McDonald's Potty Cop: No Receipt, No Bathroom

If you thought Walmart checking your receipt before letting you leave the store was bad, get a load of this McDonald’s who won’t let you go to the bathroom without showing your proof of purchase to the “bathroom bouncer.”

The la acera blog writes that the situation went down like this:

Bathroom Bouncer: You, hey, what do you think you’re doing?

Me: I was hoping to use the bathroom…

BB: Well you can’t. You got a receipt?

This is when I notice that the guy is not some weirdo trying to start a conversation, but a rent-a-cop hired to keep the bathroom safe from tiny bladders like mine.

Me: Not on me, my boyfriend is paying as we speak (as I point to the suited up individual at the register, who turns, smiles and continues to talk to the woman at the counter)

BB: Well YOU can’t go. You don’t have a receipt yet. So you can’t!

Me: um ok, I mean he’s paying right now…

Cashier: Yes, she’s with him, let her go.

BB: Well I don’t give a shit, I’m not gonna let you go anywhere. AND DON’T YOU LISTEN TO ANYONE ELSE, I SAY WHAT GOES!

I’ve been to places where they give the patrons little tokens to use to unlock the bathrooms, so I know the technology exists. Perhaps this McDonald’s should take the money it’s investing in rude power-tripping rent-a-cops and put it into some sort of locking mechanism if they want to keep non-patrons out of the restrooms.

Exercising My Right to Pee [la acera] (Thanks to Katherine!)

Comments

1. PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

What? Where can I get a job as a Guard du Water-Closet?

Seriously, I work in Detroit. The McDonalds here use the buzzer system; you just ask the cashier to be let into the restroom and they buzz you in. That has got to be cheaper in the long-run over paying a bathroom bouncer.

• Hoss says:

I would expect something like that in a busy vacation area. Sounds like Detroit is hoppin

• Disoriented says:

If by hoppin, you mean over “hoppin over bullets and vandalism.” Then yes, it’s definitely hoppin.

• backinpgh says:

I used to live in Detroit as well. I worked at a Biggby Coffee shop in midtown, where there were lots of bums trying to prey on gullible college kids. I had to advice the owner when we opened that they absolutely had to install locks on their bathrooms. We had to be pretty strict about giving the key to customers only. One girl made the mistake of letting some street person into the bathroom because she felt bad. She had to clean up the shit smeared all over the walls after they left, so yeah, she never did that again.

• Kitten Mittens says:

+1. That’s what I’ve seen installed elsewhere (including the Krystal at Bourbon and Canal in New Orleans). When in New Orleans you quickly become a connoisseur of places to relieve yourself…

• dolemite says:

Wow, that’s pretty sad actually. “Hey, I have to use the restroom, can I have your permission?” “Hmmm..let me think about it…ok, I guess I can buzz you in.”

• Pax says:

The restaurant has to pay the Water-and-Sewer bill for every toilet flush, you know. Plus toilet paper, hand soap (and more water-and-sewer bill for the sink), hand-sanitiser gel maybe … and then, more wear-and-tear requiring more frequent cleaning visits, with the resultant expenses in both cleaning supplies, and labor expenses. Maybe even some extra electricity bill expense, if the light isn’t an always-oin affair to begin with.

It may not seem like much per person, but really it’s just an effort to enforce an IMO entirely reasonable “Restrooms are for customers only” policy – because over time, that “pennies per person” does start to add up. Especially in very busy areas (where such policies are more common).

Now, I’ve seen places with a buzzer like that. I’ve seen places where you have to ask for the key (which is chained to a foot-long length of two-by-four, or similarly ludircous-sized object). I’ve seen places where the cashier or other employee has to be sent out with a key. I’ve seen places where an employee has to come out and dial in a door code. I’ve never had a problem with ANY of them.

And remember, again: every time you use that restroom, you cost the restaurant owner a little bit of money.

With all that said? The receipt-nazi was an asshole, period, end of story. There are MUCH nicer ways to go about it … and when the cashier said “yes, they’re together, let her in” … the guy should have said “Oh, sure! Thank you for being patient, ma’am.”

• layton59 says:

Check out the “Suite Relief” option mentioned in Riroon13’s comment further down the page. $7.00 to use the bathroom is brutal.

