What Every Child Needs For Christmas: A $15,000 Gingerbread House

For the child who has everything except an edible playhouse, the folks at Neiman Marcus have just the thing — a 6-foot-tall gingerbread house. And don’t worry about the cost, because it can be all yours for the low, low price of $15,000.

The delicious digs were created by NYC sugar shack Dylan’s Candy Bar and is on sale now though Neiman Marcus’ Christmas Book (those who don’t celebrate the holiday apparently wouldn’t want such a creation).

Per the NY Daily News:

The $15,000 creation would make Willy Wonka jealous, with 381 pounds of gingerbread, 571 pounds of royal icing and thousands of lollipops, cookies and gumdrops.

So forget about that car you were going to buy, or your house payments for the next year, or your retirement fund. Or maybe you can finally let go of the extra maid at your summer house to make room in your budget. Because this is what a child — or child at heart — really needs and deserves this holiday season.

Sleighbells bling: Neiman Marcus debuts $15,000 gingerbread ‘Christmas Book’ [NY Daily News]

Comments

1. diasdiem says:

Witch sold separately.

2. FatLynn says:

I’ve never been sadder to be a Jew.

• Gizmosmonster says:

Ask em to leave out the cotton candy baby jesus. Problem solved.

• Yentaleh says:

No, that would be the gummy baby Jesus. Gummies aren’t kosher as they contain gelatin. (Unless you go with gummies from Israel-Paskez or Elite, they are kosher)

Btw I agree, I’m now sad that I don’t get to partake in this wonderful concoction……It looks scrumptious!

Early Chag Hanukkah to all you Heebs on Consumerist, love from the “Yentaleh”

You know though……Why couldn’t they just make a giant menorah out of sefgunyots (Israeli donuts) and chocolate gelt? That would certainly make up for the loss of the Christmas gingerbread house!

• UncleAl says:

This would have been perfect for Sukkot, yes?

3. SonarTech52 says:

That would be awesome…

He huffed, he puffed, he ate the house down…

4. qwickone says:

Why? Seriously, why?? I’m sure at least a few will be sold, but why???

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I always kind of treat them as a joke. I know the items are real, and Neiman Marcus knows this, too, but we both know it’s regular people who make up the bulk of their clientele, not the people who buy $15,000 gingerbread houses. Hence, why a good portion of the Christmas catalog has items that are actually affordable.

• Pax says:

If I had thekind of money where I could afford that?

I’d buy one – for a Children’s Wing somewhere. Or maybe for the Childrens’ Hospital, in Boston.

Sure, it’s somewhere around a thousand pounds of sweets. But divided up between ~500 kids? Not THAT bad an overload. And it’d certainly brighten their day to see such a gargantu-mongous gingerbread house!

5. nextyearsgirl says:

Hey, if you’re wealthy and fantastically stupid enough to buy this, more power to you!

6. axhandler1 says:

I make my own gingerbread houses at home?

7. whatdoyoucare says:

Really it is the gift that keeps giving: Neiman Marcus throws in a free live in animal trainer to train all the new pets you also give- mice, rats and cockroaches!

8. Bob Lu says:

I’ve never made a gingerbread house by myself so please forgive me if it is a stupid question, but is it normal for a gingerbread house to have more icing than gingerbread?

• Bremma says:

Yes, Very normal. The royal icing is needed to support and hold together the walls and roof of the structure. it’s also often used as snow on the roof and ground of the gingerbread house, and is perfect to use to attach candy decorations to the house.

Now I want to make a gingerbread house.

• womynist says:

I made my first gingerbread house last year and it was so fun! However, it was so pretty I couldn’t bring myself to throw it away. So there it sat in my living room until springtime. A few of my wierder friends took it home and ate it, knowing it was like 6 months old. From what they said, it was pretty good after they figured out how long to microwave it for (to soften the gingerbread). Gross!

• NashuaConsumerist says:

Hey! Did you forget your ‘weird friends’ read the consumerist?

