Best Buy Field Agent Scopes Me In Parking Lot

Shannon said Best Buy, apparently suspecting her of shoplifting without wanting to confront her, sent out an employee to hide in the trees and report her actions into his headset as she entered her car.

She writes:

It is very strange. I went to Best Buy in [redacted], Ohio. I needed a replacement battery for my camera. They didn’t have the one I need. I browsed the store and left without buying anything. On my way out of the parking lot I noticed a kid wearing a Best Buy polo standing in the trees watching my car/talking into a headset.

I’ve seen Best Buy employees at this location do this before: stand in the parking lot and announce a license plate into a headset. I thought maybe they were doing it because the person in question actually stole something, I didn’t realize this is what they do to every person that buys nothing. It is very creepy. I can only assume that they went back and reviewed security camera footage to see what I stole. Must’ve been a real boner killer when they found out I stole nothing.

This explains why I just never felt comfortable shopping in Best Buy, they see their customers as adversaries, and anyone merely browsing is most likely playing games and deserves to have her license plate recorded. It’s not the end of the world or anything, but I wanted to send it in as a “tip” just in case anyone else had problems arise because they didn’t buy anything from Best Buy.

Bonus points to Shannon for her use of “boner killer.” Have you ever noticed Best Buy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare unit pulling this move on you?

Comments

1. ssm316 says:

I would like to know which one this is so I don’t shop there

• IphtashuFitz says:

Why not play it safe and avoid Best Buy altogether? I avoid them like the plague.

• Leksi Wit says:

Good Call!

I prefer online shopping so I can price compare from the comfort of my desk at places like NewEgg.com or even using my Amazon Prime account. It saves you the hassle of going into a store looking for a specific kind of battery, then finding out they don’t carry it. That’s a total time waste.

• Doncosmic says:

A hhgreg recently opened near me in the same location where circuit city used to be, now even if I don’t have time to buy something online, I have no reason to go to Best Buy.

• Bativac says:

HH Gregg isn’t much better, given that their employees are prone to follow you around, shadow-like, until you agree to purchase something large and expensive. At least Best Buy leaves me alone to purchase the item I came in there for. From there it’s just a matter of refusing all the other stuff they try to sell me.

• Difdi says:

On the other hand, just TRY finding a Best Buy employee to help you when you actually need it…

• jiubreyn says:

Seriously. I went into Best Buy to get a desk and a tv mount. The employees were standing around talking to each other or would walk by without saying anything even if they noticed that I needed help.

I had to literally walk across the store to find someone who would actually help me. Best Buy is now off of my list of places to shop – in light of this article in addition to my previous experience(s).

• stranger than fiction says:

Apparently they’re all outside, stalking frustrated shoppers who didn’t find what they came for.

• zlionsfan says:

ironically, the last time I went to an HH Gregg, I was there specifically to purchase something expensive, yet none of the employees paid any attention to me at all. (I suspect they had pegged me incorrectly as someone who could not afford their products.)

I’d actually want to know which store this is. I wouldn’t particularly want to find myself accused of something I didn’t do, hoping that the truth will come to light before it’s too late. I think some people seem pretty confident that it would work out in the end, but I don’t feel that way.

• Griking says:

I really couldn’t care less. Actually, that’s not really the truth. Actually I would think is was hysterical if they wasted labor hours having someone follow me around and watch me. I’d be sure to make 3-4 trips to the rest room. Pick up a few products and carry them around for a while only to put them back on the shelf a bit later. I’d probably have a ball.

• OnePumpChump says:

Does it matter? Why are you shopping at Best Buy at all? There’s never been a more inaccurate name for a store.

2. g051051 says:

I rarely buy anything when I go to Best Buy, and haven’t noticed any sort of surveillance.

3. woogychuck says:

There is a Best Buy in the mall near my house. It’s adjacent to the food court and there is almost always a guy “on break” at a table near the edge of the food court. We’ve seen people sit there with headset on and no food for over an hour.

• mindshadow says:

Solution: Sit at the table with them and make awkward/slightly creepy conversation. Make it an entertaining past time to see how long they continue this practice. :)

• Derp says:

Yeah, because no one would sit at a food court table without food and NOT be on break….

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

What retail establishment have YOU worked at that allows 1-hour breaks?

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

They’re afraid that if they put the headset down on the table they’ll lose it.

• kc2idf says:

I would find out what frequency their headsets are on.

