Why Aren't You Buying KFC Anymore?

It’s been a bad year for the Colonel. People under 25 don’t know who he is; the KFC franchisees are in a lawsuit with their corporate overseers, Popeyes beat KFC in a taste test and the company is paying college girls to advertise the Double Down on their butts. To make matters worse, KFC announced yesterday that U.S. sales continue to sink.

Unlike its sibling fast food properties Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, which announced quarterly sales increases of 8% and 3% respectively, KFC sales were down 7% in the U.S. last quarter.

“The system is hurting,” one franchisee, who was formerly the company’s COO and currently owns 12 KFCs, told the AP about the situation. “We’ve got to do something to reinvigorate the system.”

Says Yum! Brands CEO:

There is no quick fix… We are absolutely committed to turning KFC around. And we’re seeing slow but steady progress.

Many franchisees continue to blame the company’s recent fixation on grilled chicken and sandwiches for consumers’ waning interest in its menu.

“It’s still Kentucky Fried Chicken,” said the aforementioned franchisee, referencing the restaurant chain’s old name. “Our DNA is fried chicken. That’s what we’re known for. And after the launch, there could have been a little bit better balance between grilled and fried. We were just all one-sided.”

While we’re on the topic of KFC, our readers in Canada who have felt bereft of the salty saltiness that is the Double Down will soon be able to try one for themselves. The bacon-and-cheese sandwich on fried chicken bread is set to make its Canadian debut on Oct. 18.

Yum CEO: No ‘quick fix’ at KFC in US [AP]

KFC’s Double Down coming to Canada [LFPress.com]

Comments

1. TuxthePenguin says:

Because Popeyes is better tasting… and I like me some spicy fried chicken. Plus I’m Cajun. Sure, its not the best, but its passable too. KFC is a one-trick pony.

• BDSanta2001 says:

And Popeye’s is much much cheaper.

• fatediesel says:

Agree on Popeyes. It tastes better, is cheaper, has better variety, and has much, much better sides. Since Popeyes opened in my town about 3 years ago I haven’t been back to KFC.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Yeah, what’s up with that? Why is KFC so bloody expensive? Their chicken pieces are so small.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

They have to pay for all those marketing consultants somehow!

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

My grocer sells cheaper fried chicken, and it doesn’t taste so greasy. Probably much healthier, relatively speaking. Yeah, grocery is the way to go.

• Jfielder says:

I agree… If I want fried chicken, which is rare, I’ll go to Popeye’s.

Spicy chicken FTW!

• Das G says:

Bojangle’s is better than both.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

True, but they are not in Houston.

• gman863 says:

…but Frenchy’s is. Beyonce was once quoted as saying Frenchy’s is often her first stop when she comes home from a tour.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I’ll be damned, so it is. Thanks, I think. :)

• gman863 says:

Two other thoughts on Houston chicken:

Hartz Chicken ranges from good to worse than KFC, depending on the individual location (Katy is good; Stafford is so-so). If you find a good Hartz location, the buffet is a decent deal. If there isn’t a breast or other piece you want on the buffet, go to the counter and they’ll give it to you with no hassles.

The best price/value for carryout is Wal-Mart. Again, the quality may vary by location but they’re usually much fresher than Kroger or Randall’s and about $2.50 less for an 8-piece pack. That, and the pieces are larger, too.

• dg says:

Honestly, I could eat Popeyes or KFC – it’s the same basic taste to me. However, the main difference is that KFC has me in the bathroom about 20 minutes after eating it, and Popeyes doesn’t do that.

I’ve discovered it’s some kind of additive that KFC and other like Brown’s Chicken use (in the oil I believe) that a certain percentage of the population is allergic to…

Haven’t eaten there for years. The minute they take out the hershey’s squirt additive, I’m good with it.

For the BEST fried chicken – go to either of the two chicken places in Frankenmuth, MI – damn good, no crazy damn good. So popular that they have a Vacancy/NO VACANCY sign on the front of the restaurant to let people know when they’re full… Did I mention that it’s really great?

• Clyde Barrow says:

Oh I know exactly the restaurant that you’re talking about. They have the BEST chicken dinner anyone can ever eat.

• mandy_Reeves says:

The only Popeyes in my area, is always the location of a robbery or shooting, which is sad. I want to try it. Anyone know if it’s good enough to risk your life for?

• jamar0303 says:

Unfortunately, I have no Popeyes within 600-odd miles of me. The closest one is in Hong Kong. I’m, well, 600-odd miles away now. It wasn’t bad when I tried it, though I’m personally not fond of spicy food.

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

…and you don’t have to wring out the oil and grease out of Popeye’s chicken, unlike that bastardization of what Yum calls “the Colonel’s original secret recipe.” My ass it is! Hurray, there’s a new Popeye’s that’s just opened a lot closer to me. Unfortunately, the closest Colonel is still closer. But it’s worth the extra 800 metre walk.

• Chaosium says:

“unlike that bastardization of what Yum calls “the Colonel’s original secret recipe.”

It’s salt, pepper, and TONS of MSG. There is nothing else.

2. mister_roboto says:

For me- I don’t really eat there much to not at all. Very occasionally like- 1 time a year now. I realized that it was making me feel like crap after eating there because- well, it’s sodium-fat-loaded fried chicken.

3. agent 47 says:

We don’t have Popeyes where I live, but I don’t think anyone eats there around here either. I think it’s the 10 year wait for your food that’s doing it.

• Mamudoon says:

Yeah, I’m gonna go with that. I rarely ate at KFC before I discovered Sonic’s popcorn chicken (there’s actually chicken in it!), but every time I did, I sat in the drive-thru lane for 15-20 minutes. Half the time, they gave me my food for free because I waited so long. What are they doing, slaughtering the chickens in there?

4. Gandalf the Grey says:

I don’t go to KFC anymore because they opened a Popeye’s in the city where I live. KFC dosen’t have anything to compare to the spicy chicken at Popeye’s.

• Griking says:

I don’t generally buy from KFC because the store near my home is dirty and has lazy employees and lousy customer service. That being said, when I’m out and on the road I will occasionally eat at other KFCs and when I do I actually prefer their grilled chicken. I also have a local Popeyes and while I do go there from time to time it’s generally not for chicken. I like their Jambalaya bowls and shrimp.

5. JohnDeere says:

im not buying kfc anymore b/c mine is also a taco bell, and everytime i go to order chicken they have to cook it and i have to wait 20-30minutes. how is that fast food?

• Gandalf the Grey says:

Honestly, I would rather wait the 20-30 minutes for fresh chicken than what I was served the last two times I was at a KFC.

There is a horrible circle with foods that take that long to prepare when you have declining sales. Each batch sits around longer, gets old, people don’t like the old chicken, so they don’t come back, which makes each batch last even longer……..

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I got KFC from a combination place once. It made me and my sister so sick I will never try that again.

6. razz4901 says:

The double down is probably killing off it customers….maybe they could look at salad…

7. dolemite says:

I like KFC (we don’t have Popeyes), but the prices are pretty high, the wait is long, and it is really, really bad for you.

That being said, we used to have a KFC buffet that we’d hit maybe once a month or less. We went in the other day, and noticed there was no chicken on the buffet. There was a sign up saying you can get 1 leg and one thigh OR 1 breast and all the “fixins” you want on the buffet. Now…it used to be all the CHICKEN (original, extra crispy and BBQ) you can eat, along with all the sides. We verified with the guy behind the register, then laughed, then walked out.

Usually at this time of day, there would be probably a good 12-20 people inside eating, but on this day, there was one lonely old couple.

• zekebullseye says:

I used to love extra crispy. KFC stopped tasting good to me a long time ago.

