Save Thousands; Create Your Own Crappy Gap Logo In Seconds

As soon as The Gap’s underwhelmingly crappy new logo hit the internet, many puzzled haters commented that they could make the same logo with even the most bare-bones design software. Well, now they don’t even have to go to that minimal effort with Crap Logo Yourself.

For example, Consumerist’s own Tax Cat decided it was time to upgrade his image to meow to a younger generation. So instead of doing what Gap did and spend money on a pricey creative agency like Laird & Partners, we just pointed Mr. Cat to CrapLogo.me, where a few keystrokes later he had completely revamped his image. He also coughed up a hairball.

Unfortunately, “Consumerist” is one letter too many for the CrapLogo generator to handle. So we’re stuck with what we have for the moment.

Our friends over at AdAge.com actually spoke to someone at The Gap who was willing to admit this wasn’t all some late April Fool’s joke:

But, given the swift, predominantly negative response online, plans to roll out the new logo further now appear to be in flux. Ms. Callagy said she couldn’t comment on whether the logo would be rolled out to stores….
Replacing signage, updating credit cards, employee name badges and the like would surely be a pricey endeavor. If Gap decides to trash the new logo completely, at least the debacle won’t have cost it millions; it would save itself the heartache experienced by Tropicana when it yanked product off of shelves last year after a much-maligned redesign.

Crap Logo Yourself [CrapLogo.me]
Gap Speaks Out: Yes, the Logo Is Real [AdAge.com]

Comments

1. Griking says:

/shrug

It’s a meh logo.

It doesn’t make their product or customer service any better or worse.

• UltimateOutsider says:

It cheapens their brand, and that can have a huge long-term impact on a company. Product quality and customer service rarely have an impact on mainstream fashion sales. The brand is almost everything.

• aloria says:

A company that is so lazy and incompetent that they won’t do the legwork in making sure the logo that replaces their 20-year brand isn’t a massive joke is probably lazy and incompetent in other ways, too.

• Gulliver says:

Or maybe they decide to put their resources into improving customer service and product quality instead of a LOGO. I guess you are one who thinks if they have a fancy glitzy expensive Super Bowl ad, they must be a good company because they spent all that money on it. With that mentality you are just another of the sheep being led to slaughter

• 99 1/2 Days says:

But they didn’t, they decided to replace their perfectly good logo with a crappy one.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Boy, that’s a lame assumption on your part. They spent money on a crap logo that they didn’t need. You really have to twist yourself in knots to defend it.

2. segfault, registered cat offender says:
  3. Michael Belisle says:

Many puzzled haters commented that they could make the same logo with even the most bare-bones design software.

I’d like to point out that the fact that it’s simple is not why it sucks. Anyone with the most basic design software can also “make”, say, the McDonald’s arches, the Nike swoosh, or the Apple apple. (Or, even, the former Gap logo. )

Very few people, however, can come up with a simple logo that’s memorable, iconic, and versatile.

4. danmac says:

As soon as The Gap’s underwhelmingly crappy new logo hit the internet…

All right…I’m going to play Grammar Nazi on this one. Because “underwhelmingly” is an adverb used to describe exactly how crappy the logo is, the meaning of the sentence is the opposite of what the author intended. The logo is actually overwhelmingly crappy.

5. Jfielder says:

Speaking of tropicana…. I wish they would’ve kept the little orange shaped caps. That was the only part of the new packaging I really liked.

6. pecan 3.14159265 says:

You could always disemvowel yourself first.

7. CookiePuss says:

Reminds me of the H&R Block logo. Simply a blue square as opposed to a green one.

• Michael Belisle says:

Quiz question: Why is the deceptively similar H&R Block logo a good logo at the same time that the Gap’s logo sucks?

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

You know something really hilarious? I’m a graphic designer and I swore that I would never understand why that logo is effective or why the hell they even use it.

Then I had a customer come to me for brand identity, and the source they wanted me to pull from had these little accent squares (it was a painting, and the artist used them in his works to juxtapose the images)

So I came up with this:
        So.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Because our opinion of H&R Block could be so low that we want it to have a plain logo so as to not tempt people into actually using its services.

• AK47 - Now with longer screen name! says:

Well, for one, when you have “Block” as part of your company name, a block of color in your logo actually has some logic to it.

• CookiePuss says:

I guess because H&R Block has block in their name and if you shop at the Gap the new logo implies you’re a square? I hate pop quizzes. :(

I’m just glad Dicks Sporting Goods didn’t use that logic.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

If tax accountancy is what you think of when you think of the word “fashion…”

• Michaela says:

Block placement, color, and need are the tree reasons for me.
        First, H & R Block usually has the block placed to the left of their name, not in some lame corner.
        Second, a solid green block is cooler than a block with the stupid fade you find on middle school power point presentations.
        Lastly, H & R Block does not have to meet the standards of the fashion industry. The GAP does.

8. Total Casual says:

Cynical theory: Gap created the mediocre logo to create internet buzz. Next week they’ll announce they plan to restore the original logo yielding widespread praise. You heard it here first!

9. kataisa says:

Publicity stunt. When was the last time anybody shopped at The Gap?

Exactly.

• Marshmelly says:

er…last week? haha

• RandomHookup says:

They just sold a record $11 million in Groupons in one day, so someone is shopping there:

• DorsalRootGanglion says:

I like their pants.

• Gulliver says:

I actually bought a sweater there last night, if that matters in the conversation. In the month of September GAP Inc had sales of $1.34 BILLION dollars, up from last years $1.33 Billion. So obviously it wasn’t all from me, but thanks for playing the ” I’m too good to shop at (fill in the blank store)” I bet if you read every post on consumerist, there is usually one like you.

• lordargent says:

I went into the gap about 6 months ago (jeans were on sale).

All the jeans I could find had something pre-done to them.

/It’s getting harder and harder to find a simple pair of blue jeans these days. I don’t subscribe to the idea that putting a bunch of marks and rips and friction burns in jeans, before you buy them, is fashionable. If I want jeans that look like they’ve been through hell and back, I will take them to hell and back.

/you should see my paintball jeans

10. krom says:

One wonders what the hell exactly is going on in the marketing research industry for there to be these major rebranding backlashes like Tropicana and Gap. One expects that the image firm does focus groups on its logo proposals before presenting them, or else the client does its own focus groups before accepting them. Which means these focus groups are giving these new brandings high marks — while the rest of the world gives it a goose egg. There’s clearly a really big disconnect. Either that, or image firms these days are cheapening out and not bothering to do any focus groups at all, just tossing some PS work at the client for max ROI. Perhaps a couple failed proposals here and there are acceptable losses for the ROI they make with every other client?

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

For me? There wasn’t anything wrong with the new tropicana brand. Apparently, though it clashed with safeway generic branding and safeway shoppers got upset. I have never even set foot in a safeway, so I didn’t see the issue.

• MMD says:

Have you ever been part of a focus group? I have, and it was the biggest joke ever. I got paid a hundred dollars to talk about shampoo brands with several other women. We were asked the most ludicrous questions – things like, “If this brand of shampoo were a person, would you be friends with her?” We had to arrange the bottles of different brands in order based in all kinds of whacked-out criteria – things like which brands seemed more “fun” or “flirty”. If, like me, you believe that shampoos are all pretty much the same, you might conclude that it was a ridiculous exercise. And if you’re asked a bunch of ridiculous questions, you might give arbitrary answers because there’s nothing substantive to go on when considering those ridiculous questions.

Maybe some focus groups aren’t like this, but I remember laughing on my way out, $100 in hand, thinking that a) it was crazy was that someone was going to take the “data” from this insane exercise and make business decisions based on it and b) that they paid us to give them garbage answers to garbage questions.

Garbage in, garbage out.

So.

• Daggertrout says:
  11. dreamfish says:

So now Taxcat has a logo? How long before it gets an office and a staff and consequently a platform from which to challenge Ben/Meg for the editor’s job?

12. Razor512 says:

got the fixed logo, now holds the entire word : consumerist

13. Razor512 says:

also fixed the main logo :)

14. Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Thanks for bringing the site down! All I get is “connection timed out.”

15. axiomatic says:

What this crap logo really reeks of is management messing around in art/advertisement. Leave it to management to make poor decisions and skimp on the one thing your consumers identify with the most.

Fire your management Gap. You can thank me later.