What Annoys You Most About Your Mobile Phone?

From AT&T to Zoom Mobile, we here at Consumerist have fielded complaints from every domestic mobile carrier we can think of. Additionally, just about every company has been labeled “the worst” by scores of readers. But today, instead of picking on any one carrier, we want to get at the bigger issue of what’s bothering cellphone users in general.

It’s been well over a decade since mobile phone technology began to pop up in the hands of everyday consumers, but the same problems still seem to persist. There are the customer service reps who don’t understand your issue, the constant dropped calls or suddenly snail-like data connections, contracts that keep customers tied to a company they despise, and bills that leave some wallets bare. Then again, some people have no complaints.

Well now you can all have your say in this Consumerist poll:

Comments

1. the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

I will say this (the same way I told AT&T). It is more than shady that if a customer purchases an unsubsidized smart phone (either used or at full price) that the customer is forced into a data plan the moment they put their SIM card in it.

• Jasen says:

So far, T-Mo hasn’t tried that trick with me.

• jaya9581 says:

Ditto, we have an unlocked iPhone with no data plan on T-Mobile that we’re very happy with.

• Jeff-er-ee says:

Same here (except my wife does have a data plan for her iPhone…EDGE only, of course). T-Mo’s been exemplary in their CS, cost, and service. Signal and speed on my Android phone’s been fantastic. They supposedly do have a bit of a weak network in many areas of the country, but I’ve never had a problem, even in some of the more “backwater” areas.

• balthisar says:

Bummer. There were ways around that.

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

Still are.. Go with AT&T Prepaid.. GoPhone service charges $20 for 100Mb data which lasts a month. Keep remaining balance by adding a $5 1MB every month. I get 3G data on my unlocked smartphone for about $8 a month pro-rated. Expensive for voice/text, but I Buy Net10 refurbs for that.. Only pay about $15 a month for all my talk/text/data needs.. Just have to carry two phones to do it.

• jamar0303 says:

Plenty of dual-SIM phones on eBay, y’know. And they’re not all knockoffs.

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

Good luck getting one to work with Net10/Tracfone though given the custom programming those phones require, even with a SIM.

2. c!tizen says:

…it doesn’t instantly make me cooler when I use it.

3. KhaiJB says:

how about the fact everyone expects you to have one?

I have a “pay as you go” thats not been charged now in about 12 months. even before I slung it in the drawer, I never used it. anyone that wants me, they know where I am, or they can wait till I’m there.

call me a luddite etc.. but I actually prefer the quiet time when I’m away from my PC and it’s contact methods (email, instant messaging) to be quiet time….

• redskull says:

Yeah, my answer was going to be, “People who call it.”

I use my mobile (and only) phone twice a month at most. I need to get a Go Phone or something.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I don’t know anyone (with the exception of my elderly grandparents) who doesn’t have a cell phone. I’ve had a cell phone since I was 15. I think that’s the reason why people are so incredibly surprised when they encounter someone who doesn’t have a cell phone – they’re ubiquitous, and have been so for a while now.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I resisted for a long time, mostly because I didn’t want to get locked into one of those awful contracts. Finally I caved and got a Net10 prepaid phone. It’s a pretty bare-bones phone; the only thing I’d like is a QUERTY keyboard so I can text faster. Otherwise, I’m happy with it. If I want data, I get on the computer. I’m on it most of the time anyway.

• 6T9 says:

I’m in the same boat. I have a pay as you go that’s been in the “junk drawer” for a year now.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Will assume you have a land line. What do you do if you are on the go and get a flat tire or need to call the police or AAA? Granted in the case of accident, someone else will probably call – but its worth being safe at least.

• Michaela says:

People were able to handle those situations for ages before cell phones.

• SBR249 says:

of course they did. In fact people did a lot of things back in the day when relevant technology didn’t exist or wasn’t discovered. For instance:

1) Back when we didn’t have fire, we just ate everything raw
          2) Back when agriculture and transportation was still hand tools and a donkey, everyone had to grow their own food
          3) Back when horses was the fastest way to travel it took days to get to the next town
          4) Back when the telegraph didn’t exist, international communications took days, weeks or even months.

However that’s not the point. The point is that technology advances to fill needs and simplify/expedite things. Just because people can do things the more complicated/cumbersome/tedious way doesn’t mean it should stay that way. In the same way, if you see someone still using a telegraph to send messages across the continent, you’d say that he/she was an idiot.

• Michaela says:

Um…fire? Cell phones have been popular for little more than ten years (I know they existed in the 90s and stuff, but honestly, they really weren’t found in my area). The environment had accommodated to fit the fact that people would not have a phones easily accessible. Since the rise of cell phones, these outlets of contact have reduced, but in some areas they still exist.

Also, cell phones are not going to save you from every emergency. After a car accident, the phone may be lost or broken. If suddenly attacked by an individual, a person my not have time to even reach their phone to call authorities.

• bennilynn says:

There also used to be pay phones and police boxes everywhere. Those are pretty hard to come by these days.

• Southern says:

Keep in mind that you can use a any cell phone to call 911 without paying anything at all. Cell phones are regulated by the FCC, and FCC requirements state that ALL cell phones, regardless of status of service (or even the lack of service) must be able to dial 911. Whether you have a telephone number or not, whether you have signed up for service or not, your cell phone can connect to 911.

I don’t think that will help you if your car breaks down (unless you can legitimately tell the dispatcher that you’re in some type of danger), but in the case of an accident (say on a back road where there’s little traffic), you can pull any old cell phone & charger out of your trunk/glove compartment, plug it in, and dial 911.

• Extractor says:

I tell others not to donate their old cell phone unless they have more than 2. If your traveling, keep the old one charged and available for 911, your phone will be locked upon calling 911. Then with your regular cell make all the other necessary calls that are needed. PS if you donate your phone, make sure you have left absolutely no data or phone #’s left on it.

• trentblase says:

Do you enjoy long walks at sunset… down a quiet highway after your car breaks down? I completely understand people not wanting to be “reachable” at any moment. However, I find that these people fail to realize that cellphones can be turned on and off at will. I would rather have the option of contact in these situations… and yeah these situations may not be very likely to happen, but having a cellphone has saved my butt enough times that it’s pretty cheap insurance.