• spindle789 says:

This is known as the cost of doing business. If they don’t want to have a restroom and pay the cost, open up a non food establishment.

• vastrightwing says:

I second that. However, the new business model is now, nickel & dime everyone for everything. I’ll open a McDoodles and offer free water, free bathrooms & free WiFi to everyone regardless if you spend money or not. Sheesh!

Next up, “mam? You’ve been in the restroom too long, please get out now! You’re out of time. You’ll have to go and buy another food item for more time.”

• kujospam says:

yes the cost of doing business. But you see, they are trying to only let the business people take advantage of the cost of doing the business. Get the point? So if you don’t do business with them, then you don’t do business with the bathroom.

2. Sparty999 says:

How many times do you have to eat at McDonalds before they consider you a customer? Places that say “restrooms are for customers only” should realize that most of the people they would be turning down have spent more than enough money in their establishment to warrant using the bathroom.

If they really have dedicated a full-time employee to being a jerk to customers, the manager may be the worst business person in history. Pay that guy to CLEAN the bathroom constantly, and allow anyone who wants to use it, to use it!!

• ConsumerDollars says:

So if the reason to not allow people to use the restroom is for the problem with keeping it clean, then you’re absolutely right, letting the ‘bouncer’ clean would solve their issues completely. But maybe it’s the increase in flushing and washing hands and their water bill is too high. I just don’t understand the sense in locking the bathroom and paying someone to guard it!

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I would no longer go to restaurant that wouldn’t allow me to stop in for a potty break. If they don;t want my “business” they aren’t getting my $$$$.

• Firethorn says:

Pretty much. I’m in the habit of using the restroom BEFORE I order. In ritzier joints I’ll often order, then hit the pot, but not always.

Part of it is that I want to wash my hands before I eat, but another is I don’t want to take time out of eating to go.

MOST McD’s don’t do this, so I wonder if the rent-a-cop was a strictly temporary affair to deal with some persistant vandalism or mistreatment/abuse of the restroom?

3. c!tizen says:

“Receipt please…. ahhh, I see you ordered the #2 to go! Please proceed.”

4. captadam says:

I understand not using private facilities as a public rest area. I really do. Doesn’t mean I don’t do it, though.

… If I have to use the toilet in a fast food restaurant, I very often go in before I order. What else am I supposed to do: order my food, put it on the table, then leave it behind when I go do my business?

• AngryK9 says:

Take it with you? :D

I used to work at a Taco Bell in my teenage years, and we had the same “customer only” policy on our restroom. We’d have several people that would come in, order food, then eat it in the restroom. Disgusting, if you ask me…but there are some wackos out there….

• Fineous K. Douchenstein says:

I usually use the restroom and wash my hands before going up to order. I honestly wonder how long this guy lasts before some burly dude bashes his head off the door handle or just whips it out and pisses on him.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

What are you in for? Attempted homicide b/c they wouldn’t let me use the bathroom.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Wow. When traveling I always stop to take a leak in a McDonalds. I never realized it was a restaurant too.

5. Hoss says:

Dear Franchise Owners — You actually want foot traffic in your store Even the bums will get a $1 coffee every now and then!

• stuny says:

While letting them use the bathroom might be a nice gesture, I don’t think “Bathrooms for Bums” counts as a viable marketing strategy! ;)

6. Mulva says:

Toddy in the comments on her blog was spot on – more like a power trip from a powerless man, not a racial issue, as she took it to be. He was just taking it too far, is all.

7. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

When I’m on a long road trip, I have no qualms about stopping at any given McDonalds and using their facilities. I have given their corporation a lot of money over their years and odds are, have stopped at their particular franchise several times.

But I can understand why a store would have a strict customer only policy regarding their bathrooms. Those kind of policies don’t develop in a vacuum and odds are, something bad happened at that McDonalds. It could have been vandalism (people do horrible things to public restrooms), homeless using it to shower, hookers, drug overdose, or somebody being assaulted.

That being said… If the events actually happened as portrayed, then there is something seriously wrong with the security guard.

• hosehead says:

You gave the corporation lots of money, eh? What about the individual franchisers? The vast majority of McDonalds are still franchises.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

And the franchises get their product from where again?

• hosehead says:

Actually, for McDonalds, a lot of the product comes from local sources to specifications (the bread in particular).