If legal (FRS, eXRS, MURS, part15, etc), then I would then mess with them by talking to them over the headsets.

If not, (e.g. they have a licensed frequency) then I would mess with them instead by giving them a clear signal that I know what they’ve been saying over the headsets.

Then again, I’m just like that. Many of us hams are.

• Difdi says:

Maybe use this to locate a store employee when you need help with something, but they’ve all mysteriously vanished?

• strayxray says:

We once went to Best Buy to purchase those little radio walkie-talkies for work. We wanted to be able to communicate with technicians as they wandered the building on service calls.

After purchasing them, we opened them in the car to make they worked. Yes, they worked just fine, but they were on the same frequency as the Best Buy headsets.

The Best Buy employees started asking who was talking on the radio, and we said that we just bought walkie-talkies and were testing them in the parking lot.

The Best Buy employee then told all the employees to “change your radio channel to the last digit of the store number”. Naturally I looked at the receipt that had “Store Number 327″ printed at the top. We quickly radioed back to them, “Yes, change to channel 7.”

We then hit the road to get back to work.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Oh noes, they broke our secret code!!!11!!one!

• Clumber says:

I wish i could promo you to a star, my good sir or madam. That’s some grade-A hilarious. Now I want to go sit in the best buy parking lot and surveil the surveilors… mwahahahaha…..

4. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Next time that happens, turn around and start taking pictures of the BBY guy in the trees and call someone on your cell phone and start talking to them.

• theycallmeGinger says:

Yes, this! For some reason, this would have been my knee-jerk reaction. Not that it would have done anything, really, but at least they’d be feeling as violated as you were.

• rushevents says:

Oh yeah. That would make them REAL scared.

Oh wait… no it wouldn’t.

• Gruppa says:

You’re right, it wouldn’t make them scared because they are only doing their job. Who said it would? Oh that’s right, you did.

• dangermike says:

I’m not normally one to yell RTFA, but come on… second sentence…

“I needed a replacement battery for my camera. “

=p

• bravohotel01 says:

You need to come back after they close and film them going to their cars.

• Difdi says:

I’ve been the target of aggressive photography intended to intimidate me in the past. For some reason, the people who do that sort of thing tend to absolutely freak out if you do it back.

5. Urgleglurk says:

Sounds a lot like MallWart. I have a real problem shopping anywhere that the employees think that all their customers are shoplifters.

I can easily take my business (and $$$) elsewhere…and I do.

6. GC says:

Maybe they thought that you stole something.

Also, why d[comment redacted]

7. Thassodar says:

Should have shopped at Buy More. You wouldn’t have SEEN them watching you then…

8. kylere1 says:

Could just be some dude goofing off, it is not like Best Buy employees have any skills or are being paid well. I expect them to goof off when they can.

9. chaesar says:

haha, boner killer

10. Alan_Schezar says:

Next time, take a video of the employee in the trees. Videos provide better headlines than pictures, not to mention provide better proof.

I would be interested in seeing what happens if you then take that video into Best Buy and ask what this guy was doing, under the guise of ‘just wanting to make sure he’s not a peeper’, just as Best Buy does it under the guise of preventing shoplifting. See what they say!

• tooluser says:

Yes, he and his friends could be stalking people who make large purchases, in order to rob them later. Might even have a friend at the DMV who gets addresses from license plates. Or perhaps they only are only stalking women — even scarier.

Or perhaps he just practices his surveillance skills by calling in license plates of random customers, so that when a real shoplifter comes in he will get it right the first time. After all, if you haven’t done anything wrong you have nothing to fear, right?

• LastError says:

You sometimes don’t need “a friend at the DMV” to get somebody’s address. This varies by state.

In my state, you only need 50 cents. Tell them the tag you want, pay the fee, and get a report on the tag. No questions asked. Do it as much as you wish. 50 cents each.

Some nut cuts you off in traffic? Some hottie in the convertible catches your eye? Spot a fancy car? No problem.

Why? How? The license plate record is considered public information and there is no privacy or prohibition on handing it out. The fee covers the labor they have to spend to look it up and print it. It varies by state, though.

• Tomas says:

Show ‘em the video and tell them your witness protection team will be by later to question everyone involved in the surveillance… :o)

11. sqeelar says:

He coulda been on the lookout for the cops, while his buddies were scoring some dope. You don’t think he and his cohorts would work there unaided by pharmaceuticals?

Or maybe he had shoplifted the headset but wanted to throw everyone off.