What I really hate is the whole text messaging scam. I resisted it as long as I could, knowing texts cost the provider basically nothing (consider that even the older voice technologies use data rates equivalent to 10 texts per second). I thought for sure people would wise up and refuse to text until at least the price fell below the price of an addition voice minute (which, as discussed above, costs the provider a whole lot more). But eventually, the network effects got me (once all your friends have texting plans, the convenience starts to be worth the price, regardless of inherent provider cost). So now, even though I can send an email from my iphone to my friend’s iphone for free, or call them for free (M2M minutes), AT&T still wants me to give them some pocket change to send a text? This is why I hate monopolies (legal or otherwise).

• KhaiJB says:

what? so thats what that button does. it turns it on… DOH!

erm yes I do know I can turn it off and on. thanks. but since I wasn’t using it *anyway* which I did mention…..

• The Marionette says:

The hell does your rant have to do with the article? If you’re too cheap to get a phone then don’t get one, simple as that lol. Attention whoring online won’t really budge others.

• LadyTL says:

It’s not always about being “too cheap”. Why does everyone I know have to have immediate access to me at all times? I don’t have kids and my answering machine at home works just fine.

• KhaiJB says:

no, that wasn’t a rant. that was a quiet observation. rants are more angry and pointed.

• TardCore says:

Quiet time like posting on message boards? hilarious.

4. psm321 says:

It’s too slow. And all the newer faster android phones don’t have the 6 physical buttons that I want (I have a MyTouch 3G right now)

• Jeff-er-ee says:

Root it with Universal Androot and go with CM6 (Android 2.2). You’ll swear you bought a new phone!

• abberz3589 says:

How do you do that? I’ve been trying to find that update and cannot.
        Probably doesn’t help that I’m not very tech-savvy.

• psm321 says:

I have something from the CM5 line right now (1.6-based with some newer stuff). I’m afraid of trying the Android 2 stuff in case it’s even slower. Plus there’s some things like hd video etc that the processor just can’t handle whatever the os

• psm321 says:

Thanks for the tip though!

5. trey says:

the 2 year contract! if their service was good enough they wouldnt need contracts. oh, i forgot, thats how they subsidize the phones… yeah right, sounds like bs to me

• DarthCoven says:

except it’s not BS, because what would stop you from getting a phone for $200 from the carrier and then dropping them to go with another carrier? if you don’t want a contract, prepare to pay the full $500-$600 that most smart phones go for nowadays.

• freelunch says:

I would happily pay full fair for my a telephone if the carriers would sell me a voice/data plan cheaper than the ‘subsidized’ rate plan.

• wild homes loves you but chooses darkness! says:

T-Mobile does exactly that. It’s called Even More Plus, and the service is $20 cheaper than the comparable, subsidised plan. Over the course of the contract you’re saving $480, which is nearly always more than the cost of the subsidy they’d provide on the phone, anyway. AND the phone is unlocked, and you’re free to leave whenever you want.

• jamar0303 says:

Ever been to Hong Kong? I can get a decent smartphone there for around US$300. Only really nice ones (HTC Desire, iPhone, etc) cost more. What makes the US so different?

• mikedt says:

The flaw in that thinking is that bringing your own phone to most (if not all) USA carriers doesn’t get you a discount on your monthly service. If the monthly fee/contract is truly a subsidy, shouldn’t I pay less per month after my 2 year contract is up? I don’t remember verizon offering me a rate cut.

6. CartmanPat says:

$30 a month for my husband and I to send unlimited SMS messages = ANAL RAPE

7. shepd says:

The price is way too high. $60+ a month to view a couple of websites and talk for more than an hour is something I’d expect from the 90′s, but it still persists (yeah, you yanks have it good, trust me).

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

If it were the 90s and we had data plans, it would probably cost more than $60, though.

• buzz86us says:

I voted cost because it is 2010 consumer cellphones have been out since the 80′s and the price has not gone down I was hoping at this point in the life of the technology that a decent cellphone plan would be about $20 for unlimited talk/text and $20 for true unlimited data and have 5 bars just about anywhere. Sadly that is not the case and it is 3x that and calls get dropped everywhere and we have all kinds of signal problems.
        Why the Government doesn’t investigate cellphone companies for fraud (signing up for contracts where they promise great cell coverage then getting poor service) and price-fixing is beyond me. The network has already been down for the last decade time to lower prices or work on better coverage.

• dangermike says:

Personally, I don’t partake in the whole data plan thing, and would rather receive a voice call than texting for most matters (but i recognize the convenience of texting). I found that at my usage levels, monthly service made no sense at all. I got myself onto a prepaid plan and even in my heaviest usage months, only rack up $20-$25 in usage charges. A $100 card (1000 minutes) usually last me 4-6 months. I thought it would be cool having internet access on a genuinely portable device, but can’t really justify the extra $40-$50/month it would cost.

the main thing I really like with prepaid is that I don’t get charged the $15 in fees and taxes that get applied to monthly plans Factoring that in, the break-even point between monthly and prepaid is something like 500-700 minutes/month, depending on the service, which is 2-4 times my typical usage.

8. Bohemian says:

I wish the feds would finally do something about the falsely inflated costs. Everyone knows the supposed cost of phones and things like text messages are highway robbery but nobody wants to do anything about it. Declare the whole mess a regulated public utility and get the phony pricing out of the picture.

• mac-phisto says:

for real. the industry is so anti-competitive right now – there are a handful of first-tier providers (at&t, verizon, sprint) & then second-tier providers that lease space from them (virgin mobile, tracfone, etc.). there’s no incentive to drop prices b/c there’s no new competition waiting in the wings to innovate. the cost of entry is so high, we’ll possibly never see a company rise to rival the big first-tier companies.

imo, the towers should be held in a public trust & ANYONE should be able to lease time. we’d still have private cellcos, but they would all pay an equalized rate for usage.

9. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

When my last SIM card died I was dreading having to make “that call” and actually use customer service. To my surprise, the agent gave me directions to my local AT&T store which freely handed out another one without much fuss at all.

Then again, I’m out of contract and paying $77/mo after taxes, so, it’s definitely in their interest to keep me happy.

10. TheWillow says:

other people telling me why I shouldn’t be perfectly happy with it (I am).

11. Gregory says:

What I can’t understand about cell phones in the US is that you can’t partner any phone you want to use with any service you want.