The point being, just because you spent money at one McDonalds does not mean you have distributed any income to the McDonalds that you decide “owes you” a bathroom usage.

• captadam says:

However, an “open” bathroom policy among individual franchisees helps the chain as a whole. If I dash into the store to use the can without buying anything and am hassled, I’ll be much less likely to buy anything in any other McDonald’s in the future. (The identity of the franchisee means nothing to me as a customer, either, as the overall brand belongs to the company, not the individual owner. So, the actions of one franchisee impact the entire company’s identity.)

8. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Go to the bathroom anyway. When the “cop” runs in after you and jumps you in the stall, sue for sexual harassment and get him on the sex offender’s list.

• madanthony says:

Umm, sexual harassment would be a civil suit. That would not get him on a sex offender’s list of any kind.

• DariusC says:

You would still get money… Hardly care what they do after the fact (sex offender list, jail, whatever else may or may not happen).

• Pepster says:

I think you meant: “Call the cops and press charges for sexual assault”

• KMFDM781 says:

I prefer: Go into the bathroom anyway and when he follows you and tries to put his hands on you, beat the ever living, entitled shit out of him.

9. Zen says:

Post the address so that everyone can avoid this place…

• Caffinehog says:

No, post the address so everyone can go use the bathroom there without a receipt.

• c!tizen says:

from her blog…

“The exchange began soon after I entered the McDonalds on 18th Street NW in DC, in the neighborhood known as Adams Morgan. “

• DoubleBaconVeggieBurger says:

Oh, I’ve been to that one – they used to have the token method, I wonder why they replaced it with a bouncer.

• FaustianSlip says:

Hey, that’s not far from me. I totally want to visit just to tell the bouncer guy to get bent and go use the bathroom, but there’s an infinitely better falafel place not far away.

• kc2idf says:

Google is your ally . . . There is plenty of information in the La Acera article (the article linked in the original post) to find it on Google Maps. I’ll even go the extra mile and tell you to look at the first sentence of the third paragraph.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Reading the article IS fundamental!

10. Corinthos says:

Most the time I go into fast food joints i go straight to the rest room so wash my hands because I don’t want to leave my food unattended. I would just never go to this mcdonalds again. Its probably one of the franchise stores. Mcdonalds corporate pretty much lets them do whatever they want and when you call and complain of something they just inform you its a franchise store and nothing they can do.

About two months ago I was going through the drive thru at 2 am. It has on the main sign and all these notices about McCafe 24 hours. I get to the drive thru and place my order because they have those automated things now that ask you what you want. After the guy tells me they are close and I said well you might want to take your signs down or turn off the sign because it says 24 hours. He replied “didn’t you hear me we are fucking closed”. Call the number and was informed its a franchise store. The management there didn’t seem to care when I called the next day either because I heard from a friend he still works there.

11. madanthony says:

While I agree with the blogger that this is poor customer service, especially once it was obvious she was a paying customer, I’d like to know what part of the constitution contains her claimed “right to pee”, especially at a private establishment.

• Pavlov's Dog says:
    • Sparty999 says:

If I have averaged 2 trips to McDonald’s per month over my lifetime, at $5 per visit… that’s close to $4000 over my lifetime. It’s probably low, but I don’t really want to admit to going to McDonald’s more than that. Boycotting a store wouldn’t do any good… I would make a scene, and not rest until I received a FULL apology.

When does the switch turn from customer to just a bathroom user? Never.

• Marlin says:

Actually in many states there are laws that you have to allow those to use the bathroom.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Local health codes typically require a washroom at locations that serve food.

• swearint says:

Just because it is not listed in the Constitution, does not mean it does not exist:

Amendment IX
      The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

• Thyme for an edit button says:

As a Consumerist discussion grows longer, the probability of an invocation of the Constitution approaches 1.

12. suez says:

Excuse me, but even during the few times I ever eat at a fastfood place, I usually go wash my hands FIRST before getting my food. If they’re going to bounce me for not having a receipt yet, I’d tell them they just cost a customer and head for the next place down the road. Crazy.

• Caffinehog says:

Yes. This is WHY restaurants are REQUIRED by LAW to have bathrooms. It’s so people can wash their hands before eating. It is likely that this “bouncer” was violating federal law!

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

What federal law are you referring to?

These kind of rules are typically at the local and state health department level.