But it was still edible….

• womynist says:

I was thinking of you while I was typing it…..I certainly didn’t mean wierd in a bad way. Perhaps I should’ve said “unique” or “open-minded”? =)

• NashuaConsumerist says:

Yea yea yea…. :) Hey, I just hate seeing things go to waste. Especially tasty things….

I was waiting for someone to post “Busted!” after my response.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Mass and volume are two different things.

Please be more specific when you say “more” because while it’s clearly there is more icing than gingerbread by weight, it is not clear whether or not there is more icing than gingerbread by volume.

9. dreamfish says:

Child: Buy me this gingerbread house!
    Parent: Sorry darling but I can’t afford $15000
    Child: YOU DON’T REALLY LOVE ME!

10. borgia says:

Whenever I see stuff like this I try to work up the outrage but, this is the closest you will ever come to seeing trickle down economics. Really rich man buys 15,000 dollar ginger bread house making someone midly richer and they buy a smaller house and so on… Its useful to have the wealthy spend lots of money and I can’t worry too much about the spoild kid who will get this

• satoru says:

If you’re shopping at Nieman Marcus then spending $15k in general isn’t a huge problem just in general. They have evening dresses that can start at around $5k, and you can only wear them once! Because god forbid someone notices you wearing the same cocktail dress twice to an event. Hell Valentino has a shoe that’s $5k made of lace.

Heck the ‘weird’ stuff in their Christmas catalog has been getting kinda tame over the past few years. Pre-market crash they were selling packages like Arnold Palmer designing a golf course in your back yard for $10 million, or a $2 million wedding package.

Also 99% of the catalog is just the ‘normal’ stuff they sell in the store. Which can range from expensive jeans, to really really expensive evening wear.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I shop at Neiman Marcus once in a while. Sometimes it has great sales and I look for work clothes or a special occasion dress (but not evening gown).

• satoru says:

I usually try to raid Nieman Marcus after Christmas and on New Years to see what stuff I can get on sale. Sort of the irony is that when the economy was good, they had much better sales going on. Can’t beat a pair of Armari pants for $50! These days though, the deals are so pedestrian. 50% off a $100 t-shirt isn’t a deal in my book :P

11. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Does it come w/Katy Perry and a whipped cream dispensing brassiere?

12. Angus99 says:

Opulence.

I has it.

13. Portlandia says:

This photo should be submitted to photoshopdisasters.com

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Yes! The first think I noticed was the 2-D kid who looks like she was cut out of a magazine and pasted onto the door of the house.

14. Michaela says:

Oh my goodness! I would play Hansel and Gretel in that. :)

15. richcreamerybutter says:

Children’s playhouse? More like, menstrual hut.

16. onbehalfofthebunnies says:

Price per pound (right around $15/lb) that’s not a bad deal, just an enormous amount.

17. chucklebuck says:

You could buy an actual (foreclosed) house in Detroit for this.

• Portlandia says:

yeah, but could you eat it??

• chucklebuck says:

You COULD eat anything. I mean, for the money these houses are going for, you could deck them out with Nestle Crunch siding.

• Blueskylaw says:

Radical cheap: $1,000 homes
      In places like Detroit and Cleveland, banks are unloading rundown homes for next to nothing. And they’re tremendous bargains, even after factoring in renovation costs.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) — The real estate market is so awful that buyers are now scooping up homes for as little as $1,000.

There are 18 listings in Flint, Mich., for under $3,000, according to Realtor.com. There are 22 in Indianapolis, 46 in Cleveland and a whopping 709 in Detroit. All of these communities have been hit hard by foreclosures, and most of these homes are being sold by the lenders that repossessed them.

In Detroit for instance, Century 21 Villa owner Randy Eissa has a three-bedroom, one-bath bungalow of about 1,000 square feet listed at just $500. It’s a nice place with lots of light, but it needs a total rehabilitation inside, which Eissa estimates will cost between $15,000 and $20,000. But that’s not bad, considering that the home last sold for $72,000 in late 2007, according to Zillow.com.