My last phone was very good, but I had to switch to one not-so-good just to get a better carrier.

If my car was like this, I suppose I’d have to only ever get gas at one brand of station. Silly.

And yet… we put up with it!

• Trae says:

It’s because we didn’t standardize on a transmission format.

Verizon and Sprint use versions of CDMA. T-Mobile uses GSM. AT&T has moved to GSM thankfully (which is why AT&T phones and T-mobile phones can be used for voice on the other company’s plan) as they used to be a TDMA carrier, but they still use a different data format than T-mobile.

The whole thing is a flippin’ mess.

• jamar0303 says:

Not quite. AT&T uses the same data format on 2G, they just have different 3G bands. T-Mobile, on the other hand, was stuck with a weird band that’s not used at all outside North America. And in countries like China there are dual CDMA/GSM phones that you can take between carriers of both network types. Funny enough, the ones sold in America are crippled so that you can’t carry them over to US-based GSM providers.

• NumberSix says:

don’t get us started…

12. TuxthePenguin says:

Cost most definitely. Its obscene that with any data plan you must also purchase text messaging as well… rip off…

13. onbehalfofthebunnies says:

3 things annoy me most about mobile phones

1) They aren’t waterproof – if they can waterpoof cameras they can figure a way to do so to my phone, or at least make it so that if you go somewhere humid it doesn’t void the “water damage” indicators

2) In the states it costs to send and recieve texts. Put it on sending and that’s it. Seriously, it’s 8million times cheaper to transmit the data from a text than a 15 second phone call, I don’t like paying for the drunk idiot who texts me 50 times in a night because it’s a wrong number.

3) Make all cellphone use illegal for people operating motor vehicles unless they’re parked. Some people can handle it, the minority who feel they need to make a phone call instead of signaling they are going to turn, or are just plain distracted enough to be dangerous, if it’s that important pull over!

14. apd09 says:

without a doubt the cost. Verizon has a great network and they constantly are adding new service areas and maintaining a quality network but at the end of the day it is a company in the business of making money and they keep raising rates to make more money.

I have full verizon package, FiOS quadbundle for home phone, internet, TV, and 2 cell phones. At 370 a month it is a bitter pill to swallow especially when the cell phones are 170 of that bill. I am considering dropping the smartphones and going back to a regular phone because the 60 a month for 2 blackberry data packages is really not worth it.

• GoPadge says:

I told AT&T to take a hike after 18 months at $165+ / month for two iPhones. We’re now on T-Mobile pay as you go spending about $25 a month. We don’t have data currently but I’m planning to talk to T-Mobile about it this weekend. Walmart’s Family Mobile on T-Mobile’s network looks fairly good, $70 / month for unlimited talk and text and 200MB of data. It’s not alot of data, but heck, we have WiFi available 90% of the time anyway.

• RxDude says:

T-Mo has unlimited text/data with 500 min talk/month for $60 with no contract (thus, no early termination) if you buy the phone outright. They split the cost of my phone (TouchPro 2) over 20 or 24 months with no finance charge. Of course, if I switch carriers, I’ll have to pay the balance of the phone.

Check into their “Even More Plus” plans.

15. Geekybiker says:

That it rings occasionaly? Seriously. Text me.

16. Big Mama Pain says:

The cost won over the network, seriously? Cost is a choice- if you don’t want to pay for a data plan, get a phone that doesn’t need one. People are way too obsessed with having a “cool” cell phone (with the exception of those who do use it for work/business), and now I can’t believe you’re all whining about how expensive they are.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

So if you use it for business, it’s okay to obsess over how cool your phone is? :) I voted for ‘cost’ but that’s because I know the charges being levied are out of proportion to the features being offered. I don’t mind paying for the features, it’s how much more I’m paying than seems reasonable that is the issue. Data and text messages do not cost the carrier nearly as much as they are charging me. Given that I’ve had my iPhone for more than a year now, I don’t think I’ll ever go back to using a dumbphone.

• Big Mama Pain says:

Haha, no, I meant that the “cool” phones actually have features that would be useful in a business/workspace-I was trying to avoid someone giving me the argument that they use their phone for work! ; )

Having tiered data plans would make so much more sense; I think the average person pays through the nose because they are subsidizing heavy users. Still, I am so surprised after the fiasco with “you’re holding it wrong” service issue uproar that people would go cost over network (maybe people would be willing to pay less for the same subpar service?)

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I have a dumb phone and a limited texting package. It would actually be cheaper (sans the price of the phone itself) for me to get a smartphone… boggles the mind.

• jesusita says:

I don’t have data or texting plans. My phone is voice only, and I still end up paying $80/month. This is the cheapest plan in my area. Granted, it’s $70 for one phone and $10 for the subsequent phone, but I still find it ridiculous that I have the lowest number of minutes allowed by the companies in my area, don’t come close to using even half of those minutes, and I’m still paying through the nose for them. My contract has been up for a while, so I’m going to a prepaid plan that I can get only the minutes I need to talk to people and nothing more.

So yeah, cost is a big issue to me with only a voice plan.

• Bunnies Attack! says:

Switched to Straighttalk about 6 months ago, its been great. $32/month (after taxes etc) for 1000 minutes, 1000 txts, 30mb of data (for the occasional photo text). Sounds like something you’d be in the market for if you’re just using a dumbphone.

• Bunnies Attack! says:

• Bunnies Attack! says:

• freelunch says:

The problem is that the costs of service is not linked to the cost of providing the service… a text message costs a fraction of the $0.40 they charge for the send/receive when you don’t pay for a package plan.
      Another problem is that there is no option for a truly cheap phone with very few minutes unless you are willing to deal with pre-pay terms & conditions.

17. Zerkaboid says:

The fact that I am required to pay for a voice plan bugs me. I can make calls over wireless internet when I’m in a wifi area, and if I really needed to make a call when not in a wifi area I’d have no problem using some of my data over Skype or Google Voice or something like that.

• wrjohnston91283 says:

I wish AT&T would allow tethering on all their data plans for no extra amount. I’m paying $15 a month for 200mb of data, it shouldn’t matter to them how I use it. I’m not out enough to justify paying $40 a month for 2gb+tethering. I’d probably only use it 3-4 times a year.

