VIDEO: The Meat Deboner Machine

Seeing how much you all love science and pictures of giant pink goo/mechanically separated chicken, here’s a promotional video for an automatic meat deboner. Chicken carcasses go in one end, meat pulp gets extruded from a screw on the other. Warning, this video may be considered gross by some. Or many.

The clip has a jaunty, danceable. electronic song for background music, and a voiceover provided by a non-native English speaker.

(All the win has been harvested from the parts of this video that would otherwise be discarded in our high-tech internet blog-making process.)

PREVIOUSLY
What Mechanically Separated Chicken Looks Like

Comments

1. mmartinek says:

I watched this while eating Jack in the Box. This is the food we eat people; get over it.

• smo0 says:

No… this is the food YOU eat.

• trey says:

actually it is the food most people eat… there is a reason they have become so efficient at pulling all the meat off of an animal. there is a huge market for this stuff, that is why there are som many fast food restaurants in this country.

• LandruBek says:

“Most people”? Most people aren’t American and most people eat little or nothing from fast food restaurants. smo0 is exactly right, this is the food you eat.

• kcvaliant says:

A good portion of the meat/food the world eats comes here.. People need to grow up and face reality..

• Elcheecho says:

no, but most countries have fast food restaurants. i’m sure at least 1.5 billion people in the world have had mechanically separated meat at some point or another, maybe more. one day, everyone will have access to cheap animal protein. Huzzah!

• trey says:

my intention was to reference America, you know, since that is where I live. I wouldn’t assume (cause that would make me look like a bitch) to know what the rest of the world eats but i do know that most of the fat fucks in America eat this shit.

but you go ahead and ASSume all you want little man.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

I don’t know if I actually ate that. What is the date of production? I had fish last night. :D

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

(Reading below, turns out there’s some extruded fish in the video I can’t see… just going by the still with chickens on a rail)

2. RxDude says:

A meat boner would be more entertaining.

3. Xenotype51 says:

The mechanically separated fish almost made me barf…

4. HoJu says:

Knife-a goes in,
    Guts-a come out,
    That’s what Osaka Seafood Concern is all about!

5. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

I bone my own meat at home.

6. ThyGoddess says:

I’m hungry.

7. Polarix says:

Bleh… I always get queasy while watching these types of videos >_

8. smo0 says:

When you think about what it is.. sure it’s icky. But I love watching that show on how stuff is made… so videos like this always interest me :D

• roguemarvel says:

me too..i just wish I could understand what he was saying so I could understand what the process was

9. Saxmoore says:

Is this article going to disappear in a couple of hours like yesterday’s mechanically separated meat article?

10. midwestkel says:

The voice over disturbed me…

11. E-Jungle says:

Its not as disgusting as the description would suggest…

12. goodfellow_puck says:

Mmmm! I’m surprised that there are apparently some people that don’t already know this is how “undesirable” meat and marrow becomes food. It’s edible, and many other people in the world eat these parts without the need for hiding it in fancy packaging. There’s a lot of stuff we eat that looks pretty gross beforehand.

• Big Cheese Make Hair Go Boom says:

Having spent years in the restaurant industry (especially now, as a Chef), I LOVE the ignorance amongst the general public. I think most peoples heads would explode if they were to fully comprehend the fact that the beautiful Filet Mignon with roasted potatoes, asparagus and Bearnaise sauce all together had at least 30+ peoples hands in it (from farm to plate).

Personally, I think it is an excellent use of resources. They are removing the final bits that are damn near impossible to remove by hand and are using them for sausages and the like. What is left is truly inedible. Good job on their part.

13. wrbwrx says:

that gave me a deBoner.

14. Portlandia says:

Thanks for posting the accurate photo/video. I was pretty sure that photo from yesterday’s article was bogus. It looked too viscous to be meat products, I believe as a commenter yesterday, it was bubble gum.

• dangerp says:

If you watch toward the end of the video, there is meat coming from the machine out of a tube into some vats that looks exactly like yesterday’s picture (except less viscous).

• Portlandia says:

the color in yesterday’s photo is a VIVID synthetic pink. The color in the video is far more muted. I still maintain they aren’t the same thing.

15. FreshPorcupineSalad says:

Isn’t that just chicken meat separated from the bone? What am I missing here that is super icky?

• Michaela says:

I agree. I don’t eat meat, so maybe it isn’t as gross because I am not forced to think “man! I eat this?!”

16. Laura Northrup says:

In case anyone was wondering, the company is based in the Netherlands.

17. thrillcook says:

Pet food?

18. zeiman says:

This is why I make my daughter homemade chicken nuggets. I have tried explaining to many people that commercial nuggets are litteraly made from whats left over after the breasts, wings, drumsticks, and thighs have been butchered off. This video is great, at least I won’t need to do too much explaining any more.

• Clyde Barrow says:

Gee how nice of you. I hope you have enough for therapy when your little snowflake is 20 years old when she learns of the truth. Good grief.

• Mr. Pottersquash says:

i mean youd rather all the extra meat go to waste?

used to be wed talk about Native Americans and “use every part of teh buffalo” as a guidepost for conservation and proper handling of food, now we rather through edibile meat bits away because they are tucked between ribs and sketal parts.

• CFinWV says:

Edible meat is so scary!

19. ClaudeKabobbing says:

I think i’ll eat Hot Dogs for dinner.

20. RosevilleWgn says:

The voice over is the most painful part of the video. It’s like he was reading a Google translated script!

21. dreamfish says:

“All those products have noble use. They participate directly in the process of industrialisations of sausages”

Who wouldn’t go for some industrialisationed sausages right now?

22. Zowzers says:

I want one of those in my garage.

23. Cicadymn says:

“We need to be more like the native americans! They never let a part of the animal go to waste! OMG HOW CAN YOU DO THAT?! YOU’RE USING EVERY PART OF THE ANIMAL YOU MONSTER!!!!111!!1!one!eleven!1!”

24. human_shield says:

I don’t understand the video. I had to watch it with no volume, but it appears to show chickens going into a machine and coming out as a thick paste. I would have liked to see more detail about how a full chicken becomes those perfectly shaped chicken breasts wrapped in cellophane.

• sd says:

you should have listened. The paste is what they get from the scraps after removing the breast, legs and wings. Once you get the meat removed from the scraps you can use it in sausage or possibly press them into nuggets …

25. Tvhargon says:

The guy talking reminds me of this:

http://goo.gl/Tohx (Colbert Report; skip to 2:00)

26. MikeM_inMD says:

Nothing disturbing or disgusting to me. Gut the bird, cut off the preferred parts, throw the rest into the gizmo that beats it around and separates most of the rest of the meat from the bone and cartilage. I just hope they take the bones and throw them in a giant stew pot to make stock.

27. BytheSea says:

And thus, chicken nuggets and fishsticks are born.

Sounds like they ran it through Google Translate and hired someoen to read it who doesn’t understand what he’s reading.

28. tiz says:

i watched it with the sound off. is it wrong that i was thinking “we don’t need no education, we don’t need no thought control…?”

29. FrugalFreak says:

That was ANNOYING, next time have a woman in a calm non idustrious voice explain it PLEASE.

• BeyondtheTech says:

It’s like he purposely avoided placing the accent on the correct syllable for every word he spoke.

30. daveinva says:

Opulence… I has it… with bbq sauce.

31. solipsistnation says:

It’s nice to see the backwards-talking little guy from Twin Peaks is still getting work.

Also, I am now somehow even more vegetarian.

32. brianisthegreatest says:

The part with the first looked like what you’d get in a tuna can. To me, it looked like the chicken was just bits and pieces, but the fish seems to be rather intact. Is this far from how tuna fish is put into a can/pouch?

33. ceez says:

yummy

34. LordTwinkie says:

why the hell did i watch this! i’m so hungry now.

35. SoFlaSnowMan says:

For some reason, I couldn’t help but think of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY_Yf4zz-yo