Buy Something At Borders, Get Free DirecTV Ad

DirecTV ads are everywhere — on TV in your mailbox, on flyers stuck on doors and in glossy Sunday newspaper ads — so it’s only natural that David found one along with his Borders receipt.

He writes:

I was at Borders Books this afternoon and purchased a few books. At the register, the clerk very carefully placed my receipt in the cover of one of the books before bagging my purchase.

When I got home I went to take out the receipt and noticed the attached ad for DirectTV in the book as well. It was a separate slip, not attached to the actual receipt but the codes on the bottom match my sale, which means it printed along with my receipt. I’ve never seen a receipt ad like this. Have you?

The separate print-out thing seems wasteful. As if the book industry doesn’t contribute enough to the slaughter of trees already.

Comments

1. MDSasquatch says:

If you have any sort of weather where you live, satellite TV can be very frustrating

• shepd says:

If you use a small dish, satellite TV can be very frustrating. In the case of DirecTV, if you invest in, say, a 6″ larger dish, weather will never be a problem when it is pointed properly, except maybe for an hour or two a year–which is about how long my cable TV goes out, and less than my power goes out (which usually coincidences with the weather being bad, of course).

This is coming from someone in Canada who regularly gets snow.

The frustration, unfortunately, comes from people being cheap, and therefore DirecTV being cheap and giving people the smallest possible dish that just barely works (A 19″ with multiple LNBs–total, absolute crap for that signal level!)

BTW: Most of your TV comes from satellite broadcasts (including cable, of course) so, yes, satellite TV is extremely reliable when you get the right stuff.

• Scurvythepirate says:

I disagree with you. I switched to satellite after getting fed up with cable. My HD channels were constantly dropping and pixellated to the point where I would go a week without it. Other times everything was fine.

I live in the Buffalo area and we like our weather changes, and so far I have had my satellite TV loose signal maybe 5 or 6 times but it has never been more that a minute or two.

I will gladly take loosing signal a few times a year over loosing blocks of HD channels for days at a time. Plus it ends up being around $30 a month cheaper and I have more channels plus HBO.

2. Rachacha says:

Hmm, A television service provider marketing to people who read books. Way to go after your core audience DirectTV.

Yes, I know that people who read books watch TV and people who watch TV read books, but I find that people who are avid readers tend to watch less TV and are therefore more likely to not have or want Cable/satellite TV, so why advertise 250 channels to a demographic that likely watches only an occasional TV show at best.

• DanRydell says:

Borders also sells DVDs and CDs. It seems they don’t know their audience of audiovisual entertainment abstainers either.

• Rommel says:

Many of those CDs and DVDs are audio books, even if they are for manuals. Besides, you don’t need cable/satellite to watch something on the DVD player, or a CD on the computer.

3. Nidoking says:

They’ve been putting those ads in the bags for years at the Borders near me. It’s an odd week when I don’t get at least one. Sometimes, they also throw in a “get 15% off one item if you take this survey” that seems stupid because I get a coupon for twice that much off almost every week in my E-mail.

4. Leela says:

“the slaughter of trees”. Ugh… Trees are grown as a crop, to make paper. Just like corn is grown to make delicious Cheetos. We don’t whine about the slaughter of corn now do we?

• deejmer says:

good point…..

SAVE THE CORN!!!!

• Hoss says:

I’d be surprised if all bookstock wasn’t last week’s NY Times and junk mail. Cheetos are probably recycled packing peanuts

• thiazzi says:

I’d be willing to bet the receipt was printed on recycled paper, too.

If this is a post about not liking being advertised to in a specific way, say that. If it’s about being wasteful, say that. I can’t figure out what the focus of this post is.

• jason in boston says:

Just look who wrote the story – not exactly the brightest bulb on the Consumerist staff.

• ElizabethD says:

That’s just rude.

• jason in boston says:

When Phil’s on, he is great. These past few months have been not so good. Even with the sarcasm with the trees (I think it needed to be a little more sarcastic so that people don’t think Phil was serious), he has made more errors in stories than most.