18. Hi_Hello says:

The Cost – Explain why there is a limit on the data/minutes/text and maybe I’ll accept the cost. I
    The Contract – If the company provide a good service, they wouldn’t need a contract. People will stay loyal.
    The network – I hate the fact that sometimes I don’t get any calls when I”m in my office. Or anywhere in my office building…
    Customer service – if the phone service was good, people wouldn’t need to deal with customer service.

I’ve been with my cellular one since the beginning. They became cingular. Service was still fine. I had my original phone. Didn’t give me any problem. I decided to get a new phone(ebay). The reception sucked…I figure it was the phone.

Cingular and ATT combined but still called cingular, figure it was time to upgrade. New phone felt like it was going to break… battery end up exploding… reception still suck.

ATT took over the name, got a new phone, smartphone.

This is what pissed me off. For the first month, reception was AWESOME. DATA speed was fine. I swear, on day 31, reception became weird.. data speed slower…

I’ve been with this company for over 10 years… I think… I”m old, can’t remember… I’ve been looking into verizon, sprint, and other places… I come to the conclusion that all the cell phone network suck. Too many people and they can’t handle it. So if the service is crap, I’m going to switch over to the cheapest phone company.

I’m thinking about tmoble or metropcs. I’ll probably lean toward metropcs and if the service suck, I’ll just stop using cell phone. I figure if something happens, I”ll just borrow someone’s cell phone. I just need to start remember phone numbers again.

19. A.Mercer says:

I wish I had the ability to block incoming text messages. I do not use it and I hate when I have to pay because someone wanted to send me something even though I have told them not to do it. Even though the cost is small I hate having to pay for something like that.

Also, I would love to have the ability to block unknown calls. Having a have a block list so I can block numbers I do not want to receive calls from would be great. Right now my Sprint phone does not allow that. The phone is a couple of years old so maybe the new ones can do this.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

If you have ATT, you can ask for them to block it, just dial 611.

• jesusita says:

I’m not sure if this is possible for you, but we called our company and asked them to block incoming text messages. We don’t use it and were getting texts from wrong numbers (people we didn’t know). The company put a block on all incoming messages. If you don’t text at all, it might be worth looking into.

• JayPhat says:

I have Verizon and have a blocklist that I set-up through my account on the website. I had to start doing it after the Department of Education continually called my phone looking for the old owner. Three years and over a dozen calls later saying she isn’t here, i don’t know here, no you can’t leave a message stop calling, and they still keep calling.

20. castlecraver says:

The exorbitant cost of text messaging. It costs carriers almost nothing.

My first few phones utilized the SMS services for free. This was, of course, before texting became popular and the telecoms realized they could gouge people out the nose by calling this enabled-by-default and always-on service a “feature.”

• doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

+1000
      Text messages are all but free to carriers as they are transmitted along with the ‘polling’ messages that connect the phone to the system.

• tomz17 says:

By that logic “voice calls” are also free to the carrier. They go through the towers that already exist using spectrum that has already been paid for.

Repeat after me : The cost of text messages is set by what the market will bear, not some utopian fantasy about “what it actually costs”… Americans have a lot of disposable income that they *choose* to spend on texting. We have four national cellular carriers, and none of them have fought aggressively on a-la carte text rates because “texting plans” are such an unbelievably lucrative cash cow!

• castlecraver says:

The rub comes in when text messaging is now marketed and sold as an ala-carte feature when it is not.

Repeat after me: “the market” doesn’t work when one side relies on misinforming and severely limiting the choices available to the other side.

21. UltimateOutsider says:

Even with the discount I get through my employer, I think $50/month for phones we only use once in a while is too much. Our VOIP service costs half that and once our contract’s up it will cost even less.

I also pretty much hate my phone. It’s 5 years old and takes a minute and a half to boot up. Also the camera sucks terribly. Of course we’ve got nice cameras at home, but I don’t carry them around with me. I always have my phone and I’m always seeing weird things that are camera-worthy… the crummy-looking 640×480 pics my camera takes almost aren’t worth it. I have zero desire to get a smartphone, though.

22. NightSteel says:

I think ‘Crippleware’ or similar ought to be an answer to this poll. I’m actually quite happy with my phone and service for the most part, but the fact that AT&T locks you out of side-loading apps, prevents you from uninstalling unwanted apps, places artificial limits on ringtones, disables tethering, etc etc, on a phone OS being pitched as the open alternative to the iPhone, is pretty skeevy.

• Destron says:

That’s when you root your phone and install whatever rom you want on it. Verizon is starting to do this to, but I have not had this issue with T-Mobile yet.

• NightSteel says:

I plan to, as soon as the year warranty is up. Thankfully, I’ve managed to get around all of the restrictions that *really* bother me without going that far.

I just think this is one of the worst practices of cell phone companies. Imagine what the backlash would be like if PC makers didn’t give you root/admin access to your own PCs.

• XianZomby says:

What you say. Crippleware.

When you get a phone from AT&T, it’s like buying a car and finding the dealer has put a credit card swipe on the trunk lock, the radio and the gas cap so they can charge you for the “service” of letting you have access to those things.

My Sony Ericcson phone couldn’t do crap until I flashed a manufacturer’s OS to the phone and all of the sudden it was like the phone’s asthma just went away. It did everything AT&T’s branded OS wouldn’t do. And it did those things for free. Data is data, and I shouldn’t have to pay AT&T for email service to a pop server when I already am paying for a data plan. I don’t need them to act as an intermediary so they can charge me. The phone came with software to do POP email. It could install apps that did stuff that took advantage of the data connection, like IM and Google Maps. It let me have any ringtone I wanted, no matter the length or file size. It let me set any picture I wanted. It took off all the “try it then buy it apps” that previously were undeletable. Most importantly, all of the buttons and menu options on the phone that previously took me to places where I had to buy something from AT&T, no longer took me to those places and instead behaved as the manufacturer intended them to.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

To be fair, it’s not just AT&T that likes Crippleware but the iPhone (as an example, since you’re using AT&T as an example) has no Crippleware whatsoever. There are pre-installed apps that can’t be deleted (weather, stocks, calculator, YouTube) but data services ensure your access to every app. You don’t have to pay extra for basic features like GPS or mail.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Do cell phone companies still do this? It’s one of the things that drove me crazy about Verizon when I had it years ago.