12. ArizonaGeek says:

A few years ago didn’t they have a commercial that suggested people come in and browse around on their lunch break?

13. duxup says:

Weird, I’ve never had that happen at any store including a Best Buy.

As others suggested you should recording them in action.

14. SofaMonster says:

I’ve had this issue at Sephora , twice. The first time, I could here them talking on the headsets about me and they opened the containers of my purchases at the register while I was checking out. I didn’t feel comfortable returning for over a year.

• Pinklette says:

Wait, they opened the items you were buying? Like make-up? No thank you. I’d have left the store right then…

15. JohnDeere says:

sounds like a real perverted stalker. i think i would have called the cops.

16. Platypi {Redacted} says:

This sounds like a good opportunity for a flash mob scene. 30-40 people show up, wander around the store not touching or buying anything, then head out to the parking lot. Wait patiently for the stalkers in blue to burst at the cranium.

Or THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utkkXCF8ZVc

17. sjb says:

Take a page from Arlo Guthrie.
    walk right in –
    Sing – “You can get anything you want, at Alice’s restaurant.”
    walk right out -

18. Anonymously says:

What’s a “bonner”? </stewie>

19. rushevents says:

Easy for us to say how bad they are when it isn’t our stuff being stolen. When I worked there (nearly 10 years ago Ugh!) I saw the shocking lengths people would go to to steal a CD. Empty cases, empty boxes. Face it there are a LOT of Brazen thieves out there and they make everything you and I buy more expensive.

So stop being so offended. Obviously they ultimately didn’t think you did anything wrong or you would have been approached.

• dg says:

You don’t have to have your stuff stolen to opine on the stupidity of anti-shoplifting techniques. Doesn’t WorstBuy have cameras – maybe a few pan/tilt/zoom cameras that they can use instead of pervy blue shirt guys hiding in the trees?

For all she knows, the guy IS a perv, think’s she’s hot, and is re-enacting the WallyWorld Star Wars scene in the bushes…

These kinds of antics are just one more reason why I don’t shop at WorstBuy and recommend everyone just buy online – get it cheaper, and with 100% less hassle and BS…

• Crass says:

What do you think is more of a deterrent to actual shoplifters, some pan-and-zoom camera way up on the ceiling that is probably not pointing at them and may-or-may-not be actually monitored. Or some sleazy guy in a blue shirt breathing down their neck? When I worked in retail none of the non-manger types were allowed to confront shoplifter, and if we suspected one we were told to provide “above and beyond customer service” for the very purpose of freaking them out.

• sth9669 says:

Yeah, when I worked Loss Prevention at Best Buy in college (and no we NEVER did anything like this, at least while I was there) we called a “code 9″ to whatever area a suspected shoplifter was in, and that meant that any associate in the whole store who wasn’t immediately assisting a customer (or working registers, etc) would flood that area and basically just follow the person around the store asking them if they need any help and cleaning the aisle completely and not leaving them alone until they left the store.

It was very effective, since you can’t steal something if there are 8 employees in whatever aisle you’re in, and you also can’t drop off anything you’ve hidden in your bag or clothes or whatever, plus one of those associates who’s cleaning might find an empty box or whatever and we’ve got some evidence. Either way, people usually get pissed off when they’re trying to steal something and there’s always 10 people surrounding them “cleaning”.

• mandy_Reeves says:

I would get pissed and not buy anything if I had a flood of folks around me like that. If I want your dam help I will ask. It doesn’t mean I’m shoplifting, it means that I want to avoid BB associates like the plauge with their misinformation and upsells.

• dg says:

For a true professional shoplifter? Neither. Those types don’t work alone, they work in teams. While one or more members distract or otherwise occupy the pervs in the bushes, someone in the store will do something else to get the employees to swarm, and then the rest of the team is free to conduct their nefarious acts with impunity.

I’ve worked with retail LP – I’ve seen this kind of scenario occur in many stores. It’s a careful balance between pissing off the customers and preventing theft. If you want a store that’s shoplifting free, you can do it – you put everything behind the counter, people ask for what they want, you get it. But that sucks from a customer perspective, and actually reduces sales. Plus, you still have crazed and underpaid employees ripping you off.