• Hoss says:

How do you open the door though? That’s my concern

• suez says:

That’s what the papertowel is for–I use the one I just dried my hands with. If it’s a blowdryer, I’ll just my shirt or follow someone else. Not that complicated.

13. hosehead says:

I don’t blame them. The CVS in Hoboken has had their bathrooms destroyed over the past year because Carlo’s Bakery (aka, “The Cake Boss”) has 3-hour line out the door, wrapped around the block and in front of CVS. The Cake Boss groupies run into the CVS and use the bathrooms without any regard. They eventually had to close down the bathrooms because they were literally overflowing toilets due to the volume.

Now that old lady waiting for her prescription will have to buy some diapers as well.

• Queep misses WarOtter :( says:

Spent 5 years in Hoboken and I never knew that CVS had a public bathroom. The more you know.

• hosehead says:

It’s not really supposed to be public. It is for customer use. The one on Washington and Newark has it at the back, near the pharmacy counter. If you have not been recently, the expanded and took over the space that was once occupied by Sam Goody.

• evnmorlo says:

“literally overflowing toilets due to the volume”

While even one idiot can overflow a toilet, a proper plumbing system should be able to serve more people than can physically be present at one time.

• hosehead says:

User error is inevitable given the population in question is willing to wait on line 3 hours for an overpriced pastry.

14. jpdanzig says:

First I think this policy is appalling. Second, if the rent-a-cop really displayed the attitude this report is depicting, he should be fired. VERY poor customer service — it reflects very badly on McDonald’s, which already has plenty to apologize for. Given how unhealthy their food is, they should at least let customers purge it without a hassle!

15. TouchMyMonkey says:

Damn! Is labor that cheap that Mickey D’s can hire goons just to guard the restrooms? That can’t possibly be his only frickin’ job.

16. Macgyver says:

It sounds like she over exaggerating.
    But I hate these places that say bathrooms are for customers only. Don’t people know you can get uromysitisis poisoning and die.

17. raybury says:

I’m not above ordering when I’m not hungry just to use the bathroom, but I often am alone and need to use the bathroom before, rather than after, chugging down another 44 ounces. So I usually go in ready to politely explain that I will order after using the bathroom. I do not know how I would react to this jackass.

• 3skr1mad0r says:

Same here. If it was an emergency I would have probably walked through him to get business done. If he follows you in and you’ve got your pants undone, he may have more explaining to do later than you would.

• Gravitational Eddy says:

I know exactly how I would react.
      unfortunately, I’d probably get arrested once the cops got there.
      However, even though I’d be in trouble with the cops once again, my troubles would be nowhere near as bad compared to the PottyCop, once he realized he had to pee and his fingers and hands didn’t work right anymore.

18. Turnabout is Flair Play says:

I’ve been to this McDonald’s before. Believe me, you WANT a bathroom guard there. I will let your imagination go wild and it will still not come close to what actually happens in that area.

In reading that exchange, I believe the OP was probably exaggerating just a little. Writer’s license and all that.

19. RandomHookup says:

This fellow has some issues, but I’ve seen some pretty nasty stuff in McD’s rest rooms. Just Sunday, I saw the most vile “gift” left by someone in the men’s room. It’s an urban neighborhood and previously had the buzzer system…but discontinued for some reason.

Fortunately, I had already eaten…

20. Riroon13 says:

In Louisiana, a former governor shut down all rest areas in the state (except one). The reason was that it cost too much for the state to run the rest areas, and that restaurants like McDonalds were at every interstate exit anyway. Here, private industry welcomed it, as it brought in a potential new load of customers.

On a side note… has anyone seen ‘Suite Relief’ restrooms? there was one attached to a gas station in Baton Rouge. It’s set up like a hotel lobby with furnishings, a lobby desk, etc; they give you keycard access to a private restroom for 15 minutes or so for the meager sum of $7. This might be something Consumerist can look into, perhaps?

• layton59 says:

Wow $7.00 to use a private bathroom called Suite Relief. The toilet privilege costs more than the meal.

McDonald’s should give their food away for FREE and then charge $7.00 per person to use a somewhat upscale bathroom.

21. Bojangles says:

This McD’s needs to be avoided, we need to know the location of it.

I was in a McD’s in Croatia and there it works in almost the same way, but you need the code that is printed on the receipt to open the restroom. The locals told me that the code barely changes at each location. No bathroom cop.