I bought an early GPS enabled phone but the GPS was disabled unless I paid a monthly subscription for Verizon’s crappy road navigator. Unless I paid this fee, I couldn’t use any GPS aspect of the phone, even those completely unrelated to Verizon’s navigator.

According to the manual, the phone also came with several games. None of these were available and I had to purchase them Verizon.

23. KTK1990 says:

The dropping calls on my ATT Microcell.

Only drops when I am connected to M-cell, works fine with a tower.

• NightSteel says:

Your microcell is plugged into your broadband connection, is it not? Perhaps you have a network issue, or your ISP sucks?

24. bben says:

Insane contracts that no one really understands. I want a simple monthly deal – I am willing to pay for my phone outright to get the phone I want.

All I want is a telephone. I don’t need all the fancy stuff they try to sell you. I have a big screen TV – why would I want to watch TV on a 2 inch screen? I have a nice computer why would I want to surf the web or mess with email on a 2 inch screen? I have a nice camera why would I want to use my cell phone with a fixed focal length to take pictures?

• RandomHookup says:

There’s a joke somewhere in your triple comments, but I’m still looking for it. I’ll let you know when I find it.

• jesirose says:

Because you can’t (or don’t, at least) take your big screen tv, computer, and camera with you everywhere?

25. bben says:

26. bben says:

27. Ilovegnomes says:

When all of a sudden your connectivity gets crummy, there is nothing wrong with your actual phone and you call customer service to find out that they updated their network so you’ll HAVE to go buy a new phone because your old one is no long compatible with their network . So now you not only have to buy a new phone but all of the new accessories for it. Grrr! And the new phones are 2x the price of your old one and made out of cheap plastic parts. I call them disposable cell phones even though they cost hundreds of dollars.

I literally ONLY make calls with my cell phone. No texting, no web surfing, no gps, etc. I just want to keep my simple phone, without all of the bells and whistles and I don’t want to have to update every few years. Call me old school but sometimes I just don’t want to be on the end on an electronic leash or to pay extra for social electronic bondage.

The last time that I bought a new phone was before the invention of pay as you go phones but that might be my next more when they decide to “upgrade” their network and kill the functionality of my phone again.

28. Jfielder says:

The constantly inflating price…. ARRG! So frustrating. The technology should be getting cheaper, not more expensive.

It’s like once a year my carrier is coming out with a new contract sceme that always ends in the customer getting less for their money.

29. Brunette Bookworm says:

I have an iphone (yeah, go ahead and laugh but’s it’s been useful) and I hate that I barely use any actual phone minutes a month yet the lowest package I can get for minutes is 450. I use maybe 30 in a month if it’s a heavy use month because I still have a home phone. If I could have just a 100 minute plan or something around $10 a month for the voice I don’t mind paying the data plan fee.

30. Blow a fuse? I can fix that... says:

Moving to Europe really improved my mobile phone experience. You buy the phone you want, and you use it on the network of your choosing. And pay 1/3 of what a crappier plan cost back in the US.

Oh, and whoever calls or texts you, pays.

The international calling rates are a complete rip-off, however.

31. wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

That to hold the current call and answer an incoming call I have to press multiple buttons and even then I can lose the first call.

32. 6T9 says:

I don’t have one.

33. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

None of the above. My G! doesn’t have a standard headphone jack. I did find a pair that will plug into the charger port though.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Oh, and my T-moble doesn’t work inside malls and on the edge of a very large major city.

34. Trick says:

By my own fault, I have made myself “available” 24/7. Everybody knows I have a cell phone and I guess that is enough reason to call me whenever for whatever. And when I don’t answer, they call even more because now I am not available so something must be wrong!

35. backinpgh says:

Contracts.

36. Scurvythepirate says:

Oh how I would love to go back to the days of $5 unlimited texting plan with Verizon. I was grandfathered in for many, many years and refused to redo my contract since I would lose it. Unfortunately I had to dump them because their phones sucked and kept breaking.

37. Macgyver says:

I HATE smartphones. I’m at the computer all day, so there’s no reason for me to have one.
    And I don’t need to be connected 24/7. There’re a waste of money.
    With a dumbphone, I can make a call without looking at the screen. You can’t do that on a smartphone.
    With a, dumbphone I can spend $100/year, with a smartphone, it would cost about $1000/year.
    I happy having my phone just be a phone and nothing else.

• Michaela says:

I don’t get how that is a complaint since they do provide “dumb” phones.
      The issue you have just seems to be consumer preference. Go enjoy a phone that suits your needs, and applaud yourself for doing so. Do complain about the fact that many of us have different needs and desires.

38. Venus Blue says:

I’m one of those happy with my phone people. I go through Cricket, so I don’t have a fancy phone, but I may upgrade now that they have smart phones. I pay like…55? bucks a month, and I have unlimited talk, data, and text. I mostly just text though, I am on the phone all day at work, I don’t talk on the phone much outside of that. But it is nice to have.

39. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Metered Data.

40. banmojo says:

cost, and I see that this category has the most people clicking it too. Seriously, Big Four, FTW?!, do you HAVE to be so damn greedy? It has been too expensive in the US since its inception, and European pricing should make the Big Four feel guilty. Oh, right, big heartless corporations don’t FEEL guilt, let alone any obligation to their clients. F***ing bastards.

41. framitz says:

My wife and I use Virgin and the total cost for both phones is $45 a month.
    She buys 200 minutes with roll over for $20 (over 1000 have rolled over so far so the available minutes is huge) and I have a smart phone that I pay $25 a month for unlimited text and data with 300 minutes. 300 minutes is more than adequate.

We own both phones outright.

My only complaint is that youtube only works to play video about 75% of the time, but that’s really not an issue since video isn’t essential.

We haven’t found any ‘plan’ that’s better for us.

42. framitz says:

My wife and I use Virgin and the total cost for both phones is $45 a month.

We own both phones outright.

We haven’t found any ‘plan’ that’s better for us.

43. momtimestwo says:

What annoys me most? That it can do too much stuff and I wish I could go back to simpler times where my phone just made and received calls.

44. ScottCh says:

1) Lousy Coverage (AT&T, southeast)
    2) Overpriced Service
    3) Phone-Carrier Lock-in (incompatible technologies)
    4) Americans are massively fleeced for text messaging

45. ash says:

I wish that I could find a cellphone with good call quality. Landline is still infinitely superior for that.