• qualityleashdog says:

I’ve been dragged to a KFC buffet on occasion. We walk in, I note the presence of a wing and a leg on the buffet (original, they have taken crispy away) and ask the clerk when I order if they plan on putting any chicken on the buffet. They’ll bring over a couple more wings, a couple of legs and a thigh. I go back again and ask where the chicken is. I point to the racks of cooked chicken behind the register, I ask why that isn’t on the buffet.
      I get dumb looks and one token breast put on the bar. I’ve noticed the same crap pulled at other KFCs, and they have removed their buffets all together. That is at least acceptable. But I don’t expect to come into a KFC, and pay a fixed price for an all-you-can-eat buffet and them limit what you eat by not stocking the bar. Either get out of the buffet business, or accept that people will come in expecting to eat 2, 3, or even 4 breasts if they want, and deal with it.
      The price of their chicken is incredible, double or more what you can buy hot, fried chicken at the grocery for, and horribly more expensive than fried chicken cooked at home. Is KFC really that damned greedy?
      Another time we visited the buffet, at 6:45pm, that’s the time our receipt read. There was no mention of the time the buffet closed, and when we ordered buffet, the clerk didn’t bother to say “The buffet closes in 15 minutes.” We sat down, made one trip to the bar (mind you, it actually take 20 minutes to wheedle a full plate of what you actually want from the employees, so it was just a skimpy plate), and by the time we started to return to the buffet, everything had been removed. I asked for a refund, and was told I wasn’t going to get it. I left, called management the next day and was invited back for free buffet. We returned at the lunch rush, gorged ourselves and then took several pieces and ate only the skin, leaving the pieces at our table on the tray, like naked buffalo slaughtered on the plains only for their hides.
      Those greedy bastards haven’t seen a dime of my money since, and I hope they’re run out of business.

8. outsmartbullet says:

I just don’t need fast food fried chicken, and I don’t personally know anyone else in Phoenix who does, either.

9. Macgyver says:

Maybe it’s because of the economy, people ain’t spending what they use to, and they cooking their own food at home.

• RandomHookup says:

Except that sales at Taco Bell and Pizza Hut are up.

• jurisenpai says:

Pizza Hut is gross, but you can get a pretty cheap meal there. Taco Bell has very, very cheap food. It’s not my favorite, but sometimes a bean and cheese burrito hits the spot.

KFC uses horrible ingredients and has horrible business practices. I will never, ever go there.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Because it’s cheaper and easier to make your own friend chicken at home?

• kayfouroh says:

Actually… making your own fried chicken at home is not that hard or expensive to do. Buy a whole chicken, cut it up, batter what you want, drop into a pot of hot oil, remove when cooked.

• RandomHookup says:

You can say it’s easy, but my mom, born & raised in the South, could never do it justice. We ate lots of holiday meals from KFC.

10. Joe-TFW says:

People are slowly realizing that “fast food” fried chicken is terrible. In nearly any city, you can find better tasting and better cooked fried chicken. Not to mention that every KFC I’ve gone into has been filthy, filled with uncaring employees and terribly lackluster service.

11. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I have a KFC literally across the street from where I live, and a Popeye’s five minutes away, and I prefer to drive ten minutes to get to Church’s.

• Gandalf the Grey says:

Wow, I have a Churches and a KFC within a mile of me, I drive 10 to get to Popeye’s.

There is such a wide swing in quality from location to location with fried chicken restaurants. It’s all about who has the volume to keep fresh product out all the time.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

True. My Church’s is in the… uh, kind of neighborhood where they eat friend chicken all the time.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

FRIED. Edit button, please.

• Gandalf the Grey says:

Yeah, My KFC and Church’s aren’t, but the Popeye’s is. Although that doesn’t explain why the KFC near the Popeye’s is so bad too.

• mmeetoilenoir lurktastique says:

Uh, racist much? We’s like watermelon too, yessuh!

SMH.

• Gandalf the Grey says:

I took it to mean lower income myself.

Honestly, I don’t get the stereotype. I have heard it before, but I don’t care what race you identify yourself as, fried chicken is delicious.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Interesting how you assume that my comment was racist, including what race you assumed I was referring to. In fact the neighborhood is minority Black, in fact it is predominantly Hispanic and Asian. I was talking about the general socioeconomic status of the people who lived around there. I’m not ignorant of the sort of neighborhoods in which fried chicken places seem to be concentrated.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

For the persistently dim bulbs, the idea is that turnover is higher, and product fresher, in areas where more fried chicken is eaten, and that this is correlated to a certain level of income and social status.

• prizgrizbiz says:

Location research FTW.

12. IphtashuFitz says:

I gave up on KFC years ago and now when I want a quick decent chicken dinner I go to Boston Market. I get more options for meals, a nicer selection of sides, and the quality of the chicken looks a whole lot better. On top of that the Boston Market places just look a whole lot cleaner and inviting than KFC.

• J Dig says:

Boston Market is definitely the way to go on certain things. Prices are very affordable to IMO and usually you’ll get a whole chicken for like a dollar when you purchase a certain meal or combination.

• gman863 says:

Provided you can find one that’s still in business.

Most of the Houston area Boston Markets have either been closed or converted into McDonalds. The only Boston Market left is the one in Sugar Land; it usually sits almost empty while the Chick-Fil-A a block away is packed.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Nope, there’s one on Westheimer, west of the Galleria, just past Hillcroft.

• gman863 says:

My bad. I forgot about that location.

The one in Katy is now a Micky D’s; I think the one in Pasadena is still empty.

• gman863 says:

Provided you can find one that’s still in business.

13. trey says:

maybe if the food resembled something more than a heaping mess of grease and 20 min. old chicken. when i order something i dont want it to be warm from a heat lamp i want it to be HOT from the fryer. since KFC has been unable/unwilling to do this in my previous visits i have chosen not to patronize their establishment anymore. when you are too worried about food loss and not worried about the customers this is what happens.

we have popeyes here in Florida and if it is fried chicken i am craving popeyes has what i need, and they seem to be cleaner than KFC anyways.

14. BigHeadEd says:

Double Down aside, maybe they should stop trying to be something that they are not; namely hip or healthy, and just go back to selling delicious buckets of fried chicken and sides. Go back to frying chicken in lard, and I might buy some.

15. JF says:

Because for the price I will go get wings at a sit down place.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I stopped doing that. The Wing Stop around the corner from my place jacked their prices up to nosebleed levels. They used to see me every week. Now they don’t see me at all.

• crashman2600 says:

Yes most wings are like a $1/ea which is ridiculous.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Wholesale prices shot up for wings this year.

Hm, good to know.

also good to know:

Speedwell’s Latest Wing Recipe

- 5 pounds chicken wings
          - 1 cup melted butter
          - 1 cup Sriracha sauce (the rooster sauce in the red bottle)
          - 2 tablespoons red (aka) miso
          - 1 tsp sugar (I use the equivalent in xylitol or erythritol)

Stir up together. Cut up wings, discarding the tips. Cover a broiling pan or two with foil, punch drainage holes in the foil, and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Place the wings in a single layer (OK if they touch, they will shrink). Bake the wings at 450 for 30 to 45 minutes, depending on how moist or crispy you like them, turning once. Much of the fat will drain away but they will turn out just like fried. Toss with sauce (you will need only part of the recipe).

• Billy says:

Raw chicken wings at a store are more expensive than they used to be, too.

I read that wing prices used to fluctuate around the Superbowl and holidays. Now, apparently, the prices just rise.

• DewBerry says:

50 cent wings at Pizza Hut on Wednesdays – with Buffalo Burning Hot sauce – YEEHAA.

That stuff is by far the hottest sauce I ever had at a national chain restaurant.

16. pandroid says:

I hate Popeye’s chicken, but to me, Church’s and KFC are of equal, low quality. The difference is that Church’s price actually matches the quality. If it wasn’t for the addictive mashed potatoes at KFC, I’d never go at all.

17. Thyme for an edit button says:

The food doesn’t taste good, that’s why.

• Mom says:

+1. If the food tasted good, people would come, regardless of the cost or the health…ahem….benefits. But the food doesn’t taste good. Maybe they should work on that, instead of all the new menu items and promotions.

18. SlayerGhede says:

1. Too expensive. I mean, I’m paying diner prices for fast-food quality food.
    2. Menu is SHIT. I mean, how hard can they make it to figure out how much a meal costs?
    3. The double down was disgusting. Nuff said.

• IphtashuFitz says:

And to continue with #2 – how the hell do you even know what they sell? The last time was there I found out that they were selling combo meals and other things not even listed on the darned menu. Do they expect us to be mind readers or something?

19. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

It’s really expensive compared to other fast foods. Also, I have not been there when I have not been asked to “pull forward” while they prepare my food. Most of the time, there isn’t even someone behind me.

Our KFC is paired with an A&W, which is also ridiculously overpriced. Maybe if they paired KFC with a cheaper brand, it would do better.

• pandroid says:

I’m jealous that you have an A&W. Best. Root Beer. Ever. They closed all the A&W’s in our area.

• jesirose says:

Like Taco Bell? Around here, if a KFC has something with it, it’s Taco Bell. yet Taco Bell’s profits are up and KFC is still down.

20. RandomHookup says:

One of the problems I have seen is that the stores haven’t been updated in 20 years. Many of them feel like a beat up truck stop diner.

• exit322 says:

Without the really good food that you know you’re probably going to get at a beat up truck stop diner.

21. CBenji says:

I would sooner buy a couple fried chicken chicken breasts at the grocery store because I don’t feel like I have to drink a bucket of water when I do. They must have at least a 40 tablespoons of salt in each little piece. I mean every now and then I do eat it, but so many larger grocery stores make fried chicken anymore that why do you need KFC? Plus the few times I have gone there and asked for the grilled kind they made me wait. Honestly they suck.

22. MDSasquatch says:

The chicken is mediocre at best, but the service just plain sucks; I cannot remember ever getting my order right the first time. I just gave up on the place and I doubt anything they do would ever make me want to go back.

23. Horselady says:

One word

DISGUSTING———–

One more, GROSS!!!

Does that answer your question?

24. valthun says:

I go to KFC maybe once every 6 months or a year. I just don’t have a lot of desire for a bucket of chicken. I don’t really frequent the other chicken chains either.

• cash_da_pibble says:

same here. Though if I want fried chicken I’ll go KFC.
      But even then- I will grub on the Coleslaw and ‘taters, and only eat 1 piece of chicken.

25. BETH says:

When I was on vacation last month, I stopped at KFC for the first time in ten years. It was so salty, it was inedible. I used to love KFC, but I threw most of it away.

26. Calcbunny says:

You can’t eat it while texting and driving silly!

27. INTPLibrarian says:

Aw. I actually really like KFC, but there just aren’t any convenient to where I live. I’m sure I’d eat it more often if there were.

28. BBinFL says:

Last time I went, they announced at the register they were “out of fried chicken” and would I like something else. I sarcastically asked what “KFC” stood for, they didnt appreciate my humor so I left. Straight to Subway and my body thanked me.

29. Foot_Note says:

think at least 2 of the “KFC” buildings have been chineese food, the locations have been closed least 10 years (one of em was shut more often then open cuse of “dirtyness”)

30. grebby says:

I hate to contribute to anyone’s Consumerist Bingo score, but I really do make my own fried chicken at home!

31. Daverson says:

Why I seldom go to KFC anymore:

1. They’re overpriced
    2. Every KFC I’ve been in around here has been filthy
    3. The service is slow as death

The nearest Popeye’s is a 20-minute drive from my house, but I can go there and buy a better-tasting and less-expensive fried chicken dinner for my family and bring it home faster than I can get chicken at the KFC right up the street from me. Seriously, WTF?

As for the chain’s other problems…well, maybe they shouldn’t have turned Colonel Sanders into a cartoon and then an unrecognizable caricature. And maybe they shouldn’t have bothered with the “grilled” chicken that tastes like they used Ass Seasoning on it.

• BomanTheBear says:

Thank you for capitalizing “ass seasoning.” I don’t know why I found that so funny.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Well, I see it like this. “Ass Seasoning” means “seasoning that makes food taste like ass,” or “seasoning made from ass”, but “ass seasoning” is seasoning you use to season ass. Or something like that. “Cajun seasoning,” for example, represents a third format since it is neither made from Cajuns, intended to make food taste like Cajuns, or used to season Cajuns before eating. Though I’ve known a few Cajuns who didn’t need any extra hotness. (grin)

• MisterE says:

Agree with you because I’m in the same situation.The KFC down the street from me is dirty and the service is slow. We have a couple of places around to get better chicken in a clean environment with faster service.

32. SonicPhoenix says:

Several reasons for me. For one, the KFC that was 5 minutes away closed and never reloacted so now the nearest one is about 30 minutes away. But even before that, the chicken always tasted like it had ben under the heat lamp for many hours (probably had been) and they were constantly out of certain sides and varieties of chicken. And the one 30 minutes away is only slightly better in terms of quality/availability.

Not for nothing but if I’m jonesing for some extra crispy with mashed potatoes, mac ‘n cheese and some biscuits and I get there and they’re either out of one or the chicken is hard as a brick, that’s unacceptable. And it only takes a few times before you just start going somewhere else.

33. missmicrophone says:

Too expensive and their service blows.

34. You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

The chicken filets are terrible, their bacon is disgusting, and the mac and cheese is a crapshoot. I used to LOVE going to KFC, but I’ve been very disappointed the past few times I’ve been there.

But I guess the same can be said for most fast food places lately. I also used to like Arby’s and Taco Bell, but their food seems to be going down hill as well.

35. MaliBoo Radley says:

It’s too damn salty and the pieces are too small.

• jamar0303 says:

I think they’ve given up on America. At least, none of my local KFCs in China are like that (cheap? Check! Salty? No way! In fact, I think some of their stuff is too bland, but…). In fact, business is booming here, so I’ve been told.

36. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

The problem with KFC is that it isn’t really fast food or sit down restaurant quality. It’s somewhere in between — It’s somewhat expensive for what it is, it’s not really made to order but takes awhile to be served, and then the restaurants are always kind of dingy.

KFC really needs to model itself after Boston Market or Kenny Rogers. There really isn’t a price difference between them and KFC but the food is significantly better.

If I’m craving fried chicken, KFC really has nothing more to offer than the pre-cooked food counter at Krogers.

• humphrmi says:

I must admit, Krogers (Food 4 Less where I live) is some darn good chicken. Just had some the other night, not as good as Popeye’s but much better than KFC, and roughly five bucks for eight pieces.

• lockdog says:

My old job had nothing but fast food places for lunch options. Consequently I bring my lunch about 75% of the time. But when I did get the notion for chicken, I’d drive past a KFC to get to the KPL (Kroger plate lunch). It was just as good, cheaper and much better service. Luckily my new job is about a 2 min bike ride from home, and for food options I’ve got an organic health food market with adjoining cafe and across the street an awesome barbecue place.

37. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Fatty Foods, meet Social Change.

As we improve our country’s health awareness, restaurants like these will inevitably die in the process, or become something completely different from their current iterations.

38. ORPat says:

Why would I pay $20 for chicken for 2 people when for that same $20 I can make enough chicken to feed 10 people. Better chicken too.
    On the rare occasion I don’t have the time or energy. I have a local grocery that makes chicken that beats KFC in Flavor and Cost.

• Guppy06 says:

Now, why is that specific to KFC rather than restaurants in general?

• Venality says:

I think its because KFC has the ‘fast food’ association to it, where you could go to McDonalds and stock up on 20 dollar menu items, but $20 at KFC can get you so much less.

39. MonkeyMonk says:

A couple years ago I bought a KFC chicken sandwich it was bar-none the worst tasting travesty of a chicken sandwich I’ve ever had. It looked like crap too. If I hadn’t gone through the drive-thru I would have taken it back.

Never been to a KFC since.

40. Jason Litka says:

I don’t buy KFC anymore because it takes 20-30 minutes to get through the line to get your food and it’s not worth the wait. I’d just rather go to Chick-Fil-A and get a Spicy Chicken Sandwich. It tastes better than anything at KFC and the wait is usually about 2 minutes, if that.

41. yeknom02 says:

I don’t eat there because I get so little for my money. Smaller portions are fine by me, but don’t charge me $10 for $4 worth of food.

I’m noticing that many people are complaining about food quality, but I think their food isn’t too bad, especially their grilled chicken.

42. sp00nix says:

more options, drop the sh1tty service, clean up the stores.

43. georgi55 says:

Chick-fil-a all the way

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

They add sugar to their chicken coating. Or at least they did back when their founder was still alive.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

ERRATUM: I have been reliably informed that the founder of Chick-Fil-A is still alive. Sorry, folks.

44. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

Reason’s I’ve cut back:

Long waits while they cook up another batch.
    Plenty of bland/grilled but not the Original I want to buy.

Left-overs look disgusting & fatty – make me ponder my original purchase decision.

Kitchens look dirty compared to other fast food outlets.

A tiny wing counts as a “piece”.

I’ve aged out of the early 20′s demograhic.

45. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

1) There isn’t one near me. 2) Its terrible for you and 3) It really doesn’t taste all that good. Except for the biscuits… but I make my own at home.

46. Dragon Tiger says:

I like KFC, and I like the double down, and I like the grilled chicken. I loved the fiery grilled wings, but they’re gone. I loved spicy crispy chicken, but it’s gone. I liked the green beans, but now they’re gone. I liked extra tasty cripsy (old recipe extra crispy), but the extra crispy just doesn’t taste that different from original recipe now.

Last year I started going to KFC when Popeye’s chicken became unbearably small and somehow still undercooked. I go back occasionally, but only when I’m jonesing for it. In contrast to most folks here, I don’t find Popeye’s that much superior, but at least they have spicy chicken.

(And yes, I know the franchise location owner buys the chicken themselves, which explains the tiny chicken in my area. In other areas I have seen beautifully large pieces at both KFC and Popeye’s).

47. lettucefactory says:

I think the franchisee has a point – if they’re going to try and compete on sandwiches, people aren’t going to pick them over Chick-Fil-A in any significant numbers. Chick-Fil-A is miles above any other fast food chain, IMO. But there are only so many places you can get actual fried chicken, and Chick-Fil-A poses no threat there.

Of course, I get the point that fried chicken is one of the least healthy things in the world to sell, and why that’s a problem.

I’d probably pick KFC over Popeye’s if they were the only two restaurants around, but that’s a low bar. I’d pick McDonald’s or Taco Bell or even (ugh) BK over either of them. I’m just not that into fried chicken.

48. Plasmafox says:

The food tastes GREAT.

But all the single serving menu options give you way too little for what you pay. The family meals are pretty good offers IIRC but are way too much food for one person. But things like popcorn chicken, where it should cost them almost nothing to make but you get a little 3x3x5 box full of mostly breading for just over $7… there’s just no reason to pay that when I can go down the street to hardee’s and get a thickburger combo for just *under* $7..

And if you have a popeye’s in town, their chicken is better because of the spicy breading they use. One of the grocery stores around here also sells fresh fried chicken a la carte with comparable taste and a lower price. They even offer similar side options.

49. FeelinFroggy says:

Because I do not like getting the shits every single time I eat “anything” they sell.

50. Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

Anymore? I’ve only been to one once in my life, about 20 years ago. My friends were going on about the mashed potatoes & gravy. It was icky to me. Not a fan of fast food in general, I only go when there’s no other choice, maybe 1x a year.

51. lmbrownmail says:

When I need a fried chicken fix I go to Chik-Fil-A, get a Chicken Sandwich, and ditch the bun. Their chicken is so much better!

52. DoodlestheGreat says:

Any fried chicken I get now comes from grocery store delis. I haven’t been to a fast-food fried chicken place since the day I first had El Pollo Loco.

53. rushevents says:

Too bad too… Ain’t nothin better than the Colonel’s original recipe!

54. brianisthegreatest says:

It’s always been about popeyes chicken.

55. Scuba Steve says:

They just don’t have KFC where I live, they don’t sell value oriented lunch menu items, and they have the stigma of being unhealthy and messy, which makes them only a “once in a while” option.

Besides, I grill all my chicken at home. On my Foreman grill.

56. 339point4 says:

Mmmm… fried chicken DNA.

57. bfwebster says:

I used to really like KFC, and when our kids were still home, we’d bring home a few buckets with lots of sides (we had a lot of kids). But the last time I tried some was a few years ago — driving back from some business in the north part of Colorado, I stopped by to see my daughter and three grandsons and took them all out to KFC (my idea; hadn’t had KFC in years). I ordered myself an Original Recipe breast. Greasy, messy, didn’t taste all that great.

On the other hand, I occasionally pick up a whole roasted rotisserie chicken from Costco. ..bruce..

58. Southern says:

Reason #1 – Popeyes. I prefer the taste of Popeyes over KFC almost any day of the week.. However, I *do* enjoy the occasional “original recipe” as a type of comfort-food, but that brings up
    Reason #2 – Price. KFC is at least 2x more expensive than Popeyes, often times 3x more expensive for the same amount of chicken. Popeyes almost ALWAYS has some type of sale going for multi-piece chicken orders (9 pieces for $4.99, for instance), KFC is almost always “menu price”.

I still get a few pieces of KFC a couple times a year, but I’ll hit Popeyes up at least once a month.

59. 24gotham says:

I haven’t been in years… Because their food is fattening, and bad for your health.

60. dosdelon says:

I stopped eating KFC way back when they stopped making those tasty chicken nuggets. They were still known as Kentucky Fried Chicken back then and I used to eat an entire box of 20 pieces all by myself.

61. LenVesper says:

Simple for me, being a Canadian customer: The price is very high compared to other franchises nearby, the combo selection for delivery is utter crap, the only ‘spicy’ option they have are hot wings, which are good at times, but they have no other real options for spicy if you don’t use those packets of hot sauce.

Instead of trying to get ‘healthier’ with that grilled bullshit, which no one in their right mind believes in the first place, they should just concentrate on making food that tastes good and isn’t 20% more expensive than alternatives in their sales area.

When ‘in house’, the wait times for your food are just horrendous. The look and texture of some of their products could use work, too. Even if it’s fast food, presentation is important.

62. MadDog233 says:

11 years ago I moved into a town where I had 2 KFCs nearby – both about 15 minutes away. One was a dedicated unit, one was a KFCTaco bell. Having no other source for fried chicken, I’d occasionally try either of the places. The dedicated unit was nasty inside and the outside area was in really poor condition, to the point of stuff falling off the drive through menu. Almost every time I visited either, things were not available or I was told there would be a 10-15 minute wait because they were just not making the items – even at 6PM at dinner rush hour. The KFCTaco bell was especially bad, even after I had called corporate customer service to complain several times. Plus, the food just isn’t very good. Too many strikes, and it’s apparent that Yum has no standards for either food quality, execution time, or cleanliness for it’s franchisees.

63. dreamfish says:

In contrast to a number of the comments here, I actually like the coated fried chicken taste and the service has usually been OK (except when it’s busy but that goes without saying anywhere).

It’s just that I couldn’t see myself eating it all the time – maybe when I’m in the mood or there’s one nearby when I’m away from home.

64. Sir Winston Thriller says:

Why? Because the outlets are old, dirty, and run by shrill harridans who couldn’t get an order correct if their jobs depended on it.

65. erratapage says:

Last couple of times I went to KFC, they were out of chicken.

66. RxDude says:

Not buying any less, either….

67. dotkat says:

I quit going there after the infamous free item with coupon incident. If you issue coupons and don’t honor them, I won’t be your customer again, ever. I have a KFC nearby and I don’t go there. I have to drive miles to get to a Popeye’s, but their food is actually worth it. The employees at the Popeye’s are nicer, too.

68. DeepHurting says:

I think their chicken needs more addictive chemicals that make you crave it fortnightly.

69. BurtReynolds says:

Maybe people are realizing that fast food fried chicken is terrible. Its not very good and its awful for you.

70. Amnesiac85 says:

Back in college, I used to eat KFC a couple times a month, since my roommate enjoyed it. However, nearly every single time, they got our order wrong. It got to the point where we would get our stuff, double check, and pull the car back around to get the rest of our food. This was honestly nearly every time we went.

Since college, I’ve barely eaten there. The couple times I did go, though, the restaurant were fairly dirty. When my girlfriend and I went to try the Double Down, we waited for a friggin half hour to get it. They weren’t even busy! That was the last time I went to KFC, and I had no desire to go back since then. If I’m ever in the mood for fast food chicken, Chick Fil A or Popeyes fills that void.

71. BurtReynolds says:

72. FrugalFreak says:

PRICE…PRICE….PRICE…PRICE….PRICE…PRICE……….PrIcE!!

