Is This The End Of Recession Pricing For Hotel Rooms?

While the last couple years haven’t exactly been wonderful for people in the hotel business, many travelers have been able to score cut-rate rooms as hotel operators sought to fill rooms. But now, says USA Today, it’s looking like rates are back on the rise again.

The report cites a handful of examples, like the news that Marriott recently increased room rates for the first time in two years and Travelocity’s claim that rates for rooms in its 20 biggest markets this season are up 3.5% over where they were a year ago. In fact, the cost of hotel rooms in NYC are up 12% from fall 2009, says Travelocity.

Marriott’s president tells the newspaper that the better times appear to be here to stay:

Many seem to wonder if the economic recovery has any strength and if there is a risk of a double dip… There’s nothing in our business that indicates this. Business and leisure travel are strong.

Hotel rates rise as more people travel [USA Today]

Comments

1. Angus99 says:

Dear hotel industry: Good Luck with that.

2. D0rk says:

This appears to be true, at least in some Florida areas. In the past year i’ve planned a couple small staycations so we can explore our state a bit more and prices have certainly gone up.

3. WiglyWorm must cease and decist says:

The recession is over. Hiring is always the last part of the economy to pick up. I know that’s no real consolation to those who are still having a hard time finding a job, but layoffs are starting to slow, and soon hiring will start again too.

4. FrugalFreak says:

All these stories, press on TV, Reports, and all the hoteliers wishing it was over won’t make it so.

Unless I see jobs brought back, I hope this recession continues indefinitley hurting those with the businesses that eliminated jobs to keep their salary the same. I won’t spend cash until I see an employment growth..

• mariex05 says:

Job growth will take awhile. When the recession started, jobs were one of the last things to be effected. Now that the recession is over, jobs will again be one of the last things restored.

5. RWD_V8 says:

Last week I paid $90 on a $159.99 Courtyard/Marriott room (advanced booking, downtown in a major city) using their Look No Further guarantee. If you do some research, you can still get recession pricing ;)

6. valthun says:

I tend to use pricelines name your own price and try for 50% off. It usually doesn’t go, but I give it a couple of hours and try again at 40% and I usually get what I want. But I always low ball, because you never know if you will get accepted at that rate.

7. dolemite says:

12% price hike for NYC? “Now with 200% more bedbugs! Try our shrimp water!”

• SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

the shrimp water is delicious and cleared of dangerous protoza by the shrimps. its a win!

8. redskull says:

Nothing to do with the story, but that is one damn fine looking sign. I wish they still made signage like that.

• SagarikaLumos says:

I agree with you looks wise, but if I saw that sign today, it spells AVOID. That sign has “used condom under the mattress” and “spiders in the bathroom” written all over it.

9. sonneillon says:

Sounds reasonable. More traveling means higher hotel demand which means they can charge a higher price. I see no problems here.

10. Good Cop Baby Cop says:

My hotel had recession pricing in place for a very short time.

11. humphrmi says:

It’s never a double-dip. Until it dips. The second time.

12. Razor512 says:

The hotel industry is a ripoff. compare the price to that of renting an apartment. also compare the size of a hotel room. For the price, you can get your self multiple apartments in order to prevent your self from having neighbors and still spend less than living at a hotel. if you were to live there as if you were living in an apartment.

• wrjohnston91283 says:

How many apartments allow you to do 1 night leases and come fully furnished with utilities and a cleaning service?

You can’t compare an hotel to an apartment. They aren’t the same service. It’s like comparing renting a car for a day to buying a car. Yes, its cheaper in the long run to buy a car, but only if you need a car the whole time, just like it’s probably cheaper to rent an apartment over the long run, but not if you’re only going to spend one night there.