46. Dr.Wang says:

They’re too big in my pocket. Wish there was a way to have both, a small phone for simple calls and a larger device for mobile internet/gps/applications. Maybe I need an ipod touch and a tiny flip phone.

• Outrun1986 says:

It’s a great combination and probably the ideal one if you want to save money. You can text from the iPod touch too as long as you have wifi, so if you want to send a friend a text from home, go right ahead and it won’t cost you a dime. There are also apps that have very low cost phone plans (skype is $3 a month) or whistle which is free. Some places have a lot of wifi hotspots (there are a fair amount where I live), and panera, mcd’s and starbucks all have free wifi.

• jesirose says:

If you were to get an iPod touch and a flip phone, that’s taking up more space in your pocket than an iPhone, or almost ANY SMART PHONE ALONE.

47. MsFab says:

I have no complaints. I have Sprint & have been with them for 8 years in 3 different cities & I have yet to a have a problem with their service. My bill is correct every month so I dont need to call customer service, except for when I lost my phone last month & they were very helpful. I get a new phone every year & I like the selection of phones they have. And I think I pay a reasonable price for unlimited data & texting & 450 anytime mins, which I never use cause I either call during nights & weekends, or other cell phone which are free.

48. Kishi says:

My phone itself. The battery life has gotten terrible since I got it.

49. WhoLikesPie? says:

How about the cost & contract?

50. Sword_Chucks says:

The software and UI that Samsung, HTC and Motorla ruined, other than that, I love everything about my android devices

51. Nakko says:

Personally, I have an iPhone 3G, and the thing I hate most is its crappy performance. I don’t mean the AT&T network (although it’s not perfect). I mean the phone itself is crappily slow! 10 to 15 seconds, pretty dang often, just to open the messaging app, and get to a point where you can begin typing a text message. Nothing to do with how many conversations, or how many texts are in a conversation… just takes a freakin’ long time. Somehow my old Motorola dumbphone could write texts nigh-instantaneously. =P

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

That’s definitely not indicative of all the iPhone 3Gs. Mine is really fast. Clear your messages. The fact that the phone has to load all of your messages means it’s going to take a little longer, so clear your text messages and it should speed up significantly.

52. RogueWarrior65 says:

The lack of true caller ID. In lieu of that I’d love a one-touch Google search button for a phone number I don’t recognize. Hmm…maybe that’s why Apple is building a data center.

53. cheezfri says:

Lately my phone has been erasing ALL my texts, including the ones I locked.

54. RayanneGraff says:

What irritates me the most is how delicate my damn phone is. I have an HD2, and I had to order an insurance replacement last night after I messed up my screen. I was putting on a new screen protector & I was trimming the edge with a razor blade(stupid, I know, but I’ve done it before & I figured since the screen is glass it’d be fine) and I accidentally nicked the screen. Now it’s all washed out with vertical lines running through it. It still works, but it’s definitely messed up :(

Such a far cry from my old phones. I used to have contests with my friends back in the 90s to see who could throw their phone the farthest. I always won, cause I could whip my old Nokia 5120 farther than anyone & still trust that it would work fine afterwards. *sigh* I miss those days :/

55. jesirose says:

I think the poll would be more valuable if it linked the complaint to the company.

56. jesirose says:

57. LunaMakesThings says:

I’m happy with mine, so far. I used to be on a family share plan with my dad’s AT&T service, but last week I got my own phone with Metro PCS. It’s $40 a month, unlimited minutes, texting, and web, no contract, and my phone was only $70.

My boyfriend’s smart phone is cool, but I don’t need one for work and I don’t make enough money to justify getting one as a toy. My old phone was so old and outdated that I’m still kind of excited that my new one plays MP3s.

58. TheGreySpectre says:

I voted the contract because there was no option for “The phone”
    ATT customer service has been great, I get reception and fast connection speeds all over the place but I HATE my iphone. The fact that I have to use crappy software like itunes to put stuff on it and can’t download alternate programs without unlocking it is retarded.
    The iPhone misses out on so much functionality that is out there, how about arrow keys for moving around in text, or displaying info on the lock screen, or running flash? Then to get stuff on it I have to have Itunes which doesnt not accept “do not ask me again” as an answer, doesnt recognize half my music (because apparently itunes is too good for flac), has a poor interface for managing large quantities of music and as much as apple wants it to be is not a file manager.
    It’s bad when I wish I could get my windows 6.5 mobile phone back because of the crappy interface on the iphone.
    I can’t wait until my contract is over so I can get a different phone.

59. Not Given says:

For some unknown reason, I can’t vote.

Network, can you spell EDGE?

My son was here at Christmas and couldn’t access any data service at all. 16 miles away at my mom’s house he could get ‘G’

60. Outrun1986 says:

Cost, which is why I don’t have a cell phone of my own. I do have an ancient cell phone that my mom and I share so I can have something for emergencies. It is turned off 95% of the time.

The fact that everyone expects you to have one too, there should be no reason to oust me from your social circle just because I don’t want to give $100+ per month to the carriers for cell phone service. Heck that is more than half of a car lease payment in some cases (I would prefer to drive over having an expensive phone that will be obsolete in 4 months thank you). I have no problem with people who can afford to pay that much for a phone to decide that is what they want to spend their money on. But for me, its just not something I want to spend huge monthly fees for nor is it something I can comfortably afford.

61. tomz17 says:

NAGGERS

62. Kingeryck says:

I hate that I can barely get a signal and half the time my phone doesn’t ring when someone calls me or when I call my girlfriend.

63. veronykah says:

I really have no issues with T-Mobile. I use a hacked iPhone, which they were more than happy to provide me tech service on despite not even carrying the phone. I never drop calls, and my 1000 minutes, unlimited text & web is only $64/month. They are polite and very helpful everytime I call and don’t leave me on hold for ages.
    I’ve been out of contract for quite awhile but will have no problem going back into one to get a G2.

64. balthisar says:

I don’t have a land line, and Cingular built my network, I’m still on a legacy plan (yes, they let me keep my calling plan and just add data), and as a result I’m a perfectly happy AT&T customer.

Maybe I have one, small complaint about the phone itself: I have to go through all of the trouble to unlock it to use it with Telcel (which is not an American company and not AT&T’s competition).