73. colorisnteverything says:

The only reason I would go is for the biscuits. That said, I haven’t been to one in 2 years and then it was one in England where there are no biscuits. They have fries instead. Fries blow. So I didn’t go back.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Germany, too. Hannover, in fact. Fries, no biscuits. (Biscuits are cookies.) I asked for hot sauce there (yes, their English was pretty darn good actually) and they looked at me like they had trouble translating the words.

74. schiff says:

I dig their popcorn chicken. I went to a KFC, ordered a large popcorn chicken, and they refused to give me anymore than 1 honey mustard sauce. Not even forcing me to pay 15 cents per pack — they simply wouldn’t give me more than 1. I haven’t been back since.

75. kataisa says:

“We’ve got to do something to reinvigorate the system.”

How about advertising? I can’t remember the last time I saw a KFC commercial on TV.

• FrugalFreak says:

Kinda hard to advertise high prices on mediocre food items.

• thesalad says:

You must be watchign good tv.. when I watch bad TV I see 1 ad a week or so. .. Since seeing the ad I”m cravign it.. but remember the points I posted and say forget about it.

76. Bremma says:

I don’t eat their often anymore 1. Cause I’m dieting and 2. Of the 4 KFCs I’ve eaten at int he past few months, 2 of them suck (of course the more convenient ones). One of them was out of biscuits when me and my BF went, and the other does not have the snack size popcorn chicken I liked, and is very very slow. The others are better, though the second one near my boyfriend is still on the slow side. The one that is hard for me to get to near me is pretty nice, but I don’t usually drive that way due to it being a longer route from work to home, and traffic is usually worse on that route.

77. Marko_Vulvic says:

Dear KFC:

1.) Your food sucks.
    2.) Your service sucks.
    3.) Your prices suck.

Signed, Everybody.

78. vastrightwing says:

I’ve pretty much stopped eating any fast food: MD, KFC, TacoBell, Pizza Hut, etc. The fact KFC is doing worse is probably that the parent Co. hasn’t been keeping the brand alive. I’ve not seen any ads for it in a long time. My advice is to either ditch it or start marketing the heck out of it.

As I recall the last time I went to KFC, the pieces were small and expensive. I felt like I didn’t get a good deal.

79. MonkeyBoy says:

-They keep pushing extremely fattening food. Chicken is supposed to healthy. Figure it out.
    -The KFC by me is usually dirty. Service is slow. And they constantly run out of chicken that I want.
    Considering the above, and all the choices I have. Why would I go to KFC?

• Venality says:

I can’t imagine anyone ever mistook KFC for being healthy at any point in time. That’s hardly a reason to not go there any more.

80. infohound10 says:

KFC used to be the best (imo) but lately everytime I eat there the chicken is dried out, the fries are cold (they even managed to screw up the biscuits) and the service is so incredibly lousy that I refuse to eat at my local KFC. Also, high price for a little food. Simple fix = no cold dried food and better service. Not that hard people, not that hard.

81. cgskitters says:

They need to lay off the salt and MSG. I go to El Pollo Loco now or get fried chicken from the grocery deli.

82. Some_Can_Whistle says:

There is a mom and pop place in my hometown that has way better chicken and it costs less. Also, they have completely watered-down and obscured their brand. It’s KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN people. It’s full of carbs and fat. Calling it KFC and trying to hide your main product doesn’t help you. When I think of fried chicken, I don’t even think of KFC. It’s just an acronym and it doesn’t mean anything.

83. AstroWorn2010 says:

Here in Cincinnati Ohio we have mostly combo KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Huts. I can’t speak for all them in the area but the locations near where I live and work are rundown and filthy. If I eat fast food chicken I’ll go to Chick Fil A, they always provide great service and a clean place to eat.

84. daemonaquila says:

I don’t buy KFC any more – despite really liking their chicken – because of horrible service. I don’t know if it’s corporate policy that’s driving this, or just some franchisees near me, but they never have any food ready to sell. They’ll only have one kind of chicken, so if you want another type you have to wait 20+ minutes. They’re out of mac ‘n cheese, but they’ll prep a batch… if you want to wait 10 minutes. It’s just not worth the hassle. The final straw was when I waited 20 minutes in the drive-through (they had curbs at that location that prevented cars from pulling out of the line, and there were cars in front and behind, stacked up), and when I got my chicken it seemed like it had been left under a hearing lamp for much longer than allowed. It was literally desiccated and inedible. Yes, I have given them an earful, not that it seems to matter.

85. Corinthos says:

I stopped the day I went through the drive through and ordered a double down. They gave me a grilled one which on the menu is the also available. So I should have to specify. The manager refused to give me a refund and the 800 number was no help. I only spoke the the manager on the phone if I would have went to the store the cops most likely would have been called because he was an ass.

86. KyBash says:

I was a faithful customer until the price skyrocketed while the quality went down.

I will sometimes get desperate for a fried chicken fix and go to one, thinking “it can’t be as bad as I remember.” It’s always worse.

87. Ecks says:

If I remember, I’ll go to KFC to try the Double Down. KFC sandwich prices are generally too high and I never find them that good to be worth buying.

88. jake.valentine says:

I don’t go to KFC largely because I was served chicken with maggots on it back in the 90′s. It also doesn’t help that you feel like you are walking into a wall of frying oil when you walk into a KFC and feel the humidity change. Lastly, I feel sick about an hour after I eat their food everytime. No spicy option + terribly unhealthy for your body + poor quality control = FAIL. If I want fast food chicken I’ll go to Wendy’s and get their spicy chicken sandwich.

89. FooSchnickens - Full of SCAR says:

KFC (around these parts, anyways) hasn’t been worth going to since ’07. Around that time something in their recipe changed because their formerly oh-so-delightfully crispy shell on their original recipe turned into a sloppy, caked-on, greasy nightmare. Luckily, their chicken tenders were still the same, so I continued to get those until they suffered the same fate several months later. And because there was a popeye’s within earshot of the KFC, I started going there and never looked back.

90. LHH says:

I used to like Kentucky Fried Chicken. But in the past few years whenever I decide to give them another go it seems like no matter which one I pick it is filthy, food is “old” not fresh by any means, or run by unsupervised children.

I kid you not the last one I was in I went with a friend for lunch and the while the girl was taking our order one of the kids coming on shift was scratching his ass and let loose a loud, over the top belch while heading to the locker room. Needless to say we left. What was worse is that the girl who was taking our order was totally clueless as to why we were leaving without completing our order. Simply unbelievable.

91. CookiePuss says:

KFC doesn’t taste the same it did a few years ago. I never ate it much but I remember the chicken being nice and juicy and the spices were pretty good; now its always dry and nasty.

The last time I went there they charged over $45 for a bucket (12 piece or so, don’t remember) of original recipe chicken, no sides or soda. I’m sure it was a pricing mistake but that’s where me and KFC parted ways.

92. balderdashed says:

More so than with other franchises, I find extreme variation in quality from one KFC to the next. Unfortunately, the one in my suburb is particularly bad — on my last visit the chicken seemed undercooked, fatty, and altogether unappetizing, and the place looked dingy and not all that clean. Too bad, because I used to love KFC. There’s a better one ten miles away (in a slightly more affluent suburb where customers are apparently more demanding), but I’m not willing to drive that far, when I can stop at Costco and pick up a chicken for about five bucks.

93. Geekmom says:

I like KFC, but the even after ripping down the stinky rancid smelling building, building a fancy new place, and hiring new people they still give me a bucket with grease at the bottom and chicken that is soaked in grease.

If they could cook the chicken at the right temp and drain it so that my bucket isn’t a swimming pool I might buy their food again.

94. Wrathernaut says:

They had some really good chicken strips for a while – rivaling Chik-Fil-A, but then they went back to the crispy strips. I stopped going shortly after that.

95. MoreFunThanToast says:

Their chicken always taste like crap, its way too salty and soggy and overpriced. Who likes soggy fried foods? Not me.

When I do want fried chicken, I prefer Popeyes, but the closest location is a good 20 minutes drive away, in an area where there are lots of other great foods.

96. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

I don’t eat Fast Food anymore because…well…None of the cashiers in Texas speak English…

• Keith is checking the Best Buy receipt of a breastfeeding mother (for tips!) says:

Where in Texas are you? I’ve lived my entire life here (in several cities) I sadly only speak English, and as my waistline will attest, I’ve never had the least difficulty communicating my desire to trade money for fried, salted goods.

97. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

1. The people who will eat KFC are not a fan of ‘cute college girls butts’ with ‘double down’ written on them.

There’s one reason for ya, KFC.

98. RavenWarrior says:

Often KFC is too expensive for what it is, not to mention the poor service from area locations. If it were closer I’d be all over some Popeyes, but it’s a good drive away for it.

99. agpc says:

1. Price – too expensive for the meager, low quality pieces of chicken.

2. Quality – see above; the employees mistak orders frequently.

3. Popeyes.

100. chztoast says:

I worked for KFC 20 years ago, it so different then. They killed the company by trying to be fast food. We used to make everthing from scratch everyday. The biscuits went from scratch made to add water to the frozen crap they have now. The gravy used to be made with real chicken cracklins (chicken crumbs from the fryer, sounds gross tastes great) Now it’s just add water crap. The potatoes always were instant, but tasted better back then. We made fresh cream and fruit pies everyday. The extras we had were things like livers and gizzards and they always sold out. We had 4 fryers that could cook 4 chickens worth of pieces each at a time and we would still run out on fridays and saturdays every week. This was in Nor Cal and our customer base was mainly old people and college kids. The prices were so much more in line with what chicken is worth then too. Now the cost of a meal is outrageous for what you get, not to mention the crap with a lot of the deals only including dark meat. And have you seen the price for their hot wings? Are they crazy? Ahhh, the good ol’ days.

101. Dre' says:

Why would I buy KFC when Winn-Dixie & Publix both have better chicken & aren’t filthy.

102. fs2k2isfun says:

I had KFC’s $2 deal on Tuesday (thigh, leg, side, biscuit) and it was awful. I hadn’t had KFC in probably 18 months and I remembered why I hadn’t been back. The breading came right off the chicken, it was bland, and the mashed potatoes tasted very artificial. Church’s is much better.

103. 420greg says:

Lee’s Famous Recipe FTW!

104. swarrior216 says:

I still eat at KFC. I also get Publix Fried Chicken. And that is up there with KFC in taste. I have not tasted Popeye’s yet because I don’t want to drive 20min to get it.

105. kityglitr says:

KFC used to be better. Like, 10 years ago the KFC original recipe was like crack to me. Then the chicken inside the skin started shrinking year by year. It’s nothing but a mouthful of fat now.

106. GTB says:

I would happily stop in for a failure bowl(tm: Patton Oswalt) every once in a while but the closest KFC to me is like 30-45 minutes away. Plus, buying fried chicken from the grocery store deli counter is about 50% cheaper.

107. KixStar says:

KFC is too expensive, not as easy to eat on the go as say, cheeseburgers, and the quality of their chicken has seriously diminished in the last few years. Never mind that (at my local KFC anyway) you can’t get extra-crispy anymore.

108. Razor512 says:

KFC reduced the size of their chicken so you are paying more and getting less.

There is a lot of flower/ breading (more than almost any other place in order to make the pieces seem larger)

They need to add new herbs and spices like in that episode of the boondocks.

109. humbajoe says:

I actually rather like KFC. I don’t eat there because, where I live, all KFC’s that I know of are in the ghetto. I don’t go to fast food restaurants in the ghetto. Therefore I don’t eat KFC.

Hell, other than getting what they roast at the supermarket, I don’t know of ANY fried chicken places that aren’t in the ghetto.

110. davidc says:

Price …

Their “meals” don’t include a drink, yet are more expensive then other places “meals” that include a drink.

They nickle and dime you. Went there with my son, and wanted to get him 2 earns of corn with his meal (that included 2 sides) … but they wanted to upcharge me for the 2nd ear even though they were the same price on the menu.

They don’t have a $1 menu to speak of.

I had a craving one day and went there are order 1 piece of chicken (breast) and 1 biscuit and paid nearly 5 dollars. I was in the drive through and almost refused it when I got to the window (as they had not told me the price when ordering).

I did go there the other day for their $1.99 Leg/Thigh + Biscuit deal but overall they are waaaaay to expensive for what you get.

They need to get back to a price point of 4.99 to 5.99 for their meals and those meals need to include a drink. I am not going to hold my breath as this is the company that brought us the “grilled chicken” that is really not grilled.

111. MaximusMMIV says:

They can start by lowering their prices! The last time I went into a KFC was on vacation two summers ago. It was hellaciously expensive, and the quantity of food was absolutely pitiful. At the point, my wife and I decided we wouldn’t bother going to KFC ever again (and we haven’t).

112. Trick says:

In my city, there are two owned by the same cheap ass owner, who also owns the only other KFC 25 miles away so he offers no specials and no specialty items you might find elsewhere. Everything about how he runs his store screams cheap and screw the customer because they have no choice. Actually we do so I just don’t eat there. The owner used to have four stores but one closed about a year ago because people just stop going to it.

113. prezuiwf says:

If I’m hungry for chicken, I go to Popeyes. It’s a no-brainer. Popeyes tastes like authentic, flavorful fried chicken and KFC tastes like fast food. And Popeyes’ sides are better too, especially the biscuits.

114. ichiban1081 says:

When I was a kid I loved it when my grandparents and I would go to KFC and bring home that big ass bucket-o-chicken. Over the years the service got terrible, not enough chicken, almost no sides, VERY dirty and this was in Long Island. It’s like the quality degraded over the years and then I experienced Popeye’s. Everyone I’ve been to has had nice hot crispy fresh chicken, fast and friendly workers and very very clean. I haven’t been to a KFC since my grandparents retired about 7 years ago.

115. tz says:

I don’t do much fast food anyway, but KFC was one of the better choices.

1. There aren’t any nearby. Or even on the freeway “food next exit” signs.
    2. I tend to eat late, and they rarely have my 1st or second choices when I’m there, or it takes a while when they do.
    3. Their ever changing menu makes me avoid them. Oh, the extra tender crispy popcorn strips were only last month…
    4. Their coupons are complicated or are for things I don’t want (either type or quantity).

I like the chicken when I can get it, and the sides are good, but so are Church’s (usually combined with White Castle).

The other one I mentally avoid is Wendys – they may be better, but they had a high error rate and since they don’t let people “park it” you can be incarcerated in the drive-through for an hour.

116. thesalad says:

Here’s my deal.
    1. It’s a 2x a year treat for me.. becuase it’s dripping with grease and I eat pretty healthy.
    2. Every time I got there the stores seem dirtier than before.
    3. I go there 1x a year if that.. becuase every time I order something.. I drive 10min to get back home (That’s the closest one to my house) and am missing something. I filled out an online coment card about how I didn’t want to go back because after 20 min my chicken’d be cold then.. and got no repsonse at all.

117. failurate says:

Tiny little twig legs and itsy bitsy wings. Tasted finchy.
    I think the shrink ray got their birds.

That and the grilled chicken is horrendous (beef flavorings??? WTF?!). My guess is this is death by focus group + marketing MBA’s.

118. ossuary says:

1. After waiting in line to get to the order speaker, I am told they are “out of chicken”. WTH?!?
    2. After waiting in line to get to the order speaker, taking my order, and taking my money, I am told to pull up because they are frying more chicken.
    3. On the rare occasion I have actually been able to purchase KFC chicken in the past two years it has been as if the chicken flesh was in a tornado and twisted and knotted into an unpleasant texture.

That said though, I did have to try the double-down and the very first one I tried was heavenly. A couple of weeks later I tried another and it was horrible.

119. thehumidity says:

S. Truett Cathy is still alive & kickin’. I don’t know if Chick-fil-a adds sugar to their chicken, but I second “Chick-fil-a all the way”!

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I’ll be damned. Someone told me he was gone. I actually met the man when he spoke at the college Bible study I was going to at the time (since I am an atheist and I was a vegetarian for a long time, you can guess how much that changed my life…).