22. snarkymarcy says:

I would have peed on his shoes.

I recall a Starbucks in LA that said they didn’t have a public restroom. Sign should have said: “We sell diuretics. Find somewhere else to piss.”

23. El_Fez says:

If he refused to budge, I would simply ask “So I cant use the toilet? Great – which potted plant would you like me to take a shit in?”

24. GearheadGeek says:

This particular restaurant needs a visit from the ghost of Ray Kroc. I can completely understand the “customers only” mentality in a situation where the store gets lots of people coming in just to use the restrooms and not spending any money, but once it was established (by the cashier, no less) that she was a customer, superRentaCop should have backed off. I’m guessing that if this had happened to Mr. Kroc on one of his unannounced visits to a franchise, the franchise owner would have regretted it.

25. oldwiz65 says:

When we travel, we always look for a fast food restaurant when it’s time to use the bathroom. We use the bathroom then buy something like soda and a desert or fries. I’ve never heard of a fast food restaurant bothering to pay attention like this story. If they did, I would just say “you just lost a customer”, and go to the next fast food restaurant.

26. smashedpotats says:

i only stop at mcdonalds to make a golden arch of my own.

27. oldwiz65 says:

28. Thorzdad says:

Way back when I worked at a McD’s in high school, it was explained to me that the restrooms were open for use by anyone. I was told that was corporate policy.

Has that changed?

• fantomesq says:

I believe that is corporate policy worldwide for McDonalds but that individual franchise owners sometimes do not follow policy. I’d have written to corporate about it.

29. theblackdog says:

They also do something like this at the McDonalds by the Verizon Center in DC.

30. JM says:

The address is: 2481-83 18TH ST NW, Washington DC 20009. That’s in Adams Morgan.

31. whatdoyoucare says:

Stupid stupid rule! Sometimes when my family is traveling to granny’s we will stop at the McD’s that is half way there. We pile out of the car and then hit the restrooms. THEN we go and order food.

32. MikeF74 says:

I wish all places had a bathroom access law. In Massachusetts there is (was?) a law that stated something to the effect of “Restaurants must let non-customers use the restroom as long as there are at least 16 seats and the customer is dressed appropriately for the establishment”.

Knowing that law came in handy once or twice.

33. Vogue007 says:

So wait…the BB actually told her she could not use the bathroom before even asking if she had a receipt? I would have said “No I don’t have a receipt but I just won a free bathroom pass on my monopoly sticker…”

34. waltcoleman says:

It’s at about this time I would have let in with a degrading tirade mocking Mr Rent a Cop and his minimum wage job guarding bathrooms like a little &^%$#. Granted I would have been tossed from McD’s, but it would have been worth it…

35. A.Mercer says:

Some cities and states have laws saying that businesses have to allow for non-customers with medical reasons to use the restroom. If a person has irritable bowel syndrome then getting to a restroom is a very important thing. Having to wait in line to buy something and get a receipt to be considered an actual customer takes too long.

In fact the Consumerist has an article about this:

36. packy says:

Reason enough not to patronize this particular McDee’s again.

37. katstermonster says:

My kindergarten teacher wouldn’t let me use the bathroom one time, so I peed my pants on purpose. I do not recommend this method of protest; while satisfying, it is rather wet and smelly.

38. MDSasquatch says:

His mother must be so proud

39. operator207 says:

“McDonalds wants you to eat with dirty hands”

This is the only thing this says to me. If I cannot before ordering, wash my hands, I will not eat at that restaurant. Hand sanitizer is not what I want to use to wash my hands. Sometimes I have grease on my hands, or literally dirt. Hand sanitizer does not remove that, and both (actually all 3 if you count the hand sanitizer) make food taste “dirty”.

40. JF says:

I’d just pull out a changing pad and change my baby’s diaper on one of the tables…… even if the baby didn’t need a diaper change.

41. sopmodm14 says:

if the manager thought this was a good idea, i’d make it very loud and clear my displeasure so that everyone in the place knows, those outside at the drive-through also

when i leave, i’ll be sure to advertise such a policy loud and clear too,to as many ppl as possible within earshot

if i’m not gonna go there anymore, i might was well get banned in such a grand fashion

42. SJPadbury says:

For all you people saying you need to know where the mcdonalds is, maybe you might want to actually read the linked blog post this came from? It says so right there….