5. sheldonmoon69 says:

Printing out offers and coupons after your purchase? My grocery store has been doing this for years. They aren’t sneaky or secretive about it, they just hand them to me after the receipt prints out.

• Rachacha says:

Yes, but at least with the grocery store they are often targeted based on what you purchase. Lets say that you went to the grocery store and purchased a can of Campbells soup, a package of Pampers Diapers, a bottle of Advil pain relief, and a package of tampons. You would likely get triggered coupons for: Progresso Soup (to try a competing brand), Pampers Baby Wipes (You need someting to clean the baby’s butt with), Advil PM (A new sister product from the same manufacturer that may offer features you want) and a heating pad with instructions or tips to releive menstral cramps.

What Boarders appears to be doing would be the equivelent to going to the grocery store purchasing shaving cream, men’s razors, after shave, Old Spice deoderant, and Just for Men Hair coloring and getting a coupon for Covergirl Mascara. While it is possible that a female is purchasing all of these male personal care products, it is extremely unlikely, so a coupon for mascara will likely be ignored.

6. Macgyver says:

And his point is?

Stores been doing this for years.

7. zigziggityzoo says:

Have you looked at the back of your grocery store receipt lately? Lots of the ones around here have advertisements for all the local quick-oil changes, window repair shops, insurance agents, and more.

Oh, and the grocery store usually has separate print-outs for lots of things from their color printers, too, including credit card offers, manufacturers coupons, ads for their pharmacy, and more.

Non-news.

• JulesNoctambule says:

Well, thank god you’re here to decide for everyone else what does and doesn’t make for a post-worthy story!

8. anime_runs_my_life says:

This has been going on for quite a while, at least a year or more at our Borders stores. As someone else said, this has been going on for years. Before it was free game downloads at Big Fish Games if you were a rewards member (for one of the Mahjong or mystery games I think). Sometimes it was an invitation to apply for their credit card (before Chase and Borders severed their agreement).

Unless the clerk starts pushing it, it’s not that big a deal.

9. davidsco says:

Kmart has begun doing the same thing

10. CookiePuss says:

If you have any sort of pulse, DirecTV can be very frustrating.

11. lalaland13 says:

I’d rather get this than have the clerks at Books-a-Million try and get me to take 8 “free” issues of Sports Illustrated, Time or Entertainment Weekly pretty much every time I buy something there. That gets aggravating. Some of them don’t ask, but I think they’re required, just like they’re required to ask me to get a Books-a-Million card and stuff (I used to have one, but decided not to renew).

Bookstores are going to try to get you to buy other stuff somehow. Receipts are less annoying than other methods.

12. Dustbunny says:

Yay, a DirectTV post so I can tell my DirectTV story! I work for an energy company that uses them for tv service for traders & grid operators — they keep the sets tuned to CNN & The Weather Channel 24/7 — anyhoo, we have business accounts, but unlike cable tv, those don’t come with better payment terms or customer service. DirectTV gives us 19 days to pay but takes as long as 22 days to deposit our checks. And they cut service off immediately when they don’t get paid by the due date. Then I have to run the gauntlet of the worst, most clueless CSRs ever. I hate DirectTV with the blazing fury of 1,000 suns. That is all.

13. CountryJustice says:

Mailboxes have TV’s in them now? I OFFICIALLY LIVE IN THE FUTURE!

14. FrugalFreak says:

I see ADs everywhere, Store reciepts, ATM reciepts, Catalina, Newspaper post it’s, in statements from Cable,Bank. I think they are using Ads to fund the receipts.

15. Hungry Dog says:

I don’t understand why Direct TV wants me to throw their ads away every where I go.

16. TampaShooters says:

I went to the Cheesecake Factory last night for dinner, and after looking through their 23 page menu, I felt like I just got done watching TV. There were ads for Carnival Cruise Lines, Pepsi Zero, Build-A-Bear, etc…