120. thehumidity says:

121. bitplayer says:

Bojangles is my poison of choice although I have none available to me right now. Perhaps the chicken pieces shrunk due to all the PETA nonsense about doped up birds, which is probably true but it’s true about all our food. I was shocked to find out they don’t offer extra crispy anymore, just original and grilled.

122. 3skr1mad0r says:

Wow KFC must be getting worse over time. I haven’t had it in a few years because there isn’t one nearby. Growing up I always liked it though. Original, not extra crispy. They had good macaroni salad as well, though I hear they don’t have that anymore.

123. Serpephone says:

I prefer Church’s and it’s much cheaper… or I’ll splurge and buy Chicken Tenders at Chicken Express or Golden Chick

124. tronim says:

maybe if they would get my order correct…. “yes, an eight piece of grilled chicken..” I get home and open the bucket (my first mistake…i waited until I got home) to discover fried original and not the juicy grilled chicken my mouth was set to bite into. no kfc no…you’ll never do this to me again.

125. tvmitch says:

Taco Bell and KFC franchises, owned by different people, are within a mile of my workplace. The Taco Bell was recently renovated, lots of work put into it. The service is still crap but you can’t really expect too much. I can go there and get in and out fairly quickly though as long as I’m not asking for something complicated.

The KFC down the street hasn’t been touched in 20 years. The staff are rude, stupid, lackadaisical, and unpleasant. The food is always, always awful and takes forever to receive. The restaurant looks as if it hasn’t had a hard cleaning since Nixon was in office. The franchisee of that location is obviously doing the bare minimum to get by…seems like KFC is the bastard child of the Yum! brand fast food joints right now.

They need to do what Pizza Hut has done, in part. Simplify the menu, focus on far fewer products (chicken. biscuits. a few sides. that’s it!), and make them better. Invest in the restaurants.

126. agtwork says:

10 years ago, “Kentucky Fried Chicken” (not this new hip “KFC”) was awesome. The quality of the food was excellent.. It used to be a place that we would go to for birthday parties because it was a rare treat – expensive but delicious.

Now, I feel like the place is exclusively out to put me in an early grave. It’s still a rare thing (3 times a year) that I eat there, but mostly because the food is sooo terrible. I usually get ill after eating, and then beat myself up for deciding to go there in the first place.

I think things took a turn for the worse during that period 6 or 7 years ago where they eliminated all the transfat from their menu – Counter-intuitively, Something changed with the recipe where the food actually became LESS healthy for you.

127. DrMonkeyPhD says:

I remember liking KFC as a kid (maybe 20 years ago) and looking forward to Mom or Dad bringing it home for dinner, but not anymore.

First, Popeyes started moving into my old town and their sides and spicy chicken just did it for me in a way KFC’s never could.

I moved to a new town five years ago without a Popeyes, so figured I’d give KFC a shot again. Their “buffalo” sauce literally smelled like the inside of a dumpster (both my roommates agreed it made our apartment smell like garbage) and I can’t imagine it tasted much better. Ever since, I feel nauseous just thinking about trying them again.

Since then, Bojangles has moved in (I like their chicken, though I’d still prefer a Popeyes) and people want to tear down the KFC and build a gas station there instead. I won’t shed any tears when they’re gone.

128. Keith is checking the Best Buy receipt of a breastfeeding mother (for tips!) says:

…because KFC is expensive, the pieces are small, their sides are terrible, and the store is often dirty? That about cover it?

129. HogwartsProfessor says:

I quit eating there after the food made me sick…twice. Once I could think was a fluke, or not them, but twice means no going back.

Anyway, I’m trying not to eat that stuff anymore.

130. tacitus59 says:

The last couple of times I went there the food was lackluster at best and they also seem to have particularly unenthusiastic workers. Can’t entirely fault them for their enthusiasm level, but its even worse than most of the other fast food places. One of the times I tried the double down and that managed to be too salty even for me. They need to go back to the basics and try to get their food not to taste like it has sat around for 4 hours.

131. privax says:

Popeyes has the better recipe. It’s as simple as that.

Their chicken looks lighter in color, is crispier and has more flavor while on the other hand KFC’s chicken generally looks darker in color and seems to hold onto a lot more grease.
    I will also add that of every Popeye’s franchise I’ve ever been to the chicken generally seems a bit hotter and a lot fresher.. not so much for KFC.

132. duncanblackthorne says:

It’s fattening, disgusting crap, and I refuse to eat it, even if it was free.

133. Yentaleh says:

I can give you one name why KFC doesn’t do well here in Puget Sound region…….EZELL’S (btw one of the co-founders is my neighbour here in Seward Park.)

134. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

Why was this posted today instead of on Tuesday? After all, it’s the 6 month celebration of

4/12
    DOUBLE DOWN EVERY DAY

135. cybrczch says:

Only went there for 2 reasons:
    1) the Twister wrap, which they discontinued
    2) gizzards, which I get a craving for once in every 10 years.

136. Kardinal_Offsales says:

Because ordering and waiting for food at KFC feels like hanging out at a bus station. The stores tend to be dingy, crowded and old, lots of trashy people will awful tattoos and baby strollers, etc.

137. Good Cop Baby Cop says:

Because the last time I tried to order from KFC, it was a farce that ended with my driving off because the employee at the drive-through either couldn’t or wouldn’t understand me. All I wanted was the two piece grilled meal. That’s what I said when the employee asked if she could help me. “I’d like the two piece grilled meal and a drink.” She asked, “Original or extra crispy?” It devolved from there until finally she confirmed “my” order: 2 pieces of grilled chicken, nothing else.

138. desterion says:

Every time I go in there either the prices have been raised or the portion sizes cut. The last time I went it was a combination of the 2 and I just had enough. I was getting a lot less for a good bit more and I swore I’d never go back to KFC.

139. tonsilpool says:

Prices too high, quality too low.
    The last time I went to KFC in Danvers, MA, they were charging, with sales tax, $3.50 for an extra side of cole slaw or potatoes. That is $7.00 more added to the feature meal price.
    The sides were only half full. I took everything out of the bag to check it because it is a 20 minute drive home and I don’t trust them. I tapped the sides on the counter and took the covers off, only half full and made the counter person fill them up. Got a real dirty look from her.
    The chicken was old and cold. Take the coating off and find the chicken hard and browned with age. The wings, under the coating, had no editable meat at all.
    KFC is done with me. Also, there wasn’t a native English speaker in the place.

140. LastError says:

No KFC because Popeyes does taste better. No KFC because the employees at my local KFC/A&W are rude SOBs who don’t deserve my business. No KFC because the local KFC is filthy. No KFC because I don’t like potato wedges. No KFC because the local one waters down the Pepsi. This one store makes the whole chain look bad.

But it has to be said I don’t eat a lot of fried chicken anyway. But when I do go, it’s not to KFC. Popeyes is actually quite a distance away but worth it because the chicken is better.

141. clarkbarr says:

No, I go to El Pollo Loco when I want chicken. It tastes a whole lot better and it’s not as greasy.

142. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Coincidence? Just got KFC coupons in the mail yesterday. The booklet says “Celebrating 70 Years” on the front.

16 piece family meal? $29.99 with coupon.

Me cooking chicken at home that isn’t soaked in grease, with home made cole slaw, mashed potatoes, biscuits, and maybe some cooked veggies? 1/2 the cost and much healthier.

The prices are just too high for the quality of the food you get. And unfortunately, KFC is our only chicken choice – no Chik-fil-a, Church’s, or Popeye’s. So I make my own.

143. Minze says:

I stopped going to KFC a few years ago for reasons listed here in other comments. Whenever I went in I had to wait for my order to be cooked. I was always given something to try and make up for the wait but a free family dessert wasn’t worth my 20 minutes in the store.

More recently, the local supermarkets (ShopRite and Acme) have been selling fried chicken in their stores. It’s good and the meal deal comes with fried potatoes (think extra thick steak fries with the skin on) and honey rolls. It’s good. To top it off, on Monday nights they have a sale which gets you 8 pieces of chicken, 4 rolls and a ton o fries (not literally) for $7.99. Great Deal.

144. common_sense84 says:

Prices, Prices, Prices. KFC is damn expensive.

145. mcgyver210 says:

KFC commits FRAUD on most of the country & they wonder why no one buys their Grease? They are DUMBER than I gave them credit for.