With prices this low, lenders aren’t looking to make any money on these deals. They just want to get these houses off their books, so they don’t have to bear the cost of maintaining them and paying property taxes.

In fact, the $500, $1,000 or $3,000 that a buyer forks over often goes straight to the real estate brokers as a commission. And often the lenders have to kick in extra cash to make it worthwhile for a realtor even take the listings, according to Eissa.

18. satoru says:

I really don’t know why they always make ‘news’ about this every year. I’m sure Neiman Marcus appreciates the free advertising and all. But still considering they’ve been doing this for years, why are they still ‘surprised’ at what’s in the catalog. Not to mention it’s so toned down since 5 years ago, it’s practically a downgrade to be offering a ‘mere’ 15k playhouse as a special Christmas thing.

• Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Might thoughts exactly. If that is the high end outrageous item from this years catalog, this economy is REALLY looking pretty bad.

Normally, aren’t their signature, PR stunt catalog items in the $50,000 to 100,000 range? And frequently his and hers at that price each?

• satoru says:

Depends. They’ve had stuff that was in the million dollar range up until a few years ago. Like the personal golf course in your back yard designed by Jack Nicklaus for $1 million. A ‘get your own thoroughbred horse’ package with stables, horse, and such for $10 million. A $12 lear jet. The $3.5 million sky car. The his and hers bowling alley starting at $1.5 million. A 10 picture Andy Warhol collection for $3 million.

It’s only in the past 2-3 years that the catalog has become somewhat ‘boring’ to be honest.

19. Blueskylaw says:

I only want this if they will paint the gingerbread house on the side of my plane.

20. JollyJumjuck says:

Add this present to the $21,000 mech for your child to complete the recipe for an adult guaranteed to have entitlement issues.

21. AngryK9 says:

Making skinny kids fat since 2001

22. Buckus says:

For that price, it better include $14,000 in gold bouillon…

23. BangBangAnnie says:

At over 900 lbs, better hope it’s constructed sturdy enough not to collapse on the kids.

24. The cake is a lie! says:

Does it come preassembled, or do they just roll a truck up with all the ingredients and you assemble it yourself? I think at that point you would need to check local ordinances for zoning for building a residence in your house for a wicked witch. Bread crumbs not included…

25. SOhp101 says:

It’s funny how everyone derides Neiman Marcus for things like this but they’re put in the book to generate publicity. It works every year.

• satoru says:

Yep as a PR mechanism it works great. If the economy is good, people ooh and awww at the insane things that are in it. If the economy is bad, news agencies report on it so they can be ‘oh look at the rich people wasting money’ angle. Either way Neiman Marcus gets free PR, and no one who is ‘outraged’ by the catalog is going to be shopping there anyways so they don’t really care.

26. Mr_D says:

So how would it get here? Does it come pre-assembled and moved by forklift in to your house? Or are there IKEA-like assembly instructions? How long will it last? Are any of these questions remotely important to someone who would spend $15,000 on a consumable item for his or her progeny that will likely come to resent them in a few years?

27. Larraque eats babies says:

Learn about structural integrity as you eat the candy cane that once held up the roof!

28. kataisa says:

What a strange random comment.

29. Gizmosmonster says:

For that kind of money, I want more chocolate.

30. sopmodm14 says:

this is why we should tax the rich…..how would buying a stupid $15k for their rich/spoiled kid stimulate the economy ?

that $15k should be used for taxes, so the govt could mis-use it instead, lol

or they can buy the $15k gingerbread house and feed some of the needy this holiday season

there’s a fine line b/w extravagant and ignorant

31. BETH says:

Neiman Marcus always has one over-the-top item in their Christmas catalog. This one is really pretty tame compared to the million dollar diamond bra they had for sale about ten years ago.

32. PsiCop says:

Quick! Someone call the Food Police to have this abomination outlawed!