The average shoplifter, or forgetful shopper, or forgetful cashier is picked up by the sensormatic tags. That cuts some shrinkage, and puts the average shoplifter on alert. The real crook? They bring the tools with them to remove or deactivate the tags, so they do nothing. They are adept at getting stuff out of packages without anyone noticing. All you can do against those types is to have good video of your properties that you can run analytics on, or review after the fact to see what happened. Then you can train your LP employees on how to watch for scams, AND you can set up your video systems to recognize known criminals so you can notify the police as soon as they walk in the store. But least effective? Having some $10/hr blue shirted pimply-faced nitwit hiding in a tree trying to look like he’s not there – it creeps out people who don’t steal, and who would otherwise spend money at your store, except for the fact that they’re getting the heebie jeebies from the guy in the bushes…

Retail sucks. but despite all the problems, they still manage to make money, so it can’t be all bad, and to treat all your customers as criminals is bullshit.

• Akanbe says:

What a stupid comment (not surprising coming from an idiot parroting the Worst Buy comment)

License plate >>>>>>>>>> picture of face. Better yet, get both of them and it’s much easier/faster to track down the supposed criminal (stores aren’t supposed to do this unless management is very sure that they stole something btw).

Besides, if theft wasn’t heavily on the rise since the recession hit, they wouldn’t have to use such drastic measures in the first place. People know stores like Best Buy, Fry’s, HH Gregg = expensive stuff so they go there and try to steal whatever they can.

• tooluser says:

I think what you just said is that you support all stores treating their customers like criminals. Would you like to clarify your statement?

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Why is brazen capitalized? Sigh.

• e065702 says:

Why are you picking on Brazilians?

20. SpendorTheCheap says:

You know what this sounds like. . .absolutely NOTHING you paranoid freak.

21. JohnnyP says:

I might would have confronted the person watching me.

22. craptastico says:

SWARM SWARM!!!!

23. toddkravos says:

Where is “Redacted” Ohio. Seriously, why do you guys do that.
    I live in Ohio and would like to avoid this Best Buy like the plague.
    Oh wait. I already do. But seriously, why do you blank out city info like that?

24. D0rk says:

You mean people use Best Buy for anything but playing video game demos and toying with their demo iPads? I haven’t bought anything from them in like 2 years with the exception of spending gift cards, yet I visit regularly simply for the sake of killing time while shopping.

My local BB has gotten progressively worse since the Circuit City across the street closed, no surveillance yet though. Luckily I do mostly online shopping, since there are pretty much no other options in my area for electronics.

25. tweeder82o says:

best buy = free video game playing, browsing the inventory then buying online instead

26. Bryan Price says:

Considering 9 times out of 10, I don’t buy anything coming out of Best Buy, and the fact that there really isn’t a lot of cover of bushes or trees to hide or even anything to at least not draw attention to, and I haven’t seen this at all.

27. segfault, registered cat offender says:

Why do there have to be cats?

• theycallmeGinger says:

You may THINK it’s just a harmless kitty in the trees, but that’s Best Buy’s Cat Squad®*. They’re spying on YOU and your non-purchases!

*You can avoid this and future Cat Squad® surveillances by simply purchasing one of Best Buy’s superior products every time you visit. Doing otherwise renders you un-American.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

Because every picture is better if there is a cat in it.

28. legion says:

So, if we aren’t criminals, we shouldn’t be insulted by being treated like criminals? I guess you shouldn’t be insulted when I treat you like a d-bag…

29. Mecharine says:

I bet 100 internet dollars that they don’t do this with their employees. Considering that most thefts are conducted by store employee’s, you’ll see the obstinate and downright ignorant store policy for what it is, stupid and counterproductive.

• Wombatish says:

Actually, I would go so far as to promise you they do -worse- to their employees.

Turn out your pockets and search each other’s bags before you leave, receipts have to be taped to any personal purchases and they have to be rung up by the manager, not allowed to carry cash in the store because it’s ‘too hard to account for’, rewards for turning in your fellow employees for anything and everything, you’re subject to further search of your person and vehicle at any time without notice and if you don’t like any of this good thing we’ve got that mandatory binding arbitration clause.

Just some samples of various shrink-control that I have either personally encountered of close friends have.

30. outlulz says:

Cant say I’ve ever seen this done at a Best Buy. Shouldn’t loss prevention be looking at the cameras rather than standing in a parking lot?

31. isileth says:

It once happened to me in a bookstore.
    It had two stories and the book I was looking for was at the underground level.
    I went there and after a while a noticed a woman who was apparently putting in order some other books that didn’t need it and stealing glances in my direction.
    I didn’t make a purchase, went away and remained in sight of the door for a while, until I saw the woman returning upstairs a minute or so after me.
    Needless to say, I never went to that store again.
    Their loss.

32. donovanr says:

Best Buy is the next BlockBuster (note BB). Exploit the customers until some far superior company comes along and offers an alternative; teaching Best Buy that preying on your customers comes at a price. The best part is watching these companies wrestle with their collapse.

One simple test of an electronics store’s hatred or love of their customers is if they sell things like monster cable.

• homehome says:

You say that like BB doesn’t already have competition. Unlike BB, Blockbuster never adapted to its industry which BB already has. I suggest you look at their stock numbers and their year to year revenue and net income before giving such an uninformed opinion.

Everything Blockbuster did lost then money, everything BB does gains them money.

33. pogostickfrenzy says:

Unrelated note, but one time I walked in to a Best Buy, just looking at tvs (interested in the range of 30 – 40″) for my apartment’s little living room since I’d been using a 19 incher. I actually had a specific Vizio 37″ in mind that I was gonna buy at Target, but I just wanted to see sizes and I was with a friend who wanted to go to Best BUy.
    Anyhow, employee came up and asked me what I was looking for, I said “A new tv for a small living room” while I was in that middle-size section, and the guy said “Oh, well to be 100% honest, 40″ is definitely not enough for a living room or den type of situation. That size is typically used for people’s bedrooms or bathrooms, maybe kitchen. You should be looking for at least a 52″ with 120hz and 1080p for around a 14×13 room.” In those words, and then proceeded to direct me to the $3000 units. I smirked, but nodded and said “I see.”. I said “Well, of course, but I’m looking for an additional monitor to supplement my existing 56″ Samsungâ„¢ in the living room.”

34. ldavis480 says:

You know I’m getting really sick of the Consumerist redacting identifying pieces of information in articles. It annoys me because I love this website but it really makes the point of using this website almost obsolete in my opinion. It’s kind of hard to avoid doing business in [redacted].

35. proscriptus says:

As creepy as that is–and it is damn creepy–it’s not only legal but a better alternative than bracing you at the door with no evidence in hand, a la Wal-Mart.

36. Chip Skylark of Space says:

Instead of the creepy guy in the shrubbery (not all locations are amenable to shrubby in the first place), they could which corporate memes. I’m thinking a watch tower, like one a forest fire observer (or a Nazi Stalag guard) would use would be great, over looking the parking lot. Maybe a little barbed wire around the perimeter to keep the shopping carts in check at the same time.

• oldwiz65 says:

Don’t forget the sniper rifle to stop shoplifters from leaving the parking lot. Once they get out they are likely to get away.

37. mandy_Reeves says:

yes, If I tell them I am just browsing, I automatically seem to get followed…like one time, I was looking at PC games, just like look at the back of the box and putting them back where they belonged…I turn around, and this associate literally knocks into me he was following me so close!

I thought maybe he was overzealous, until I went further down to look at PS3 stuff…and who pops up but the same ASS-ociate! geez…then again when I went to look at tv’s he talked into his walkie talkie and I get followed there too!

38. flipdad1 says:

“Best Buy… …sent out an employee to hide in the trees and report her actions into his headset as she entered her car.”

I LOL’d. The geek squad badges must really be going to their heads… they are freaking losing it.

39. kataisa says:

It’s amazing to me how big-box stores like Best Buy still haven’t figured out that their biggest thefts occur via employees and professional scammers over the phone/internet, not by walk-in customers (soon to be former customers).

I personally make it a point to never patronize stores that treat me like a criminal.

40. jeff_the_snake says:

best buy always makes me feel like i’m about to be tackled when i walk out without buying anything. like it’s that hard to believe that even though i really need a laptop power adapter, for $100.00 i don’t need it that bad. i’ve just stopped going there, they don’t have anything that can’t be purchased cheaper somewhere else.

41. u1itn0w2day says:

oh well, my file/security camera portfolio must be 10 feet thick at this point. The retailers always cry how all that theft affects their bottom line and prices.

In the meantime the real theives, the professionals are robbing them blind fooling a so called professional security force. It almost sounds like the security teams are trying to document they’re doing something other than looking at cleavage or sleeping.

42. oldwiz65 says:

Has no one thought of the possibility that the Best Buy employee was actually a stalker looking for her plate number to track her down to assault her? This is one way people recognize perverts. If the person had been a teenager she would have been justified calling the police and saying she was being stalked by a pervert.