146. Chip Skylark of Space says:

I don’t like it because it doesn’t taste very good. I like Popeyes, but hadn’t had it for years until I bought some earlier this year.

147. Running_Fool says:

The local restaurant’s staff is really creepy, rude, and, rude.
    Also they play a local religious radio station that’s entire message is “you’re a sinner”.
    Just let me eat my chicken and double service of mashed potatoes and gravy.

148. Mogbert says:

It could be that KFC just doesn’t taste as good as… well any other place is better. I getter fried chicken at my supermarket. I prefer Popeye’s or Bojangle’s over KFC any day of the week.
    The big turn off for me is the after taste and the texture. They tell me they never freeze it, but texture reminds me of chicken I’ve frozen. The after taste, to me, says it’s less about the 11 herbs and spices and more about the chemicals.

Honestly, I’ve eaten at KFC maybe 4 times in the last 5 years, and one of those was with a free Oprah coupon. Still wasn’t worth it.

If you want to turn your sales around, make better food cheaper. Look at McD’s. I stopped eating there for a decade (last time was the first time they offered 0.50 (or was it 0.25) hamburgers. I was halfway through eating one when I realized I couldn’t taste any meat. I wasn’t able to finish it and stopped eating there altogether. Well, I still won’t eat their hamburger (BK or Wendy’s FTW) but McD’s breakfast is awesome now, and they’ve redesigned their places, and the people act like it’s not the last place in the world they would like to be (hey, a bad economy makes people appriciate their jobs more, I guess).

149. Donkey Hoti says:

Their prices have gone up, their portions have gone down, and while I prefer their chicken, I don’t prefer it so much over Church’s or Popeye’s that I won’t go where it’s much cheaper.

150. The Dord says:

Because they stopped selling boneless chicken wings..

..No Teriyaki flavored goodness..

151. Conformist138 says:

I stopped liking KFC because it just seemed too fatty. Not because it’s bad for me, but because the high-fat chicken gets all soggy. I adore crispy chicken skin, so I just use garlic and cajun seasoning on pieces of chicken at home and bake it. Start skin-down for 10-15min, then flip it over for another 10-15 (I prefer thighs, they stay very juicy). Maybe turn on the broiler for the final crisping. No added oil, no extra-super-fatty chicken, all for a much lower cost and without even leaving the house.

152. gman863 says:

In Houston, the problem is their quality of of food and service is a game of Russian Roulette. Although their Bellaire store is usually at least average, the location in Stafford has the honor of giving me the worst service and wait time I’ve ever received in a fast-food place.

Frenchy’s is the best in Houston for taste, but loses points since it’s carryout only.

Speaking of carryout, the best value is (gasp!) Wal-Mart. If you get it directly from the deli (not the grab and go pre-packs), it’s usually fresher than Kroger since Wal-Mart sells more and cooks every few hours. The pieces are larger than Kroger or Randall’s (Safeway) and the price is about $2.50 less for 8 pieces.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I never have any luck with the Wal-Mart on Dunvale. Their prepared chicken always has a strange off-taste. I stopped buying most meats at Wal-Mart anyway when I noticed I was consistently sick after eating chicken, beef, sausage, and ham sold there. Frozen fish, oddly, seems fine.

153. coyotefreek says:

For me I am sick of the downsizing of the meals and inconsistency in pricing and promotions between franchise owners. First they changed the triple crunch to a double, never ordered that again. Then the store I go to the most raised the buffalo snacker to $1.25 from $1.00. One store by my old house has a $3 sandwich and potato wedge deal which I cant find anywhere else. Even that deal is frustrating as they refuse to let me substitute the potato wedges for a different side. Oh and the value drink is a joke, its a water cup they fill with soda.

I just never know what I’m going to get when I go to a store. The only thing that is a good deal is the various promos but those are inconsistent. Everything else has decreased in quality and increased in price. Its hilarious that the franchise owners are complaining to corporate that the advertising is completely to blame when most of my problem is with all the franchise owners themselves.

154. Urgleglurk says:

Maybe it’s because KFC food is disgusting?

Nahh…can’t be that. ;-)

155. haggis for the soul says:

I’m not buying KFC anymore because the last several times I stopped by there in the evening, say 7pm, they were “out” of chicken and wouldn’t fry up any more. Talking to other people in my town, they had been running into this as well. When a chicken restaurant “runs out” of chicken at two hours before closing time, it’s time to take my business down the road to Lee’s or make my own at home, both of which I now do.

156. Jerkamie says:

In Canada KFC is so over priced. It’s like $25 a bucket.

157. Blind Cynicism says:

People go where the food tastes better. Popeye’s > KFC in taste. It shouldn’t surprise the folks at KFC that their sales are down. In many places, there are usually better local options too (Crown Fried Chicken, local Chinese take out joint).

And to the folks at KFC: fried chicken should be crispy – not soggy pieces of white/dark meat that they pass off as fried chicken….I’m looking at you Original recipe.

158. IamSpartacussss says:

wait hold on a freaking min, white people eat KFC whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

sarcasm ended

159. JasonB says:

I used to go there for their buffalo boneless wings, but then they stopped carrying them. I would still go occasionally for the buffalo snacker sandwich, but they don’t carry those any more either…

So I guess I’m not really going to KFC any more.

160. Greekboy says:

It’s simple. KFC is over priced.

161. Greekboy says:

It’s simple. KFC is over priced.

162. Lollerface says:

Popeyes gave me the most awful liquid squirts years ago. Havent touched the stuff since.

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

That’s what my last encounter with the “Colonel” gave me. Not what one wants to have to deal with when trying to sleep, either.

163. esc27 says:

Unless the grilled chicken promotions confused long term customers, I doubt that is the problem.
    No, my guess is that it is because (in my experience) the average KFC franchise location is filthy, slow, and out of at least one regular menu item. If the franchises would quit pointing fingers and cleanup their own restaurants, the situation would improve.

164. scoosdad says:

I’ll tell you why I don’t go there. My local KFC in a city location (01610) is wedged next to a fire station and has a small parking area that is only on the side of the building where the drive through line starts. The drive through line is almost always backed out almost to the street, and it’s impossible to get out of a parking space in the lot if you’re lucky enough to get into one, because the drive through line blocks the space you need to back up. And if you do back out, your only way to exit is to join the drive through line.

Has nothing to do with the food, it’s the simple mechanics of buying something there. Smells delicious but I won’t try to stop there. But I hear the firemen are frequent visitors.

165. hardtoremember says:

I don’t want grilled chicken and I don’t want crappy sitting around for an hour fried chicken; therefore I do not eat Kentucky FRIED Chicken anymore.

166. Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Was this blog post the reason why KFC is now bringing the Double Down to Canada? Or is this just a strange coincidence? You decide.

167. mathfeel says:

I don’t go to KFC in the state because I don’t like deep fried food, period. The irony is that, I recently went to China and went to a KFC with some friends. Their local menu offering is completely different and I thought some item like chicken potage is actually kind of…healthy…

168. BytheSea says:

People think of KFC as family food. It’s a sit-down meal that you have to actually sit and eat like civilized humans. But people don’t buy fast food for the whole family anymore. They buy for themselves, or they buy grab and go like pizza. KFC should promote their individual meals more.

169. dwb says:

I hope someone from Yum! is reading this: GO BACK TO KFC’s ROOTS. Keep it simple. Do it well.

170. Freddy Fiasco says:

I work outside and all over the city so KFC breast meal was always a good choice twice a week. But then they changed their menu and forced you to get a drink and only ONE side Or Pay almost $2 more for the Meal.
    Some places would let me sub the drink for a second side(which are the same price!)
    It became too much of a hassle so i stopped going all together.

171. poetworm says:

I remember KFC being good back in the 90′s, it was always our Super Bowl food of choice. The quality has just gone down significantly over the years and it’s one of those places you just want to drive past now.

172. kross10c says:

my local KFC is filled with employees with bad hygiene. there is trash on the floor and tables.not to mention it’s too hot.
    the main reason i don’t go is half the product i’m paying for is bones that get thrown away. oh and the prices are too high.

173. Rena says: