FedEx Office Now Has Free WiFi

While a FedEx Office might not be as comfy or aromatic as a Starbucks, free WiFi access is still free WiFi access. And as of today, around 1,000 of the printing-and-shipping shops (formerly known as FedEx Kinko’s) have begun offering what they claim is free and unlimited internet access from the folks at AT&T.

In a statement to Consumerist, a company rep says the free WiFi “provides busy consumers and business travelers with convenient access to the Internet in an environment conducive to working.”

FedEx is hoping that you’ll do some printing and/or shipping while you’re surfing the web, but a rep for company confirms that “customers can access the free Wi-Fi service and don’t have to pay for or buy any products or services while they’re in the store.”

According to a statement, the company expects the free WiFi to be available at all 1,600 locations nationwide.

Comments

1. jdmba says:

Thank goodness. But where are the people going to sit for hours and hours and hours?

2. Rachacha says:

I expect an announcement in the next year that Starbucks will be setting up shop in FexEx locations around the country.

3. DanKelley98 says:

But why am I going to sit in a Kinkos/Fed-Ex to surf the web? Where’s the coffee? How ’bout microbrews (beer)? Just askin’…..

4. Bativac says:

Does anybody else still call it Kinko’s?

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

I do.

• TWSS says:

I do, too. It’s an ingrained habit from spending hours upon hours in the 24-hour Kinko’s during college in the early 90s, frantically printing out papers or thesis drafts at 3am.

I’m still a loyal customer, as a small business owner. However, the only utility to the free WiFi I can think of offhand is being able to grab files off of DropBox or Google Docs to print while I’m in the store. And even that seems of limited use, considering the popularity of their print online service.

• larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

How stupid does a corporation have to be to buy a HUGELY well-known and generally well-liked brand name, then gradually eliminate all references to that name? And THEN have to put up signs that say “Kinko’s Inside”. Everybody in marketing at Fed Ex needs to be slapped upside the head.

• lukesdad says:

It’s too bad… Kinko’s was one of those great, quirky companies that people liked to work for (I worked as a contractor there in the early 90s). Now it’s just bland and the dummies at FedEx should never have changed the name. I get that they need to compete with the UPS Store, but Kinko’s did (and those store still do!) so much more than shipping. But that’s all anyone thinks of when they hear “FedEx.”

5. Destron says:

One of the locations near me is huge and has plenty of comfy places to sit for hours of work and they offer free coffee, may not be Starbucks, but free is free.

The smaller one closer to my house is in a strip mall with restaurants all around it, even one on each side, so you could always sit at the cafe next door and mooch their internet