Here It Is: The Farthest You Can Get From A McDonald's In The Lower 48 States

Earlier this month, we reported how the GPS-friendly people of DataPointed.net had located the spot in the lower 48 states farthest away from a McDonald’s. Not content to merely pinpoint the location on a map, the site’s Stephen Von Worley decided to trek out to the distant site in northwest Nevada.

Von Worley details the entire adventure, from loading up on enough McDonald’s to feed a soccer team, to camping at Catnip Reservoir to his final bike ride out to the “McFarthest Spot” over at Data Pointed, but we thought it was worth sharing the video of his last few hundred feet of trekking. It’s enough to make you hunger for the great outdoors… and then regret that you are 115 miles from the nearest McDonald’s.

A Visit To The McFarthest Spot [DataPointed.net]

Comments

1. Grogey says:

I wouldn’t mind being115 miles away form a Mcd’s, it always makes my stomach sour.

• Rachacha says:

Normally I can take or leave McD, but after my stomach is upset, it is usually the first thing that I crave when I am on my way to feeling better. Wish I knew what it was that causes my body to crave McD after vomiting.

• veritybrown says:

You could be 115 *inches* from a McD, but no one can *force* you to eat there. The automatic-hatred-index on this site is what sometimes makes my stomach sour. Don’t people have better things to do with their energy (and that includes Von Worley)????

• GrammatonCleric says:

Makes me sick everytime i eat there unless I have just apple pies or fries.

• George4478 says:

Then I’d recommend not eating there, no matter the distance.

• dangerp says:

That’s amazing. Usually I have to eat the stuff for my stomach to get sour.

• MikeM_inMD says:

One mile or 115 miles, I would eat there as often — almost never. Chik-fil-A on the other hand ….

2. diasdiem says:

If you walk that far, you’ll have burned off enough calories to make up for the meal you eat there.

3. Tarceinus says:

I really expected to see John Marston ride across the screen at some point.

4. StevePierce says:

I kept looking for the McDonalds wrapper or cup.

5. Coupon says:

I would be craving their sweet tea hardcore if I was there!

• Cicadymn says:

I haven’t had a good sweet tea from Mcdonalds in ages. They used to be amazing. Now it tastes like a literal cup of sugar with just enough water to make it drinkable.

• Megladon says:

hell with the amount of ice they put in the cups you could drive there, take a nap, go on a 3 day hike, get back and it’ll still be cold. 32oz cup = 30oz ice, 2oz drink.

• MikeM_inMD says:

You can make that at home.

6. Engine-B says:

That video gets my vote for least exciting YouTube video, although the article was entertaining.

7. Holybalheadedchrist! says:

The hing they don’t tell you–there’s a Burger King, like, just over the hill.

8. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

I call shenanigans. McDonalds clearly sponsored Von Worley’s venture so that he could scout the land so they could plan the next grand opening.

9. jdmba says:

Meh … who cares about McD’s … I would be worried if I was too far from a Burger King though … MMMMmmmm flame broiling!!!

10. the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

Still not far enough.

11. Tim says:

Wow, someone’s got too much time on his hands.

Now McDonald’s should make it a point to open up a restaurant 114 miles from that spot, so that, at the very least, the new McFurthest spot is a half-mile away.

12. Blueskylaw says:

I smell a moneymaking franchise opportunity. $$$$

13. FrugalFreak says:

The mute button exist for a reason

14. H3ion says:

I’d be curious to know what Stephen Von Worley tells people he does for a living, and what Datapoint.net uses as his job description.

15. sgtyukon says:

Not only is he 115 miles from the nearest McDonalds, he’s pretty damned far from the nearest wind filter that woudl fit his micropohone too.

16. nakkypoo says:

McDonald’s closed all shops in Iceland. Why not just go there? Better weather, better scenery and best of all, not a McDonald’s in sight!

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

…and the worst financial collapse the world has ever seen – hence, the fact that no one can even afford to eat at McD’s anymore.

17. Stevnjessie1 says:

Future site of a new McDonald’s. Billions and Billions Served Daily.

18. SmileyKnight says:

How far was he from the nearest cell phone tower? Forget McDonalds, this looks like a terrible place for a car to break down at or have any need for any type of serious medical help if something bad happens (rattlesnake bite, heart condition, etc.). The video was boring, could have been more creative.

19. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

I blew an engine in the middle of Nevada once, I would have loved to have a McD at that point. It all pretty much looks about the same but the location was around here:

• UnbelieverDjak says:

I’ve driven that stretch of highway so many times, I could just about tell you where that was by looking at it. Battle Mountain’s a horrible place to break down. Even if you get to town, you’re still in a place that earns its initials. Second only to breaking down on the Lovelock side of the 40 Mile Desert.

And yeah, I know places in Nevada that are practically a stone’s throw away from a McDonald’s that look just like this spot. Fernley, Lovelock, even Elko would work.

Damn I miss home. Stupid east coast.

20. Captain Walker says:

I nominate this video for “Video you should watch if you want to get motion sick”.

Would have been much better if he had limited it to the last 23 seconds, instead of the last 3 minutes and 23 seconds.

Meanwhile, those are SO not the shoes to be wearing if you’re treking in that kind of landscape.

21. donovanr says:

I would suspect that a happy flush would wash over your body as you passed through the correct spot.

22. Vandil says:

Monopoly starts tomorrow! Time to buy high calorie, high-fat, high-sodium food for a chance to win!

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

And now it’s a 1 in 6 chance of winning! Yeah, I caught an ad for said McMonopoly promo watching the Patriots doing some ass-whomping on the Fish.

23. MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

Yeah, but there’s a Walmart just beyond that.

24. booboobear says:

115 miles, that’s it? Out there you can be that far from a glass of water.