fine with people having their McDonald’s weddings. It’s not where you get married that matters, it’s the friends and family that are there with you. Turn the kids loose in the play area, splurge and declare an “open soda fountain” and let everyone have all the hot apple pies they want. In this economy, people shouldn’t be spending tens of thousands of dollars on flowers, centerpieces, reception hall decorations and expensive bad food.

20. jamar0303 says:

Or it shows that you understand nothing of Hong Kong culture.