65. freelunch says:

The cost is an easy one…. the only possible explanation for why my cell phone bill has not dropped in half over the last 6 years, is because the cell companies are greedy and are avoiding price competitions….. that, or they are using all my money for building out faster and faster data speeds for what should be a PHONE network.

and seriously? $.20 for a text message? that must really tax your network and cost alot of money to deliver.

66. jake.valentine says:

I used a pre-paid cell phone during a recent extended stay in Hong Kong. Normally I would never have considered it as an option here, but as it turned out, I loved it. It was much more convenient to just pay for the voice/data that I used and it was much cheaper when compared to my cell plan here in the US. The kicker?!? The speed was faster and I never found myself down to even 1 bar, let alone outside of coverage.

67. STrRedWolf says:

Related to the cost is the plans. I was lucky that I could continue my old service with a new iPhone 4. I would of been happy with a 5 gig cap with tethering with my PC’s. I never blow a 5 gig cap with my usage. 2 gig cap? Yeah, I’ve gotten scary damn close, so no, I don’t want a 2 gig cap even though my usage is under it. You want me on that plan, AT&T? Bump it to 5 gigs and I’ll be glad to share that 5 gigs with my netbook. Otherwise, I’m keeping my old plan until you offer something better for the iPhone 6.

68. humphrmi says:

I honestly don’t care about the contract, and I don’t call customer service enough to have a problem with them. I guess I’m one of the lucky ones.

But what I do *hate* is when I buy a phone, and it’s jacked up with all these inane apps that the provider pre-loaded, that you can’t unload, and they cost money *each* *month* if you want to use them.

69. thegreathal says:

I switched to prepaid, and so I’ve handily taken care of the cost and the contract. But I still hate using a weak, locked-down phone.

70. ben_marko says:

It doesn’t make toast.

That.

Is.

Just.

Wrong.

71. Darkneuro says:

I have a prepaid thing with Virgin Mobile that has cost me approximately $150 a year ever since I’ve had it. I *LOVE* my phone… My phone was released in 2004, cost me $15, it doesn’t have bells or whistles (although it does have a flashlight!), it’s never dropped a call, I’ve NEVER had an unclear call on it (and I’ve had service since 2004!). It calls and texts. That’s it. I love it and dread the day I have to replace it.

72. FrankReality says:

I have Verizon and I’ve never had a problem with them, the phone or billing.

Mine does what I need it to do and for reasonable cost.

My only problem is coverage – I have great coverage everywhere I go except in my office area at work. It’s the ultimate dead-zone.

73. Gregory says:

I would *love* to have a flashlight in my phone.

74. gman863 says:

Forbid cell phone companies from adding any fees other than state sales tax. The rate advertised should equal the amount paid with no bullshit fine print or mandatory extra fees

75. alana0j says:

I’ve stuck to newegg for my phones for a while now, I currently have the Nokia c6-00 (I’m stuck on Nokia smartphones, I think they’re amazing) and since it came factory unlocked I can pop in my AT&T sim and stay on my $10 data plan while enjoying 3.5G data as well as wi-fi access, free turn by turn navigation..just to name a few awesome features.

What DON’T I like about it?

Honestly I can’t think of anything.

76. parv says:

O’ Consumerist, add “crippled phones” as a choice please.

Lack of GSM network coverage in far flung areas, and providers’ habit of crippling the phones are most annoying thing for me as a Tracfone user.

• parv says:

Correction: “Lack of GSM network coverage in far flung areas and crippled phones are the annoying things (as a Tracfone, thus AT&T network, user)”.

• BlazerUnit says:

They ‘cripple’ Tracfones so that they can’t be bought up cheap, unlocked, and resold–as phone traffickers once did. Really though, you have too many choices to choose from for prepaid service to complain about one brand selling locked-up phones–all of the carriers do it, even with contract phones.

Besides, you have both alternatives on the CDMA, GSM sides to use feature phones from Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint (Page Plus, O2 Wireless, Simple Mobile, PlatinumTel come to mind). Hell, even Boost Mobile will let you activate old Nextel phones–so there’s some iDen spectrum for you to use. There’s always alternatives, even in the boonies.

77. Extractor says:

TracFone 1225 minutes left with1016 days of service remaining. Paid $200 for 3000 minutes in December ’09. I blew up my clamshell in June when I reversed polarity on a charger and spent a whopping $30 on a new slider. CS helped me activate and transfer the minutes without a problem. I do prefer the clamshell over the slider and am considering another for $30. Just make sure that the phone comes with double minutes for life. The phone does not work in Canada and if I need to be contacted call the wife’s Blakberry ( which she got on her own and has a horrible contract). Can anyone explain why the contract phones are so much more expensive when the specs are similar to the TracFones?

78. ThatsWhatSheSaid says:

what annoys me the most is how i cannot upgrade my phone whenever i want to! i have verizon you have to wait every year or 2 to get a new phone for the new phone pricing other wise the gold standard for outright purchase always seems to be over 500. WTF do you care how much i change phones, why restrict me, no one even if your desperate will pay 500 for a phone when they can go on ebay and get one…..you should be happy if i wanted to change my phone twice a year, due to new technology, more money in your pocket…yes i know i can go off ebay, but not to fond of buying cell phones off of them

79. Me - now with more humidity says:

Dropped calls… no question. We can send hi-res jpgs from Mars, but I can’t drive through an intersection by my kids’ school without losing the call.

80. MyTQuinn says:

Silly me. Based on the title of the article, I thought this poll might actually be about THE PHONE. But no, it’s still the same old questions about the carrier, their policies and infrastructure.

81. zentec says:

The fact that it is very very difficult to separate the purchase of a handset from the carrier or its authorized agents.

If handset manufacturers could put them in Target and Walmart stores, the prices wouldn’t be so high. But having one narrow channel allows the networks to tightly control their customers through contracts earned with subsidies, and the handset manufacturers get unrealistic retail pricing for their products.

Then, when you’re out of contract, does the subsidized portion drop from your monthly bill? How about when you bring your own device? Nope.

All if it is to disguise the true cost of service by the carriers and avoid having to compete on price.