43. physics2010 says:

So they already know which car is hers…. (hiding in the trees, not following)
    Hiding, but not one of the plainclothes security staff….

Even if they were in a hurry it seems like it would be easier just to send an employee out on a smoke break with pen and paper. Oh well. Guess they didn’t have time to dress him like a ninja and play Mission Impossible music over the PA. You should probably remove the tinfoil from your purse and they’ll stop following you.

44. mcgyver210 says:

If I saw this I would have called the Police on the Stalker & requested an investigation into the unlawful stalking & the possible criminal intent by the employee maybe planning to do harm to me since I have the right to be in fear of the employees intentions. I would also take my IPhone out & take pics of the stalker.

Stores need to learn a lesson about invasion of privacy & stalking

45. Caffinehog says:

I often have similar problems with 24-hour stores.
    Just the other day, I walked out the door of a 24-hour pharmacy without buying anything. I ignored the cashier as she asked if she could help me find what I was looking for. (I was just browsing. I have insomnia.) She followed me out the door, wrote down my license plate number, and got on her cell phone. (probably to call the police) I’ve also had a security guard follow me out of a 24-hour grocery store when I didn’t buy anything.
    These incidents are annoying, really. They work against the company, too. These companies put up loss leaders in their ads, just to get people in the store. But when I come in on my own free will and don’t make them take a loss, I get treated like a criminal? I suppose the late night thing makes people suspicious, but why? They’re open and I’m awake. And what time of day do they really think most thefts occur? Criminals sleep, too.

46. Jade says:

I don’t go in there because I can’t walk two steps without being interrogated. I was trying to buy a camera case a few months ago and an employee came up, asked me if I needed help and I said I was just trying to decide. Then a female employee who had seen this came up moments later and asked me if I needed anything. I said no thanks. She proceeded to stand there and blatantly stare at me. I grabbed the case I’d been looking at and started to walk to the register and she followed me so closely she stepped on my heels. TWICE. Now, mind you, this isn’t a case for a little digital camera, it’s a multi-camera case I could not possibly conceal in any way. I then walked around the store, looking at car stereos, TV’s, etc. etc. for twenty minutes while she practically breathed down my shoulder. I spotted a manger, walked up and handed him the case and took money out of my pocket and calmly said “I was planning on purchasing this case but I feel so uncomfortable in this store now that I’m giving this to you and going home to make a complaint. Thanks” and I left. Jerks.

47. mystery79 says:

I live in Ohio so I would also like to know which location it is. I’m pretty sure it’s not the one I usually go to seeing as how there aren’t any trees near by but still, I agree with the point plenty of others made.

When it comes to chains, plenty of store managers act on their own and aren’t always following store policy. You’re making the chain look bad (or worse than some folks think it is) by protecting the individual stores that are doing this stuff.

48. Puddy Tat says:

She should call the police and press charges because he very well may have been wanking off watching her the whole time! And if the manager said anything he could have been in the next bush over doing the same exact thing!

49. Eli the Ice Man says:

Epic boner killer!

50. squirrel says:

“boner killer”?

Nothing like a bit of misandry to start the day…

51. Bby says:

So let me get this straight. According to the OP, the Best Buy employee was scoping her out. Her opinion anyway. Did he follow her? Did he take pictures of her? Did he write anything down? Did he approach her and accuse her of anything? NO. He was TALKING into a headset. The OP may want to go on Oprah to talk about her horrible experience.

Best Buy in fact does this in certain stores to protect their customers from inflated prices due to actual theft. Contrary to what you Consumerist tools believe I’m sure, there is not a certain looking or type of person who steals. It could be anyone. Guess what? She didn’t steal anything, and by it not going further if they were checking on her they know it too. What’s the harm done? Nothing. Except more venom from Phil directed at a company trying to protect their customers. Sad.

52. Project Raven says:

I’m a current employee of Best Buy. Naturally, I’m not going to tell you which one, but I can at least reassure some of you of a few things. As I read over some of these comments, of course I’m disgusted at some of the behavior I see being described about other Best Buy employees. If these things truly did happen, that’s not right. Customers shopping here certainly deserve a higher standard of service. I can assure you that I and my co-workers at my local store devote 110% to customer care, and I also am familiar with Asset Protection, I’ve never been told to go out and pull license plates. Nor have any of the coworkers that I’ve met. I wish I could apologize to you, but it wouldn’t be an appropriately placed apology because I have no connection with any of the employees of the store you were at. Have a nice day, though. :)