43. duncanblackthorne says:

I don’t know about anybody else, but when visiting any restaurant I tend to visit the restroom before sitting down/ordering, if for no other reason than to wash my hands. If I were confronted with this, I’d be leaving and eating elsewhere, and I suggest everyone else do the same.

44. Mcshonky says:

I would have made him repeat the “I don’t give a….” line nice and loud and then promised him he would “give a…..” when he unemployed, not receiving unemployment benefits, drop out, because of his profane mouth.

Oh please put your hands on me, no I’m not going to kick your ass, I’m going to fall and sue Mcdonalds and the the security agency.

Fist fight and win or fall and win big, you decide!

45. mbz32190 says:

I remember stopping to use the restroom at a Hollywood McDonald’s about 10 years ago and they had a 25 cent box on the door handle, but it was broken and doors were wide open. I guess staff got tired of people complaining for quarters, or bums broke the mechanism.

And a Burlington Coat Factory store, they had an interesting setup with a buzzer that would ring the service desk, and a video camera outside the bathroom. Seems like it would work a lot better in this situation rather than paying someone to watch bathrooms all day.

46. Clyde Barrow says:

Oh this is done in Europe and the U.K. I am not surprised that it’s being implemented here but it’s going to tick off a lot of folks. On a food receipt in France, you get a five-digit code that you input on the lock outside the bathroom door.

The problem occurs when there is only one bathroom which in my case in a McD’s in Lyon, FR, I was washing my hands after the fact and this woman walks in and sits down on the toilet. Very strange but my gf didn’t bat an eye when I told her. She didn’t approve but she just told me you have to be careful and that is what happens here. And yes guys, she was hot so that helped the situation a bit, but it was still odd. lol.

47. ldavis480 says:

If this were me I would’ve peed on him.

48. Talisman says:

In Pennsylvania, food establishments that offer seating for patrons must allow public access to their restrooms. You don’t have to purchase anything. Some stores like to try and violate this law.

49. heybebeh88 says:

This may only work because I am 1) male and 2) large, but if I ever go in somewhere that won’t let me use their restroom, I simply inform them that they can either let me use it, or I am pissing outside on their store. While I have had to make good on my threat a few times, I generally get the key.

• ryder28910 says:

I call shenanigans on any of this ever happening. I’d gladly let you make good on your empty threats (as I’m sure others would) just to watch you get arrested and registered as a sex offender for public urination. Your plan only works in theory if you’re 3) internet tough guy.

50. emptyV says:

did they offer you colonge, or a hot towel, a stick of gum or a condom…? If not, he had better not have gotten a tip!

51. dvdchris says:

I think I would threaten to whip it out and just pee on the floor right in front of that asshole.

52. Promethean Sky says:

I swear to [insert deity here] that if they tried this on me, I would whizz behind the building.

53. Jack Straw from Wichita says:

you know how they get the rent-a-cops to actually do their job right? they make them clean the bathrooms afterwards

54. sophrosune says:

I have had so many problems with that in New York… once I was out with my 4 year old who had to pee, and literally nobody would let us. Ironically, when in that situation I usually go to McDonalds (especially when in Europe)… maybe they are wising up that they are the go-to place for people who are planning to pee and run.

55. Metachronal says:

Nothing new, especially in NYC.

Tip for parade-goers: buy french fries the moment you get into the city, and put them (uneaten, half eaten, just don’t finish them!) in your backpack or bag, whatever. This is now your city-wide bathroom pass.

56. Mihai says:

Romania, Bucharest
    I saw this policy a few years ago at the McDonald’s that operates in the busiest underground station of the city. The receipt had a code (a number of 4-5 figures) that you could use to unlock the door to the bathroom – the code was valid only for a certain period of time after purchase (forgot how much, but reasonable).
    I think this is an understandable policy for food serving companies that operates in places with high pedestrian places. Imagine that you are a customer and cannot use the bathroom because it is used by people who are not customers, just passing by.

57. StevePierce says:

Just walk by a table that hasn’t been cleaned up and grab a receipt or keep on old receipt in your wallet.

Or just walk past them pretending to not understand whatever language they are speaking. They won’t touch you or try stop you though they may shoot your dog.