82. Sakura77 says:

Because I don’t want to pay for a plan, I have a Tracphone. The thing I hate is that it seems like recently every time I go to send a pic from my phone to my email, it fails. I can have full bars of service, it deducts units of time from my phone to begin the transmission, then I get a “Message Fail-Resend from Outbox” error. They are essentially sucking minutes off my phone for no service. Worst part is, I emailed Tracphone about the problem and my growing frustration/annoyance. What did I get? An email reply giving me instructions on how to send messages/pics from my phone. DUH. I emailed back stating that that was not the issue in question. I get back another email reply – giving me instructions on how to send messages/pics from my phone.

They can have their phone back. In the little pieces that it is going to end up in after I take a sledgehammer to it.

83. Sian says:

What annoys me most about my mobile phone is the phone itself and my carrier(virgin mobile) doesn’t offer a viable alternative.

This is not on your list. ;)

84. Slave For Turtles says:

The network. I’ve already got the phone, so I figure I’m paying for service. Fickle networks (“why did I just lose all my bars?”), dropped calls, terrible (and fickle) lag on data — what am I paying for again? Not reliability apparently. AT&T, I’m talking to you. :-(

85. balderdashed says:

You left one obvious possibility out of the poll — the phone itself! There are some great phones out there, and some abominable ones. I own an abominable one.

86. smallanna says:

I hate having to pay way toooooo much for something that is a basic neccessity of everyday life in the 21st century! Argh!

87. PanCake BuTT says:

I’ve been super happy with my Sprint plan & phone for the last 4+ years or so. I pay about $26 with taxes, unlimited internet, text & 500 mins, which I never run up on. There a few minor set backs, but for what it’s worth I could not be any happier.

88. cornstalker says:

You should have, “Network-specific mobile phones” on the list. I hate owning a piece of hardware that’s locked into one and only one specific network, and I really hate not having any choice in the matter. The hardware and the network should be completely separated.

89. cornstalker says:

90. Lollerface says:

Specific places where I consistently have no signal. And I’m not talking about a town, I know specific 100 foot sections of road where signal always drops and returns seconds later.

91. smallanna says:

I was paying $89 a month with verizon, and the mom wasn’t very happy paying that phone bill while I was in school. So, I looked around and actually found one for about half the price with Diverse Mobility. I get unlimited everything for like $45. Which is pretty awesome, because I live on my phone!! :)

92. Clyde Barrow says:

My cell phone is fine. I have a pre-paid T-Mobile Razr and it costs me about $100 every six months. Reception and clarity of calls are great and texting never fails. I don’t need to get online and check emails or the weather because I have a computer at home to do this.

93. yzerman says:

Data plans are over expensive with few options unless your a att customer. Also this 200 or 2gig is crap.. if your going to offer tiering the do it realistically.

more like 500meg = $15, 1gig = $20, 2gig = $30.

Same with Text messaging..

Customers like intelligently designed choices! Not this little bit or everything choice you give us!

94. Mphone says:

I must be crazy. I am happy with my plan and AT&T. I’m not going to be an apologist for them but I’ve been with them since 2001 and have never had an issue. They even helped me out on a few bills when I have been unemployed.

I use an iPhone and use it a lot. So the nearly $100 a month I spend is worth it, to me.

95. vastrightwing says:

The cost.

96. Rick says:

I would like to vote 2 more times, the cost of the plan and the contract. I really hope that Google does enable VoIP in their app called Google Voice. Then all you need is a data plan and have unlimited voice minutes, text messages and data.

97. wild homes loves you but chooses darkness! says:

I guess the only thing that irks me is that we still itemise texts, voice, and data charges. I don’t even mind tiered plans, but it’s all data, transmitted in precisely the same fashion. We don’t use any analog networks anymore, so why do I need a plan for data, and then a plan for data, and then a plan for data? It’s just a machine to nickel-and-dime people. I’ll pay for what I use, but if I never even begin to approach my “minutes” each month, why can’t I just have that count against my allocated data plan?

98. JostatJTF says:

I used to hate the wireless industry. I was with AT&T for 7 years and I could no longer deal with the dropped calls. Switched to sprint in Jan. 2010, and I no longer have dropped calls, and pay $45 less per month for MORE features!

99. Rena says:

Ehm, where’s the “crappy software” option? My phone was programmed by monkeys on crack. It has to be the worst software I’ve ever seen. It doesn’t do very many things, but it manages to do everything it does wrong. Fails to ring, fails to send messages, fails to receive messages, fails to save photos, fails to save videos, fails to play music, crashes often. It has infuriated me for two years and I intend to play baseball with it when I finally replace it on Saturday.

100. takingbackamerica says:

Can I say all of it?

The price for what you get is ridiculous. It’s possible to pay as much for internet services on a phone as it is on the computer, yet you can do substantially less considering the speed of the network, the size of the screen involved, and the sites you can visit. Mobile versions of sites remove many of the features. Many sites load improperly or not at all. And even if they do, you can’t see them (I have a BlackBerry).

The fact that I’m forced to sign a contract to obtain your services. Even if my needs change, I don’t have a job, I still have to pay you whether I like it or not, whether I use it or not.

The fact that the reception is quite poor in many areas, and there is no incentive for any of these companies to improve.

If I need to change some thing, I’m forced to renew my contract. When I got my Blackberry in June of 2009, I took a job where I was forced to call people with my personal phone on a regular basis, be in constant contact with people around the state, and respond to e-mails and messages instantly. When I first changed it to unlimited minutes, they could do it in an instant. When I changed back to a much cheaper 1000 minute plan, I had to agree to another 2-year contract, starting over at that date. Bullshit much?

Look at how they all have the same prices. There’s no incentive for any of them to offer any services for less money. To say that there’s no collusion in the wireless industry or price fixing would be beyond naive. When one raises costs, they all do because you as a consumer have no choice. You’re stuck paying their fees.

Whenever this contract ends (December 2011), I think I’m just not paying for a cellphone anymore. I hardly use it all anymore since I left that job, no one calls me anyway, and all the bells and whistles that amused me before don’t really now. Add in the ridiculousness of the state of MD requiring me to buy a headset to use my phone in the car (effective 10/1). I’d rather have the money in my pocket. It’s tempting sometimes to go pay the ETF and just be done with it, at least it was before they raised that racket to $350.

101. NumberSix says:

My biggest problem is that I can’t hear it (or feel it) ring 75% of the time.